Posted to rec.food.cooking
U.S. Janet B. U.S. Janet B. is offline

Default Donating to the Food Bank

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 08:32:46 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-10-12 12:34 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 23:58:24 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>> snip
>>

>>> They are getting pretty picky of they don't want glass. That is the way
>>> some things are packaged.

>> snip
>>
>> Glass containers can break, particularly in a food drive situation.
>> The contents from broken containers spill and ruin the surrounding
>> food.

>Okay. They can try to be a little more careful. Some things come in
>bottles and jars. They are donations and can be treated with a little
>bit of respect.

I am not familiar with a situation where careful comes into play. Like
Jill's situation, I see collection bins on a pallet. Like those huge
boxes you see watermelons in, or pumpkins or winter squash. You dump
your offering in and someone behind you dumps their offering. There
are semis parked nearby and a guy with a front-end loader is picking
up these pallet boxes and running them into a truck. There's no
little old lady sitting at a table accepting 6 cans of tuna. There
are cars in a block long line behind me waiting to off load their
stuff, often little children are helping drop things into the box.
Cans can survive that, glass not so much.
Janet US