Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Donating to the Food Bank

Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 03:12:26 -0400 (EDT), Cheryl wrote:
>
> > "Julie Bove" > Wrote in message:
> >>
> >> But those are not canned and... The people who receive them may

> not have the >> necessary ingredients to make them. I remember
> hearing on the radio some >> years ago about a woman who had so
> little that she didn't even have a pan or >> a stove. They said if
> you were going to donate to keep that in mind. Most >> anything can
> be eaten straight from the can. Might be better if chilled or >>
> heated but...
> >
> > I don't know about this but do those being recipients have the
> > option to just not take what they can't use, while others could
> > make use of something like that? Or do they just get a bag of
> > stuff and there are things they can't use so they toss it? That
> > doesn't make sense to me

> Everything will find a place with somebody who can use it. Pantries
> that serve mostly homeless people, they tend to give away the Vienna
> Snausages and pop top cans of soups and stews. The church pantries
> that serve a more general population will be able to give the rice and
> pastas to somebody who can supplement it with extra ingredients and
> proper cooking. 95+% of the people utilizing food pantries are not
> dead broke and homeless, for those, the supplied food is meant to
> supplement their meager, not cover the total cost of food.
>
> -sw

Correct.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >, says...
> >
> > There's going to be a big event/food bank drive on Dataw on
> > 10/29/17. It's in conjunction with a golf tournament.
> >
> > The organizers are going to set out 19 collection bins around the
> > island that morning for food donations. One of the bins will be
> > just down the street. I'll be donating.
> >
> > They're asking for canned food due to the long shelf-life. Also,
> > the collection bins will be sitting outside for hours. No frozen
> > or refrigerated food, please. Oh, and the people coming around to
> > pick up the donations that afternoon won't have any way to guard
> > against glass bottles/jars breaking so they'd rather none of those,
> > either.
> >
> > I was told along with canned vegetables the emphasis is really on
> > protein. Peanut butter (in plastic jars) was suggested. Along
> > with canned beans, I'm thinking dried beans.

> Dried beans need plenty of cooking, People who are homeless don't
> have facilities and poor people often don't cook because of the fuel
> cost... so rice spices and dry herbs might not be usable. Best to
> give stuff that can be eaten cold from a tin (tuna,salmon, fruit,
> canned rice) or just warmed up quickly (baked beans).
>
> Janet UK

I'm sorry, it may not have been clear. This isnt just homeless with
USA foodbanks, but those on limited income who do have pots, pans, and
ability to cook. Just short of money and leading to eating dog or cat
food if they don't have help.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 18:00:57 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Janet wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>> Dried beans need plenty of cooking, People who are homeless don't
>> have facilities and poor people often don't cook because of the fuel
>> cost... so rice spices and dry herbs might not be usable. Best to
>> give stuff that can be eaten cold from a tin (tuna,salmon, fruit,
>> canned rice) or just warmed up quickly (baked beans).
>>
>> Janet UK

>I'm sorry, it may not have been clear. This isnt just homeless with
>USA foodbanks, but those on limited income who do have pots, pans, and
>ability to cook. Just short of money and leading to eating dog or cat
>food if they don't have help.

Do they know that most dog and cat food contains full, uncleaned
bowels of cows etc?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2017 5:10 PM, Bruce wrote:
> most dog and cat food contains full, uncleaned
> bowels of cows

Thank you Bwuthie dear, now please go eat some and STFU!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 7:55:46 AM UTC-5, Janet wrote:

> Don't you believe it; I've encounterd people who have a home with no
> power, heating or light because they can't pay the bill; so the stove is
> useless and they can't cook anything.
>
> Janet UK

I'm assuming people in the UK have to pay property taxes each year
on their home. If this is not the case, please correct. But if
these people you speak of have homes but can't afford to pay their
utility bills how are they able to pay the property tax bill each
year??

If they work, then they take showers at work or a local hostel?
Where do they wash their clothes if they have no power at home
to do their laundry? Or do they have water at home to use the
bathroom or do they visit a local gas station, quick mart, etc.
to take care of bodily functions?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 14:58:14 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 16:52:06 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>>On 2017-10-11 4:41 PM, wrote:
>>> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 16:32:59 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> Good point Dave! They shouldn't be allowed anything comforting to
>>> them! I would love to think you might fall on hard times sometime in
>>> the future!

>>Do you consider cigarette smoking to be comforting to someone when they
>>light up next to you in a building? It does make me wonder about the
>>need to get food at a food bank when they are spending more on
>>cigarettes than it would cost to by food in a grocery store.
>>

>Sometimes when someone has nothing, one thing is all that they have.
>It may be cigarettes, drugs or sex or even a dog that trails along
>after them.

Thank you Janet, at least one person understands
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 17:09:21 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-10-11 5:00 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 16:52:06 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> Do you consider cigarette smoking to be comforting to someone when they
>>> light up next to you in a building? It does make me wonder about the
>>> need to get food at a food bank when they are spending more on
>>> cigarettes than it would cost to by food in a grocery store.

>> That's addiction for you. Feeding the addiction comes first. When I
>> was a poor student and a smoker, I could run out of money for
>> anything, but not for smokes

>Maybe it would work better if we just ran cigarette banks instead of
>food banks. The smokers could get free cigarettes and that would leave
>them with money to buy food.

Humbug you self righteous sob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 16:12:52 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 7:55:46 AM UTC-5, Janet wrote:
>>
>> Don't you believe it; I've encounterd people who have a home with no
>> power, heating or light because they can't pay the bill; so the stove is
>> useless and they can't cook anything.
>>
>> Janet UK
>>

>I'm assuming people in the UK have to pay property taxes each year
>on their home. If this is not the case, please correct. But if
>these people you speak of have homes but can't afford to pay their
>utility bills how are they able to pay the property tax bill each
>year??

= rates in the UK

>If they work, then they take showers at work or a local hostel?
>Where do they wash their clothes if they have no power at home
>to do their laundry? Or do they have water at home to use the
>bathroom or do they visit a local gas station, quick mart, etc.
>to take care of bodily functions?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Casa lo pensa" > wrote in message
news
> On 10/11/2017 2:52 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2017-10-11 4:41 PM, wrote:
>>> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 16:32:59 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> Good point Dave! They shouldn't be allowed anything comforting to
>>> them! I would love to think you might fall on hard times sometime in
>>> the future!

>> Do you consider cigarette smoking to be comforting to someone when they
>> light up next to you in a building? It does make me wonder about the need
>> to get food at a food bank when they are spending more on cigarettes than
>> it would cost to by food in a grocery store.

> Better check them for aspirin too, no pain whiners allowed.

Since I still love the smell of cigarette smoke, I would find it comforting.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 18:00:57 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>>Janet wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>>
>>> Dried beans need plenty of cooking, People who are homeless don't
>>> have facilities and poor people often don't cook because of the fuel
>>> cost... so rice spices and dry herbs might not be usable. Best to
>>> give stuff that can be eaten cold from a tin (tuna,salmon, fruit,
>>> canned rice) or just warmed up quickly (baked beans).
>>>
>>> Janet UK

>>I'm sorry, it may not have been clear. This isnt just homeless with
>>USA foodbanks, but those on limited income who do have pots, pans, and
>>ability to cook. Just short of money and leading to eating dog or cat
>>food if they don't have help.

> Do they know that most dog and cat food contains full, uncleaned
> bowels of cows etc?

What? No ingredient list? You're slipping.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 17:48:34 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>I'm sorry, it may not have been clear. This isnt just homeless with
>>>USA foodbanks, but those on limited income who do have pots, pans, and
>>>ability to cook. Just short of money and leading to eating dog or cat
>>>food if they don't have help.

>> Do they know that most dog and cat food contains full, uncleaned
>> bowels of cows etc?

>What? No ingredient list? You're slipping.

If I do it too often, it might become annoying.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 7:04:03 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 16:12:52 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >I'm assuming people in the UK have to pay property taxes each year
> >on their home. If this is not the case, please correct. But if
> >these people you speak of have homes but can't afford to pay their
> >utility bills how are they able to pay the property tax bill each
> >year??

> = rates in the UK

Explanation, please.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 7:55:46 AM UTC-5, Janet wrote:
> >
> > Don't you believe it; I've encounterd people who have a home with no
> > power, heating or light because they can't pay the bill; so the stove is
> > useless and they can't cook anything.
> >
> > Janet UK

> I'm assuming people in the UK have to pay property taxes each year
> on their home. If this is not the case, please correct.

There is a property tax payable on each dwelling, but it's not always
payable by the inhabitants. Homeless mothers with children are often
accommodated in a Bed and Breakfast (one room): they don't pay CT, or
have access to cooking facilities or washing machine.

But if
> these people you speak of have homes but can't afford to pay their
> utility bills how are they able to pay the property tax bill each
> year??

The name of that tax is Council Tax. Some people supported by certain
state benefits are not charged CT.

> If they work, then they take showers at work or a local hostel?

Showers provided at workplaces are the exception rather than the rule
here.

> Where do they wash their clothes if they have no power at home
> to do their laundry?

Some people wear the same clothes every day and don't wash.

Or do they have water at home to use the
> bathroom or do they visit a local gas station, quick mart, etc.
> to take care of bodily functions?

Have you never been in a public lavatory and wondered why there's
someone in there washing her hair or feet in the sink?

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 17:48:34 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:

>>What? No ingredient list? You're slipping.

> If I do it too often, it might become annoying.

Oh no, why would you ever think that?

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote

> Do they know that most dog and cat food contains full, uncleaned
> bowels of cows etc?

A lot healthier than the shit you spew. LOL-LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 7:04:03 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 16:12:52 -0700 (PDT), "
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >I'm assuming people in the UK have to pay property taxes each year
> > >on their home. If this is not the case, please correct. But if
> > >these people you speak of have homes but can't afford to pay their
> > >utility bills how are they able to pay the property tax bill each
> > >year??

> > = rates in the UK

UK "rates" were replaced over 20 years ago. Then we had poll Tax. Now
it's Council Tax, which is graduated a different way.

> Explanation, please.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_Tax

"Council Tax is a local taxation system used in England, Scotland and
Wales. It is a tax on domestic property which was introduced in 1993 by
the Local Government Finance Act 1992, replacing the Community Charge
(popularly known as the Poll Tax). Each property is assigned one of
eight bands (A to H) based on property value, and the tax is set as a
fixed amount for each band. Some property is exempt from the tax, some
people are exempt from the tax, while some get a discount."

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 7:58:45 PM UTC-5, Janet wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
> >
> > On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 7:55:46 AM UTC-5, Janet wrote:
> > >
> > > Don't you believe it; I've encounterd people who have a home with no
> > > power, heating or light because they can't pay the bill; so the stove is
> > > useless and they can't cook anything.
> > >
> > > Janet UK

> > I'm assuming people in the UK have to pay property taxes each year
> > on their home. If this is not the case, please correct.

> There is a property tax payable on each dwelling, but it's not always
> payable by the inhabitants. Homeless mothers with children are often
> accommodated in a Bed and Breakfast (one room): they don't pay CT, or
> have access to cooking facilities or washing machine.

Property taxes here are paid by the owner. If a person rents a home
they don't pay the taxes.

> But if
> > these people you speak of have homes but can't afford to pay their
> > utility bills how are they able to pay the property tax bill each
> > year??

> The name of that tax is Council Tax. Some people supported by certain
> state benefits are not charged CT.

Ok, that would be termed the projects here and they don't pay property
tax. But they have to meet certain requirements to be able to live
in these dwellings. Usually, not always, if there is any crime or
criminal activity it mostly originates in these low income housings.

> > If they work, then they take showers at work or a local hostel?

> Showers provided at workplaces are the exception rather than the rule
> here.

Many of the large companies here provide workout facilities and showers
for their employees. But of course the smaller companies do not.

> > Where do they wash their clothes if they have no power at home
> > to do their laundry?

> Some people wear the same clothes every day and don't wash.

Those would be our homeless people here.

> Or do they have water at home to use the
> > bathroom or do they visit a local gas station, quick mart, etc.
> > to take care of bodily functions?

> Have you never been in a public lavatory and wondered why there's
> someone in there washing her hair or feet in the sink?
>
> Janet UK

No, thankfully I haven't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 18:34:55 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 17:48:34 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>What? No ingredient list? You're slipping.

>> If I do it too often, it might become annoying.

>Oh no, why would you ever think that?

It's like with smokers. Yes, they need to know what's in cigarettes,
but don't tell them every day. They'd get stressed and smoke more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_Tax
>
> "Council Tax is a local taxation system used in England, Scotland and
>Wales. It is a tax on domestic property which was introduced in 1993 by
>the Local Government Finance Act 1992, replacing the Community Charge
>(popularly known as the Poll Tax). Each property is assigned one of
>eight bands (A to H).

Thats nothing new...
I've been intimately familiar with A to H all my life.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
web.com...
> "Julie Bove" > Wrote in message:
>>
>> > wrote in message

>>> Don't shoot the messenger but how about donating some boxes of
>>> Hamburger Helper or boxes of macaroni and/or spaghetti? These
>>> are all shelf stable items.

>> But those are not canned and... The people who receive them may not have
>> the
>> necessary ingredients to make them. I remember hearing on the radio some
>> years ago about a woman who had so little that she didn't even have a pan
>> or
>> a stove. They said if you were going to donate to keep that in mind. Most
>> anything can be eaten straight from the can. Might be better if chilled
>> or
>> heated but...
>>

> I don't know about this but do those being recipients have the
> option to just not take what they can't use, while others could
> make use of something like that? Or do they just get a bag of
> stuff and there are things they can't use so they toss it? That
> doesn't make sense to me

It really depends. My friend who used the food bank many years ago said that
some were set up like a store and you could pick and choose. But others just
gave you a bag or two of stuff. No choice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 12:45:08 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message

>> > Don't shoot the messenger but how about donating some boxes of
>> > Hamburger Helper or boxes of macaroni and/or spaghetti? These
>> > are all shelf stable items.

>> But those are not canned and...
>>

> Learn to read, dummy. Jill's post said they are requesting
> ***shelf-stable AND/OR canned items.*** About the only people
> that will be, if any, eating directly out of the can are going
> to be transients aka drifter/hobo/homeless.

That's not necessarily true. And in this area, many served by the food bank
*are* homeless.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 8:58:48 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
>
> > Learn to read, dummy. Jill's post said they are requesting
> > ***shelf-stable AND/OR canned items.*** About the only people
> > that will be, if any, eating directly out of the can are going
> > to be transients aka drifter/hobo/homeless.

> That's not necessarily true. And in this area, many served by the food bank
> *are* homeless.

Is that not what I said, dumb ass?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> says...

>> > But those are not canned and...
>> >

>> Learn to read, dummy. Jill's post said they are requesting
>> ***shelf-stable AND/OR canned items.*** About the only people
>> that will be, if any, eating directly out of the can are going
>> to be transients aka drifter/hobo/homeless.

> Don't you believe it; I've encounterd people who have a home with no
> power, heating or light because they can't pay the bill; so the stove is
> useless and they can't cook anything.

Yes. I went to school with a family of kids who had no electricity or
running water most of the time. When they did have electricity, the only
thing they had to cook in was a popcorn popper. I never saw the thing but my
friend said that canned soup could be heated in it. They did own the house
but the appliances had long since broken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Janet wrote:
>>
>> Don't you believe it; I've encounterd people who have a home with no
>> power, heating or light because they can't pay the bill; so the stove is
>> useless and they can't cook anything.

> So you helped them out a bit, right?
>
> Yep, I didn't think so.
>
> Anyone can build a fire outside and cook anything.
> Your story was completely made up.

That's simply not true.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 19:04:33 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 8:58:48 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message
>>
>> > Learn to read, dummy. Jill's post said they are requesting
>> > ***shelf-stable AND/OR canned items.*** About the only people
>> > that will be, if any, eating directly out of the can are going
>> > to be transients aka drifter/hobo/homeless.

>> That's not necessarily true. And in this area, many served by the food bank
>> *are* homeless.
>>

>Is that not what I said, dumb ass?

Do you know how this makes YOU look?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2017 9:37 PM, Janet wrote:

> UK "rates" were replaced over 20 years ago. Then we had poll Tax. Now
> it's Council Tax, which is graduated a different way.
>

>> Explanation, please.

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_Tax
>
> "Council Tax is a local taxation system used in England, Scotland and
> Wales. It is a tax on domestic property which was introduced in 1993 by
> the Local Government Finance Act 1992, replacing the Community Charge
> (popularly known as the Poll Tax). Each property is assigned one of
> eight bands (A to H) based on property value, and the tax is set as a
> fixed amount for each band. Some property is exempt from the tax, some
> people are exempt from the tax, while some get a discount."
>
> Janet UK

Sounds at least as complex as our system.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-10-10 10:42 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> There's going to be a big event/food bank drive on Dataw on 10/29/17.
> It's in conjunction with a golf tournament.
>
> The organizers are going to set out 19 collection bins around the island
> that morning for food donations.Â* One of the bins will be just down the
> street.Â* I'll be donating.
>
> They're asking for *canned* food due to the long shelf-life.Â* Also, the
> collection bins will be sitting outside for hours.Â* No frozen or
> refrigerated food, please.Â* Oh, and the people coming around to pick up
> the donations that afternoon won't have any way to guard against glass
> bottles/jars breaking so they'd rather none of those, either.

They are getting pretty picky of they don't want glass. That is the way
some things are packaged.

> I was told along with canned vegetables the emphasis is really on
> protein.Â* Peanut butter (in plastic jars) was suggested.Â* Along with
> canned beans, I'm thinking dried beans.Â* Canned broth.Â* Rice is a starch
> but if, as I suspect, many of the recipients will be local migrant farm
> workers, perhaps they might like some rice with those beans.Â* More
> protein: canned chunk chicken, tuna, salmon. Spam.

My wife works regularly in her church's food and hygiene pantry. She
said that canned meats, steaks, tuna and salmon are good things to
donate. Pasta and sauces go over well. It's easy cook and people like it.

> I'm also thinking canned fruit.Â* Not everything is about protein.

It is a good option for those who like fruit and can't afford it.

> How about some dried herbs and spices?

Probably not so much.

> Any other suggestions for shelf-stable and/or or canned items to put in
> the food bank bin?Â* I thought about canned tomatoes.Â* But if this is
> indeed mostly going to feed the local farm workers, they're the ones who
> have been picking the tomatoes for months.Â* They're probably sick of them.

Ha. That reminded me of the half day I worked as a strawberry picker
when I was 14. I worked my butt off crawling along picking them and
earned less than 50 cents and hour. I probably would have made more had
I not eaten so many of the berries I picked. I had no interest in eating
strawberries for many years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 23:58:24 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:
snip

>They are getting pretty picky of they don't want glass. That is the way
>some things are packaged.

snip

Glass containers can break, particularly in a food drive situation.
The contents from broken containers spill and ruin the surrounding
food.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 09:14:58 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>Janet wrote:
>>>
>>> Don't you believe it; I've encounterd people who have a home with no
>>> power, heating or light because they can't pay the bill; so the stove is
>>> useless and they can't cook anything.

>>So you helped them out a bit, right?
>>
>>Yep, I didn't think so.
>>
>>Anyone can build a fire outside and cook anything.
>>Your story was completely made up.

> What if you get canned food from a charity, but you can't afford a can
> opener?

I try to choose cans with pop top lids when I donate but...

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/food-coc...ut-can-opener/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2017-10-11 4:41 PM, wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 16:32:59 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> Try to open it with your bottle opener or a cigarette lighter. I know
>>> there are lots of people who truly need help, but there are also lots
>>> who need to set their priorities.
>>>
>>> I have helped out with food drives and I used to help with the food and
>>> hygiene bank at my wife's church. One of their usual customers is one of
>>> our former neighbour's sons. He can afford drugs and booze. Many of them
>>> are puffing away on cigarettes on their way in and out of the food bank.
>>> It seems they can afford the $10 or so that it costs for a package of
>>> cigarettes but they can't afford food.
>>>

>> Good point Dave! They shouldn't be allowed anything comforting to
>> them! I would love to think you might fall on hard times sometime in
>> the future!

> Do you consider cigarette smoking to be comforting to someone when they
> light up next to you in a building? It does make me wonder about the need
> to get food at a food bank when they are spending more on cigarettes than
> it would cost to by food in a grocery store.

I never had to get food from a food bank but I did smoke for 27 years.
Believe me, there were times when I would choose smoking over food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 16:52:06 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>>On 2017-10-11 4:41 PM, wrote:
>>> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 16:32:59 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> Good point Dave! They shouldn't be allowed anything comforting to
>>> them! I would love to think you might fall on hard times sometime in
>>> the future!

>>Do you consider cigarette smoking to be comforting to someone when they
>>light up next to you in a building? It does make me wonder about the
>>need to get food at a food bank when they are spending more on
>>cigarettes than it would cost to by food in a grocery store.
>>

> Sometimes when someone has nothing, one thing is all that they have.
> It may be cigarettes, drugs or sex or even a dog that trails along
> after them.

I also think it's easier if you are out and about to get a cigarette from
someone than it is food. How many times has anyone ever asked you for food?
I can only think of one time when I was out and about. I had a package of
string cheese at the park. Two little kids asked me for some. I did give
them some after asking their mother first if it was okay. She was very
grateful as they had no food.

I have had people ask me while in my house, call and ask or stop by and ask
for food. Some people do know of my stockpile and I also keep a lot of
single serve snack type things because we do have a lot of people in and out
of here. However, these are all people I know.

When I smoked, rarely a day went by that I was out and about that someone
did not ask for a cigarette. All it took was for me to light one up in
public.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>
>> That's addiction for you. Feeding the addiction comes first. When I
>> was a poor student and a smoker, I could run out of money for
>> anything, but not for smokes

> Yep, I seldomly ate lunch when I was in high school due to spending the
> lunch money on cigarettes, but that didn't mean I wasn't hungry at
> lunchtime.

I lived on trail mix in high school. I bought bulk ingredients and made my
own. Always kept some in my purse. And cigarettes too! 50 cents a pack in
those days, at least at some places. I usually did have to pay more as it
was easier for me to get them out of a machine. Machines didn't check for
ID. My wages were around $2 per hour and I didn't work many hours so that
pack had to last me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
> "Casa lo pensa" > wrote in message
> news

>>> Do you consider cigarette smoking to be comforting to someone when they
>>> light up next to you in a building? It does make me wonder about the
>>> need to get food at a food bank when they are spending more on
>>> cigarettes than it would cost to by food in a grocery store.

>> Better check them for aspirin too, no pain whiners allowed.

> Since I still love the smell of cigarette smoke, I would find it
> comforting.

Heh. My gardener smokes. I keep sniffing it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 23:32:44 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>So you helped them out a bit, right?
>>>
>>>Yep, I didn't think so.
>>>
>>>Anyone can build a fire outside and cook anything.
>>>Your story was completely made up.

>> What if you get canned food from a charity, but you can't afford a can
>> opener?

>I try to choose cans with pop top lids when I donate but...
>
>http://www.cosmopolitan.com/food-coc...ut-can-opener/

Russians are good at cheap solutions. Westerners would invent an
Automatic Pneumatic Can Processing Apparatus(TM).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 7:55:46 AM UTC-5, Janet wrote:
>>
>> Don't you believe it; I've encounterd people who have a home with no
>> power, heating or light because they can't pay the bill; so the stove is
>> useless and they can't cook anything.
>>
>> Janet UK
>>

> I'm assuming people in the UK have to pay property taxes each year
> on their home. If this is not the case, please correct. But if
> these people you speak of have homes but can't afford to pay their
> utility bills how are they able to pay the property tax bill each
> year??

I'm not in the UK but my property taxes and my insurance are bundled into my
house payment. Of course if the house is paid off, taxes are paid on their
own.

You do realize that even here in the US, some people buy homes, can't make
the payments and the house gets foreclosed on. In some cases, people can
live there for up to two years with no payments until they are forced out.
This happened to my former neighbor. He bought a small house that was
identical to this one but built in reverse to it. This house has been added
on to and remodeled. He did that kind of work for a living and attempted to
make his house huge and fancy. That's when things went bad.

The whole reason for his remodel was so he could move his elderly dad in to
live with him. But the dad died. He sunk into a deep depression just as the
economy began to tank. So not only did he not feel like working, but no jobs
were coming in and he couldn't finish his house. I didn't realize how bad
his house was until the day he moved out. He said no rooms were finished. He
still had the old bathroom and a shell of a kitchen. No floors anywhere.
Just the subflooring. The roof wasn't finished and water leaked in. Most of
the time he had no running water or electricity. No heat.

I also found out he was a hoarder. I never saw him put out trash or
recycling. I assumed he hauled it somewhere with his work truck. Nope. When
the house was cleaned out, the entire driveway was filled with trash bags
and assorted stuff in piles that reached to the second story. Rats
everywhere. Grass about 5 feet tall and filled with construction debris.

So what did he eat? I gave him occasional produce from my garden and allowed
him to pick the fruit from my trees. He owned a real cherry picker so that
was easy for him to do. Neighbor on the other side occasionally gave him
things like baked goods. A woman would appear about once a month with a
cooler full of food and some grocery bags. We don't know who she was. She
seemed to stay for a day or two then leave. And once or twice a week we
would see him leave, often on his bike and return with a brown paper bag
which we assumed had food in it. I do know of a really good take out place
that puts their food in bags like that but it's a good 7 or so miles from
here. Of course there might be other places that use those bags. I just know
of that one because we used to go there.

> If they work, then they take showers at work or a local hostel?
> Where do they wash their clothes if they have no power at home
> to do their laundry? Or do they have water at home to use the
> bathroom or do they visit a local gas station, quick mart, etc.
> to take care of bodily functions?

The YMCA here allows people to shower as do some gyms. And we have this:

http://showertothepeople.webstarts.com/

I have made donations to them. They provide not only showers and laundry
facilities but meals, clothing and other things. Granted, it is intended for
homeless people but I doubt they would turn anyone away.

We also have a natural spring near here (near Martha Lake) with free water
for the taking. All you need is a container and a way to get there. Some
people store rain water too. Rain water might not be potable as is but
could be used for laundry.

As for the bodily functions, it would depend on where the person lived. Some
would have a 24 hour place nearby that would have a bathroom. Or they might
use a bottle, the ground, a bush...use your imagination.

Anyone else donating food to the occupiers? Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 148 14-10-2011 12:58 AM
Food Bank Omelet[_7_] General Cooking 60 01-10-2008 08:05 PM
Food Bank! jmcquown General Cooking 14 26-10-2006 08:40 PM
Food Event -- Foothill Unity Center, Inc. & L A Regional Food Bank Harriet Neal General Cooking 0 06-04-2006 05:32 AM
Food Bank! jmcquown General Cooking 32 13-05-2005 10:27 PM