Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Donating to the Food Bank

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 19:06:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message ...
>> Janet wrote:
>>>
>>> Don't you believe it; I've encounterd people who have a home with no
>>> power, heating or light because they can't pay the bill; so the stove is
>>> useless and they can't cook anything.

>> So you helped them out a bit, right?
>>
>> Yep, I didn't think so.
>>
>> Anyone can build a fire outside and cook anything.
>> Your story was completely made up.

>That's simply not true.

Why can't someone cook on a charcoal grill... I've done all kinds of
cooking on a cheapo $5 hibachi from John's Bargain Store.
When Hurricane Gloria hit my neighborhood had no power for nearly two
weeks, everyone was grilling the food from their freezers outdoors
rather than let it spoil... was a lot of cooked food, people's pets
had to help eat it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2017 10:07 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 09:36:25 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

>> (snipped)
>>>
>>> Lamest post everrrrrr. Lol
>>>

>> I'm pretty sure hungry people are not worried about the ingredients list.

> I'm pretty sure everybody should just killfile the troll so we don't
> have to hear of him.
>
> -sw

I do have him killfiled. People I don't have killfiled keep responding
to him so I see the quotes. I can't help but to respond to his
ridiculous "it's not healthy" claims. I can't figure out exactly what
Bruce eats. Maybe twigs and branches?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2017 1:45 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 9:42:15 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>>
>>> Any other suggestions for shelf-stable and/or or canned items to put in
>>> the food bank bin?Â* I thought about canned tomatoes.Â* But if this is
>>> indeed mostly going to feed the local farm workers, they're the ones who
>>> have been picking the tomatoes for months.Â* They're probably sick of
>>> them.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> Don't shoot the messenger but how about donating some boxes of
>> Hamburger Helper or boxes of macaroni and/or spaghetti?Â* These
>> are all shelf stable items.

> But those are not canned and... The people who receive them may not have
> the necessary ingredients to make them. I remember hearing on the radio
> some years ago about a woman who had so little that she didn't even have
> a pan or a stove. They said if you were going to donate to keep that in
> mind. Most anything can be eaten straight from the can. Might be better
> if chilled or heated but...

If I had a dime for every time a homeless guy asked me for change, Id
still say no.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2017 12:25 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> I can't figure out exactly what Bruce eats.Â* Maybe twigs and branches?
>
> Jill

LOLOL!!!

The Koala bear diet...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2017 12:39 PM, Casa lo pensa wrote:
> On 10/11/2017 1:45 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message

>>> Don't shoot the messenger but how about donating some boxes of
>>> Hamburger Helper or boxes of macaroni and/or spaghetti?Â* These
>>> are all shelf stable items.

>> But those are not canned and... The people who receive them may not
>> have the necessary ingredients to make them. I remember hearing on the
>> radio some years ago about a woman who had so little that she didn't
>> even have a pan or a stove. They said if you were going to donate to
>> keep that in mind. Most anything can be eaten straight from the can.
>> Might be better if chilled or heated but...
> >

> If I had a dime for every time a homeless guy asked me for change, Id
> still say no.

forged
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2017 12:40 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I was on the bus once and these two guys in front of me were talking.

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org...ntation-057jpg

Hide the Ho Ho's!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 14:25:07 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 10/12/2017 10:07 AM, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> (snipped)

>>> I'm pretty sure hungry people are not worried about the ingredients list.

>> I'm pretty sure everybody should just killfile the troll so we don't
>> have to hear of him.
>>
>> -sw
>>

>I do have him killfiled. People I don't have killfiled keep responding
>to him so I see the quotes. I can't help but to respond to his
>ridiculous "it's not healthy" claims. I can't figure out exactly what
>Bruce eats. Maybe twigs and branches?

You keep asking these questions about me, yet you have me killfiled.
Now that's silly.

And what's so offensive about an ingredient list, especially in a
newsgroup? If you don't mind eating all those chemicals, nobody's
trying to stop you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2017 12:43 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> heat liquids. Sheesh.

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org...ntation-057jpg

Hide the Ho Ho's!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2017 12:44 PM, Bruc wrote:
> And what's so offensive about an ingredient list, especially in a
> newsgroup?

**** off, TROLL!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2017 12:49 PM, Bruce wrote:
> This was junior school behaviour.

Iow your norm...yes...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>Dave Smith wrote:
>
>>They are getting pretty picky of they don't want glass. That is the way
>>some things are packaged.

>Glass containers can break, particularly in a food drive situation.
>The contents from broken containers spill and ruin the surrounding
>food.

It's easy peasy to keep glass containers separate... and there aren't
all that many foods in glass today that people are likely to donate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruc" > wrote in message

> And what's so offensive about an ingredient list, especially in a
> newsgroup? If you don't mind eating all those chemicals, nobody's
> trying to stop you.

Not offensive, but people can read the ingredients on their own if they
choose, so it's tiresome, and quite frankly, it's boring.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > speaking of Bruce

> I do have him killfiled. People I don't have killfiled keep responding to
> him so I see the quotes. I can't help but to respond to his ridiculous
> "it's not healthy" claims. I can't figure out exactly what Bruce eats.
> Maybe twigs and branches?
>
> Jill

Surely not, where would he get an ingredient list for the bark and leaves?
;-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 12:17:36 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Bruc" > wrote in message
.. .

>> And what's so offensive about an ingredient list, especially in a
>> newsgroup? If you don't mind eating all those chemicals, nobody's
>> trying to stop you.

>Not offensive, but people can read the ingredients on their own if they
>choose, so it's tiresome, and quite frankly, it's boring.

When someone brings up Uncle Toby's Pickled Hamster Balls, nobody will
know off the top of their head what's in them. So if I can find it,
I'll add that bit of info. And if you find it boring, you can just
skip it. I see plenty of posts that aren't very relevant to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 12:23:21 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"jmcquown" > speaking of Bruce
>
>> I do have him killfiled. People I don't have killfiled keep responding to
>> him so I see the quotes. I can't help but to respond to his ridiculous
>> "it's not healthy" claims. I can't figure out exactly what Bruce eats.
>> Maybe twigs and branches?
>>
>> Jill

>Surely not, where would he get an ingredient list for the bark and leaves?
>;-)

Fish, meat, vegetables, fruit are -or should be- all natural food
items. I'm only going on about prefab/processed stuff. Those are the
science projects.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 12:17:36 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Bruc" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> And what's so offensive about an ingredient list, especially in a
>>> newsgroup? If you don't mind eating all those chemicals, nobody's
>>> trying to stop you.

>>Not offensive, but people can read the ingredients on their own if they
>>choose, so it's tiresome, and quite frankly, it's boring.

> When someone brings up Uncle Toby's Pickled Hamster Balls, nobody will
> know off the top of their head what's in them. So if I can find it,
> I'll add that bit of info. And if you find it boring, you can just
> skip it. I see plenty of posts that aren't very relevant to me.

Believe me, I do skip troll-like, annoying behavior.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2017 1:23 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > speaking of Bruce
>
>> I do have him killfiled.* People I don't have killfiled keep
>> responding to him so I see the quotes.* I can't help but to respond to
>> his ridiculous "it's not healthy" claims.* I can't figure out exactly
>> what Bruce eats. Maybe twigs and branches?
>>
>> Jill

> Surely not, where would he get an ingredient list for the bark and
> leaves? ;-)
>
> Cheri

<chuckle>

Twig-Mart?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2017 1:24 PM, Bruce wrote:
> When someone brings up Uncle Toby's Pickled Hamster Balls, nobody will
> know off the top of their head what's in them. So if I can find it,
> I'll add that bit of info. And if you find it boring, you can just
> skip it.

How about enough of your absurd rationalizations - just LEAVE now!

Most everyone here despises you anyway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

They can't turn peoples electric or gas off here from Nov-Feb even if it's 80 degrees all winter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2017 1:46 PM, Bruce wrote:
> when I post ingredients, you call me boring, annoying and a troll.

Why yes, and?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 09:42:23 -0600, Casa lo pensa >
wrote:

>On 10/12/2017 3:45 AM, Janet wrote:
>> The changeover from old to new system includes a badly planned
>> hiatus in payments which is proving to be a bit of a nightmare for the
>> some of the neediest recipients.

>**** THE POOR!
>
>It's the englie way after all..

There are those who need food, those signed up for Meals on Wheels,
typically shut-ins, who are alone and ill. However the vast majority
patronizing food banks and living on food stamps really need a J O B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove > wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> They can't turn peoples electric or gas off here in the winter.

> They can here.

Washington state does have cold weather protection laws for customers that
qualify for energy assistance programs, however.

--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2017-10-12 12:34 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 23:58:24 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>> snip
>>

>>> They are getting pretty picky of they don't want glass. That is the way
>>> some things are packaged.

>> snip
>>
>> Glass containers can break, particularly in a food drive situation.
>> The contents from broken containers spill and ruin the surrounding
>> food.

> Okay. They can try to be a little more careful. Some things come in
> bottles and jars. They are donations and can be treated with a little bit
> of respect.

Plenty of things come in cans or plastic. No need for glass.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2017-10-12 11:17 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 08:32:46 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> Okay. They can try to be a little more careful. Some things come in
>>> bottles and jars. They are donations and can be treated with a little
>>> bit of respect.

>> I am not familiar with a situation where careful comes into play. Like
>> Jill's situation, I see collection bins on a pallet. Like those huge
>> boxes you see watermelons in, or pumpkins or winter squash. You dump
>> your offering in and someone behind you dumps their offering. There
>> are semis parked nearby and a guy with a front-end loader is picking
>> up these pallet boxes and running them into a truck. There's no
>> little old lady sitting at a table accepting 6 cans of tuna. There
>> are cars in a block long line behind me waiting to off load their
>> stuff, often little children are helping drop things into the box.
>> Cans can survive that, glass not so much.

> Okay then. Their problem is with the process. I have worked on food drives
> where volunteers went door to door. There had been advance notice and some
> people had filled bags and left them on the porch. Someone with a pickup
> truck was with the group and they would load the bags of donations into
> the truck. The trucks then drove to the organization's depot and unloaded
> them by hand...carefully.

Not the same. This is an emergency situation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > Janet wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> > > In article >,
> > > says...

> those, >>> either.

> >> Dried beans need plenty of cooking, People who are homeless don't
> > > have facilities and poor people often don't cook because of the
> > > fuel cost... so rice spices and dry herbs might not be usable.
> > > Best to give stuff that can be eaten cold from a tin
> > > (tuna,salmon, fruit, canned rice) or just warmed up quickly
> > > (baked beans).
> > >
> >> Janet UK

> > I'm sorry, it may not have been clear. This isnt just homeless with
> > USA foodbanks, but those on limited income who do have pots, pans,
> > and ability to cook. Just short of money and leading to eating dog
> > or cat food if they don't have help.

> At my food bank, many are homeless.

Understood Julie but the point is, across the nation this isnt always
the case. Don't 'assume' all using a food bank are homeless. More are
just a step away from that, than are actually homeless.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2017 3:23 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > speaking of Bruce
>
>> I do have him killfiled.* People I don't have killfiled keep
>> responding to him so I see the quotes.* I can't help but to respond to
>> his ridiculous "it's not healthy" claims.* I can't figure out exactly
>> what Bruce eats. Maybe twigs and branches?
>>
>> Jill

> Surely not, where would he get an ingredient list for the bark and
> leaves? ;-)
>
> Cheri

Maybe Euell Gibbons could give him a clue. Oh wait. He's dead.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 10:06:11 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 19:04:33 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >Is that not what I said, dumb ass?

> Do you know how this makes YOU look?

How's this?? I don't give a damn how it makes me look.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 2:18:58 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
> >>

> > I'm assuming people in the UK have to pay property taxes each year
> > on their home.

> I'm not in the UK but my property taxes and my insurance are bundled into my
> house payment. Of course if the house is paid off, taxes are paid on their
> own.

Duh.

> You do realize that even here in the US, some people buy homes, can't make
> the payments and the house gets foreclosed on.

Duh.

> > If they work, then they take showers at work or a local hostel?

> The YMCA here allows people to shower as do some gyms. And we have this:

Duh.

> As for the bodily functions, it would depend on where the person lived.

Duh.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 4:20:18 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message

> >> That's not necessarily true. And in this area, many served by the food
> >> bank
> >> *are* homeless.
> >>

> > Is that not what I said, dumb ass?

> Jinxy! You think everyone is dumb.

Only you, trust me, ONLY you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2017 9:53 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> baby food (in that order).

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org...ntation-057jpg

Hide the Ho Ho's!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-10-10 8:42 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> There's going to be a big event/food bank drive on Dataw on 10/29/17.
> It's in conjunction with a golf tournament.
>
> The organizers are going to set out 19 collection bins around the island
> that morning for food donations.Â* One of the bins will be just down the
> street.Â* I'll be donating.
>
> They're asking for *canned* food due to the long shelf-life.Â* Also, the
> collection bins will be sitting outside for hours.Â* No frozen or
> refrigerated food, please.Â* Oh, and the people coming around to pick up
> the donations that afternoon won't have any way to guard against glass
> bottles/jars breaking so they'd rather none of those, either.
>
> I was told along with canned vegetables the emphasis is really on
> protein.Â* Peanut butter (in plastic jars) was suggested.Â* Along with
> canned beans, I'm thinking dried beans.Â* Canned broth.Â* Rice is a starch
> but if, as I suspect, many of the recipients will be local migrant farm
> workers, perhaps they might like some rice with those beans.Â* More
> protein: canned chunk chicken, tuna, salmon. Spam.
>
> I'm also thinking canned fruit.Â* Not everything is about protein.
>
> How about some dried herbs and spices?
>
> Any other suggestions for shelf-stable and/or or canned items to put in
> the food bank bin?Â* I thought about canned tomatoes.Â* But if this is
> indeed mostly going to feed the local farm workers, they're the ones who
> have been picking the tomatoes for months.Â* They're probably sick of them.
>
> Jill

Food banks have much higher purchasing power than individuals. It's far,
far better to donate money and leave them to buy the food.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 18:58:42 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> wrote in message

>>> Learn to read, dummy. Jill's post said they are requesting
>>> ***shelf-stable AND/OR canned items.*** About the only people
>>> that will be, if any, eating directly out of the can are going
>>> to be transients aka drifter/hobo/homeless.

>>That's not necessarily true. And in this area, many served by the food
>>bank
>>*are* homeless.

> Um, typically the homeless frequent soup kitchens.

No soup kitchens here. Seattle? Yeah.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 19:06:07 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Janet" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> In article >,
>>> says...

>>> Don't you believe it; I've encounterd people who have a home with no
>>> power, heating or light because they can't pay the bill; so the stove is
>>> useless and they can't cook anything.

>>Yes. I went to school with a family of kids who had no electricity or
>>running water most of the time. When they did have electricity, the only
>>thing they had to cook in was a popcorn popper. I never saw the thing but
>>my
>>friend said that canned soup could be heated in it. They did own the house
>>but the appliances had long since broken.

> I say bullshit... I've been using air poppers most of my life, no way
> will a can of soup fit... and even if it could I doubt condensed soup
> would heat through before it would begin to burn. And cans of soup
> not condensed wouldn't come close to fitting.
> Besides most any thrift store will have several small electric
> appliances one can cook with one can buy for like 2-3 dollars.... I've
> seen lots of electric woks at yard sales. electric percolators too.

No air poppers in those days. This was in the 60's. I got an air popper as a
gift around 1978 or 1979. We were given a popper when I was a kid. West Bend
I think. Didn't work very well. A pan worked better. As I recall, it was
akin to an electric pan with a lid. I remember some of them having a
mechanism inside that moved the corn around as it popped. This didn't have
that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 19:06:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> So you helped them out a bit, right?
>>>
>>> Yep, I didn't think so.
>>>
>>> Anyone can build a fire outside and cook anything.
>>> Your story was completely made up.

>>That's simply not true.

> Why can't someone cook on a charcoal grill... I've done all kinds of
> cooking on a cheapo $5 hibachi from John's Bargain Store.
> When Hurricane Gloria hit my neighborhood had no power for nearly two
> weeks, everyone was grilling the food from their freezers outdoors
> rather than let it spoil... was a lot of cooked food, people's pets
> had to help eat it.

They're not allowed in many apartments here. And not allowed at all if there
is a burn ban which there sometimes is.

Anyone else donating food to the occupiers? Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 148 14-10-2011 12:58 AM
Food Bank Omelet[_7_] General Cooking 60 01-10-2008 08:05 PM
Food Bank! jmcquown General Cooking 14 26-10-2006 08:40 PM
Food Event -- Foothill Unity Center, Inc. & L A Regional Food Bank Harriet Neal General Cooking 0 06-04-2006 05:32 AM
Food Bank! jmcquown General Cooking 32 13-05-2005 10:27 PM