Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Donating to the Food Bank

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Casa lo pensa" wrote in message news >
> On 10/14/2017 12:49 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Cheri" wrote in message news >>

>>> Same here, Jill.

>> I could say the same for myself, I have a couple of close friends that
>> have
>> been friends since we were kids, but I am not a highly social person,
>> never
>> have been, more with family than with acquaintances for entertainment. DH
>> and I are the same that way, except for his raunchy sex talk at
>> McDonald's
>> with his raunchy friends once or so a week. ;-)
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> ==
>>
>> You sound a lot like us except he doesn't go to McDonald's
>>

> So where does he hold his raunchy sex talk then?
>
> ==
>
> What can I say? Unless he does it down the shooting club when I am not
> there?
>
> Knowing the rest of the shooters though, I wouldn't have thought it <g>
>
> Who knows)

And why would we care if we're not hearing it?

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> He didn't mention hot sauce, but the last jar of mayo I bought was
>>> glass,
>>> ditto Dijon mustard and a jar of jalapeno peppers. With so many people
>>> concerned about plastic in landfills I'm surprised at how many food
>>> items
>>> are packaged in plastic rather than glass containers.

>> Most plastic can be recycled.

> Most plastic is recycled into fabric for clothing etc.
> Polartec outerwear was once plastic pop bottles.
>
> ==
>
> We have a bin for plastic and glass ... together. Odd mix, no?

Our bit takes everything, separated at a facility and then taken to the
proper place for recycling.

==

That is how it was in the good old days. Mostly we ignore the bins and take
our rubbish down to the nearest rubbish tip. There are places to dump
various things thee but they don't really care. I used to faithfully put
items in the correct bin, until one day, something was happening and they
told us just to put the bags in together. We've done that since.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Casa lo pensa" wrote in message news >
> On 10/14/2017 12:49 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Cheri" wrote in message news >>

>>> Same here, Jill.

>> I could say the same for myself, I have a couple of close friends that
>> have
>> been friends since we were kids, but I am not a highly social person,
>> never
>> have been, more with family than with acquaintances for entertainment. DH
>> and I are the same that way, except for his raunchy sex talk at
>> McDonald's
>> with his raunchy friends once or so a week. ;-)
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> ==
>>
>> You sound a lot like us except he doesn't go to McDonald's
>>

> So where does he hold his raunchy sex talk then?
>
> ==
>
> What can I say? Unless he does it down the shooting club when I am not
> there?
>
> Knowing the rest of the shooters though, I wouldn't have thought it <g>
>
> Who knows)

And why would we care if we're not hearing it?

Cheri

==

Exactly))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 10/13/2017 10:57 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> > > LOL* Maybe one of these days he'll tell us what he does eat
> > > rather than telling us what NOT to eat.
> > >
> > > If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'm going to grill some hot Italian
> > > sausage links and corn on the cob

> (snipped self)
> > >
> > > What exactly does Bruce eat?* No one really knows.
> > >

> > Crow?
> >

> Never! Heck, he even objects to the ingredients in the canned cat
> food Buffy likes. It contains meat by products! Yeah, well he's not
> going to eat them so why does he care? He'd have had a fit about the
> Menudo I had for lunch yesterday. It's a spicy Mexican soup made
> with tripe and hominy. Tripe is the lining of a cow's stomach. OMG.
> People actually do eat what he considers "by products". Liver,
> kidneys, etc. Chitlin's. (Okay, I've never had intestines and am not
> interested.) Just because he doesn't eat it doesn't mean no one does.
>
> Remind me again what does he eat?
>
> Jill

Sometimes a KF is a good thing. Either way, he eats fish and
apparently only fresh non processed stuff but you'll have to ask him.
Me, I'm off to finish the bread for the week

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 17:17:52 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> (snipped self)

>> > Crow?
>> >

>> Never! Heck, he even objects to the ingredients in the canned cat
>> food Buffy likes. It contains meat by products! Yeah, well he's not
>> going to eat them so why does he care? He'd have had a fit about the
>> Menudo I had for lunch yesterday. It's a spicy Mexican soup made
>> with tripe and hominy. Tripe is the lining of a cow's stomach. OMG.
>> People actually do eat what he considers "by products". Liver,
>> kidneys, etc. Chitlin's. (Okay, I've never had intestines and am not
>> interested.) Just because he doesn't eat it doesn't mean no one does.

When I still ate meat, liver was my favourite, so you're barking up
the wrong tree.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/14/2017 4:53 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 16:48:24 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On 10/14/2017 3:29 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> wrote in message ...
>>>
>>> On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 19:46:18 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>>>
>>> Most plastic is recycled into fabric for clothing etc.
>>> Polartec outerwear was once plastic pop bottles.
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> We have a bin for plastic and glass ... together. Odd mix, no?
>>>

>> Our bit takes everything, separated at a facility and then taken to the
>> proper place for recycling.

> I read that most plastic waste is of too low quality to be recycled.

They're starting to use recycled plastic in road surfacing - I saw an
article about it this week in (IIRC) The Scotsman.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 18:42:42 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 10/14/2017 4:53 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> Our bit takes everything, separated at a facility and then taken to the
>>> proper place for recycling.

>> I read that most plastic waste is of too low quality to be recycled.
>>

>They're starting to use recycled plastic in road surfacing - I saw an
>article about it this week in (IIRC) The Scotsman.

That might be a good alternative.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/14/2017 4:21 PM, Bruce wrote:
> When I still ate meat, liver was my favourite

Oh I BET it was...you nasty bilious ASSHOLE!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/14/2017 4:42 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 10/14/2017 4:53 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> Our bit takes everything, separated at a facility and then taken to the
>>> proper place for recycling.

>> I read that most plastic waste is of too low quality to be recycled.
>>

> They're starting to use recycled plastic in road surfacing - I saw an
> article about it this week in (IIRC) The Scotsman.

It's brilliant!

Cuts tire noise way down.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 18:42:42 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 10/14/2017 4:53 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> Our bit takes everything, separated at a facility and then taken to the
>>> proper place for recycling.

>> I read that most plastic waste is of too low quality to be recycled.
>>

>They're starting to use recycled plastic in road surfacing - I saw an
>article about it this week in (IIRC) The Scotsman.

We have some trial stretches, they're waiting to see how it takes to
our climate and snow ploughs, but it's super to drive on, really nice
and quiet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/14/2017 6:51 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> general purpose Christian blessing

Get the **** outta here, you creep!

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org...ntation-057jpg

Hide the Ho Ho's!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/14/2017 7:02 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> pickles and
> sauerkraut

On 10/14/2017 6:51 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> general purpose Christian blessing

Get the **** outta here, you creep!

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org...ntation-057jpg

Hide the Ho Ho's!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/14/2017 2:13 PM, wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 10:12:37 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:

>>> Same here, Jill.

>> I could say the same for myself, I have a couple of close friends that have
>> been friends since we were kids, but I am not a highly social person, never
>> have been, more with family than with acquaintances for entertainment. DH
>> and I are the same that way, except for his raunchy sex talk at McDonald's
>> with his raunchy friends once or so a week. ;-)
>>
>> Cheri

> Used to lead a mad life, not so anymore. This condo building is
> nicely friendly and some of us like to spend an evening with others,
> by agreement none of us wants to cook, so its just nibbles and wine.
> In winter, with snow, it is great because the most driving involved is
> the elevator.

That's your choice and I'm glad you enjoy doing things like that. I am
simply not interesting in hanging out with my neighbors all the time.
There are all sorts of activities I could join but I'd really rather not.

> I do still visit people away from the building, but I am getting to
> prefer in the building. When we have family events my eldest grandson
> and wife pick me up as I am on their way to any of the others. At
> Xmas my granddaughter-in-law and I are giving a family party, with all
> sorts of in laws included in the party room here which has a full
> kitchen attached and dishwasher. Couldn't be handier. We have done
> this once or twice before and it makes it easy to have 30-40 people
> and feel no pain

I'm glad that works out well for your gathering My family is not that big.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 10:31:14 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>On 10/14/2017 9:57 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>>> I remember that old conversation. A little bit over a year ago. I
>>> also remember who said that about the road from an (UK)airport
>>> lined with trees and many plastic bags. STill LOL about that
>>> claim.
>>>
>>> I don't remember but good chance I might have been the one that
>>> called it a lie. ÿ ;-) ÿ Get real...a few plastic bags in
>>> trees...ok but a road lined with them...fail!
>>>
>>> At the time, I also had NEVER seen a plastic bag in a tree. Not
>>> ever@
>>> To say that a road was "lined with trees and plastic bags" was
>>> silly.
>>>
>>> I did write back about a month or so later. We had a hurricane
>>> pass by...the one that flooded Carol's neighborhood. At a job,
>>> many tree limbs had fallen and were out on the street for trash
>>> pickup. I did see a plastic bag in the branch pile. I did write
>>> here and finally admit that I saw one.
>>>
>>> That's the only time I've seen one though.
>>>

>> Thank you, Gary! ÿ I'll have to start scanning the trees when I drive to
>> the grocery store on Lady's Island or the dollar store on St. Helena,
>> just to see if I spot one.
>>

>I don
>t recall ever seeing one in a tree, but certainly have as litter in
>other places. Just yesterday on the highway I went over one.
>
>Many people are just slobs and couple that with baggers that use too
>many to start with. Most of the time the bag will hold more than they
>will fit in it.

We've had one on our property for months. In a big old oak tree, at least
25 feet up. We don't know what to do about it. And yes, around here, I see
tons of them in trees. In north/central NJ.

And when we look at bird's nests that have fallen, there is frequently a
noticeable quantity of plastic.

--
She may contain the urge to run away
But hold her down with soggy clothes and breeze blocks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/13/2017 9:06 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 10/13/2017 8:30 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> I don't remember anyone being accused of lying about plastic bags
>> in trees, I remember discussing why are they there?Â* In numbers.
>> I think it started with someone talking about the road from some
>> airport not in the Us being lined with trees with bags.
>>
>> I certainly don't think it's a lie someone came up with.

> All I said during that discussion is I'd never seen bags in trees.Â* I
> certainly didn't call her a liar.Â* The thought of plastic bags in trees
> took me by surprise.Â* I'm not saying it doesn't happen.Â* Nancy, right
> after that discussion didn't you tell me you saw a plastic bag in a tree?

The topic made me start looking and I was actually surprised and how
there was NO debris in the trees, even in places where I would think
refuse might collect.

So yeah, I probably got a laugh out of seeing a bag in a tree at
some point, there's one!

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/13/2017 9:43 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> On 10/13/2017 1:51 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>

>>> All of our carts too, garbage, recycle, lawn clipping. Hydraulic arm
>>> picks them up dumps them into the truck and sets them back down.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Most towns won't take lawn clippings.* It is better to use a mulching
>> blade and get a better lawn.
>>
>> Our trash is bagged and has a sticker you pay for ($1 large 50 cent
>> small) on it and then hand loaded.* Recycle goes in a bin that is hand
>> loaded. No automation here.

> I don't know of any town in CA that doesn't take clippings.

Plenty of room for landfills, apparently. They haven't taken grass
clippings here for years and years. They do perfectly fine left on
the lawn unless you let it get too long. Either way don't bother
bagging it, they won't take it.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> Do your stores give plastic bags free? Ours have charged for them for a
> long time and it is rare to see a shopper going for a lot of groceries
> without taking their own bags.

My stores do NOT charge for bags, paper or plastic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/15/2017 9:45 AM, Gary wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Do your stores give plastic bags free? Ours have charged for them for a
>> long time and it is rare to see a shopper going for a lot of groceries
>> without taking their own bags.

> My stores do NOT charge for bags, paper or plastic.

Neither do mine.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 09:45:06 -0400, Gary > wrote:

wrote:

>> My garbage can lid blew off once and rolled 3/4 the way down the hill in the woods.

>LOL And the moral of this story is? ;-D

The wind can, and will carry stuff anywhere.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> He'd have had a fit about the Menudo I
> had for lunch yesterday. It's a spicy Mexican soup made with tripe and
> hominy. Tripe is the lining of a cow's stomach. OMG.

To be honest, even I'm surprised that *you* ate that. It just
doesn't sound like you, Jill.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/15/2017 11:20 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> He'd have had a fit about the Menudo I
>> had for lunch yesterday. It's a spicy Mexican soup made with tripe and
>> hominy. Tripe is the lining of a cow's stomach. OMG.

> To be honest, even I'm surprised that *you* ate that. It just
> doesn't sound like you, Jill.

Surprised you, eh? I love menudo. If I could find tripe I'd try my
hand at making that soup from scratch.

I'd like to try steak & kidney pie, too. I can't find kidneys. I
checked at the small independent meat market in town. The woman who
co-owns it with her husband is British. She told me they can't find a
supplier for any kind of kidneys.

I'm not squeamish about things like this. I make oxtail soup at least
once a year. Last year I was talking with the man who lives across the
street and mentioned I was making oxtail soup. He asked, "What's that?"
Well... it's soup made with the meaty part of a cows tail. They're
called oxtails. I think that's the first time I've ever seen somone
shudder. LOL

Caveat: you won't catch me eating beef/calves liver. I have tried it
and simply don't like it. Both of my parents loved liver & onions. Not me.

I don't like chicken livers, either. Then again, I'm not a huge fan of
poultry so that's probably got something to do with it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-10-15 5:52 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 10/15/2017 11:20 AM, Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>> To be honest, even I'm surprised that *you* ate that. It just
>> doesn't sound like you, Jill.
>>

> Surprised you, eh?Â* I love menudo.Â* If I could find tripe I'd try my
> hand at making that soup from scratch.

I always think of a Czech friend whose mother cooked tripe every Tuesday
and the house stunk of it until Friday. The only time I ever ate it
was in a Mexican buffet in Colorado in the form of menudo. It was
delicious, but I had to spit out all the gristly bits.

> Caveat: you won't catch me eating beef/calves liver.Â* I have tried it
> and simply don't like it.Â* Both of my parents loved liver & onions.Â* Not
> me.
>
> I don't like chicken livers, either.Â* Then again, I'm not a huge fan of
> poultry so that's probably got something to do with it.

I often eat liver pate. It's delicious. I don't eat liver. It's the
texture I don't like. It's like chewing suede.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> On 10/15/2017 11:20 AM, Gary wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >>
> >> He'd have had a fit about the Menudo I
> >> had for lunch yesterday. It's a spicy Mexican soup made with tripe and
> >> hominy. Tripe is the lining of a cow's stomach. OMG.

> > To be honest, even I'm surprised that *you* ate that. It just
> > doesn't sound like you, Jill.
> >

> Surprised you, eh? I love menudo. If I could find tripe I'd try my
> hand at making that soup from scratch.
>
> I'd like to try steak & kidney pie, too. I can't find kidneys. I
> checked at the small independent meat market in town. The woman who
> co-owns it with her husband is British. She told me they can't find a
> supplier for any kind of kidneys.
>
> I'm not squeamish about things like this. I make oxtail soup at least
> once a year. Last year I was talking with the man who lives across the
> street and mentioned I was making oxtail soup. He asked, "What's that?"
> Well... it's soup made with the meaty part of a cows tail. They're
> called oxtails. I think that's the first time I've ever seen somone
> shudder. LOL
>
> Caveat: you won't catch me eating beef/calves liver. I have tried it
> and simply don't like it. Both of my parents loved liver & onions.

Not me.

I don't like beeef/calves liver either, but I love lambs liver with
onions and crispy bacon and sage leaves.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-10-15 6:24 PM, Janet wrote:
> In article >, says...

>>> To be honest, even I'm surprised that *you* ate that. It just
>>> doesn't sound like you, Jill.
>>>

>> Surprised you, eh? I love menudo. If I could find tripe I'd try my
>> hand at making that soup from scratch.
>>
>> I'd like to try steak & kidney pie, too. I can't find kidneys. I
>> checked at the small independent meat market in town. The woman who
>> co-owns it with her husband is British. She told me they can't find a
>> supplier for any kind of kidneys.
>>
>> I'm not squeamish about things like this. I make oxtail soup at least
>> once a year. Last year I was talking with the man who lives across the
>> street and mentioned I was making oxtail soup. He asked, "What's that?"
>> Well... it's soup made with the meaty part of a cows tail. They're
>> called oxtails. I think that's the first time I've ever seen somone
>> shudder. LOL
>>
>> Caveat: you won't catch me eating beef/calves liver. I have tried it
>> and simply don't like it. Both of my parents loved liver & onions.

> Not me.
>
> I don't like beeef/calves liver either, but I love lambs liver with
> onions and crispy bacon and sage leaves.
>
> Janet UK

and then there's Foie Gras:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/16/2017 1:31 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 17:52:12 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

>>> To be honest, even I'm surprised that *you* ate that. It just
>>> doesn't sound like you, Jill.
>>>

>> Surprised you, eh? I love menudo. If I could find tripe I'd try my
>> hand at making that soup from scratch.

> Your Mexican grocer that always short-changes you almost certainly
> carries tripe.
>
> And I think once you try cooking it yourself, you wont be as thrilled
> about it as just buying it already prepared. Cooking raw tripe isn't
> a pleasant experience for most people.
>
> -sw

Actually, they carry very little in the way of refrigerated foods. They
stock eggs, cheeses and milk, cryovac'd slices of country ham, chorizo.
That's about it. You're probably right about making the soup from
scratch, though.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/15/2017 11:31 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> a pleasant experience

Get the **** outta here, you creep!

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org...ntation-057jpg

Hide the Ho Ho's!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/15/2017 12:56 AM, Lesmond wrote:
> And when we look at bird's nests that have fallen, there is frequently a
> noticeable quantity of plastic.

Birds and squirrels will use pretty much anything they can find to build
and fortify their nests. They're very resourceful. If it means they
use bits of plastic bags to help make the nest insulated and waterproof,
why not? They're nature's recyclers.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Actually, they carry very little in the way of refrigerated foods. They
> stock eggs, cheeses and milk, cryovac'd slices of country ham, chorizo.
> That's about it. You're probably right about making the soup from
> scratch, though.

My all time favorite soup is a good "hot and sour" soup from
certain Chinese restaurants (not all of them). I once decided
that I should make my own. Not such a good idea as many of the
ingredients are rare here and you have to buy at an Asian store.
Usually have to buy more than you want too.

Don't eat it often but I decided earlier on that in the case of
this soup, I'm much better buying it fresh made from a good
chinese place. Cheaper in the long run and probably better
tasting too. Plus you still have to buy those cool fried cracker
things anyway. A restaurant supplies them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/16/2017 10:03 AM, Gary wrote:
> Cheaper in the long run and probably better
> tasting too. Plus you still have to buy those cool fried cracker
> things anyway. A restaurant supplies them.

You mean:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8128/8...f3eec386_z.jpg

Yeah, I dig that Americanization snack too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 10:10:25 -0600, Casa lo pensa >
wrote:

>On 10/16/2017 10:03 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Cheaper in the long run and probably better
>> tasting too. Plus you still have to buy those cool fried cracker
>> things anyway. A restaurant supplies them.

>You mean:
>

>https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8128/8...f3eec386_z.jpg
>
>Yeah, I dig that Americanization snack too.

I keep a bag of them in my freezer... otherwise stored in the pantry
they're apt to go rancid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
>jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Actually, they carry very little in the way of refrigerated foods. They
>> stock eggs, cheeses and milk, cryovac'd slices of country ham, chorizo.
>> That's about it. You're probably right about making the soup from
>> scratch, though.

>My all time favorite soup is a good "hot and sour" soup from
>certain Chinese restaurants (not all of them). I once decided
>that I should make my own. Not such a good idea as many of the
>ingredients are rare here and you have to buy at an Asian store.
>Usually have to buy more than you want too.

Hot and Sour soup is very easy to prepare and you can buy the
ingredients from most any stupidmarket, you don't need an Asian market
for those ingredients... and many are available canned in the aisle
with Asian foods, and it's not necessary to follow a recipe exactly,
especially not for any soup. I make hot and sour soup often and never
exactly the same twice. I've found the only ingredient usually
unavailable in ordinary markets are fresh bean sprouts, however for
soup canned works. The only essential ingredient missing from this
recipe is white pepper, fresh ground is best... I usually add
julienned pork or chicken:
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/hot_and_sour_soup/

>Don't eat it often but I decided earlier on that in the case of
>this soup, I'm much better buying it fresh made from a good
>chinese place. Cheaper in the long run and probably better
>tasting too. Plus you still have to buy those cool fried cracker
>things anyway. A restaurant supplies them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/16/2017 10:20 AM, wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 10:10:25 -0600, Casa lo pensa >
> wrote:
>
>> On 10/16/2017 10:03 AM, Gary wrote:
>>> Cheaper in the long run and probably better
>>> tasting too. Plus you still have to buy those cool fried cracker
>>> things anyway. A restaurant supplies them.

>> You mean:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8128/8...f3eec386_z.jpg

>> Yeah, I dig that Americanization snack too.

> I keep a bag of them in my freezer... otherwise stored in the pantry
> they're apt to go rancid.

You ain't kidding on the rancid!

Dipped in Chinese hot mustard - divine!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 16, 2017 at 6:03:13 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:

> My all time favorite soup is a good "hot and sour" soup from
> certain Chinese restaurants (not all of them). I once decided
> that I should make my own. Not such a good idea as many of the
> ingredients are rare here and you have to buy at an Asian store.
> Usually have to buy more than you want too.
>
> Don't eat it often but I decided earlier on that in the case of
> this soup, I'm much better buying it fresh made from a good
> chinese place. Cheaper in the long run and probably better
> tasting too. Plus you still have to buy those cool fried cracker
> things anyway. A restaurant supplies them.

Hot and sour soup is not too difficult to make. You can make it with dried shiitake mushrooms, canned bamboo shoots, tofu, and chicken stock. You can probably just get some chicken stock and add vinegar and black pepper to taste.

The soup is not served with any crackers over here but you can make your own by deep frying wonton wrappers. Fried whole, it's used as a fancy garnish but it would make a pretty good snack. We use the ones sliced into strips in Chinese chicken salad. It's also a popular snack and sold in stores under the name "One Ton Chips."

http://www.junkfoodguy.com/2012/08/2....jv30s1se.dpbs

Anyone else donating food to the occupiers? Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 148 14-10-2011 12:58 AM
Food Bank Omelet[_7_] General Cooking 60 01-10-2008 08:05 PM
Food Bank! jmcquown General Cooking 14 26-10-2006 08:40 PM
Food Event -- Foothill Unity Center, Inc. & L A Regional Food Bank Harriet Neal General Cooking 0 06-04-2006 05:32 AM
Food Bank! jmcquown General Cooking 32 13-05-2005 10:27 PM