Old 12-10-2017, 02:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Donating to the Food Bank

jmcquown wrote:

Maybe he's thinking of someone living in a clearing in a tent in the
woods... who could dig a small pit and put rocks around it. Gather
kindling and wood. I do hope he has some matches.

Ya know, that is one of my "bucket list" things to do.
Starting a fire with no advantages.
Just use dry wood and maybe strong fresh vines.
I will have a knife though. I've got a good Buck hunting knife.

I've watched so many survival shows about it.
Seem like the bow and drill is the best way.
Needs some strong vines though for the "string".

I plan to try this someday on the beach and start a fire
and eat some oysters harvested just offshore.

heheh I'll certainly write if I ever do this but don't
hold your breath. I've been planning this for years.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 10:37:37 +0100, Janet wrote:

When Margaret Thatcher was PM she offered all Council House tenants
the chance to buy and own their home and many did. In other words, they
had a sufficient steady earned income to obtain a mortgage; and the
property and its community were desirable places to live, not a social
dumping ground.
The money raised should have been ringfenced to build replacement
stock of social housing for rent, but wasn't. As a result, so many
council houses passed into private ownership, the UK now has a dire
shortage of social housing for those in need.

Margaret Thatcher is a universal symbol of how not to run a country.

Not what I've heard. MT was a good PM but only the liberals hated
her just like at the time the liberals here hated Reagan. IMO,
both were damn good at their jobs. In my lifetime, Reagan was the
best President we ever had. Let the bombs fly and burst now from
all the liberals wailing and gnashing their teeth. hahaha
Old 12-10-2017, 03:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , says...

Bruce wrote:

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 10:37:37 +0100, Janet wrote:

When Margaret Thatcher was PM she offered all Council House tenants
the chance to buy and own their home and many did. In other words, they
had a sufficient steady earned income to obtain a mortgage; and the
property and its community were desirable places to live, not a social
dumping ground.
The money raised should have been ringfenced to build replacement
stock of social housing for rent, but wasn't. As a result, so many
council houses passed into private ownership, the UK now has a dire
shortage of social housing for those in need.

Margaret Thatcher is a universal symbol of how not to run a country.

Not what I've heard. MT was a good PM

as usual, you're misinformed.

http://historylists.org/events/10-ke...d-to-margaret-
thatchers-resignation.html

Margaret Thatcher lost her PM job in the most public, brutal and
humiliating way possible, in mid-term, forced to resign by her own
Conservative party Cabinet ministers because she was a political
disaster.

Telegraph is a right-wing Tory supporting paper.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/margaret-
thatcher/9980358/Margaret-Thatcher-Brought-down-by-the-sharks-in-the-
water.html

"When the longest premiership of the modern age came to a crashing end
in November 1990, it was neither the Labour Party nor the British
electorate that defeated Baroness Thatcher. It was her own colleagues. "

Janet UK
Old 12-10-2017, 04:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 08:32:46 -0400, Dave Smith

On 2017-10-12 12:34 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 23:58:24 -0400, Dave Smith
wrote:
snip

They are getting pretty picky of they don't want glass. That is the way
some things are packaged.

snip

Glass containers can break, particularly in a food drive situation.
The contents from broken containers spill and ruin the surrounding
food.

Okay. They can try to be a little more careful. Some things come in
bottles and jars. They are donations and can be treated with a little
bit of respect.

I am not familiar with a situation where careful comes into play. Like
Jill's situation, I see collection bins on a pallet. Like those huge
boxes you see watermelons in, or pumpkins or winter squash. You dump
your offering in and someone behind you dumps their offering. There
are semis parked nearby and a guy with a front-end loader is picking
up these pallet boxes and running them into a truck. There's no
little old lady sitting at a table accepting 6 cans of tuna. There
are cars in a block long line behind me waiting to off load their
stuff, often little children are helping drop things into the box.
Cans can survive that, glass not so much.
Janet US
Old 12-10-2017, 04:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-10-12, U.S Janet B wrote:

Cans can survive that, glass not so much.

While I can agree on some things, pickles, relish, beets!, etc,
howzabout them jams and jellies? You know, the little things that
make a poor person feel "normal".

In fact, getting so it's hard to find anything made of glass, anymore.
Syrups, honeys --even booze-- and the like, are now sold in plastic
containers. A person hasta go outta his/her way to even find glass,
anymore.

Bottom line: if a person is hungary enough, (s)he will find a way to
prepare/eat ANY food.

nb
Old 12-10-2017, 04:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-10-12 11:17 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 08:32:46 -0400, Dave Smith

Okay. They can try to be a little more careful. Some things come in
bottles and jars. They are donations and can be treated with a little
bit of respect.

I am not familiar with a situation where careful comes into play. Like
Jill's situation, I see collection bins on a pallet. Like those huge
boxes you see watermelons in, or pumpkins or winter squash. You dump
your offering in and someone behind you dumps their offering. There
are semis parked nearby and a guy with a front-end loader is picking
up these pallet boxes and running them into a truck. There's no
little old lady sitting at a table accepting 6 cans of tuna. There
are cars in a block long line behind me waiting to off load their
stuff, often little children are helping drop things into the box.
Cans can survive that, glass not so much.

Okay then. Their problem is with the process. I have worked on food
drives where volunteers went door to door. There had been advance notice
and some people had filled bags and left them on the porch. Someone with
a pickup truck was with the group and they would load the bags of
donations into the truck. The trucks then drove to the organization's
depot and unloaded them by hand...carefully.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2017 11:26 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
No cookies! No Pop tarts! No Pancake syrup! M

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org...ntation-057jpg

Hide the Ho Ho's!!!
Old 12-10-2017, 04:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2017 3:45 AM, Janet wrote:
The changeover from old to new system includes a badly planned
hiatus in payments which is proving to be a bit of a nightmare for the
some of the neediest recipients.

**** THE POOR!

It's the englie way after all..
Old 12-10-2017, 04:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2017 4:31 AM, Bruce wrote:
Margaret Thatcher is a universal symbol of how not to run a country.

You're a know-nothing leftarded MORON!
Old 12-10-2017, 04:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2017 7:20 AM, Gary wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

Any other suggestions for shelf-stable and/or or canned items to put in
the food bank bin?

http://www.hostpic.org/images/1710121731370096.jpg

:-D

Has that been declawed???
Old 12-10-2017, 04:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2017 7:22 AM, Gary wrote:
Ya know, that is one of my "bucket list" things to do.
Starting a fire with no advantages.
Just use dry wood and maybe strong fresh vines.
I will have a knife though. I've got a good Buck hunting knife.

Ya know, screw purism, add this to your knife:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQIvjhN-FjE

https://www.harborfreight.com/magnes...ter-66560.html

Magnesium Fire Starter
Item#66560
Start a fire easily even in damp conditions with the magnesium fire starter

Compare Similar $3.99 Only: $2.99

Anyone else donating food to the occupiers? Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 148 14-10-2011 12:58 AM
Food Bank Omelet[_7_] General Cooking 60 01-10-2008 08:05 PM
Food Bank! jmcquown General Cooking 14 26-10-2006 08:40 PM
Food Event -- Foothill Unity Center, Inc. & L A Regional Food Bank Harriet Neal General Cooking 0 06-04-2006 05:32 AM
Food Bank! jmcquown General Cooking 32 13-05-2005 10:27 PM