Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Donating to the Food Bank

On 10/13/2017 9:35 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 20:29:18 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> news
>>> Thank you, Cheri. I didn't call her a liar.
>>>
>>> Now she's trying to say it's because I live on Dataw... Inferred I live in
>>> a sheltered world and never actually leave the house. That's crazy talk.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I think some might be a tiny bit jealous but fact of the matter is, most
>> places like Dataw don't have some of the problems that other places do,
>> doesn't mean they are sheltered from life, or don't know what going on
>> around them, or most especially that they don't get out and about and see
>> things everyday.

> In short, we shouldn't underestimate Jill. She sees things everyday!

You'll attack any character, woncha?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 23:00:59 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 22:55:08 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> LOL Maybe one of these days he'll tell us what he *does* eat rather
>> than telling us what NOT to eat.
>>
>> If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'm going to grill some hot Italian sausage
>> links and corn on the cob tomorrow. We all know what he'll think about
>> the ingredients in the sausage. We'll just have to wait to hear why he
>> objects to grilled corn on the cob.

>Corn on the cob!?!?!?!?! Corn on the cob will kill you quicker than
>Twinkies. Here are the ingredients of corn on the cob, all of which
>are deadly toxins!
>
>Menaquinones, Coumaric acid, pyridoxamine, Ferulic acid, Vanillic
>acid, Pantothenic acid, Cystine, Folate, Tryptophane, Tyrosine, Zinc,
>Ash, Copper, Arginine, Histidine, Lysine, Phosphorus, Niacin, Alpha
>Tocopherol, Palmitic acid Staeric acid, Linoleic acid, Zinc, Linolenic
>acid, Beta carotene, Selenium, Iron, Phylloquinone, Sulfur,
>Hemicellulose, Lignin, Caffeic acid, Syringic acid...
>
>and ... <GASP> ... Sugar!!!!

But listen, Steve Supermarket, you should distinguish between what's
naturally in produce and what the food industry has artificially added
to a prefab product. Let me know if you need an example.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 13, 2017 at 8:09:10 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 14:34:35 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, October 13, 2017 at 5:28:08 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> >
> >> On very windy days when the recyclable bin is out at the side of the
> >> road (we have no curbs) the bin blows over and the contents goes
> >> flying.

> >We have two of these, provided by the waste hauler:
> >
> ><http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/janitorial-maintenance/garbage-recycling/containers-mobile/trash-container-mobile-trash-container-9>
> >
> >It takes an extraordinary wind to blow one over.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> Our bins look exactly the same, like top heavy ladies with small
> bottoms... they lie down easily:
> http://www.county-waste.com/recycling
> The bin for our regular garbage won't blow over unless from perhaps a
> tornado, it's heavy, filled lots of spent cat litter. But our
> recyclables consists mainly of aluminum cat food cans, any wolf can
> blow it over with a huff and a puff. So during inclement weather I
> add 3 gallons of water, adds some 25 pounds to the bottom.

Our bins are the same as well. Recyclables are in a green can
with a black lid and the garbage bins are medium beige with a
black lid. The wind will turn them over and if it doesn't
turn them over it will flip the lids and trash can go flying.
Most of us turn our cans away from the wind and also put a
brick or large rock on the lid to keep it closed.

The normal size they deliver to a household is the 96 gallon
size but I asked for the 65 gallon size in both type of cans.
These are provided free of charge to each address and you can
also request an extra can of either type at no charge.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> news >
>> The people on Dataw who will be setting out the bins around the island
>> are asking for actual FOOD donations. Not checks. So I'll be donating
>> food. I hope that's okay with you and Graham.
>>
>> Jill

> I wouldn't donate money to a food bank, ever. I give to very few organized
> charities, and prefer to give close to home for the need, like you did
> with buying groceries for the elderly lady. They do the mail thing a
> couple of times a year here, where the mail person (probably hates that)
> picks up groceries that you put on the porch for the food banks, never
> once have they asked for money instead.
>
> Cheri

Yep. I do give money to local animal charities on occasion. I do have
friends who run some of these. Most pay for expensive operations and such.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> On 10/13/2017 11:45 AM, Cheri wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> news >>
>>> The people on Dataw who will be setting out the bins around the island
>>> are asking for actual FOOD donations. Not checks. So I'll be donating
>>> food. I hope that's okay with you and Graham.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I wouldn't donate money to a food bank, ever. I give to very few
>> organized charities, and prefer to give close to home for the need, like
>> you did with buying groceries for the elderly lady. They do the mail
>> thing a couple of times a year here, where the mail person (probably
>> hates that) picks up groceries that you put on the porch for the food
>> banks, never once have they asked for money instead.
>>
>> Cheri

> I simply don't trust where that money might be spent.
>
> You brought back a ridiculous memory! One year at my apartment complex we
> were told USPS was going to be picking up boxes of food bank donations.
> Just set them by the mailbox. Someone forgot to tell the mail carrier.
>
> Not only was it not picked up, some kids who lived across the street
> raided the box and stole the crispy Old El Paso taco shells. LOL
>
> Darn, now I'm thinking I want crispy tacos for dinner. I don't have any
> taco shells.

I do! La Tiara.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> news
>> On 10/13/2017 11:45 AM, Cheri wrote:
>>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>

>>> I wouldn't donate money to a food bank, ever. I give to very few
>>> organized charities, and prefer to give close to home for the need, like
>>> you did with buying groceries for the elderly lady. They do the mail
>>> thing a couple of times a year here, where the mail person (probably
>>> hates that) picks up groceries that you put on the porch for the food
>>> banks, never once have they asked for money instead.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> I simply don't trust where that money might be spent.
>>
>> You brought back a ridiculous memory! One year at my apartment complex
>> we were told USPS was going to be picking up boxes of food bank
>> donations. Just set them by the mailbox. Someone forgot to tell the mail
>> carrier.
>>
>> Not only was it not picked up, some kids who lived across the street
>> raided the box and stole the crispy Old El Paso taco shells. LOL
>>
>> Darn, now I'm thinking I want crispy tacos for dinner. I don't have any
>> taco shells.
>>
>> Jill

> Yes, I'm sure the mail carriers hate them since some of those bags and
> boxes could be quite heavy. I don't think they should put that on them.
> LOL at the El Paso taco shell theft.

In this area, the carriers don't pick them up. People in their own vehicles
do. Not sure who those people are.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 13, 2017 at 6:17:46 PM UTC-4, Casa lo pensa wrote:
> On 10/13/2017 3:34 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Friday, October 13, 2017 at 5:28:08 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> >
> >> On very windy days when the recyclable bin is out at the side of the
> >> road (we have no curbs) the bin blows over and the contents goes
> >> flying. My recyclabe bins are rarely very heavy as aluminum cat food
> >> cans don't weigh much so the bin blows over. So now I pour a couple
> >> three gallons of water into the bin to add weight. I used to add a
> >> few rocks but I ran out of rocks near the bin and I'm not about to
> >> carry rocks from any distance so gallon milk jugs of water works...
> >> and the water helps clean the bin.. I pour the water while the bins
> >> are still in my garage... sometimes I even add a few drops of dish
> >> washing liquid... can't hurt, cleans my bin and helps clean their
> >> truck.

> > We have two of these, provided by the waste hauler:
> >
> > <http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/janitorial-maintenance/garbage-recycling/containers-mobile/trash-container-mobile-trash-container-9>
> >
> > It takes an extraordinary wind to blow one over.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> Seriously?
>
> One of those wouldn't stay upright here 46 weeks out of 52!
>
> Admittedly we get a LOT of wind...
>
> We use:
>
> http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/252475...-1/s-l1000.jpg
>
> But most folks in suburbia have:
>
> https://s3.amazonaws.com/kingandcoun...h-can--yum.jpg

We rarely get winds over 40-gusting-to-60.

Of course for several months of the year, snow keeps them closed and
upright.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 18:50:04 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>news >
>> All I said during that discussion is I'd never seen bags in trees. I
>> certainly didn't call her a liar. The thought of plastic bags in trees
>> took me by surprise. I'm not saying it doesn't happen. Nancy, right
>> after that discussion didn't you tell me you saw a plastic bag in a tree?
>>
>> Jill

>I believe I was another that said I hadn't seen them in trees, but plenty on
>the ground when driving around. I used to get a lot trash in my yard living
>across from a high school, but they have been very good these past couple of
>years. I think some people posted pics of the bags in trees so I know it
>happens. but I don't remember anyone being called a liar over it.
>
>Cheri

As the person who made it all up, I do. It was probably a couple of
years ago and one floated in here and got stuck on a tree right in
front of my bedroom window. After awhile it really bugged me and
together with the super we invented a boat hook/scissors type gizmo
and were able to reach it and haul it down.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 10:42:15 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
> There's going to be a big event/food bank drive on Dataw on 10/29/17.
> It's in conjunction with a golf tournament.
>
> The organizers are going to set out 19 collection bins around the island
> that morning for food donations. One of the bins will be just down the
> street. I'll be donating.
>
> They're asking for *canned* food due to the long shelf-life. Also, the
> collection bins will be sitting outside for hours. No frozen or
> refrigerated food, please. Oh, and the people coming around to pick up
> the donations that afternoon won't have any way to guard against glass
> bottles/jars breaking so they'd rather none of those, either.
>
> I was told along with canned vegetables the emphasis is really on
> protein. Peanut butter (in plastic jars) was suggested. Along with
> canned beans, I'm thinking dried beans. Canned broth. Rice is a starch
> but if, as I suspect, many of the recipients will be local migrant farm
> workers, perhaps they might like some rice with those beans. More
> protein: canned chunk chicken, tuna, salmon. Spam.
>
> I'm also thinking canned fruit. Not everything is about protein.
>
> How about some dried herbs and spices?
>
> Any other suggestions for shelf-stable and/or or canned items to put in
> the food bank bin? I thought about canned tomatoes. But if this is
> indeed mostly going to feed the local farm workers, they're the ones who
> have been picking the tomatoes for months. They're probably sick of them.
>
> Jill

1000 posts about trash bags in a thread about food banks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 22:45:30 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 10/13/2017 9:50 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> news >>
>>> All I said during that discussion is I'd never seen bags in trees.* I
>>> certainly didn't call her a liar.* The thought of plastic bags in
>>> trees took me by surprise.* I'm not saying it doesn't happen.* Nancy,
>>> right after that discussion didn't you tell me you saw a plastic bag
>>> in a tree?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I believe I was another that said I hadn't seen them in trees, but
>> plenty on the ground when driving around. I used to get a lot trash in
>> my yard living across from a high school, but they have been very good
>> these past couple of years. I think some people posted pics of the bags
>> in trees so I know it happens. but I don't remember anyone being called
>> a liar over it.
>>
>> Cheri

>Thank you, Cheri. I didn't call her a liar.
>
>Now she's trying to say it's because I live on Dataw... Inferred I live
>in a sheltered world and never actually leave the house. That's crazy talk.
>
>Jill

I assume the only reason you live there is because as long as you live
there, it's yours, sell it and you have to split the money with your
brothers? Just can't figure a young woman living amongst a bunch of
retirees for any other reason. It would drive me nuts and I could be
your mother since you were born the same year as my younger daughter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>news
>> On 10/13/2017 9:50 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>

>>> I believe I was another that said I hadn't seen them in trees, but plenty
>>> on the ground when driving around. I used to get a lot trash in my yard
>>> living across from a high school, but they have been very good these past
>>> couple of years. I think some people posted pics of the bags in trees so
>>> I know it happens. but I don't remember anyone being called a liar over
>>> it.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Thank you, Cheri. I didn't call her a liar.
>>
>> Now she's trying to say it's because I live on Dataw... Inferred I live in
>> a sheltered world and never actually leave the house. That's crazy talk.
>>
>> Jill

>I think some might be a tiny bit jealous but fact of the matter is, most
>places like Dataw don't have some of the problems that other places do,
>doesn't mean they are sheltered from life, or don't know what going on
>around them, or most especially that they don't get out and about and see
>things everyday.
>
>Cheri
>
>Cheri

If you're inferring me being jealous no, curious, yes. Jill mentioned
being born in 1960, so was my younger daughter. She has worked hard,
is now at the top of the tree and has just come back from a great trip
around Italy. Your 50s should surely be the most fulfilling,
interesting time of life.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> >> I mentioned that and you didn't believe it - I saw a tree recently
> >> with about 3 bags festooning it, nearly stopped to take a pic but then
> >> thought wtf - I'm not a liar.

> >I don't remember anyone being accused of lying about plastic bags
> >in trees, I remember discussing why are they there? In numbers.
> >I think it started with someone talking about the road from some
> >airport not in the Us being lined with trees with bags.
> >
> >I certainly don't think it's a lie someone came up with.
> >
> >nancy

> Correct - however Jill doubted it because it doesn't happen on Dataw -
> that's why she dragged it up again.

I remember that old conversation. A little bit over a year ago. I
also remember who said that about the road from an (UK)airport
lined with trees and many plastic bags. STill LOL about that
claim.

I don't remember but good chance I might have been the one that
called it a lie. ;-) Get real...a few plastic bags in
trees...ok but a road lined with them...fail!

At the time, I also had NEVER seen a plastic bag in a tree. Not
ever@
To say that a road was "lined with trees and plastic bags" was
silly.

I did write back about a month or so later. We had a hurricane
pass by...the one that flooded Carol's neighborhood. At a job,
many tree limbs had fallen and were out on the street for trash
pickup. I did see a plastic bag in the branch pile. I did write
here and finally admit that I saw one.

That's the only time I've seen one though.

That said, for 12 years I found so many trash bags in my
apartment....underneath my dressers and in back corners of my
closets. My ferrets absolutely loved plastic bags. They would
play in them and also collect them into their secret hide-a-way
places.

One ferret (Jackie) also constantly carried off a full grocery
bag (filled with trash) and would stash it behind my sofa in the
living room. So funny.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/14/2017 7:26 AM, wrote:
> 1000 posts about trash bags in a thread about food banks.

Yer a pretty fart smeller.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/14/2017 7:28 AM, wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 22:45:30 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 10/13/2017 9:50 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>

>>> I believe I was another that said I hadn't seen them in trees, but
>>> plenty on the ground when driving around. I used to get a lot trash in
>>> my yard living across from a high school, but they have been very good
>>> these past couple of years. I think some people posted pics of the bags
>>> in trees so I know it happens. but I don't remember anyone being called
>>> a liar over it.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Thank you, Cheri. I didn't call her a liar.
>>
>> Now she's trying to say it's because I live on Dataw... Inferred I live
>> in a sheltered world and never actually leave the house. That's crazy talk.
>>
>> Jill

> I assume the only reason you live there is because as long as you live
> there, it's yours, sell it and you have to split the money with your
> brothers? Just can't figure a young woman living amongst a bunch of
> retirees for any other reason. It would drive me nuts and I could be
> your mother since you were born the same year as my younger daughter.

I would not have to split it with my brothers. The middle brother
expected me to sell it and split the proceeds. (He's just plain
greedy.) Mom's lawyer quickly disabused him of the notion he was
entitled to anything if I sell the house.

I enjoy a nice quiet lifestyle. It was no different before I moved
here. I'm a solitary person by nature. Give me a good book or a
classic film on television and I'm perfectly happy.

I have a small circle of friends but we don't feel the need to hang out
together constantly. Some people aren't comfortable unless they fill
their days with one activity or another. I'm not one of them.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 08:15:48 -0400, Gary > wrote:

wrote:

>> On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 20:30:35 -0400, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:

>> >I don't remember anyone being accused of lying about plastic bags
>> >in trees, I remember discussing why are they there? In numbers.
>> >I think it started with someone talking about the road from some
>> >airport not in the Us being lined with trees with bags.
>> >
>> >I certainly don't think it's a lie someone came up with.
>> >
>> >nancy

>> Correct - however Jill doubted it because it doesn't happen on Dataw -
>> that's why she dragged it up again.

>I remember that old conversation. A little bit over a year ago. I
>also remember who said that about the road from an (UK)airport
>lined with trees and many plastic bags. STill LOL about that
>claim.

Yes, I mentioned that and a couple of people verified it.

>I don't remember but good chance I might have been the one that
>called it a lie. ;-) Get real...a few plastic bags in
>trees...ok but a road lined with them...fail!
>
>At the time, I also had NEVER seen a plastic bag in a tree. Not
>ever@
>To say that a road was "lined with trees and plastic bags" was
>silly.
>
>I did write back about a month or so later. We had a hurricane
>pass by...the one that flooded Carol's neighborhood. At a job,
>many tree limbs had fallen and were out on the street for trash
>pickup. I did see a plastic bag in the branch pile. I did write
>here and finally admit that I saw one.
>
>That's the only time I've seen one though.

So you've been lucky. I do see a few less now since major
supermarkets put a 5cent per bag charge on plastic bags.

>That said, for 12 years I found so many trash bags in my
>apartment....underneath my dressers and in back corners of my
>closets. My ferrets absolutely loved plastic bags. They would
>play in them and also collect them into their secret hide-a-way
>places.
>
>One ferret (Jackie) also constantly carried off a full grocery
>bag (filled with trash) and would stash it behind my sofa in the
>living room. So funny.

The vet told me the reason one of my old cats loved the grocery bags
was because part of the process of making them involves bone meal.
Could be correct, he used to like to sit and chomp on it, not to eat,
just chomp.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> I don't remember anyone being accused of lying about plastic bags
>>> in trees, I remember discussing why are they there? In numbers.
>>> I think it started with someone talking about the road from some
>>> airport not in the Us being lined with trees with bags.
>>>
>>> I certainly don't think it's a lie someone came up with.
>>>
>>> nancy

>> Correct - however Jill doubted it because it doesn't happen on Dataw -
>> that's why she dragged it up again.

> I remember that old conversation. A little bit over a year ago. I
> also remember who said that about the road from an (UK)airport
> lined with trees and many plastic bags. STill LOL about that
> claim.
>
> I don't remember but good chance I might have been the one that
> called it a lie. ;-) Get real...a few plastic bags in
> trees...ok but a road lined with them...fail!
>
> At the time, I also had NEVER seen a plastic bag in a tree. Not
> ever@
> To say that a road was "lined with trees and plastic bags" was
> silly.
>
> I did write back about a month or so later. We had a hurricane
> pass by...the one that flooded Carol's neighborhood. At a job,
> many tree limbs had fallen and were out on the street for trash
> pickup. I did see a plastic bag in the branch pile. I did write
> here and finally admit that I saw one.
>
> That's the only time I've seen one though.

Thank you, Gary! I'll have to start scanning the trees when I drive to
the grocery store on Lady's Island or the dollar store on St. Helena,
just to see if I spot one.

> That said, for 12 years I found so many trash bags in my
> apartment....underneath my dressers and in back corners of my
> closets. My ferrets absolutely loved plastic bags. They would
> play in them and also collect them into their secret hide-a-way
> places.

LOL Sounds like squirrel behavior!

> One ferret (Jackie) also constantly carried off a full grocery
> bag (filled with trash) and would stash it behind my sofa in the
> living room. So funny.

Funny little creatures.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/14/2017 9:57 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>> I remember that old conversation. A little bit over a year ago. I
>> also remember who said that about the road from an (UK)airport
>> lined with trees and many plastic bags. STill LOL about that
>> claim.
>>
>> I don't remember but good chance I might have been the one that
>> called it a lie.Â* ;-)Â* Get real...a few plastic bags in
>> trees...ok but a road lined with them...fail!
>>
>> At the time, I also had NEVER seen a plastic bag in a tree. Not
>> ever@
>> To say that a road was "lined with trees and plastic bags" was
>> silly.
>>
>> I did write back about a month or so later. We had a hurricane
>> pass by...the one that flooded Carol's neighborhood. At a job,
>> many tree limbs had fallen and were out on the street for trash
>> pickup. I did see a plastic bag in the branch pile. I did write
>> here and finally admit that I saw one.
>>
>> That's the only time I've seen one though.
>>

> Thank you, Gary!Â* I'll have to start scanning the trees when I drive to
> the grocery store on Lady's Island or the dollar store on St. Helena,
> just to see if I spot one.

I don
t recall ever seeing one in a tree, but certainly have as litter in
other places. Just yesterday on the highway I went over one.

Many people are just slobs and couple that with baggers that use too
many to start with. Most of the time the bag will hold more than they
will fit in it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Correct - however Jill doubted it because it doesn't happen on Dataw -
>>> that's why she dragged it up again.

>> I remember that old conversation. A little bit over a year ago. I
>> also remember who said that about the road from an (UK)airport
>> lined with trees and many plastic bags. STill LOL about that
>> claim.
>>
>> I don't remember but good chance I might have been the one that
>> called it a lie. ;-) Get real...a few plastic bags in
>> trees...ok but a road lined with them...fail!
>>
>> At the time, I also had NEVER seen a plastic bag in a tree. Not
>> ever@
>> To say that a road was "lined with trees and plastic bags" was
>> silly.
>>
>> I did write back about a month or so later. We had a hurricane
>> pass by...the one that flooded Carol's neighborhood. At a job,
>> many tree limbs had fallen and were out on the street for trash
>> pickup. I did see a plastic bag in the branch pile. I did write
>> here and finally admit that I saw one.
>>
>> That's the only time I've seen one though.
>>

>Thank you, Gary! I'll have to start scanning the trees when I drive to
>the grocery store on Lady's Island or the dollar store on St. Helena,
>just to see if I spot one.

There you are again - you just don't believe myself and several others
do you?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 10:31:14 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 10/14/2017 9:57 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>>> I remember that old conversation. A little bit over a year ago. I
>>> also remember who said that about the road from an (UK)airport
>>> lined with trees and many plastic bags. STill LOL about that
>>> claim.
>>>
>>> I don't remember but good chance I might have been the one that
>>> called it a lie.* ;-)* Get real...a few plastic bags in
>>> trees...ok but a road lined with them...fail!
>>>
>>> At the time, I also had NEVER seen a plastic bag in a tree. Not
>>> ever@
>>> To say that a road was "lined with trees and plastic bags" was
>>> silly.
>>>
>>> I did write back about a month or so later. We had a hurricane
>>> pass by...the one that flooded Carol's neighborhood. At a job,
>>> many tree limbs had fallen and were out on the street for trash
>>> pickup. I did see a plastic bag in the branch pile. I did write
>>> here and finally admit that I saw one.
>>>
>>> That's the only time I've seen one though.
>>>

>> Thank you, Gary!* I'll have to start scanning the trees when I drive to
>> the grocery store on Lady's Island or the dollar store on St. Helena,
>> just to see if I spot one.
>>

>I don
>t recall ever seeing one in a tree, but certainly have as litter in
>other places. Just yesterday on the highway I went over one.
>
>Many people are just slobs and couple that with baggers that use too
>many to start with. Most of the time the bag will hold more than they
>will fit in it.

It possibly depends on the surrounding land - I am atop a fairly high
hill overlooking Halifax and the harbour so logically when the bags
start floating as in the clip which was included, they would perhaps
fetch up here. I have always assumed they came from garbage trucks
mostly and human carelessness secondly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> I remember that old conversation. A little bit over a year ago. I
>>> also remember who said that about the road from an (UK)airport
>>> lined with trees and many plastic bags. STill LOL about that
>>> claim.
>>>
>>> I don't remember but good chance I might have been the one that
>>> called it a lie. ;-) Get real...a few plastic bags in
>>> trees...ok but a road lined with them...fail!
>>>
>>> At the time, I also had NEVER seen a plastic bag in a tree. Not
>>> ever@
>>> To say that a road was "lined with trees and plastic bags" was
>>> silly.
>>>
>>> I did write back about a month or so later. We had a hurricane
>>> pass by...the one that flooded Carol's neighborhood. At a job,
>>> many tree limbs had fallen and were out on the street for trash
>>> pickup. I did see a plastic bag in the branch pile. I did write
>>> here and finally admit that I saw one.
>>>
>>> That's the only time I've seen one though.
>>>

>> Thank you, Gary! I'll have to start scanning the trees when I drive to
>> the grocery store on Lady's Island or the dollar store on St. Helena,
>> just to see if I spot one.

> There you are again - you just don't believe myself and several others
> do you?

I did NOT say I didn't believe you (or others). If you insist I'm
calling you a liar I can't change your mind. I was thanking Gary for
admitting *he's* the one who said it was a lie.

The ONLY reason I brought it up is because Beaufort County is
considering banning plastic bags from grocery stores. I mentioned the
bags in trees as an amusing anecdote. You took it off on this tangent,
claiming I called you a liar. I did not. Ever.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

My garbage can lid blew off once and rolled 3/4 the way down the hill in the woods.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I enjoy a nice quiet lifestyle. It was no different before I moved
> here. I'm a solitary person by nature. Give me a good book or a
> classic film on television and I'm perfectly happy.
>
> I have a small circle of friends but we don't feel the need to hang out
> together constantly. Some people aren't comfortable unless they fill
> their days with one activity or another. I'm not one of them.

Same here, Jill.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/13/2017 10:20 PM, Bruce wrote:
> you should distinguish between what's
> naturally in produce and what the food industry has artificially added

You should quit trying to be everyone's dietary nanny, poofter!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/14/2017 4:15 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, October 13, 2017 at 6:17:46 PM UTC-4, Casa lo pensa wrote:

>>> We have two of these, provided by the waste hauler:
>>>
>>> <http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/janitorial-maintenance/garbage-recycling/containers-mobile/trash-container-mobile-trash-container-9>
>>>
>>> It takes an extraordinary wind to blow one over.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> Seriously?
>>
>> One of those wouldn't stay upright here 46 weeks out of 52!
>>
>> Admittedly we get a LOT of wind...
>>
>> We use:
>>
>> http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/252475...-1/s-l1000.jpg
>>
>> But most folks in suburbia have:
>>
>> https://s3.amazonaws.com/kingandcoun...h-can--yum.jpg

> We rarely get winds over 40-gusting-to-60.

It only takes one good blow...

> Of course for several months of the year, snow keeps them closed and
> upright.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Sounds like a marvelous climate...for eskimos!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/14/2017 5:36 AM, wrote:
> Your 50s should surely be the most fulfilling,
> interesting time of life.

Oh please - WISE UP!

http://www.economist.com/node/17722567/

The U-bend of life

Why, beyond middle age, people get happier as they get older

http://andrewgelman.com/2010/12/26/age_and_happine/

Age and happiness: The pattern isnt as clear as you might think
Posted by Andrew on 26 December 2010, 8:52 am
A couple people pointed me to this recent news article which discusses
€œwhy, beyond middle age, people get happier as they get older.€ Heres
the story:

When people start out on adult life, they are, on average, pretty
cheerful. Things go downhill from youth to middle age until they reach a
nadir commonly known as the mid-life crisis. So far, so familiar. The
surprising part happens after that. Although as people move towards old
age they lose things they treasure€“vitality, mental sharpness and
looks€“they also gain what people spend their lives pursuing: happiness.

This curious finding has emerged from a new branch of economics that
seeks a more satisfactory measure than money of human well-being.
Conventional economics uses money as a proxy for utility€“the dismal way
in which the discipline talks about happiness. But some economists,
unconvinced that there is a direct relationship between money and
well-being, have decided to go to the nub of the matter and measure
happiness itself. . . There are already a lot of data on the subject
collected by, for instance, Americas General Social Survey,
Eurobarometer and Gallup. . . .

And heres the killer graph:
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/14/2017 6:53 AM, Casa lo pensa wrote:
> On 10/14/2017 7:26 AM, wrote:
>> 1000 posts about trash bags in a thread about food banks.
>>

> Yer a pretty fart smeller.

forged

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/14/2017 7:43 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> Some people aren't comfortable unless they fill their days with one
> activity or another.Â* I'm not one of them.
>
> Jill

But not RFC of course....right???
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/14/2017 9:05 AM, wrote:
> My garbage can lid blew off once and rolled 3/4 the way down the hill in the woods.

I bet it was Mothman that did it...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

On 10/14/2017 9:57 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>> I remember that old conversation. A little bit over a year ago. I
>> also remember who said that about the road from an (UK)airport
>> lined with trees and many plastic bags. STill LOL about that
>> claim.
>>
>> I don't remember but good chance I might have been the one that
>> called it a lie. ;-) Get real...a few plastic bags in
>> trees...ok but a road lined with them...fail!
>>
>> At the time, I also had NEVER seen a plastic bag in a tree. Not
>> ever@
>> To say that a road was "lined with trees and plastic bags" was
>> silly.
>>
>> I did write back about a month or so later. We had a hurricane
>> pass by...the one that flooded Carol's neighborhood. At a job,
>> many tree limbs had fallen and were out on the street for trash
>> pickup. I did see a plastic bag in the branch pile. I did write
>> here and finally admit that I saw one.
>>
>> That's the only time I've seen one though.
>>

> Thank you, Gary! I'll have to start scanning the trees when I drive to
> the grocery store on Lady's Island or the dollar store on St. Helena, just
> to see if I spot one.

I don
t recall ever seeing one in a tree, but certainly have as litter in
other places. Just yesterday on the highway I went over one.

Many people are just slobs and couple that with baggers that use too
many to start with. Most of the time the bag will hold more than they
will fit in it.

==

Do your stores give plastic bags free? Ours have charged for them for a
long time and it is rare to see a shopper going for a lot of groceries
without taking their own bags.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 02:29:10 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message
>>
>>> Um, typically the homeless frequent soup kitchens.

>> No soup kitchens here. Seattle? Yeah.

> The Bothell Community Kitchen (@ the Methodist church) provides hot
> meals to anyone in need.
>
> Oh, that's right, you don't live in Bothell or any other city for that
> matter. So you don't even have grocery stores or gas stations "where
> you live".

http://www.bothellumc.org/index.php/...y-kitchen-info

Share a meal and fellowship. Might be okay for a Methodist. If not, I dunno.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 10/13/2017 1:51 PM, Cheri wrote:
>

>> All of our carts too, garbage, recycle, lawn clipping. Hydraulic arm
>> picks them up dumps them into the truck and sets them back down.
>>
>> Cheri

> Most towns won't take lawn clippings. It is better to use a mulching
> blade and get a better lawn.
>
> Our trash is bagged and has a sticker you pay for ($1 large 50 cent small)
> on it and then hand loaded. Recycle goes in a bin that is hand loaded.
> No automation here.

Lawn clippings are taken here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> Bags in trees... don't you miss the good old days when we just didn't
> know about these things? We were so innocent then.

http://viralcircus.com/wp-content/up...ts-in-tree.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> We just use a big plastic lawn and leaf bag in the kitchen trash. When we
> take the trash out, this is taken around the house and the rest of the trash
> emptied into it.

Well no wonder you always say you have no room in your small
kitchen.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

But you said:

"No soup kitchens here. Seattle? Yeah."

So come on, quit hiding from a retraction.

http://www.homelessnessinamerica.com..._wa_11226.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I enjoy a nice quiet lifestyle. It was no different before I moved
>> here. I'm a solitary person by nature. Give me a good book or a
>> classic film on television and I'm perfectly happy.
>>
>> I have a small circle of friends but we don't feel the need to hang out
>> together constantly. Some people aren't comfortable unless they fill
>> their days with one activity or another. I'm not one of them.

> Same here, Jill.

I could say the same for myself, I have a couple of close friends that have
been friends since we were kids, but I am not a highly social person, never
have been, more with family than with acquaintances for entertainment. DH
and I are the same that way, except for his raunchy sex talk at McDonald's
with his raunchy friends once or so a week. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/14/2017 11:11 AM, Gary wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Bags in trees... don't you miss the good old days when we just didn't
>> know about these things? We were so innocent then.

> http://viralcircus.com/wp-content/up...ts-in-tree.jpg

Man!!!

That's windier than HERE!

Anyone else donating food to the occupiers? Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 148 14-10-2011 12:58 AM
Food Bank Omelet[_7_] General Cooking 60 01-10-2008 08:05 PM
Food Bank! jmcquown General Cooking 14 26-10-2006 08:40 PM
Food Event -- Foothill Unity Center, Inc. & L A Regional Food Bank Harriet Neal General Cooking 0 06-04-2006 05:32 AM
Food Bank! jmcquown General Cooking 32 13-05-2005 10:27 PM