Old 11-10-2017, 03:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Donating to the Food Bank

There's going to be a big event/food bank drive on Dataw on 10/29/17.
It's in conjunction with a golf tournament.

The organizers are going to set out 19 collection bins around the island
that morning for food donations. One of the bins will be just down the
street. I'll be donating.

They're asking for *canned* food due to the long shelf-life. Also, the
collection bins will be sitting outside for hours. No frozen or
refrigerated food, please. Oh, and the people coming around to pick up
the donations that afternoon won't have any way to guard against glass
bottles/jars breaking so they'd rather none of those, either.

I was told along with canned vegetables the emphasis is really on
protein. Peanut butter (in plastic jars) was suggested. Along with
canned beans, I'm thinking dried beans. Canned broth. Rice is a starch
but if, as I suspect, many of the recipients will be local migrant farm
workers, perhaps they might like some rice with those beans. More
protein: canned chunk chicken, tuna, salmon. Spam.

I'm also thinking canned fruit. Not everything is about protein.

How about some dried herbs and spices?

Any other suggestions for shelf-stable and/or or canned items to put in
the food bank bin? I thought about canned tomatoes. But if this is
indeed mostly going to feed the local farm workers, they're the ones who
have been picking the tomatoes for months. They're probably sick of them.

Jill

Old 11-10-2017, 04:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 9:42:15 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

Any other suggestions for shelf-stable and/or or canned items to put in
the food bank bin? I thought about canned tomatoes. But if this is
indeed mostly going to feed the local farm workers, they're the ones who
have been picking the tomatoes for months. They're probably sick of them.

Jill

Don't shoot the messenger but how about donating some boxes of
Hamburger Helper or boxes of macaroni and/or spaghetti? These
are all shelf stable items.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 20:16:46 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 9:42:15 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

Any other suggestions for shelf-stable and/or or canned items to put in
the food bank bin? I thought about canned tomatoes. But if this is
indeed mostly going to feed the local farm workers, they're the ones who
have been picking the tomatoes for months. They're probably sick of them.

Jill

Don't shoot the messenger but how about donating some boxes of
Hamburger Helper or boxes of macaroni and/or spaghetti? These
are all shelf stable items.

I wouldn't donate Hamburger Helper. You could end up in jail for
trying to poison people. Here are the ingredients of Betty Crocker
Hamburger Helper Classic Three Cheese:

Enriched Pasta (Wheat Flour, Durum Wheat Flour, Niacin, Ferrous
Sulfate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Corn Starch,
Maltodextrin, Salt, Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamin
Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Monosodium Glutamate, Sugar,
Ricotta Cheese* (Whey, Milkfat, Lactic Acid, Salt), Parmesan Cheese*
(Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Citric Acid, Blue Cheese*
(Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Partially Hydrogenated Soybean
Oil, Cultured Nonfat Milk, Monoglycerides, Color (Yellow Lakes 5 & 6,
Yellows 5 & 6, Red 40 Lake), Yeast Extract, Whey, Natural Flavor, Blue
Cheese* (Milk, Salt, Cheese Cultures, Enzymes), Enzyme Modified Blue
Cheese (Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Enzyme Modified Cheddar
Cheese (Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Sodium Phosphate,
Silicon Dioxide (Anticaking Agent). *Dried.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2017 9:51 PM, Bruce wrote:
Here are the ingredients

_.- -._

-- --
/\
__
/ \
\__/

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwww wwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.....

Old 11-10-2017, 06:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message
news
[...]

The seasonings/spices I give are salt, pepper, chili powder, parsley,
cinnamon and Italian seasoning. I also do canned chicken, turkey, tuna,
beef, etc. Also canned ravioli and chili. I also like to donate things they
might not get a lot of such as olives. And if you can find these, they are
wonderful! We used to take them to dance conventions. Can be eaten as is and
come with a fork. I have also gotten good feedback from recipients who
received donations of them.

http://www.stdalfour.us/Market.cfm/category/11/

Old 11-10-2017, 06:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 9:42:15 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

Any other suggestions for shelf-stable and/or or canned items to put in
the food bank bin? I thought about canned tomatoes. But if this is
indeed mostly going to feed the local farm workers, they're the ones who
have been picking the tomatoes for months. They're probably sick of
them.

Jill

Don't shoot the messenger but how about donating some boxes of
Hamburger Helper or boxes of macaroni and/or spaghetti? These
are all shelf stable items.

But those are not canned and... The people who receive them may not have the
necessary ingredients to make them. I remember hearing on the radio some
years ago about a woman who had so little that she didn't even have a pan or
a stove. They said if you were going to donate to keep that in mind. Most
anything can be eaten straight from the can. Might be better if chilled or
heated but...

Old 11-10-2017, 06:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 23:37:58 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

I did inquire about dried pasta and things like that. She said of
course but she kept mentioning protein. The thing about Hamburger
Helper is you have to add the ground beef. However, since I've already
got canned tuna on my list... no reason not to get Tuna Helper! Is
there a [canned] Chicken Helper? If not there should be.

Oh, and as I told Julie, DO NOT buy food just to give it to the food
bank. Just donate the money you would have spent directly to the food
bank.

The food bank buys food from their USDA contractors (food
manufacturers) at about an 80% discount. That box of Tuna Helper you
bought for $1.75, the food bank could have bought 4 boxes for that
same price, and had $.35 left over to help pay for their facilities.

You did tell me that. But that being said, I still donate items. I can get
items for free. Currently I have people in my own life who are needy. So I
give to them. Otherwise I would give to the food bank.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz Wrote in message:
On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 23:37:58 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

I did inquire about dried pasta and things like that. She said of
course but she kept mentioning protein. The thing about Hamburger
Helper is you have to add the ground beef. However, since I've already
got canned tuna on my list... no reason not to get Tuna Helper! Is
there a [canned] Chicken Helper? If not there should be.

Oh, and as I told Julie, DO NOT buy food just to give it to the food
bank. Just donate the money you would have spent directly to the food
bank.

The food bank buys food from their USDA contractors (food
manufacturers) at about an 80% discount. That box of Tuna Helper you
bought for $1.75, the food bank could have bought 4 boxes for that
same price, and had $.35 left over to help pay for their facilities.

-sw

Good stuff. Thanks.
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old 11-10-2017, 08:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" Wrote in message:

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
[...]

I love that you take advantage of coupons and free offers to give
to food banks. I need to remember that when I see the same types
of offers. Sometimes I'll see a BOGO and give the freebie to my
neighbor because they struggle too sometimes but I don't always
think about it f for canned food and other non perishables. But
if I see a buy one 5lb bag of potatoes and get one free I always
grab that free one even though I'd never use it myself
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old 11-10-2017, 08:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Lamest post everrrrrr. Lol
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old 11-10-2017, 08:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" Wrote in message:

wrote in message
[...]

I don't know about this but do those being recipients have the
option to just not take what they can't use, while others could
make use of something like that? Or do they just get a bag of
stuff and there are things they can't use so they toss it? That
doesn't make sense to me
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old 11-10-2017, 08:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 12:45:08 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

wrote in message

On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 9:42:15 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

Any other suggestions for shelf-stable and/or or canned items to put in
the food bank bin?

Jill

Don't shoot the messenger but how about donating some boxes of
Hamburger Helper or boxes of macaroni and/or spaghetti? These
are all shelf stable items.

But those are not canned and...

Learn to read, dummy. Jill's post said they are requesting
***shelf-stable AND/OR canned items.*** About the only people
that will be, if any, eating directly out of the can are going
to be transients aka drifter/hobo/homeless.

Anyone else donating food to the occupiers? Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 148 14-10-2011 12:58 AM
Food Bank Omelet[_7_] General Cooking 60 01-10-2008 08:05 PM
Food Bank! jmcquown General Cooking 14 26-10-2006 08:40 PM
Food Event -- Foothill Unity Center, Inc. & L A Regional Food Bank Harriet Neal General Cooking 0 06-04-2006 05:32 AM
Food Bank! jmcquown General Cooking 32 13-05-2005 10:27 PM