Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Donating to the Food Bank

On 2017-10-12 11:17 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 08:32:46 -0400, Dave Smith

>> Okay. They can try to be a little more careful. Some things come in
>> bottles and jars. They are donations and can be treated with a little
>> bit of respect.

> I am not familiar with a situation where careful comes into play. Like
> Jill's situation, I see collection bins on a pallet. Like those huge
> boxes you see watermelons in, or pumpkins or winter squash. You dump
> your offering in and someone behind you dumps their offering. There
> are semis parked nearby and a guy with a front-end loader is picking
> up these pallet boxes and running them into a truck. There's no
> little old lady sitting at a table accepting 6 cans of tuna. There
> are cars in a block long line behind me waiting to off load their
> stuff, often little children are helping drop things into the box.
> Cans can survive that, glass not so much.

Okay then. Their problem is with the process. I have worked on food
drives where volunteers went door to door. There had been advance notice
and some people had filled bags and left them on the porch. Someone with
a pickup truck was with the group and they would load the bags of
donations into the truck. The trucks then drove to the organization's
depot and unloaded them by hand...carefully.