FoodBanter.com

-   -   Donating to the Food Bank (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/442078-donating-food-bank.html)

jmcquown[_2_] 11-10-2017 03:42 AM

Donating to the Food Bank

There's going to be a big event/food bank drive on Dataw on 10/29/17.
It's in conjunction with a golf tournament.

The organizers are going to set out 19 collection bins around the island
that morning for food donations. One of the bins will be just down the
street. I'll be donating.

They're asking for *canned* food due to the long shelf-life. Also, the
collection bins will be sitting outside for hours. No frozen or
refrigerated food, please. Oh, and the people coming around to pick up
the donations that afternoon won't have any way to guard against glass
bottles/jars breaking so they'd rather none of those, either.

I was told along with canned vegetables the emphasis is really on
protein. Peanut butter (in plastic jars) was suggested. Along with
canned beans, I'm thinking dried beans. Canned broth. Rice is a starch
but if, as I suspect, many of the recipients will be local migrant farm
workers, perhaps they might like some rice with those beans. More
protein: canned chunk chicken, tuna, salmon. Spam.

I'm also thinking canned fruit. Not everything is about protein.

How about some dried herbs and spices?

Any other suggestions for shelf-stable and/or or canned items to put in
the food bank bin? I thought about canned tomatoes. But if this is
indeed mostly going to feed the local farm workers, they're the ones who
have been picking the tomatoes for months. They're probably sick of them.

Jill

[email protected][_2_] 11-10-2017 04:16 AM

Donating to the Food Bank

On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 9:42:15 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

> Any other suggestions for shelf-stable and/or or canned items to put in
> the food bank bin? I thought about canned tomatoes. But if this is
> indeed mostly going to feed the local farm workers, they're the ones who
> have been picking the tomatoes for months. They're probably sick of them.
>
> Jill

Don't shoot the messenger but how about donating some boxes of
Hamburger Helper or boxes of macaroni and/or spaghetti? These
are all shelf stable items.

jmcquown[_2_] 11-10-2017 04:37 AM

Donating to the Food Bank

On 10/10/2017 11:16 PM, wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 9:42:15 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>
>> Any other suggestions for shelf-stable and/or or canned items to put in
>> the food bank bin? I thought about canned tomatoes. But if this is
>> indeed mostly going to feed the local farm workers, they're the ones who
>> have been picking the tomatoes for months. They're probably sick of them.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Don't shoot the messenger but how about donating some boxes of
> Hamburger Helper or boxes of macaroni and/or spaghetti? These
> are all shelf stable items.

I did inquire about dried pasta and things like that. She said of
course but she kept mentioning protein. The thing about Hamburger
Helper is you have to add the ground beef. However, since I've already
got canned tuna on my list... no reason not to get Tuna Helper! Is
there a [canned] Chicken Helper? If not there should be. ;)

Jill

Bruce[_28_] 11-10-2017 04:51 AM

Donating to the Food Bank

On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 20:16:46 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 9:42:15 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>
>> Any other suggestions for shelf-stable and/or or canned items to put in
>> the food bank bin? I thought about canned tomatoes. But if this is
>> indeed mostly going to feed the local farm workers, they're the ones who
>> have been picking the tomatoes for months. They're probably sick of them.
>>
>> Jill
>>

>Don't shoot the messenger but how about donating some boxes of
>Hamburger Helper or boxes of macaroni and/or spaghetti? These
>are all shelf stable items.

I wouldn't donate Hamburger Helper. You could end up in jail for
trying to poison people. Here are the ingredients of Betty Crocker
Hamburger Helper Classic Three Cheese:

Enriched Pasta (Wheat Flour, Durum Wheat Flour, Niacin, Ferrous
Sulfate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Corn Starch,
Maltodextrin, Salt, Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamin
Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Monosodium Glutamate, Sugar,
Ricotta Cheese* (Whey, Milkfat, Lactic Acid, Salt), Parmesan Cheese*
(Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Citric Acid, Blue Cheese*
(Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Partially Hydrogenated Soybean
Oil, Cultured Nonfat Milk, Monoglycerides, Color (Yellow Lakes 5 & 6,
Yellows 5 & 6, Red 40 Lake), Yeast Extract, Whey, Natural Flavor, Blue
Cheese* (Milk, Salt, Cheese Cultures, Enzymes), Enzyme Modified Blue
Cheese (Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Enzyme Modified Cheddar
Cheese (Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Sodium Phosphate,
Silicon Dioxide (Anticaking Agent). *Dried.

Casa lo pensa 11-10-2017 05:08 AM

Donating to the Food Bank

On 10/10/2017 9:51 PM, Bruce wrote:
> Here are the ingredients

_.- -._

<--> <-->
/\
__
/ \
\__/

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwww wwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.....

[email protected][_2_] 11-10-2017 05:22 AM

Donating to the Food Bank

On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 10:38:10 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

> On 10/10/2017 11:16 PM, wrote:
>
> > Don't shoot the messenger but how about donating some boxes of
> > Hamburger Helper or boxes of macaroni and/or spaghetti? These
> > are all shelf stable items.
> >

> I did inquire about dried pasta and things like that. She said of
> course but she kept mentioning protein. The thing about Hamburger
> Helper is you have to add the ground beef. However, since I've already
> got canned tuna on my list... no reason not to get Tuna Helper! Is
> there a [canned] Chicken Helper? If not there should be. ;)
>
> Jill

Some sort of Chicken Helper comes to mind and that could be made
with canned chicken.

Hmmmmmm, how about a few cans of corned beef hash? Or some cans
chili, with or without beans?

Julie Bove[_2_] 11-10-2017 06:42 AM

Donating to the Food Bank

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> There's going to be a big event/food bank drive on Dataw on 10/29/17. It's
> in conjunction with a golf tournament.
>
> The organizers are going to set out 19 collection bins around the island
> that morning for food donations. One of the bins will be just down the
> street. I'll be donating.
>
> They're asking for *canned* food due to the long shelf-life. Also, the
> collection bins will be sitting outside for hours. No frozen or
> refrigerated food, please. Oh, and the people coming around to pick up
> the donations that afternoon won't have any way to guard against glass
> bottles/jars breaking so they'd rather none of those, either.
>
> I was told along with canned vegetables the emphasis is really on protein.
> Peanut butter (in plastic jars) was suggested. Along with canned beans,
> I'm thinking dried beans. Canned broth. Rice is a starch but if, as I
> suspect, many of the recipients will be local migrant farm workers,
> perhaps they might like some rice with those beans. More protein: canned
> chunk chicken, tuna, salmon. Spam.
>
> I'm also thinking canned fruit. Not everything is about protein.
>
> How about some dried herbs and spices?
>
> Any other suggestions for shelf-stable and/or or canned items to put in
> the food bank bin? I thought about canned tomatoes. But if this is
> indeed mostly going to feed the local farm workers, they're the ones who
> have been picking the tomatoes for months. They're probably sick of them.

The seasonings/spices I give are salt, pepper, chili powder, parsley,
cinnamon and Italian seasoning. I also do canned chicken, turkey, tuna,
beef, etc. Also canned ravioli and chili. I also like to donate things they
might not get a lot of such as olives. And if you can find these, they are
wonderful! We used to take them to dance conventions. Can be eaten as is and
come with a fork. I have also gotten good feedback from recipients who
received donations of them.

http://www.stdalfour.us/Market.cfm/category/11/

Julie Bove[_2_] 11-10-2017 06:45 AM

Donating to the Food Bank

> wrote in message
> On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 9:42:15 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>
>> Any other suggestions for shelf-stable and/or or canned items to put in
>> the food bank bin? I thought about canned tomatoes. But if this is
>> indeed mostly going to feed the local farm workers, they're the ones who
>> have been picking the tomatoes for months. They're probably sick of
>> them.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Don't shoot the messenger but how about donating some boxes of
> Hamburger Helper or boxes of macaroni and/or spaghetti? These
> are all shelf stable items.

But those are not canned and... The people who receive them may not have the
necessary ingredients to make them. I remember hearing on the radio some
years ago about a woman who had so little that she didn't even have a pan or
a stove. They said if you were going to donate to keep that in mind. Most
anything can be eaten straight from the can. Might be better if chilled or
heated but...

Julie Bove[_2_] 11-10-2017 06:46 AM

Donating to the Food Bank

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 10/10/2017 11:16 PM, wrote:
>> On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 9:42:15 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>>
>>> Any other suggestions for shelf-stable and/or or canned items to put in
>>> the food bank bin? I thought about canned tomatoes. But if this is
>>> indeed mostly going to feed the local farm workers, they're the ones who
>>> have been picking the tomatoes for months. They're probably sick of
>>> them.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> Don't shoot the messenger but how about donating some boxes of
>> Hamburger Helper or boxes of macaroni and/or spaghetti? These
>> are all shelf stable items.
>>

> I did inquire about dried pasta and things like that. She said of course
> but she kept mentioning protein. The thing about Hamburger Helper is you
> have to add the ground beef. However, since I've already got canned tuna
> on my list... no reason not to get Tuna Helper! Is there a [canned]
> Chicken Helper? If not there should be. ;)

Nuts come in a can. You can get canned chicken and noodles/dumplings, etc.
Often located on the bottom shelf where the canned chicken and tuna are.

Julie Bove[_2_] 11-10-2017 06:48 AM

Donating to the Food Bank

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 23:37:58 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I did inquire about dried pasta and things like that. She said of
>> course but she kept mentioning protein. The thing about Hamburger
>> Helper is you have to add the ground beef. However, since I've already
>> got canned tuna on my list... no reason not to get Tuna Helper! Is
>> there a [canned] Chicken Helper? If not there should be. ;)

> Oh, and as I told Julie, DO NOT buy food just to give it to the food
> bank. Just donate the money you would have spent directly to the food
> bank.
>
> The food bank buys food from their USDA contractors (food
> manufacturers) at about an 80% discount. That box of Tuna Helper you
> bought for $1.75, the food bank could have bought 4 boxes for that
> same price, and had $.35 left over to help pay for their facilities.

You did tell me that. But that being said, I still donate items. I can get
items for free. Currently I have people in my own life who are needy. So I
give to them. Otherwise I would give to the food bank.

Cheryl[_3_] 11-10-2017 08:02 AM

Donating to the Food Bank

Sqwertz > Wrote in message:
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 23:37:58 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I did inquire about dried pasta and things like that. She said of
>> course but she kept mentioning protein. The thing about Hamburger
>> Helper is you have to add the ground beef. However, since I've already
>> got canned tuna on my list... no reason not to get Tuna Helper! Is
>> there a [canned] Chicken Helper? If not there should be. ;)

> Oh, and as I told Julie, DO NOT buy food just to give it to the food
> bank. Just donate the money you would have spent directly to the food
> bank.
>
> The food bank buys food from their USDA contractors (food
> manufacturers) at about an 80% discount. That box of Tuna Helper you
> bought for $1.75, the food bank could have bought 4 boxes for that
> same price, and had $.35 left over to help pay for their facilities.
>
> -sw

Good stuff. Thanks.
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Cheryl[_3_] 11-10-2017 08:07 AM

Donating to the Food Bank

"Julie Bove" > Wrote in message:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 23:37:58 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> I did inquire about dried pasta and things like that. She said of
>>> course but she kept mentioning protein. The thing about Hamburger
>>> Helper is you have to add the ground beef. However, since I've already
>>> got canned tuna on my list... no reason not to get Tuna Helper! Is
>>> there a [canned] Chicken Helper? If not there should be. ;)

>> Oh, and as I told Julie, DO NOT buy food just to give it to the food
>> bank. Just donate the money you would have spent directly to the food
>> bank.
>>
>> The food bank buys food from their USDA contractors (food
>> manufacturers) at about an 80% discount. That box of Tuna Helper you
>> bought for $1.75, the food bank could have bought 4 boxes for that
>> same price, and had $.35 left over to help pay for their facilities.

> You did tell me that. But that being said, I still donate items. I can get
> items for free. Currently I have people in my own life who are needy. So I
> give to them. Otherwise I would give to the food bank.

I love that you take advantage of coupons and free offers to give
to food banks. I need to remember that when I see the same types
of offers. Sometimes I'll see a BOGO and give the freebie to my
neighbor because they struggle too sometimes but I don't always
think about it f for canned food and other non perishables. But
if I see a buy one 5lb bag of potatoes and get one free I always
grab that free one even though I'd never use it myself
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Cheryl[_3_] 11-10-2017 08:08 AM

Donating to the Food Bank

Bruce > Wrote in message:
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 20:16:46 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 9:42:15 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>>
>>> Any other suggestions for shelf-stable and/or or canned items to put in
>>> the food bank bin? I thought about canned tomatoes. But if this is
>>> indeed mostly going to feed the local farm workers, they're the ones who
>>> have been picking the tomatoes for months. They're probably sick of them.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>>Don't shoot the messenger but how about donating some boxes of
>>Hamburger Helper or boxes of macaroni and/or spaghetti? These
>>are all shelf stable items.

> I wouldn't donate Hamburger Helper. You could end up in jail for
> trying to poison people. Here are the ingredients of Betty Crocker
> Hamburger Helper Classic Three Cheese:
>
> Enriched Pasta (Wheat Flour, Durum Wheat Flour, Niacin, Ferrous
> Sulfate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Corn Starch,
> Maltodextrin, Salt, Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamin
> Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Monosodium Glutamate, Sugar,
> Ricotta Cheese* (Whey, Milkfat, Lactic Acid, Salt), Parmesan Cheese*
> (Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Citric Acid, Blue Cheese*
> (Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Partially Hydrogenated Soybean
> Oil, Cultured Nonfat Milk, Monoglycerides, Color (Yellow Lakes 5 & 6,
> Yellows 5 & 6, Red 40 Lake), Yeast Extract, Whey, Natural Flavor, Blue
> Cheese* (Milk, Salt, Cheese Cultures, Enzymes), Enzyme Modified Blue
> Cheese (Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Enzyme Modified Cheddar
> Cheese (Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Sodium Phosphate,
> Silicon Dioxide (Anticaking Agent). *Dried.

Lamest post everrrrrr. Lol
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Cheryl[_3_] 11-10-2017 08:12 AM

Donating to the Food Bank

"Julie Bove" > Wrote in message:

> > wrote in message
>> On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 9:42:15 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>>
>>> Any other suggestions for shelf-stable and/or or canned items to put in
>>> the food bank bin? I thought about canned tomatoes. But if this is
>>> indeed mostly going to feed the local farm workers, they're the ones who
>>> have been picking the tomatoes for months. They're probably sick of
>>> them.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> Don't shoot the messenger but how about donating some boxes of
>> Hamburger Helper or boxes of macaroni and/or spaghetti? These
>> are all shelf stable items.

> But those are not canned and... The people who receive them may not have the
> necessary ingredients to make them. I remember hearing on the radio some
> years ago about a woman who had so little that she didn't even have a pan or
> a stove. They said if you were going to donate to keep that in mind. Most
> anything can be eaten straight from the can. Might be better if chilled or
> heated but...

I don't know about this but do those being recipients have the
option to just not take what they can't use, while others could
make use of something like that? Or do they just get a bag of
stuff and there are things they can't use so they toss it? That
doesn't make sense to me
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

[email protected][_2_] 11-10-2017 08:12 AM

Donating to the Food Bank

On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 12:45:08 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
>
> > On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 9:42:15 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> >>
> >> Any other suggestions for shelf-stable and/or or canned items to put in
> >> the food bank bin?
> >>
> >> Jill
> >>

> > Don't shoot the messenger but how about donating some boxes of
> > Hamburger Helper or boxes of macaroni and/or spaghetti? These
> > are all shelf stable items.

> But those are not canned and...

Learn to read, dummy. Jill's post said they are requesting
***shelf-stable AND/OR canned items.*** About the only people
that will be, if any, eating directly out of the can are going
to be transients aka drifter/hobo/homeless.

Bruce[_28_] 11-10-2017 08:13 AM

Donating to the Food Bank

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 03:08:45 -0400 (EDT), Cheryl
> wrote:

>Bruce > Wrote in message:
>> On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 20:16:46 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

>>>Don't shoot the messenger but how about donating some boxes of
>>>Hamburger Helper or boxes of macaroni and/or spaghetti? These
>>>are all shelf stable items.

>> I wouldn't donate Hamburger Helper. You could end up in jail for
>> trying to poison people. Here are the ingredients of Betty Crocker
>> Hamburger Helper Classic Three Cheese:
>>
>> Enriched Pasta (Wheat Flour, Durum Wheat Flour, Niacin, Ferrous
>> Sulfate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Corn Starch,
>> Maltodextrin, Salt, Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamin
>> Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Monosodium Glutamate, Sugar,
>> Ricotta Cheese* (Whey, Milkfat, Lactic Acid, Salt), Parmesan Cheese*
>> (Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Citric Acid, Blue Cheese*
>> (Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Partially Hydrogenated Soybean
>> Oil, Cultured Nonfat Milk, Monoglycerides, Color (Yellow Lakes 5 & 6,
>> Yellows 5 & 6, Red 40 Lake), Yeast Extract, Whey, Natural Flavor, Blue
>> Cheese* (Milk, Salt, Cheese Cultures, Enzymes), Enzyme Modified Blue
>> Cheese (Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Enzyme Modified Cheddar
>> Cheese (Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Sodium Phosphate,
>> Silicon Dioxide (Anticaking Agent). *Dried.
>>

>Lamest post everrrrrr. Lol

Seriously, if you ever get a really weird zit, ask yourself if you had
Hamburger Helper the day before.

[email protected][_2_] 11-10-2017 08:21 AM

Donating to the Food Bank

On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 2:12:26 AM UTC-5, Cheryl wrote:

> I don't know about this but do those being recipients have the
> option to just not take what they can't use, while others could
> make use of something like that? Or do they just get a bag of
> stuff and there are things they can't use so they toss it? That
> doesn't make sense to me

Here's the boxes are already made up with the items they will receive.
My co-worker's aunt is a deaf-mute and she qualifies for the free
food items. Sometimes it is so much of some things she gives them
to her. She has received 5 or 6 boxes of giant family sized of
Cheerios along with jugs of apple juice and cans and cans of fruit.

Janet 11-10-2017 12:31 PM

Donating to the Food Bank

In article >, says...

> There's going to be a big event/food bank drive on Dataw on 10/29/17.
> It's in conjunction with a golf tournament.
>
> The organizers are going to set out 19 collection bins around the island
> that morning for food donations. One of the bins will be just down the
> street. I'll be donating.
>
> They're asking for *canned* food due to the long shelf-life. Also, the
> collection bins will be sitting outside for hours. No frozen or
> refrigerated food, please. Oh, and the people coming around to pick up
> the donations that afternoon won't have any way to guard against glass
> bottles/jars breaking so they'd rather none of those, either.
>
> I was told along with canned vegetables the emphasis is really on
> protein. Peanut butter (in plastic jars) was suggested. Along with
> canned beans, I'm thinking dried beans.

Dried beans need plenty of cooking, People who are homeless don't have
facilities and poor people often don't cook because of the fuel cost...
so rice spices and dry herbs might not be usable. Best to give stuff
that can be eaten cold from a tin (tuna,salmon, fruit, canned rice) or
just warmed up quickly (baked beans).

Janet UK

Janet 11-10-2017 01:55 PM

Donating to the Food Bank

In article >,
says...

> On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 12:45:08 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > > wrote in message

> > > Don't shoot the messenger but how about donating some boxes of
> > > Hamburger Helper or boxes of macaroni and/or spaghetti? These
> > > are all shelf stable items.

> > But those are not canned and...
> >

> Learn to read, dummy. Jill's post said they are requesting
> ***shelf-stable AND/OR canned items.*** About the only people
> that will be, if any, eating directly out of the can are going
> to be transients aka drifter/hobo/homeless.

Don't you believe it; I've encounterd people who have a home with no
power, heating or light because they can't pay the bill; so the stove is
useless and they can't cook anything.

Janet UK

Gary 11-10-2017 02:14 PM

Donating to the Food Bank

Janet wrote:

> Don't you believe it; I've encounterd people who have a home with no
> power, heating or light because they can't pay the bill; so the stove is
> useless and they can't cook anything.

So you helped them out a bit, right?

Yep, I didn't think so.

Anyone can build a fire outside and cook anything.
Your story was completely made up.

Cheri[_3_] 11-10-2017 02:36 PM

Donating to the Food Bank

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
web.com...

>> I wouldn't donate Hamburger Helper. You could end up in jail for
>> trying to poison people. Here are the ingredients of Betty Crocker
>> Hamburger Helper Classic Three Cheese:

<ingredients snipped>

> Lamest post everrrrrr. Lol

Truly.

Cheri

jmcquown[_2_] 11-10-2017 02:36 PM

Donating to the Food Bank

On 10/11/2017 3:08 AM, Cheryl wrote:
> Bruce > Wrote in message:
>> On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 20:16:46 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

>>> Don't shoot the messenger but how about donating some boxes of
>>> Hamburger Helper or boxes of macaroni and/or spaghetti? These
>>> are all shelf stable items.

>> I wouldn't donate Hamburger Helper. You could end up in jail for
>> trying to poison people. Here are the ingredients of Betty Crocker
>> Hamburger Helper Classic Three Cheese:
>>
>> Enriched Pasta (Wheat Flour, Durum Wheat Flour, Niacin, Ferrous

(snipped)

> Lamest post everrrrrr. Lol

I'm pretty sure hungry people are not worried about the ingredients list.

Jill

jmcquown[_2_] 11-10-2017 03:11 PM

Donating to the Food Bank

On 10/11/2017 9:14 AM, Gary wrote:
> Janet wrote:
>>
>> Don't you believe it; I've encounterd people who have a home with no
>> power, heating or light because they can't pay the bill; so the stove is
>> useless and they can't cook anything.

> So you helped them out a bit, right?
>
> Yep, I didn't think so.
>
> Anyone can build a fire outside and cook anything.
> Your story was completely made up.

Gary, Gary, Gary... do you really think people don't get their power or
water cut off due to lack of payment? One morning my next door neighbor
called asking if there is a water outage. I'd just gotten out of the
shower so no, it's not a broken water main or anything like that. Turns
out she hadn't paid the bill in who knows how long so the company shut
it off. I know what you're going to say... she lives on Dataw and
couldn't pay the water bill? It's true. She's having a hard time. It
can happen to anyone.

Her house has been on the market for years; she recently changed real
estate agents hoping for better results. She's gotten rid of
non-essentials like television service. She stopped paying the Dataw
dues/assessments a couple of years ago and they're about to put a lien
on her home. She's 72 years old and her only source of income is Social
Security. Her daughter and her former DIL (she's not on speaking terms
with her son) help her out when they can but they live in another state.
I took her grocery shopping a few months ago, my treat.

Jill

jmcquown[_2_] 11-10-2017 03:13 PM

Donating to the Food Bank

https://www.ffa.org/SiteCollectionDo...r_mealmath.pdf

> -sw

Good information, thanks!

Jill

MaryL 11-10-2017 03:31 PM

Donating to the Food Bank

On 10/10/2017 9:42 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> Any other suggestions for shelf-stable and/or or canned items to put in
> the food bank bin?Â* I thought about canned tomatoes.Â* But if this is
> indeed mostly going to feed the local farm workers, they're the ones who
> have been picking the tomatoes for months.Â* They're probably sick of them.
>
> Jill

Cans of the much-maligned Spam would be good for this purpose. Also,
thanks for participating!

MaryL

Sqwerts[_12_] 11-10-2017 03:32 PM

Donating to the Food Bank

On 10/10/2017 10:39 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> (we try and put those in a separate tote).

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org...ntation-057jpg

Hide the Ho Ho's!!!

Sqwerts[_12_] 11-10-2017 03:32 PM

Donating to the Food Bank

Sqwerts[_12_] 11-10-2017 03:32 PM

Donating to the Food Bank

Casa lo pensa 11-10-2017 03:39 PM

Donating to the Food Bank

On 10/11/2017 1:13 AM, Bruce wrote:
> if you ever get a really weird zit, ask yourself if you had
> Hamburger Helper the day before.

Wow, you know as little about dermatology as you do anything else!

jinx the minx 11-10-2017 03:51 PM

Donating to the Food Bank

Gary > wrote:
> Janet wrote:
>>
>> Don't you believe it; I've encounterd people who have a home with no
>> power, heating or light because they can't pay the bill; so the stove is
>> useless and they can't cook anything.

> So you helped them out a bit, right?
>
> Yep, I didn't think so.
>
> Anyone can build a fire outside and cook anything.
> Your story was completely made up.

Thats not really practical, either. In many places, you cant just step
outside and build yourself a fire. Plus, what are you going to build it
with if you dont already own any supplies or a container to burn in?
Start a bonfire out of sticks in your apartment parking lot?

--
jinx the minx

Janet 11-10-2017 03:51 PM

Donating to the Food Bank

In article >, says...

> Janet wrote:
> >
> > Don't you believe it; I've encounterd people who have a home with no
> > power, heating or light because they can't pay the bill; so the stove is
> > useless and they can't cook anything.

> So you helped them out a bit, right?

My remit was teaching their children. Childrens' home problems
affect their education and school experience in ways you probably can't
imagine.

> Anyone can build a fire outside and cook anything.

Unless they live in a smokeless zone, an urban high rise, or a wet
climate.

Janet UK

jmcquown[_2_] 11-10-2017 03:59 PM

Donating to the Food Bank

On 10/11/2017 3:07 AM, Cheryl wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > Wrote in message:
>>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Oh, and as I told Julie, DO NOT buy food just to give it to the food
>>> bank. Just donate the money you would have spent directly to the food
>>> bank.
>>>
>>> The food bank buys food from their USDA contractors (food
>>> manufacturers) at about an 80% discount. That box of Tuna Helper you
>>> bought for $1.75, the food bank could have bought 4 boxes for that
>>> same price, and had $.35 left over to help pay for their facilities.

>> You did tell me that. But that being said, I still donate items. I can get
>> items for free. Currently I have people in my own life who are needy. So I
>> give to them. Otherwise I would give to the food bank.
>>

> I love that you take advantage of coupons and free offers to give
> to food banks. I need to remember that when I see the same types
> of offers. Sometimes I'll see a BOGO and give the freebie to my
> neighbor because they struggle too sometimes but I don't always
> think about it f for canned food and other non perishables. But
> if I see a buy one 5lb bag of potatoes and get one free I always
> grab that free one even though I'd never use it myself

I agree, Cheryl. I'd rather take advantage of BOGO's and use coupons
and donate FOOD. As with any charity, if I just give them money I have
no way of knowing where that money actually goes. Besides, for this
food drive they're asking people to drop off *food*, not checks.
They'll have bins placed all over the island on the 29th. So that's
what they'll get. I've already "shopped" in my pantry. I'll be buying
additional items - always mindful of a sale or a BOGO - to round it out.

Jill

jmcquown[_2_] 11-10-2017 04:02 PM

Donating to the Food Bank

On 10/11/2017 10:51 AM, jinx the minx wrote:
> Gary > wrote:
>> Janet wrote:
>>>
>>> Don't you believe it; I've encounterd people who have a home with no
>>> power, heating or light because they can't pay the bill; so the stove is
>>> useless and they can't cook anything.

>> So you helped them out a bit, right?
>>
>> Yep, I didn't think so.
>>
>> Anyone can build a fire outside and cook anything.
>> Your story was completely made up.
>>

> Thats not really practical, either. In many places, you cant just step
> outside and build yourself a fire. Plus, what are you going to build it
> with if you dont already own any supplies or a container to burn in?
> Start a bonfire out of sticks in your apartment parking lot?

Maybe he's thinking of someone living in a clearing in a tent in the
woods... who could dig a small pit and put rocks around it. Gather
kindling and wood. I do hope he has some matches. ;)

Jill

Cheri[_3_] 11-10-2017 04:08 PM

Donating to the Food Bank

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 10/11/2017 9:14 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Janet wrote:
>>>
>>> Don't you believe it; I've encounterd people who have a home with no
>>> power, heating or light because they can't pay the bill; so the stove is
>>> useless and they can't cook anything.

>> So you helped them out a bit, right?
>>
>> Yep, I didn't think so.
>>
>> Anyone can build a fire outside and cook anything.
>> Your story was completely made up.
>>

> Gary, Gary, Gary... do you really think people don't get their power or
> water cut off due to lack of payment? One morning my next door neighbor
> called asking if there is a water outage. I'd just gotten out of the
> shower so no, it's not a broken water main or anything like that. Turns
> out she hadn't paid the bill in who knows how long so the company shut it
> off. I know what you're going to say... she lives on Dataw and couldn't
> pay the water bill? It's true. She's having a hard time. It can happen
> to anyone.
>
> Her house has been on the market for years; she recently changed real
> estate agents hoping for better results. She's gotten rid of
> non-essentials like television service. She stopped paying the Dataw
> dues/assessments a couple of years ago and they're about to put a lien on
> her home. She's 72 years old and her only source of income is Social
> Security. Her daughter and her former DIL (she's not on speaking terms
> with her son) help her out when they can but they live in another state. I
> took her grocery shopping a few months ago, my treat.
>
> Jill

Yes, that's how I like to help out more than sending to organized charities.
Good for you.

Cheri

Cheri[_3_] 11-10-2017 04:09 PM

Donating to the Food Bank

"Casa lo pensa" > wrote in message
> On 10/11/2017 1:13 AM, Bruce wrote:
>> if you ever get a really weird zit, ask yourself if you had
>> Hamburger Helper the day before.

> Wow, you know as little about dermatology as you do anything else!

He might be an expert on zits though. ;-)

Cheri

jmcquown[_2_] 11-10-2017 04:19 PM

Donating to the Food Bank

On 10/11/2017 12:39 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 22:42:04 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>

>> I'm also thinking canned fruit. Not everything is about protein.
>>
>> How about some dried herbs and spices?

> Bottles of spices are good. They are sturdy bottles and help people
> make better use of the other bland foods such as rice and beans.

That's what I was thinking. Sometimes just a pinch of something makes
all the difference. :)

> Canned fruits are always in short supply in public donations, but the
> food bank buys a lot of canned fruit from their USDA suppliers. The
> name brands like Del Monte, Libby's, etc... sell a lot of stuff to the
> USDA for distribution to food banks.

I'll still throw in some canned fruit. And canned diced tomatoes and
tomato sauce. And rice and dried pasta.

>> Any other suggestions for shelf-stable and/or or canned items to put in
>> the food bank bin? I thought about canned tomatoes. But if this is
>> indeed mostly going to feed the local farm workers, they're the ones who
>> have been picking the tomatoes for months. They're probably sick of them.

> Canned tomato products are fine and always useful. This stuff is
> being distributed to all sorts of people, not just migrant workers.

I know the food at the physical food bank isn't limited to the migrant
workers. But there's an extension service way down here. There are a
number of Dataw volunteers who deliver boxes of food to these peoples'
homes on behalf of Second Harvest. I don't know how it works but
sometimes [on the Dataw Net] they ask for a substitute driver to help
drop off boxes of food to needy families.

> You can donate anything. Just because they can't afford food doesn't
> mean they wouldn't like a bar of chocolate, a box of microwave popcorn
> (not individually-wrapped bags!), candy, pop tarts, jellies/jams,
> smoked oysters, sardines, and other foods that may not be deemed
> exactly "healthy". Some extra-ordinary items like that may be just
> the thing someone needs to brighten up an otherwise bleak situation,
> if only for a few hours.
>
> -sw

Very true. With Halloween coming up, maybe I'll throw in some bags of
small candy bars. :)

Thanks for all the input, Steve.

Jill

Casa lo pensa 11-10-2017 04:26 PM

Donating to the Food Bank

On 10/11/2017 9:09 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "Casa lo pensa" > wrote in message
>> On 10/11/2017 1:13 AM, Bruce wrote:
>>> if you ever get a really weird zit, ask yourself if you had
>>> Hamburger Helper the day before.

>> Wow, you know as little about dermatology as you do anything else!

> He might be an expert on zits though. ;-)
>
> Cheri

The lancing of such carbuncles and other epidermal maladies must be
taken seriously after all...

notbob 11-10-2017 04:47 PM

Donating to the Food Bank

On 2017-10-11, MaryL -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

> Cans of the much-maligned Spam would be good for this purpose.

Agree! I usta buy a case of Spam to give to our United Way drive.

Ya' gotta think about where this is food is going. Is it going to a
central kicthen that is capable of preparing the food or directly to
homeless ppls that may or may not have prep facilities.

I got in a huge debate with one local charity cuz they wanted
"prepared" foods only, like canned chili or canned stew. WTF!? Read
rfc!! If I can cook, anyone can. ;)

nb

Ed Pawlowski 11-10-2017 04:57 PM

Donating to the Food Bank

On 10/11/2017 10:11 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> Her house has been on the market for years; she recently changed real
> estate agents hoping for better results.
> Jill

Usually a sign that it is overpriced. What she wants or needs may not
be what anyone is willing to pay.

[email protected] 11-10-2017 05:06 PM

Donating to the Food Bank

I was the director of my town's food pantry for 20 years and canned protein was our most important item. Spam, tuna, salmon, Vienna sausages, chicken, beef stew, chili, etc were always popular. Canned kidney beans, tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, hearty soups went well, too. Everyone took canned fruit, all varieties. Don't forget cake mixes and frosting, everyone enjoys treats, pancake mix and syrup, breakfast cereals, and oatmeal. Bags of sugar, flour, jams and jellies, popcorn, packets of instant gravy, dry soups, Ramen. People loved a variety, imagine getting nothing but tuna and government chicken every month. One time someone donated a case of canned escargot. I gagged just looking at it, but it went fast. We always let people have a choice of what was available.

Don't forget toothpaste, toothbrushes, toilet paper, feminine hygiene items, razors, shave cream, etc.

Denise in NH