Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Donating to the Food Bank

On 10/11/2017 10:06 AM, wrote:
> Don't forget toothpaste, toothbrushes, toilet paper, feminine hygiene items, razors, shave cream, etc.
>
> Denise in NH

Outstanding reminder!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

They can't turn peoples electric or gas off here in the winter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 23:39:10 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:
snip

>Canned tomato products are fine and always useful. This stuff is
>being distributed to all sorts of people, not just migrant workers.
>You can donate anything. Just because they can't afford food doesn't
>mean they wouldn't like a bar of chocolate, a box of microwave popcorn
>(not individually-wrapped bags!), candy, pop tarts, jellies/jams,
>smoked oysters, sardines, and other foods that may not be deemed
>exactly "healthy". Some extra-ordinary items like that may be just
>the thing someone needs to brighten up an otherwise bleak situation,
>if only for a few hours.
>
>-sw

Thank you for posting this. I always try to purchase some items that
will give a break to the recipients. Can you imagine eating peanut
butter, canned tuna and canned chili every day? I think even poor
people need something sweet or something special.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2017 11:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 10/11/2017 10:11 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Her house has been on the market for years; she recently changed real
>> estate agents hoping for better results. Jill

> Usually a sign that it is overpriced.Â* What she wants or needs may not
> be what anyone is willing to pay.

I do think it's overpriced but the market here is depressed anyway.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2017 11:08 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>> company shut it off.* I know what you're going to say... she lives on
>> Dataw and couldn't pay the water bill?* It's true.* She's having a
>> hard time.* It can happen to anyone.
>>
>> I took her grocery shopping a few months ago, my treat.
>>
>> Jill

> Yes, that's how I like to help out more than sending to organized
> charities. Good for you.
>
> Cheri

I'd rather help out that way than hand a charity a check. Too many have
been debunked over the years.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2017 11:11 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Everything will find a place

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org...ntation-057jpg

Hide the Ho Ho's!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2017 11:13 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Gary missed his hormone therapy

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org...ntation-057jpg

Hide the Ho Ho's!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2017 1:03 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 10:59:00 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

>>> I love that you take advantage of coupons and free offers to give
>>> to food banks. I need to remember that when I see the same types
>>> of offers. Sometimes I'll see a BOGO and give the freebie to my
>>> neighbor because they struggle too sometimes but I don't always
>>> think about it f for canned food and other non perishables. But
>>> if I see a buy one 5lb bag of potatoes and get one free I always
>>> grab that free one even though I'd never use it myself
>>>

>> I agree, Cheryl. I'd rather take advantage of BOGO's and use coupons
>> and donate FOOD. As with any charity, if I just give them money I have
>> no way of knowing where that money actually goes.

> OK, so they buy only 2 boxes of Hamburger Helper, and spend the extra
> $1.05 on a "team building" trip to Honolulu. They've still made
> better use of that $1.75.
>
> -sw

Ya think? LOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2017 12:30 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 23:39:10 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
> snip
>>
>> Canned tomato products are fine and always useful. This stuff is
>> being distributed to all sorts of people, not just migrant workers.
>> You can donate anything. Just because they can't afford food doesn't
>> mean they wouldn't like a bar of chocolate, a box of microwave popcorn
>> (not individually-wrapped bags!), candy, pop tarts, jellies/jams,
>> smoked oysters, sardines, and other foods that may not be deemed
>> exactly "healthy". Some extra-ordinary items like that may be just
>> the thing someone needs to brighten up an otherwise bleak situation,
>> if only for a few hours.
>>
>> -sw

> Thank you for posting this. I always try to purchase some items that
> will give a break to the recipients. Can you imagine eating peanut
> butter, canned tuna and canned chili every day? I think even poor
> people need something sweet or something special.
> Janet US

Cookies!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> They can't turn peoples electric or gas off here in the winter.

Sure they can if the winters are mild like in CA.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 06:36:21 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Cheryl" > wrote in message
aweb.com...

>>> I wouldn't donate Hamburger Helper. You could end up in jail for
>>> trying to poison people. Here are the ingredients of Betty Crocker
>>> Hamburger Helper Classic Three Cheese:

><ingredients snipped>
>
>> Lamest post everrrrrr. Lol

>Truly.

How can a post about ingredients be the lamest post ever in a cooking
newsgroup?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 09:14:58 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Janet wrote:
>>
>> Don't you believe it; I've encounterd people who have a home with no
>> power, heating or light because they can't pay the bill; so the stove is
>> useless and they can't cook anything.

>So you helped them out a bit, right?
>
>Yep, I didn't think so.
>
>Anyone can build a fire outside and cook anything.
>Your story was completely made up.

What if you get canned food from a charity, but you can't afford a can
opener?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 09:14:58 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>Janet wrote:
>>>
>>> Don't you believe it; I've encounterd people who have a home with no
>>> power, heating or light because they can't pay the bill; so the stove is
>>> useless and they can't cook anything.

>>So you helped them out a bit, right?
>>
>>Yep, I didn't think so.
>>
>>Anyone can build a fire outside and cook anything.
>>Your story was completely made up.

> What if you get canned food from a charity, but you can't afford a can
> opener?

Then make sure the canned food you choose has a pull top.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2017 12:46 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 06:36:21 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>> web.com...

>> <ingredients snipped>
>>
>>> Lamest post everrrrrr. Lol

>> Truly.

> How can a post about ingredients be the lamest post ever in a cooking
> newsgroup?

a: you made it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2017 12:47 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 09:14:58 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> Janet wrote:
>>>
>>> Don't you believe it; I've encounterd people who have a home with no
>>> power, heating or light because they can't pay the bill; so the stove is
>>> useless and they can't cook anything.

>> So you helped them out a bit, right?
>>
>> Yep, I didn't think so.
>>
>> Anyone can build a fire outside and cook anything.
>> Your story was completely made up.

> What if you get canned food from a charity, but you can't afford a can
> opener?

I'd open the can using yer teeth.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Casa lo pensa > wrote in
news
> On 10/11/2017 12:47 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> What if you get canned food from a charity, but you can't
>> afford a can opener?
>>

> I'd open the can using yer teeth.

You're a real internet tuff guy, casa de **** face.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/4M-CT9TVboo/hqdefault.jpg LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2017 2:28 PM, Cheri wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> They can't turn peoples electric or gas off here in the winter.

> Sure they can if the winters are mild like in CA.
>
> Cheri

Colt's from Pensyltucky.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2017 12:57 PM, Carol Shenkenberger wrote:
> Casa lo pensa > wrote in
> news >
>> On 10/11/2017 12:47 PM, Bruce wrote:
>>> What if you get canned food from a charity, but you can't
>>> afford a can opener?
>>>

>> I'd open the can using yer teeth.
>>

> You're a real internet tuff guy,

Feel free to come try yer mouthy act in person, ****.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2017 3:05 PM, Casa lo pensa wrote:
> On 10/11/2017 12:57 PM, Carol Shenkenberger wrote:
>> Casa lo pensa > wrote in
>> news >>
>>>>
>>> Â*Â* I'd open the can using yer teeth.
>>>

>> You're a real internet tuff guy,

> Feel free to come try yer mouthy act in person, ****.

forged
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Casa lo pensa > wrote in newsrlq2c$1arl$1
@gioia.aioe.org:

> On 10/11/2017 12:57 PM, Carol Shenkenberger wrote:
>> Casa lo pensa > wrote in
>> news >>
>>>>
>>> I'd open the can using yer teeth.
>>>

>> You're a real internet tuff guy,

> Feel free to come try yer mouthy act in person, ****.

Post your address, you sawed off side walk sissy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2017 1:06 PM, Casa lo pensa wrote:
> On 10/11/2017 3:05 PM, Casa lo pensa wrote:
>> On 10/11/2017 12:57 PM, Carol Shenkenberger wrote:
>>> Casa lo pensa > wrote in
>>> news >>>

>>> You're a real internet tuff guy,

>> Feel free to come try yer mouthy act in person, ****.
> >

> forged

yours
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2017 1:07 PM, Carol Shenkenberger wrote:
> Casa lo pensa > wrote in newsrlq2c$1arl$1
> @gioia.aioe.org:
>
>> On 10/11/2017 12:57 PM, Carol Shenkenberger wrote:
>>> Casa lo pensa > wrote in
>>> news >>>

>>> You're a real internet tuff guy,

>> Feel free to come try yer mouthy act in person, ****.
>>

> Post your address, you sawed off side walk sissy.

Meet me he
500 Quantum Road
Rio Rancho, NM 87124

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Casa lo pensa > wrote in newsrlqbo$1arl$3
@gioia.aioe.org:

>>> Feel free to come try yer mouthy act in person, ****.
>>>

>> Post your address, you sawed off side walk sissy.
>>

> Meet me he
> 500 Quantum Road
> Rio Rancho, NM 87124

It figures an internet tuff guy like you would want to get
your ass kicked at the cop shop. LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2017 1:14 PM, Carol Shenkenberger wrote:
> Casa lo pensa > wrote in newsrlqbo$1arl$3
> @gioia.aioe.org:

>>> Post your address, you sawed off side walk sissy.
>>>

>> Meet me he
>> 500 Quantum Road
>> Rio Rancho, NM 87124
>>

> It figures an internet tuff guy like you would want to get
> your ass kicked at the cop shop. LOL

Are you gonna show?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-10-11 2:47 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 09:14:58 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> Janet wrote:
>>>
>>> Don't you believe it; I've encounterd people who have a home with no
>>> power, heating or light because they can't pay the bill; so the stove is
>>> useless and they can't cook anything.

>> So you helped them out a bit, right?
>>
>> Yep, I didn't think so.
>>
>> Anyone can build a fire outside and cook anything.
>> Your story was completely made up.

> What if you get canned food from a charity, but you can't afford a can
> opener?

Try to open it with your bottle opener or a cigarette lighter. I know
there are lots of people who truly need help, but there are also lots
who need to set their priorities.

I have helped out with food drives and I used to help with the food and
hygiene bank at my wife's church. One of their usual customers is one of
our former neighbour's sons. He can afford drugs and booze. Many of them
are puffing away on cigarettes on their way in and out of the food bank.
It seems they can afford the $10 or so that it costs for a package of
cigarettes but they can't afford food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 16:32:59 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-10-11 2:47 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> So you helped them out a bit, right?
>>>
>>> Yep, I didn't think so.
>>>
>>> Anyone can build a fire outside and cook anything.
>>> Your story was completely made up.

>> What if you get canned food from a charity, but you can't afford a can
>> opener?
>>

>Try to open it with your bottle opener or a cigarette lighter. I know
>there are lots of people who truly need help, but there are also lots
>who need to set their priorities.
>
>I have helped out with food drives and I used to help with the food and
>hygiene bank at my wife's church. One of their usual customers is one of
>our former neighbour's sons. He can afford drugs and booze. Many of them
>are puffing away on cigarettes on their way in and out of the food bank.
>It seems they can afford the $10 or so that it costs for a package of
>cigarettes but they can't afford food.

Good point Dave! They shouldn't be allowed anything comforting to
them! I would love to think you might fall on hard times sometime in
the future!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-10-11 4:41 PM, wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 16:32:59 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> What if you get canned food from a charity, but you can't afford a can
>>> opener?
>>>

>> Try to open it with your bottle opener or a cigarette lighter. I know
>> there are lots of people who truly need help, but there are also lots
>> who need to set their priorities.
>>
>> I have helped out with food drives and I used to help with the food and
>> hygiene bank at my wife's church. One of their usual customers is one of
>> our former neighbour's sons. He can afford drugs and booze. Many of them
>> are puffing away on cigarettes on their way in and out of the food bank.
>> It seems they can afford the $10 or so that it costs for a package of
>> cigarettes but they can't afford food.
>>

> Good point Dave! They shouldn't be allowed anything comforting to
> them! I would love to think you might fall on hard times sometime in
> the future!

Do you consider cigarette smoking to be comforting to someone when they
light up next to you in a building? It does make me wonder about the
need to get food at a food bank when they are spending more on
cigarettes than it would cost to by food in a grocery store.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 16:52:06 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-10-11 4:41 PM, wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 16:32:59 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> Try to open it with your bottle opener or a cigarette lighter. I know
>>> there are lots of people who truly need help, but there are also lots
>>> who need to set their priorities.
>>>
>>> I have helped out with food drives and I used to help with the food and
>>> hygiene bank at my wife's church. One of their usual customers is one of
>>> our former neighbour's sons. He can afford drugs and booze. Many of them
>>> are puffing away on cigarettes on their way in and out of the food bank.
>>> It seems they can afford the $10 or so that it costs for a package of
>>> cigarettes but they can't afford food.
>>>

>> Good point Dave! They shouldn't be allowed anything comforting to
>> them! I would love to think you might fall on hard times sometime in
>> the future!

>Do you consider cigarette smoking to be comforting to someone when they
>light up next to you in a building? It does make me wonder about the
>need to get food at a food bank when they are spending more on
>cigarettes than it would cost to by food in a grocery store.

Sometimes when someone has nothing, one thing is all that they have.
It may be cigarettes, drugs or sex or even a dog that trails along
after them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 16:52:06 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-10-11 4:41 PM, wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 16:32:59 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> Try to open it with your bottle opener or a cigarette lighter. I know
>>> there are lots of people who truly need help, but there are also lots
>>> who need to set their priorities.
>>>
>>> I have helped out with food drives and I used to help with the food and
>>> hygiene bank at my wife's church. One of their usual customers is one of
>>> our former neighbour's sons. He can afford drugs and booze. Many of them
>>> are puffing away on cigarettes on their way in and out of the food bank.
>>> It seems they can afford the $10 or so that it costs for a package of
>>> cigarettes but they can't afford food.
>>>

>> Good point Dave! They shouldn't be allowed anything comforting to
>> them! I would love to think you might fall on hard times sometime in
>> the future!

>Do you consider cigarette smoking to be comforting to someone when they
>light up next to you in a building? It does make me wonder about the
>need to get food at a food bank when they are spending more on
>cigarettes than it would cost to by food in a grocery store.

That's addiction for you. Feeding the addiction comes first. When I
was a poor student and a smoker, I could run out of money for
anything, but not for smokes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-10-11 5:00 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 16:52:06 -0400, Dave Smith

>> Do you consider cigarette smoking to be comforting to someone when they
>> light up next to you in a building? It does make me wonder about the
>> need to get food at a food bank when they are spending more on
>> cigarettes than it would cost to by food in a grocery store.

> That's addiction for you. Feeding the addiction comes first. When I
> was a poor student and a smoker, I could run out of money for
> anything, but not for smokes

Maybe it would work better if we just ran cigarette banks instead of
food banks. The smokers could get free cigarettes and that would leave
them with money to buy food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 17:09:21 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-10-11 5:00 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 16:52:06 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> Do you consider cigarette smoking to be comforting to someone when they
>>> light up next to you in a building? It does make me wonder about the
>>> need to get food at a food bank when they are spending more on
>>> cigarettes than it would cost to by food in a grocery store.

>> That's addiction for you. Feeding the addiction comes first. When I
>> was a poor student and a smoker, I could run out of money for
>> anything, but not for smokes

>Maybe it would work better if we just ran cigarette banks instead of
>food banks. The smokers could get free cigarettes and that would leave
>them with money to buy food.

With current tobacco prices this might be a very good idea.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message

> That's addiction for you. Feeding the addiction comes first. When I
> was a poor student and a smoker, I could run out of money for
> anything, but not for smokes

Yep, I seldomly ate lunch when I was in high school due to spending the
lunch money on cigarettes, but that didn't mean I wasn't hungry at
lunchtime.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 10:08:13 -0600, Casa lo pensa >
wrote:

>On 10/11/2017 10:06 AM, wrote:
>> Don't forget toothpaste, toothbrushes, toilet paper, feminine hygiene items, razors, shave cream, etc.
>>
>> Denise in NH

>Outstanding reminder!

Don't forget to donate lots of condoms, will help reduce
that parasite population.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> There's going to be a big event/food bank drive on Dataw on 10/29/17.
> It's in conjunction with a golf tournament.
>
> The organizers are going to set out 19 collection bins around the
> island that morning for food donations. One of the bins will be just
> down the street. I'll be donating.
>
> They're asking for canned food due to the long shelf-life. Also, the
> collection bins will be sitting outside for hours. No frozen or
> refrigerated food, please. Oh, and the people coming around to pick
> up the donations that afternoon won't have any way to guard against
> glass bottles/jars breaking so they'd rather none of those, either.
>
> I was told along with canned vegetables the emphasis is really on
> protein. Peanut butter (in plastic jars) was suggested. Along with
> canned beans, I'm thinking dried beans. Canned broth. Rice is a
> starch but if, as I suspect, many of the recipients will be local
> migrant farm workers, perhaps they might like some rice with those
> beans. More protein: canned chunk chicken, tuna, salmon. Spam.
>
> I'm also thinking canned fruit. Not everything is about protein.
>
> How about some dried herbs and spices?
>
> Any other suggestions for shelf-stable and/or or canned items to put
> in the food bank bin? I thought about canned tomatoes. But if this
> is indeed mostly going to feed the local farm workers, they're the
> ones who have been picking the tomatoes for months. They're probably
> sick of them.
>
> Jill

Actually, come past the crop time, they will like to have the canned
tomatoes come winter so it's still a good option. I agree with the
rice and the dried beans. Best to wrap both well with extra saran wrap
as the packages can be fragile and split.

Things I would add (not all of this as I need money to feed us to but
decent picks):

Cans: Evaporated milk (not sweetened), pumpkin or other pie fillings,
tuna, spam, mackeral, salmon, sardines, La Choy or other 'oriental
cans', Ravioli and other similar.

Non-canned not above: Black pepper, chile powder, gravy packets and
other seasoning packets, pasta, Pasta sauce in a plastic jar (I'm
thinking Ragu is in plastic?), AP flour (wrap like the rice and dry
beans), bagged stuffing.

Anyways, thats what comes top to mind.

Here in Hampton Roads, we have a huge annual 'Mayflower' event.
Basically we fill the foodbanks and soup kitchens up. It's just before
Thanksgiving and has drop off places in 3-4 sites with refrigerated
trucks plus most of the grocery stores have drop boxes.

I always get 4 extra full meals (all the sides, potatoes and such as
well as butter and stuffing). Turkey (frozen), stuffing, gravy packets
(unless Jars are on sale), potatoes (sweet and regular), pie shells,
canned pie fillings, canned veggies, 1lb butter, a roasting aluminium
pan, and such).

2 to the food bank and 2 to freecycle (Yahoo true freecycle). I also
do 2 smaller sets for basically 2 people on freecycle and those
generally are a cornish hen and a ham slice with all the sides as above
(1 stick of real butter).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 14:45:54 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .

>> That's addiction for you. Feeding the addiction comes first. When I
>> was a poor student and a smoker, I could run out of money for
>> anything, but not for smokes

>Yep, I seldomly ate lunch when I was in high school due to spending the
>lunch money on cigarettes, but that didn't mean I wasn't hungry at
>lunchtime.

Yes, first things first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2017 2:52 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-10-11 4:41 PM, wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 16:32:59 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> Try to open it with your bottle opener or a cigarette lighter.Â* I know
>>> there are lots of people who truly need help, but there are also lots
>>> who need to set their priorities.
>>>
>>> I have helped out with food drives and I used to help with the food and
>>> hygiene bank at my wife's church. One of their usual customers is one of
>>> our former neighbour's sons. He can afford drugs and booze. Many of them
>>> are puffing away on cigarettes on their way in and out of the food bank.
>>> It seems they can afford the $10 or so that it costs for a package of
>>> cigarettes but they can't afford food.
>>>

>> Good point Dave!Â* They shouldn't be allowed anything comforting to
>> them!Â* I would love to think you might fall on hard times sometime in
>> the future!

> Do you consider cigarette smoking to be comforting to someone when they
> light up next to you in a building? It does make me wonder about the
> need to get food at a food bank when they are spending more on
> cigarettes than it would cost to by food in a grocery store.

Better check them for aspirin too, no pain whiners allowed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Julie Bove" > Wrote in message:

> already >>> got canned tuna on my list... no reason not to get Tuna
> Helper! Is >>> there a [canned] Chicken Helper? If not there should
> be.
> > >
> >> Oh, and as I told Julie, DO NOT buy food just to give it to the

> food >> bank. Just donate the money you would have spent directly to
> the food >> bank.
> > >
> >> The food bank buys food from their USDA contractors (food
> >> manufacturers) at about an 80% discount. That box of Tuna Helper

> you >> bought for $1.75, the food bank could have bought 4 boxes for
> that >> same price, and had $.35 left over to help pay for their
> facilities.
> >
> > You did tell me that. But that being said, I still donate items. I
> > can get items for free. Currently I have people in my own life who
> > are needy. So I give to them. Otherwise I would give to the food
> > bank.
> >

> I love that you take advantage of coupons and free offers to give
> to food banks. I need to remember that when I see the same types
> of offers. Sometimes I'll see a BOGO and give the freebie to my
> neighbor because they struggle too sometimes but I don't always
> think about it f for canned food and other non perishables. But
> if I see a buy one 5lb bag of potatoes and get one free I always
> grab that free one even though I'd never use it myself

THat's kinda how we do it on freecycle here. While some places charge
1/2 price for 'BOGO' not all do.

Anyone else donating food to the occupiers? Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 148 14-10-2011 12:58 AM
Food Bank Omelet[_7_] General Cooking 60 01-10-2008 08:05 PM
Food Bank! jmcquown General Cooking 14 26-10-2006 08:40 PM
Food Event -- Foothill Unity Center, Inc. & L A Regional Food Bank Harriet Neal General Cooking 0 06-04-2006 05:32 AM
Food Bank! jmcquown General Cooking 32 13-05-2005 10:27 PM