Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Keys (WAS: The generational battle of butter vs. margarine)

On 6/21/2014 12:58 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 11:16:02 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> There is a waaaaay upscale gated community just opposite where I live.
>> (IIRC, minimum five-acre lots, mostly water-front.) All the mailboxes
>> are outside the gate by the main entrance. And no, they aren't very
>> big. What a PITA that must be! Driving to get your

> If it's a gated community, they probably leave packages with the
> person at the gate and people pick up their mail when they are out and
> about in the car or on their daily walk.

The keyed mailboxes are *outside* the gate. I'm talking iron gates;
probably there is a call-box. Where I live where you can drive up and
talk to a guard. That doesn't mean they'll let you on the island. LOL

I don't know the rules at the other place. I do know it appears like a
big hassel just to get your every day mail.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 6/21/2014 12:36 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Uh, yeah. Except (according to Julie) they bought that house 10 years
>>> ago
>>> and by all accounts it wasn't new construction. They haven't shifted to
>>> existing houses yet, so I still don't get the need a mailbox key at her
>>> house. Then again, she doesn't explain things very well.

>> Or you are not willing to understand that many do not work the same way
>> as yours.
>>

> Of course I understand that. You yourself said you've encountered locking
> mailboxes when you lived in other countries. I've lived where I had a
> locking mailbox. It's not an unfamiliar concept except I've never run
> into it except apartments/condos.

Well, from what we see from others, your experience is not 'all there is'

> She said, "They can't make a copy of the mail box key. We did get two.
> Husband lost his..." Why can't they get a copy of the key made? The post
> office can surely replace it. *Someone* is unlocking that mailbox when
> they deliver the mail. That same someone (the USPS) should be able to
> provide a replacement key or two.

No mailman every had a key to unlock mine! They just shove it through the
slot!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/21/2014 6:45 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> Thanks Mr D. That says it all about keys in mailboxes

Mostly, I'm concerned with the cost of things. I don't have much of an
opinion of how one should handle the trek to your mailbox or shooting
and eating animals or how to get more stuff in your pants or dears or
deers or any number of the things that are the stuff of discussion here.
I like to keep it simple and numbers certainly qualify. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

I just walk across the street at the end of my driveway. The (standard
size) mailbox is right there.

http://i58.tinypic.com/wmezb7.jpg

If I get a package that won't fit in the mailbox they leave it on the
post between the two mailboxes. Too big for that? The mail-person will
leave it by my front door.

Jill

~~~~~~~~
My setup is similar except that my mailbox is wider than the standard type
you showed in the photo. I just walk to the end of my sidewalk to get mail,
and I bought a wider box because I found it difficult to dig packages out
when postal delivery would "shove" it (especially books) into the standard
box. I live in town, but most of the subdivisions use rural-type boxes
where a postal truck just drives up and puts mail in the box. A few
subdivisions have banks of locking mailboxes, and some people even rent
boxes at the post office if they don't want to have home delivery.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:

>> > You beat me to this question, Jill. I've never EVER heard of a key for
>> > a mailbox at a private home. Only Julie can claim such a thing.

>> No, she isn't I've had that!

> heheh Fess up time , Ophy. You're Julie's guardian angel sent down
> to earth to protect her, right? :-D
>
> Don't worry about me. I like her too and she knows that.

Hell no! But if I see something ain't right I will say so.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm going to regret asking... you live in a house yet you have to have a
> >> key for the mailbox? The only time I've ever seen that was in (some)
> >> apartment complexes. They'd have banks of mailboxes for each set of
> >> apartments in each building. Why would you need a key to the mailbox
> >> when you live in a house?

> > You beat me to this question, Jill. I've never EVER heard of a key for
> > a mailbox at a private home. Only Julie can claim such a thing.

> No, she isn't I've had that!

heheh Fess up time , Ophy. You're Julie's guardian angel sent down
to earth to protect her, right? :-D

Don't worry about me. I like her too and she knows that.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 6/21/2014 6:45 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> Thanks Mr D. That says it all about keys in mailboxes
>>

> Mostly, I'm concerned with the cost of things. I don't have much of an
> opinion of how one should handle the trek to your mailbox or shooting and
> eating animals or how to get more stuff in your pants or dears or deers or
> any number of the things that are the stuff of discussion here. I like to
> keep it simple and numbers certainly qualify. :-)

Farynuff
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On 6/20/2014 10:51 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> >

> > Then you have to call a locksmith and have a new lock put in. That's
> > what we had to do when we bought this house. The former owner didn't
> > leave us the keys and we didn't know to ask. Husband was able to get
> > the lock out but they don't sell any locks that we could buy to put in
> > there. The locksmith says that by law only they can put them in. And
> > they can only give us two keys. You also have to prove that you are the
> > mailbox owner.
> >
> > If you lose the chipped car key, it costs something like $90 to get a
> > new one of those. I don't remember what the mailbox cost. That was
> > almost 10 years ago.

> I think it cost us $50 for two replacement keys for our mailbox in the
> condo. I suspect that the mailman does the lock replacement himself
> since it's probably a pretty simple operation.

This is a Twilight Zone thread. I have a locked mailbox in the hallway
of my apartment building. I was given 2 keys when I moved in and was
given 2 new keys a few years ago when they downgraded the boxes to
even smaller.

They are small keys and not standard (like car keys or door keys) but
the local hardware store had the blanks and made me 2 more backup keys
for $1.00 each.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 16:12:28 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

> We may see even more cluster boxes for subdivisions. USPS recently created
> a stir by announcing new requirements for delivery to cluster boxes instead
> of door-to-door.
> "Under a cost-saving plan by the U.S. Postal Service, Americans moving into
> newly built homes will not have mail delivered to their doors and will
> instead have to trek to the curb or neighborhood cluster boxes.
> The Postal Service began the change in April, and Congress is considering an
> even bolder shift that would also affect existing houses. It's unclear if
> delivery to the door will eventually be eliminated entirely."
> http://news.msn.com/us/usps-may-end-...-for-new-homes

Here's why it was happening. http://www.cnbc.com/id/45018432
Since they failed to drive the USPS out of business in favor of their
pals in the private sector, the pre-funding requirement is now a
nest-egg to rob as soon as they manage to start another unfunded war.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 12:27:42 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> Uh, yeah. Except (according to Julie) they bought that house 10 years
> ago and by all accounts it wasn't new construction. They haven't
> shifted to existing houses yet, so I still don't get the need a mailbox
> key at her house. Then again, she doesn't explain things very well.

That sort of thing has been happening on the West Coast for at least
25 years.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 12:50:53 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> She said, "They can't make a copy of the mail box key. We did get two.
> Husband lost his..." Why can't they get a copy of the key made? The
> post office can surely replace it. *Someone* is unlocking that mailbox
> when they deliver the mail. That same someone (the USPS) should be able
> to provide a replacement key or two.

Why should they be free? She should be able to duplicate the keys
just about anywhere keys are duplicated and all she needs to do is pay
for the new keys.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 12:10:59 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

> >> Yeah - you and Jill are both regretting it...
> >>

> > I still don't understand it.

> I do. It makes perfect sense to me.
>
> -sw

You've become a lemming, Steve.

In reality, the USPO is hurting due to online payments and emails.
Makes sense for them to try that as a cost cutting thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On 6/21/2014 6:45 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> >

> > Thanks Mr D. That says it all about keys in mailboxes
> >

> Mostly, I'm concerned with the cost of things. I don't have much of an
> opinion of how one should handle the trek to your mailbox or shooting
> and eating animals or how to get more stuff in your pants or dears or
> deers or any number of the things that are the stuff of discussion here.
> I like to keep it simple and numbers certainly qualify. :-)

LOL, funny man. Go surfing and pay no attention to all the nonsense
posted here. :-D

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Here's why it was happening. http://www.cnbc.com/id/45018432
> Since they failed to drive the USPS out of business in favor of their
> pals in the private sector,

More of your extreme liberal nonsense. You should really educate
yourself more. Thankfully, you're not educating little kiddies any
longer. Whew!

The USPS is fighting a losing battle due to email and internet
alternatives for cards, letters, and bill paying, not conservatives
trying to set up "their pals" in the private sector. Didn't your hero,
Al Gore, claim to have invented the internet?

Do you really believe all the 'liberal' things you say? I just can't
imagine someone being so narrow minded. You need to listen to all
sides and make your own decisions about what is right or not...not
just spout the hardcore liberal view constantly. They do put out a
handbook, right? Everything you say, I've heard many times before.
It's weird to me. You hardcore liberals are like a brain-washed
society to me....lemmings ready to run off the cliff.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 13:12:55 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 6/21/2014 12:58 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 11:16:02 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> There is a waaaaay upscale gated community just opposite where I live.
> >> (IIRC, minimum five-acre lots, mostly water-front.) All the mailboxes
> >> are outside the gate by the main entrance. And no, they aren't very
> >> big. What a PITA that must be! Driving to get your

> > If it's a gated community, they probably leave packages with the
> > person at the gate and people pick up their mail when they are out and
> > about in the car or on their daily walk.
> >

> The keyed mailboxes are *outside* the gate.

I know.

> I'm talking iron gates;
> probably there is a call-box. Where I live where you can drive up and
> talk to a guard. That doesn't mean they'll let you on the island. LOL

That's why I said packages would be left with the guard at the gate.
No reason for the delivery people to waste any time driving around and
area that might not even be properly mapped on their GPS when
accepting packages is part of the guard's job.

> I don't know the rules at the other place. I do know it appears like a
> big hassel just to get your every day mail.

It didn't seem like a big deal to me.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 13:41:11 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
> > Sqwertz wrote:

> >> I do. It makes perfect sense to me.

> > You've become a lemming, Steve.

> Huh?
>

> > In reality, the USPO is hurting due to online payments and emails.
> > Makes sense for them to try that as a cost cutting thing.

> Yet in reality, they've been constructing neighborhood mailboxes like
> this since before email was in use by more than 2% of the population.
>
> -sw

Just going by my area. All private home neighborhoods have the
individual mailboxes that we all know. In this area, only apartments
and condos have the box at the end of the street for all that you need
a key to get into. Mine is in the common hallway of my building...4
apartments and 4 locked mailboxes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 15:15:49 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > Here's why it was happening. http://www.cnbc.com/id/45018432
> > Since they failed to drive the USPS out of business in favor of their
> > pals in the private sector,

> More of your extreme liberal nonsense. You should really educate
> yourself more.

Honestly Gary, sometimes you're dumber than a bag of hammers.

> Thankfully, you're not educating little kiddies any
> longer. Whew!

I am too.

> The USPS is fighting a losing battle due to email and internet
> alternatives for cards, letters, and bill paying, not conservatives
> trying to set up "their pals" in the private sector.

They rolled with the punches and survived. Prefunding pensions was
what nearly did it in, but of course you can't be bothered to
recognize that even when it's right in front of your face.

> Didn't your hero,
> Al Gore, claim to have invented the internet?

No, he didn't make that claim. What he did was push forward
legislation make the internet as we know it now possible. Look it up
yourself.

> Do you really believe all the 'liberal' things you say? I just can't
> imagine someone being so narrow minded. You need to listen to all
> sides and make your own decisions about what is right or not...not
> just spout the hardcore liberal view constantly. They do put out a
> handbook, right? Everything you say, I've heard many times before.
> It's weird to me. You hardcore liberals are like a brain-washed
> society to me....lemmings ready to run off the cliff.

Wow, talk about biased and uneducated thinking. Thank the Koch
Brothers for that.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 10:00:43 -0500, "MaryL"
> wrote:
>
>On 6/20/2014 9:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> news
>>> On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 15:11:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> That's ridiculous. Have copies made.
>>>

>> They can't make a copy of the mail box key. We did get two. Husband
>> lost his and also my old van key.

>There are some subdivisions where I see banks of locked mailboxes on a
>corner. People walk or drive to the boxes. I have sometimes wondered how
>often they have to then drive to a post office for packages because the
>boxes don't look very large. This is also one of the changes that have been
>proposed to save money for the Postal Service--replace mounted on houses on
>in doors with banks of locking boxes.
>
>MaryL

Even living in a house I've always had a PO Box.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/21/2014 9:54 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 6/20/2014 9:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> news
>>> On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 15:11:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> That's ridiculous. Have copies made.
>>>

>> They can't make a copy of the mail box key. We did get two. Husband
>> lost his and also my old van key.

> I'm going to regret asking... you live in a house yet you have to have a
> key for the mailbox? The only time I've ever seen that was in (some)
> apartment complexes. They'd have banks of mailboxes for each set of
> apartments in each building. Why would you need a key to the mailbox
> when you live in a house?
>
> Jill

Mobile home parks and some gated communities have communal mail boxes.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 15:15:49 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> > sf wrote:
> > >
> > > Here's why it was happening. http://www.cnbc.com/id/45018432
> > > Since they failed to drive the USPS out of business in favor of their
> > > pals in the private sector,

> > More of your extreme liberal nonsense. You should really educate
> > yourself more.

> Honestly Gary, sometimes you're dumber than a bag of hammers.
>
> > Thankfully, you're not educating little kiddies any
> > longer. Whew!

> I am too.
> >
> > The USPS is fighting a losing battle due to email and internet
> > alternatives for cards, letters, and bill paying, not conservatives
> > trying to set up "their pals" in the private sector.

> They rolled with the punches and survived. Prefunding pensions was
> what nearly did it in, but of course you can't be bothered to
> recognize that even when it's right in front of your face.
>
> > Didn't your hero,
> > Al Gore, claim to have invented the internet?

> No, he didn't make that claim. What he did was push forward
> legislation make the internet as we know it now possible. Look it up
> yourself.
> >
> > Do you really believe all the 'liberal' things you say? I just can't
> > imagine someone being so narrow minded. You need to listen to all
> > sides and make your own decisions about what is right or not...not
> > just spout the hardcore liberal view constantly. They do put out a
> > handbook, right? Everything you say, I've heard many times before.
> > It's weird to me. You hardcore liberals are like a brain-washed
> > society to me....lemmings ready to run off the cliff.
> >

> Wow, talk about biased and uneducated thinking. Thank the Koch
> Brothers for that.

LMAO. The Koch Brothers? I didn't crop anything above because I
think you just made (and proved) my case. You managed name-calling
and no valid response. The only thing left was to killfile me like
Marty did years ago when he couldn't accept my arguments. He didn't
want a discussion, he just called me names and dropped out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> sf wrote:

>> > More of your extreme liberal nonsense. You should really educate
>> > yourself more.

>> Honestly Gary, sometimes you're dumber than a bag of hammers.
>>
>> > Thankfully, you're not educating little kiddies any
>> > longer. Whew!

>> I am too.
>> >
>> > The USPS is fighting a losing battle due to email and internet
>> > alternatives for cards, letters, and bill paying, not conservatives
>> > trying to set up "their pals" in the private sector.

>> They rolled with the punches and survived. Prefunding pensions was
>> what nearly did it in, but of course you can't be bothered to
>> recognize that even when it's right in front of your face.
>>
>> > Didn't your hero,
>> > Al Gore, claim to have invented the internet?

>> No, he didn't make that claim. What he did was push forward
>> legislation make the internet as we know it now possible. Look it up
>> yourself.
>> >
>> > Do you really believe all the 'liberal' things you say? I just can't
>> > imagine someone being so narrow minded. You need to listen to all
>> > sides and make your own decisions about what is right or not...not
>> > just spout the hardcore liberal view constantly. They do put out a
>> > handbook, right? Everything you say, I've heard many times before.
>> > It's weird to me. You hardcore liberals are like a brain-washed
>> > society to me....lemmings ready to run off the cliff.
>> >

>> Wow, talk about biased and uneducated thinking. Thank the Koch
>> Brothers for that.

> LMAO. The Koch Brothers? I didn't crop anything above because I
> think you just made (and proved) my case. You managed name-calling
> and no valid response. The only thing left was to killfile me like
> Marty did years ago when he couldn't accept my arguments. He didn't
> want a discussion, he just called me names and dropped out.

That's what happens when you bring politics into a food group. Try
alt.politics LOL

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Where the heck do you live, anyway? Any handyman or hubby can put a lock on a door. Even I can do it.
Do you have an HOA that dictates locksmith only? I daresay in most parts of the US, it isn't against the
law for anyone to put a lock on a door.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/21/2014 12:11 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm going to regret asking... you live in a house yet you have to have a
>>> key for the mailbox? The only time I've ever seen that was in (some)
>>> apartment complexes. They'd have banks of mailboxes for each set of
>>> apartments in each building. Why would you need a key to the mailbox
>>> when you live in a house?

>> You beat me to this question, Jill. I've never EVER heard of a key for
>> a mailbox at a private home. Only Julie can claim such a thing.

> No, she isn't I've had that!

My mailbox in Scotland, and mailbox in NJ, both have keys. Both are
private homes, not condos, nor in gated estates
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 16:28:18 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:

> > > More of your extreme liberal nonsense. You should really educate
> > > yourself more.

> > Honestly Gary, sometimes you're dumber than a bag of hammers.
> >
> > > Thankfully, you're not educating little kiddies any
> > > longer. Whew!

> > I am thankful too.
> > >
> > > The USPS is fighting a losing battle due to email and internet
> > > alternatives for cards, letters, and bill paying, not conservatives
> > > trying to set up "their pals" in the private sector.

> > They rolled with the punches and survived. Prefunding pensions was
> > what nearly did it in, but of course you can't be bothered to
> > recognize that even when it's right in front of your face.
> >
> > > Didn't your hero,
> > > Al Gore, claim to have invented the internet?

> > No, he didn't make that claim. What he did was push forward
> > legislation make the internet as we know it now possible. Look it up
> > yourself.
> > >
> > > Do you really believe all the 'liberal' things you say? I just can't
> > > imagine someone being so narrow minded. You need to listen to all
> > > sides and make your own decisions about what is right or not...not
> > > just spout the hardcore liberal view constantly. They do put out a
> > > handbook, right? Everything you say, I've heard many times before.
> > > It's weird to me. You hardcore liberals are like a brain-washed
> > > society to me....lemmings ready to run off the cliff.
> > >

> > Wow, talk about biased and uneducated thinking. Thank the Koch
> > Brothers for that.

> LMAO. The Koch Brothers?

You don't even know who they are, do you.

> I didn't crop anything above because I
> think you just made (and proved) my case.

Proving you have absolutely no idea how much your thinking is
manipulated by them.

> You managed name-calling and no valid response.

I responded. You chose to ignore. I can't help it if you're on dial
up and can't be bothered to fact check before you spew your nonsense.

> The only thing left was to killfile me

Is that some badge of honor?

> like
> Marty did years ago when he couldn't accept my arguments. He didn't
> want a discussion, he just called me names and dropped out.

Maybe you think you've been here a long time, but you're new.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/21/2014 8:41 AM, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> On 6/21/2014 6:45 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>>

>>> Thanks Mr D. That says it all about keys in mailboxes
>>>

>> Mostly, I'm concerned with the cost of things. I don't have much of an
>> opinion of how one should handle the trek to your mailbox or shooting
>> and eating animals or how to get more stuff in your pants or dears or
>> deers or any number of the things that are the stuff of discussion here.
>> I like to keep it simple and numbers certainly qualify. :-)

> LOL, funny man. Go surfing and pay no attention to all the nonsense
> posted here. :-D
>
> G.

I'm looking to live an uncomplicated life. Numbers are simple. Just my
style. Humans are way too complicated - I won't talk about other humans. (-:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 18:21:19 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 15:11:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I am not the
>>> only one who uses my keys. I need to keep them where we all can use
>>> them.

>> That's ridiculous. Have copies made.
>>

>They can't make a copy of the mail box key.

ROTFL.

>I'm not paying a locksmith to redo that lock.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 01:51:26 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 18:21:19 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> news >>> > On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 15:11:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> They can't make a copy of the mail box key. We did get two. Husband
>>> lost
>>> his and also my old van key. I'm not paying a locksmith to redo that
>>> lock.
>>> Which is what we'd have to do to get two more keys. Angela has house
>>> keys
>>> and there is another car key but it is only a key and doesn't have all
>>> the
>>> fancy stuff on there. So we share the car and mailbox keys.

>> What happens if one of the loses your keys?

>Then you have to call a locksmith and have a new lock put in. That's what
>we had to do when we bought this house. The former owner didn't leave us
>the keys and we didn't know to ask. Husband was able to get the lock out
>but they don't sell any locks that we could buy to put in there. The
>locksmith says that by law only they can put them in. And they can only
>give us two keys. You also have to prove that you are the mailbox owner.

Why don't you move from Boveworld to planet Earth?
You won't have all these problems there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeßus wrote:
>Julie Bove wrote:
>>sf wrote:

>>> I need to keep them where we all can use them.
>>>
>>> That's ridiculous. Have copies made.

>>They can't make a copy of the mail box key.

>ROTFL.
>
>>I'm not paying a locksmith to redo that lock.

It's a Federal crime to copy a mailbox key... mine is stamped "Do Not
Duplicate". If you lose your mailbox key a locksmith has to re-key
the lock and issue new keys... costs $15... not very expensive. PO
Boxes are re-keyed each time they are reissued.
http://www.poboxcost.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/21/2014 3:29 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 13:12:55 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> I'm talking iron gates;
>> probably there is a call-box. Where I live where you can drive up and
>> talk to a guard. That doesn't mean they'll let you on the island. LOL

> That's why I said packages would be left with the guard at the gate.
> No reason for the delivery people to waste any time driving around and
> area that might not even be properly mapped on their GPS when
> accepting packages is part of the guard's job.

I wasn't clear. The guard isn't AT the gate. That much I do know.

>> I don't know the rules at the other place. I do know it appears like a
>> big hassel just to get your every day mail.
>>

> It didn't seem like a big deal to me.

Maybe you'd like driving a couple or three miles from your house to pick
up your mail. I sure wouldn't. <shrug>

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/21/2014 4:33 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> Where the heck do you live, anyway? Any handyman or hubby can put a lock on a door. Even I can do it.
> Do you have an HOA that dictates locksmith only? I daresay in most parts of the US, it isn't against the
> law for anyone to put a lock on a door.
>
> N.

I've changed out keyed and deadbolt locks more than once. Even my silly
HOA doesn't require a locksmith for that.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/21/2014 6:26 PM, Jeßus wrote:

>>> That's ridiculous. Have copies made.
>>>

>> They can't make a copy of the mail box key.

> ROTFL.
>
>> I'm not paying a locksmith to redo that lock.

If the key is a USPS key, she is correct. They cannot be duplicated
legally.

You could not get a duplicate key for my company either. I could as
could one other person, but you have to be authorized
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/20/2014 5:13 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> I could not do without a huge purse. I have to pack two kinds of
> insulin, my blood sugar meter, extra food, my wallet, GPS, phone, paper
> and pen, lotions and OTC meds, usually a book, and some other things.

Too bad you can't be an audience member on Let's Make A Deal. To be
safe, though, you should probably throw in a paperclip or two.

--
DreadfulBitch

I'm a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I'm perfect.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 6/20/2014 10:51 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>> Then you have to call a locksmith and have a new lock put in. That's
>> what we had to do when we bought this house. The former owner didn't
>> leave us the keys and we didn't know to ask. Husband was able to get
>> the lock out but they don't sell any locks that we could buy to put in
>> there. The locksmith says that by law only they can put them in. And
>> they can only give us two keys. You also have to prove that you are the
>> mailbox owner.
>>
>> If you lose the chipped car key, it costs something like $90 to get a
>> new one of those. I don't remember what the mailbox cost. That was
>> almost 10 years ago.

> I think it cost us $50 for two replacement keys for our mailbox in the
> condo. I suspect that the mailman does the lock replacement himself since
> it's probably a pretty simple operation.
>
> It probably cost more these days to get a chipped key from the dealer. You
> might be able to get one from your hardware store. The transponder key for
> my Ford costs $70 at the store down our street. That's a lot better than
> $120 to $140 from the dealer.
>
> A better deal would be to get the keys from eBay if your car allows it. It
> costs $13 for two uncut chipped keys. You have to cut the keys at a
> hardware store and program them yourself which, depending on the car you
> have, may involve having at least one working master key. You can also get
> programmable key fob remotes. My Ford fob costs $8 for a pair. Amazing and
> they work fine. Thanks, eBay.

I couldn't get a chipped key from the dealer. Not an extra one anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> On 6/20/2014 10:51 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> >

>> > Then you have to call a locksmith and have a new lock put in. That's
>> > what we had to do when we bought this house. The former owner didn't
>> > leave us the keys and we didn't know to ask. Husband was able to get
>> > the lock out but they don't sell any locks that we could buy to put in
>> > there. The locksmith says that by law only they can put them in. And
>> > they can only give us two keys. You also have to prove that you are
>> > the
>> > mailbox owner.
>> >
>> > If you lose the chipped car key, it costs something like $90 to get a
>> > new one of those. I don't remember what the mailbox cost. That was
>> > almost 10 years ago.

>> I think it cost us $50 for two replacement keys for our mailbox in the
>> condo. I suspect that the mailman does the lock replacement himself
>> since it's probably a pretty simple operation.

> This is a Twilight Zone thread. I have a locked mailbox in the hallway
> of my apartment building. I was given 2 keys when I moved in and was
> given 2 new keys a few years ago when they downgraded the boxes to
> even smaller.
>
> They are small keys and not standard (like car keys or door keys) but
> the local hardware store had the blanks and made me 2 more backup keys
> for $1.00 each.

Might be a state thing but here they can not make new mailbox keys. When I
had an apartment I had only one key. I tried to get another made for the
person who was cat sitting for me. They wouldn't make it. They also
wouldn't make one recently at Home Depot. Said they can not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 21:20:26 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 6/21/2014 3:29 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 13:12:55 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I'm talking iron gates;
> >> probably there is a call-box. Where I live where you can drive up and
> >> talk to a guard. That doesn't mean they'll let you on the island. LOL

> > That's why I said packages would be left with the guard at the gate.
> > No reason for the delivery people to waste any time driving around and
> > area that might not even be properly mapped on their GPS when
> > accepting packages is part of the guard's job.

> I wasn't clear. The guard isn't AT the gate. That much I do know.
>
> >> I don't know the rules at the other place. I do know it appears like a
> >> big hassel just to get your every day mail.
> >>

> > It didn't seem like a big deal to me.
> >

> Maybe you'd like driving a couple or three miles from your house to pick
> up your mail. I sure wouldn't. <shrug>

I don't see what the BFD is. Bills are paid online so it's not
mandatory to pick up mail every day. They pick up the mail when they
go outside the gate to shop or visit. So junk mail builds up in the
box. So what.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> Where the heck do you live, anyway? Any handyman or hubby can put a lock
> on a door. Even I can do it.
> Do you have an HOA that dictates locksmith only? I daresay in most parts
> of the US, it isn't against the
> law for anyone to put a lock on a door.

The Post Office is who dictates the keys. Perhaps it is different in
different states but here a homeowner can not buy a mailbox key. We don't
have HOA here.

A door and a mailbox are not the same thing. Even if you went out and
bought a mailbox, it wouldn't belong to you if you were using it for mail.
Belongs to the post office.

The postman refused to deliver any more mail to me with the unlocked box
because of our high crime rate here. He told me that I needed to call the
locksmith. And the locksmith confirmed that while you can buy locks that
look similar, they won't work with a mailbox.

The box that we have is a small one. There are several small ones all in
one unit. The mailman's key opens a big door on the back to access all of
those. If we get a package that is too big to fit in our individual box,
then it goes into one of two larger boxes. The mailman will put the key to
that box in our little box. The key is retained in the lock. Not sure how
the mailman gets them out but he does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 6/21/2014 4:33 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
>> Where the heck do you live, anyway? Any handyman or hubby can put a lock
>> on a door. Even I can do it.
>> Do you have an HOA that dictates locksmith only? I daresay in most parts
>> of the US, it isn't against the
>> law for anyone to put a lock on a door.
>>
>> N.
>>

> I've changed out keyed and deadbolt locks more than once. Even my silly
> HOA doesn't require a locksmith for that.

We're not talking about a door lock. This is a mailbox lock.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 21:13:37 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 18:21:19 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>>

>>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> news >>> > On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 15:11:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> They can't make a copy of the mail box key. We did get two. Husband
>>> lost
>>> his and also my old van key. I'm not paying a locksmith to redo that
>>> lock.
>>> Which is what we'd have to do to get two more keys.

> The lost PO Box key will eventually need to be paid for and it'll cost
> more sooner than later. A lost vehical key can easily be replaced for
> a nominal cost. I don't understand how someone can lose just one
> key... normal brained people keep a number of keys all together on a
> sturdy key ring... I can understand that somehow the entire ring of
> keys can be lost but not just one key. I have ten keys all on one
> ring, including a few brightly colored charms making them even easier
> to spot if dropped.

He didn't lose one key. He lost the whole ring. He was not living here at
the time and put the keys that he did need on another ring. No telling
where he lost them or even what state he was in at the time. And this isn't
a PO box key. It's a mailbox key for out own mailbox.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 6/20/2014 9:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> news
>>> On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 15:11:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> That's ridiculous. Have copies made.
>>>

>> They can't make a copy of the mail box key. We did get two. Husband
>> lost his and also my old van key.

> I'm going to regret asking... you live in a house yet you have to have a
> key for the mailbox? The only time I've ever seen that was in (some)
> apartment complexes. They'd have banks of mailboxes for each set of
> apartments in each building. Why would you need a key to the mailbox when
> you live in a house?

I guess you don't get out much then. Or you've never lived in a high crime
area. All of the military housing we lived in except for Cape Cod had
locking mailboxes. Our Cape Cod house had one on the outside of the house
next to the door! I couldn't believe that.

What we have is something along the lines of these:

http://www.lockingmailboxstore.com/i...&parent=4&pg=1

Not exactly the same as ours is older. Most houses here have this type as
well as most businesses.

I do see that they also sell individual locking mailboxes. I have no clue
how those work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MaryL" > wrote in message

> There are some subdivisions where I see banks of locked mailboxes on a
> corner. People walk or drive to the boxes. I have sometimes wondered how
> often they have to then drive to a post office for packages because the
> boxes don't look very large. This is also one of the changes that have
> been proposed to save money for the Postal Service--replace mounted on
> houses on in doors with banks of locking boxes.

There should be a larger portion in there for packages like ours has. It it
is a huge package or I have too many to fit, they'll bring them to my door.
I only have to go to the post office if something requires a signature and I
don't answer the door when they ring.

Difference between Butter and Margarine nfw General Cooking 24 16-06-2010 07:09 PM
So...why use margarine instead of butter? Michel Boucher[_3_] General Cooking 31 13-11-2008 05:05 AM
Butter/Margarine Paul Giverin Baking 3 03-01-2006 09:40 PM
Butter Vs. Margarine Opinicus Historic 18 10-11-2004 09:31 PM
margarine/butter question TND2075 General Cooking 5 05-11-2003 07:44 PM