Posted to rec.food.cooking
nfw nfw is offline

Default Difference between Butter and Margarine

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it
killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the
research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure
out what to do with this product to get their money back.

It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow
coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you
like it? They have come out with some clever new flavorings...

DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?

Both have the same number of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to 5
grams for margarine.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over
eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard
Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in
other foods.

Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and
only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the
flavors of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around
for less than 100 years .

And now, for Margarine..

Very High in Trans fatty acids.

Triples risk of coronary heart disease ...

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol)
and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..

Lowers quality of breast milk.

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact.... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS
VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and
shares 27 ingredients with PAINT

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life
and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added,
changing the molecular structure of the substance).

You can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or
shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of
things:

No flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that
should tell you something) .

It does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional
value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weensy
microorganisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is
nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on
your toast?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"nfw" > wrote in message

> Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it
> killed the turkeys,

You're are an idiot to think the people here are as dumb as you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margarine

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
nfw > wrote:

> Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it
> killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the
> research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure
> out what to do with this product to get their money back.

Cites? I don't see that listed he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margarine

> Both have the same number of calories.
>
> Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to 5
> grams for margarine.
>
> Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over
> eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard
> Medical Study.
>
> Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in
> other foods.
>
> Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and
> only because they are added!
>
> Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the
> flavors of other foods.

Well, that one at least, is true for many people.

> Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around
> for less than 100 years .

> And now, for Margarine..
>

> Very High in Trans fatty acids.

There are many type of margarine on the market. Many are lower in trans
fats than butter (yes, butter has trans fats).

> Triples risk of coronary heart disease ...
>
> Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol)
> and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)
>
> Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..

Again, depends on the margarine for the three items above.

> Lowers quality of breast milk.

Who wants breast milk that tastes like margarine?

> These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life
> and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added,
> changing the molecular structure of the substance).

Hydrogenation makes liquid vegetable oil become solid, like naturally
occurring solid fats, and with their disadvantages. A diet high in
saturated fats, whether natural or not, is not recommended.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 12:27:53 -0700, Dan Abel wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > nfw > wrote:
> >

> >> Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it
> >> killed the turkeys

> > Cites? I don't see that listed he
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margarine

> Oh, it's indeed documented. At Snopes.com.

Thanks Steve. And it's worth a read:

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 14, 1:47*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 12:27:53 -0700, Dan Abel wrote:
> > In article >,
> > *nfw > wrote:

> >> Margarine *was originally manufactured *to fatten *turkeys. *When it
> >> killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the
> >> research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure
> >> out what to do with this product to get their money back. *

> > Cites? *I don't see that listed he

> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margarine

> Oh, it's indeed documented. *At Snopes.com.
>
> -sw

==
Yes, Snopes debunked it long ago.

A quotation for reference only...go to Scopes.com to read the full
article.

A quote: "Contrary to the claim, margarine was not invented as a
turkey fattener. It was formulated in 1869 by Hippolyte Mège Mouriès
of France in response to Napoleon III's offering of a prize to whoever
could succeed at producing a viable low-cost substitute for butter.
Mège Mouriès' concoction, which he dubbed oleomargarine, was achieved
by adding salty water, milk, and margaric acid to softened beef fat.
By the turn of the century, the beef fat in the original recipe had
been replaced by vegetable oils."

==

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy wrote on Mon, 14 Jun 2010 14:24:35 -0700 (PDT):

> On Jun 14, 1:47 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 12:27:53 -0700, Dan Abel wrote:

> >> Cites? I don't see that listed he

> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margarine

>> Oh, it's indeed documented. At Snopes.com.
>>
>> -sw

> ==
> Yes, Snopes debunked it long ago.

> A quotation for reference only...go to Scopes.com to read the
> full article.

> A quote: "Contrary to the claim, margarine was not invented as a
> turkey fattener. It was formulated in 1869 by Hippolyte Mège
> Mouriès of France in response to Napoleon III's offering of a
> prize to whoever could succeed at producing a viable low-cost
> substitute for butter. Mège Mouriès' concoction, which he
> dubbed oleomargarine, was achieved by adding salty water,
> milk, and margaric acid to softened beef fat. By the turn of
> the century, the beef fat in the original recipe had been
> replaced by vegetable oils."

"I Can't Believe It's not Butter". By heaven I can; I have a sense of
taste!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 14, 5:57*pm, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:

> Having said that, I will admit to keeping Canola Harvest tub
> margarine on hand to use a bit on hot vegetables, etc. *It does not
> contain hydrogenated fats or trans-fats and has fewer saturated fats
> than butter. *The taste is decent depending on how you use it, but
> there's no comparing it to butter.

If you have time, would you post the ingreeds? Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 15:36:53 -0700 (PDT), val189

Here you go. http://www.canolaharvest.com//products.aspx?id=14

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Duh'Weenie > wrote:

>On Mon 14 Jun 2010 02:28:51p, James Silverton told us...
>
>> Roy wrote on Mon, 14 Jun 2010 14:24:35 -0700 (PDT):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margarine

>>> ==
>>> Yes, Snopes debunked it long ago.

>>> A quotation for reference only...go to Scopes.com to read the
>>> full article.

>>> A quote: "Contrary to the claim, margarine was not invented as a
>>> turkey fattener. It was formulated in 1869 by Hippolyte Mège
>>> Mouriès of France in response to Napoleon III's offering of a
>>> prize to whoever could succeed at producing a viable low-cost
>>> substitute for butter. Mège Mouriès' concoction, which he
>>> dubbed oleomargarine, was achieved by adding salty water, milk,
>>> and margaric acid to softened beef fat. By the turn of the
>>> century, the beef fat in the original recipe had been replaced by
>>> vegetable oils."

>> "I Can't Believe It's not Butter". By heaven I can; I have a sense
>> of taste!

>I will admit to keeping Canola Harvest tub
>margarine on hand to use for lubing six year old butt holes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 22:50:53 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> Sheldon thought about making his first post of the night but
> realized he was too drunk to type.
>
> -sw

can you imagine the rants he could produce with voice-to-text software? at
least it might improve his spelling.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.250...
| On Tue 15 Jun 2010 01:14:30p, blake murphy told us...
|
| > On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 22:50:53 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
| >
| >> Sheldon thought about making his first post of the night but
| >> realized he was too drunk to type.
| >>
| >> -sw
| >
| > can you imagine the rants he could produce with voice-to-text
| > software? at least it might improve his spelling.
| >
| > your pal,
| > blake
| >

| If his speech is anything at all like his writing, anything coming
| out of his mouth would probably unintelligible.

Youse really tink so?

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message ...
| On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 22:04:35 -0400, pavane wrote:
|
| > "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
| > 5.250...
| >| On Tue 15 Jun 2010 01:14:30p, blake murphy told us...
| >|

| >|
| >| If his speech is anything at all like his writing, anything coming
| >| out of his mouth would probably unintelligible.
| >
| > Youse really tink so?
|
| Whatever y'all say about Sheldon, he does serve a valuable purpose
| here. He supplies us with a subject and an a myriad of opinions
| that 99.79% of us will agree on 100% of the time.

I agree 100%.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Butter is made from whole milk. Margarine is vegetable oil.

Any more silly questions?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Subject

Butter and Margarine are mutually exclusive terms.

OTOH:

Margarine and Axle Grease?

Lew

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/14/2010 5:28 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> Roy wrote on Mon, 14 Jun 2010 14:24:35 -0700 (PDT):

>>> Oh, it's indeed documented. At Snopes.com.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> ==
>> Yes, Snopes debunked it long ago.

>> A quotation for reference only...go to Scopes.com to read the
>> full article.

>> A quote: "Contrary to the claim, margarine was not invented as a
>> turkey fattener. It was formulated in 1869 by Hippolyte Mège
>> Mouriès of France in response to Napoleon III's offering of a
>> prize to whoever could succeed at producing a viable low-cost
>> substitute for butter. Mège Mouriès' concoction, which he
>> dubbed oleomargarine, was achieved by adding salty water,
>> milk, and margaric acid to softened beef fat. By the turn of
>> the century, the beef fat in the original recipe had been
>> replaced by vegetable oils."

> "I Can't Believe It's not Butter". By heaven I can; I have a sense of
> taste!

Have you ever seen "Kate and Leopold"? There's a wonderful scene in
which an 1870s English baron is confronted with a particularly poor
grade of margarine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Lew Hodgett" > wrote:

> Subject
>
> Butter and Margarine are mutually exclusive terms.
>
> OTOH:
>
> Margarine and Axle Grease?
>
> Lew

Margarine IS axle grease! <G>

Om -> ducking and running....
and using real butter. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"nfw" > wrote in message

> Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it
> killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the
> research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure
> out what to do with this product to get their money back.

Margarine is fake, like you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 05:56:09 -0400, "Kswck" >
wrote:

> Margarine is fake, like you.

LOL! Good one.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 22:04:35 -0400, pavane wrote:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 5.250...

>|> can you imagine the rants he could produce with voice-to-text
>|> software? at least it might improve his spelling.
>|>
>|> your pal,
>|> blake
>|>

>| If his speech is anything at all like his writing, anything coming
>| out of his mouth would probably unintelligible.
>
> Youse really tink so?
>
> pavane

<snort>

your pal,
blake

So...why use margarine instead of butter? Michel Boucher[_3_] General Cooking 31 13-11-2008 05:05 AM
Tea cookies without butter or margarine ? Viviane Buzzi Baking 0 31-03-2006 02:09 AM
Butter/Margarine Paul Giverin Baking 3 03-01-2006 09:40 PM
Brownies: Butter vs. Margarine Sheryl Rosen General Cooking 57 20-08-2005 07:01 AM
Butter Vs. Margarine Opinicus Historic 18 10-11-2004 09:31 PM