Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default So...why use margarine instead of butter?

Is there a condition where a recipe would call for margarine for a specific
reason where it would be better to use than butter? If the two are
interchangeable, why not say "margarine or butter"? I use safflower oil
where it calls for butter in crępes and I don't notice much of a diff.

Tonight I had a recipe for an apple curry sauce for pork chops which
required 1/4 cup of margarine. I used butter instead, being the hard-nosed
rebel that I am.

So, any ideas?

--

“Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 17:49:17 -0600, Michel Boucher
> wrote:

>So, any ideas?

Might have a higher ingredient cost?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
> Is there a condition where a recipe would call for margarine for a
> specific
> reason where it would be better to use than butter? If the two are
> interchangeable, why not say "margarine or butter"? I use safflower oil
> where it calls for butter in crępes and I don't notice much of a diff.
>
> Tonight I had a recipe for an apple curry sauce for pork chops which
> required 1/4 cup of margarine. I used butter instead, being the
> hard-nosed
> rebel that I am.
>
> So, any ideas?

Only if the recipe calls for a specific margarine as IIRC NUCOA is 100%
shortening and no water. It would be the same as butter flavored Crisco.
Butter although the fat standard for most baking does have a small
percentage of water. Substituting a liquid oil for a solid is not advisable
in baking. On the other hand so very many of the "spreads" have a very
large amount of water and can not be used in place of butter from frying or
even some baking.

OTOH there is never a flavor comparison to REAL BUTTER!

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 17:49:17 -0600, Michel Boucher
> wrote:

>Is there a condition where a recipe would call for margarine for a specific
>reason where it would be better to use than butter? If the two are
>interchangeable, why not say "margarine or butter"? I use safflower oil
>where it calls for butter in crępes and I don't notice much of a diff.
>
>Tonight I had a recipe for an apple curry sauce for pork chops which
>required 1/4 cup of margarine. I used butter instead, being the hard-nosed
>rebel that I am.
>
>So, any ideas?

I'm guessing it might be an old(er) recipe written during the times
when many people thought margarine was better for you.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
> Is there a condition where a recipe would call for margarine for a
> specific
> reason where it would be better to use than butter? If the two are
> interchangeable, why not say "margarine or butter"? I use safflower oil
> where it calls for butter in crępes and I don't notice much of a diff.
>
> Tonight I had a recipe for an apple curry sauce for pork chops which
> required 1/4 cup of margarine. I used butter instead, being the
> hard-nosed
> rebel that I am.
>
> So, any ideas?

I recall several times using recipes from Emeril or Paul P (or both) that
specified margarine instead of butter. I believe they preferred the more
oily quality for those particular recipes.

For cooking, I use butter by default with olive oil on occasion for its
flavor.

It will be a cold day in hell when I use margarine for anything other than
when Emeril or Paul insist!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher > wrote:

> Is there a condition where a recipe would call for margarine for a specific
> reason where it would be better to use than butter? If the two are
> interchangeable, why not say "margarine or butter"? I use safflower oil
> where it calls for butter in crępes and I don't notice much of a diff.
>
> Tonight I had a recipe for an apple curry sauce for pork chops which
> required 1/4 cup of margarine. I used butter instead, being the hard-nosed
> rebel that I am.
>
> So, any ideas?

Just make sure you use 'real' margarine when given the option. Many
of those spreads are only 35-70% vegetable oil. Real margarine is
80% or more. That's important when the recipe is calling for fat.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in :

> I'm guessing it might be an old(er) recipe written during the times
> when many people thought margarine was better for you.

The recipe doesn't actually have a date, so you might be right.

--

“Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
good of everyone.” - John Maynard Keynes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher wrote:
> Is there a condition where a recipe would call for margarine for a specific
> reason where it would be better to use than butter? If the two are
> interchangeable, why not say "margarine or butter"? I use safflower oil
> where it calls for butter in crępes and I don't notice much of a diff.
>
> Tonight I had a recipe for an apple curry sauce for pork chops which
> required 1/4 cup of margarine. I used butter instead, being the hard-nosed
> rebel that I am.
>
> So, any ideas?

Maybe it's a Kosher recipe for a meat meal? (not the pork chops, but
some other recipe)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

my huband has hypertension and we have to use unsalted margirine insead
of butter to cut out the salt he can't have!Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

my huband has hypertension and we have to use unsalted margirine insead
of butter to cut out the salt he can't have!Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 11, 5:46*pm, Michel Boucher > wrote:
> sf > wrote :
>
> > I'm guessing it might be an old(er) recipe written during the times
> > when many people thought margarine was better for you.

> The recipe doesn't actually have a date, so you might be right.
>
> --

I saw the same thing in a Gordon Ramsay cookbook published recently
and I was wondering about it myself. It was the only recipe in the
book that called for margarine which suggests to me it has some unique
application.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

carol mowat wrote:
> my huband has hypertension and we have to use unsalted margirine insead
> of butter to cut out the salt he can't have!Carol

Most stores carry unsalted (sweet) butter.
There is no health reason to have to suffer margarine..ugh.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 19:38:35 -0500, "Felice" >
wrote:

>It will be a cold day in hell when I use margarine for anything other than
>when Emeril or Paul insist!

I wouldn't use it even then, Felice. Any recipe that calls for
margarine is "dated" IMO. Margarine is simply a substitute for
butter, like Crisco is a substitute for lard.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
Michel Boucher > wrote:

> Is there a condition where a recipe would call for margarine for a specific
> reason where it would be better to use than butter? If the two are
> interchangeable, why not say "margarine or butter"? I use safflower oil
> where it calls for butter in crępes and I don't notice much of a diff.
>
> Tonight I had a recipe for an apple curry sauce for pork chops which
> required 1/4 cup of margarine. I used butter instead, being the hard-nosed
> rebel that I am.
>
> So, any ideas?

For things like cookies, using butter vs. margarine will produce a
difference in texture -- chewey as opposed to crispy.

Unfortunately, I forget which substance produces which result...

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 11, 10:35*pm, Goomba > wrote:
> carol mowat wrote:
> > my huband has hypertension and we have to use unsalted margirine insead
> > of butter to cut out the salt he can't have!Carol

> Most stores carry unsalted (sweet) butter.
> There is no health reason to have to suffer margarine..ugh.

Yep! And butter tastes soooo much better!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"carol mowat" > wrote in message
> my huband has hypertension and we have to use unsalted margirine insead
> of butter to cut out the salt he can't have!Carol

Why not use unsalted butter?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

When I use tub margarine instead of stick or real butter, my Dutch oven
apple crisp turns out slightly oily. When it mixes with the dry
ingredients, it has a brown oily appearance instead of a flaky white
appearance. Only took one time to see the difference. I had doubts when I
mixed the dry ingredients and tub butter. I was right, and it didn't come
out good at all.

That's one recipe that definitely makes a difference.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob > wrote in
:

> Maybe it's a Kosher recipe for a meat meal? (not the pork chops, but
> some other recipe)

No, it was a baked pork chops recipe, in an apple curry sauce.

--

“Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
good of everyone.” - John Maynard Keynes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher wrote:
> zxcvbob > wrote in
> :
>
>> Maybe it's a Kosher recipe for a meat meal? (not the pork chops, but
>> some other recipe)

> No, it was a baked pork chops recipe, in an apple curry sauce.

I know that, I'm just answering the question why a recipe (not *that*
recipe) might specifically say margarine instead of butter.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob > wrote in news:kmBSk.4339$Gm3.233
@newsfe01.iad:

> Michel Boucher wrote:
>> zxcvbob > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> Maybe it's a Kosher recipe for a meat meal? (not the pork chops, but
>>> some other recipe)

>> No, it was a baked pork chops recipe, in an apple curry sauce.

> I know that, I'm just answering the question why a recipe (not *that*
> recipe) might specifically say margarine instead of butter.

Ah...sorry ;-)

--

“Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
good of everyone.” - John Maynard Keynes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

carol mowat wrote:
> my huband has hypertension and we have to use unsalted margirine
> insead of butter to cut out the salt he can't have!Carol

Buy UNSALTED butter
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 11, 5:49*pm, Michel Boucher > wrote:
> Is there a condition where a recipe would call for margarine for a specific
> reason where it would be better to use than butter? *If the two are
> interchangeable, why not say "margarine or butter"? *I use safflower oil
> where it calls for butter in crępes and I don't notice much of a diff.
>
> Tonight I had a recipe for an apple curry sauce for pork chops which
> required 1/4 cup of margarine. *I used butter instead, being the hard-nosed
> rebel that I am.
>
> So, any ideas?
>
> --
>
> “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
> of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
> good of everyone.” - John Maynard Keynes

If my kids want a softer and more chewy chocolate chip cookie (if they
are being stored for a few days, for instance), I use 2/3 oleo, 1/3
butter. They don't get as crispy that way. Me, I like all butter.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 21:41:37 -0700, Christine Dabney
> > wrote:

> >>I sincerely doubt it. Some proof checker missed the reference before
> >>publishing (or wasn't told to look for it), that's all. It's nothing
> >>that requires any intense thinking or knowledge about kitchen science.

> >I disagree. Paul Prudhomme has several recipes in which he specifies
> >margarine, and I think I have seen other authors that specify
> >margarine. And yes, they give their reasons..and it was a valid
> >reason for the specific dish. For some reason, it seemed that
> >margarine gave some quality to the dish, that butter didn't.
> >

> Huh, interesting. I'd substitute butter anyway.
>
> Honestly, it's either lard or butter - no margarine for me. If they
> can't make a recipe using honest ingredients, then they shouldn't
> publish it.

Seconded.
--
Peace! Om

"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> If my kids want a softer and more chewy chocolate chip cookie (if they
> are being stored for a few days, for instance), I use 2/3 oleo, 1/3
> butter. They don't get as crispy that way. Me, I like all butter.

Alton Brown did a whole show in which he gave recipes for crisp, chewy,
and soft chocolate chip cookies.

gloria p

Difference between Butter and Margarine nfw General Cooking 24 16-06-2010 07:09 PM
Butter/Margarine Paul Giverin Baking 3 03-01-2006 09:40 PM
Brownies: Butter vs. Margarine Sheryl Rosen General Cooking 57 20-08-2005 07:01 AM
Butter Vs. Margarine Opinicus Historic 18 10-11-2004 09:31 PM
margarine/butter question TND2075 General Cooking 5 05-11-2003 07:44 PM