Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

Default The 14th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report - long

Ribbon Sluts of the country, rise up!

The Great Minnesota Get-Together began its 12-day run this morning at
0600.

Several years ago they started making competition results available
online so that interested parties don't have to drag their sorry
carcasses to the fairgrounds at 0900 to check The Lists when the
buildings open. The Lists list the winners in each lot for canning and
baking. Chris and I used to be there when they opened the building
doors at 9:00 a.m. Now we can be more relaxed about our arrival and I
can know the proper demeanor to effect, jubilant, reserved, or pouty.
:-) Jubilant is way out in front.

Cutting to the chase, I entered the maximum number of canning entries,
20.

Gentleones, the envelope please.

Blue ribbons (first place) for Blackberry Jelly, Blackberry Jam, Stewed
Tomatoes, and Tomato Juice. The tomato products have won their lot for
three consecutive years each, thus prohibiting me from entering those
lots for two years. Well, FINE, then!

Red ribbons (second place) for nothing. Weird, but that's how it shook
out.

White ribbons (third place) for Plum-m-m-m Jelly, Raspberry Jelly,
Strawberry Jam (berry-smashing aided by the Blue Ribbon Grandchild),
Bread & Butter Pickles,

Pink ribbons (fourth place) for Crabapple Jelly, Pickled Boiled Dirt
Chunks (yeah, that's what the label said‹with the entry booklet name
following it),

No ribbon, but fifth place for Watermelon Pickles.

and a Gedney prize for Best Cucumber Pickle with Balsamic Vinegar.

Bombed in Grape Jelly (wild grape jelly, see my web site blog about that
one), Mint Jelly (It's lovely, but puny in flavor ‹ see my website blog
for that one), Strawberry Jelly (it vas so-o-o pretty, too), Peach Jam,
Raspberry Jam (harrummpphhh!), Rhubarb-Orange Jam with Candied Ginger
(some people don't know what's good), and Lemon-Apricot Jam (a reduced
sugar recipe that may be the best thing I've made all summer
long‹skroom!), Corn Relish (I don't get that either‹maybe somebody's
using the recipe I've published so many times and doing it better than I
do it‹fair enough‹or maybe they are not. Interesting, though.), and
H-hot Ch-cherry Blackberry Relish (OK, so it sounds weird and it looked
mooshy rather than relishy, it was still good, dammit).

Then there was the baking. . . . The most gorgemous loaf of plain white
bread I've ever baked came in‹somewhere in a galaxy far, far away; it
didn't place. It has won first; last year it beat out the White Bread
Queen's loaf, and this year? Bupkes.

Boy and Girl brownies? Bupkes. Zip. Both have won blue ribbons in
other years, though with not necessarily these recipes.

Banana Bread that needed its bananas to rot for another two or three
days I didn't have to be good? Fourth. A ribbon. Go figure. The
streak continues.

This is why I have so freakin' much fun doing this, even though I am
ready for a rehab unit somewhere warm with scantily lad handsome and
youthful men to minister to my aching bones and muscles and stuff ‹ it's
always a crapshoot.

Because of what began with some nasty words about fallen plums, I've had
my moments in the sun and expect a few more. I clean up nice and
generally show well. A basket of my stuff ‹ stuff *I* made‹ brought
$650 to a great charitable foundation last week. How good is THAT?

I'm scheduled to do an interview tomorrow morning for NPR's All Things
Considered (don't know when it will be broadcast, this weekend or
next?). I've been interviewed for a story in the New York Times. The
NEW YORK TIMES, fercryin'outloud! How much fun is THAT? Last Sunday I
got to encourage a little girl to learn to do what I can do. Sweet
girl. I hope she needs to call me for help; I would love nothing more.
Chris son has been emailing to his AZ friends all day; recipe requests
have already come in from a couple of them. What? Nobody's got a good
banana bread recipe except me? Unlikely.

It's the Great Minnesota Get-Together and as it is with so many things,
your interest and joy increases with the level of your involvement.
I'm involved. My interest is way up there. :-)

Somebody call Letterman or Craig Ferguson. Please. :-)

The beat goes on. (Shut up, Bubba!!)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 21:20:22 -0500, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:

>Pink ribbons (fourth place) for Crabapple Jelly, Pickled Boiled Dirt
>Chunks...

OK, I'll bite....what the heck are "Pickled Boiled Dirt
Chunks"?

- Scott Smith:
MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/choppersmith

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

Melba's Jammin' wrote

> Ribbon Sluts of the country, rise up!
>
> The Great Minnesota Get-Together began its 12-day run this morning at
> 0600.
>
> Several years ago they started making competition results available
> online so that interested parties don't have to drag their sorry
> carcasses to the fairgrounds at 0900 to check The Lists when the
> buildings open. The Lists list the winners in each lot for canning and
> baking. Chris and I used to be there when they opened the building
> doors at 9:00 a.m. Now we can be more relaxed about our arrival and I
> can know the proper demeanor to effect, jubilant, reserved, or pouty.
> :-) Jubilant is way out in front.

Congrats, darling, I knew you'd do well with your entries - I mean we don't
expect *less*, do we...???

:-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

Scott Smith wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 21:20:22 -0500, Melba's Jammin'

> wrote:
>
> >Pink ribbons (fourth place) for Crabapple Jelly, Pickled Boiled Dirt
> >Chunks...

> OK, I'll bite....what the heck are "Pickled Boiled Dirt
> Chunks"?

"Beets" for you parvenu's...

:=D

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

CONGRATULATIONS, woman!!! A year well done! Youse is one crazy
woman! If I'da been a judge, you would have ALL blues just for
"content". Is that pronounced "content" or "content"? <G>

AnnE how come you never do tomato jam?

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> [...]
> girl. I hope she needs to call me for help; I would love nothing
> more.
> Chris son has been emailing to his AZ friends all day; recipe requests
> have already come in from a couple of them. What? Nobody's got a
> good
> banana bread recipe except me? Unlikely.
>
> It's the Great Minnesota Get-Together and as it is with so many
> things,
> your interest and joy increases with the level of your involvement.
> I'm involved. My interest is way up there. :-)
>
> Somebody call Letterman or Craig Ferguson. Please. :-)
>
> The beat goes on. (Shut up, Bubba!!)
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and
> needs updating with Fair results and pics, but I'm tired right now.

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general
Sky Sky is offline

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> [...]
> NEW YORK TIMES, fercryin'outloud! How much fun is THAT? Last Sunday I
> got to encourage a little girl to learn to do what I can do. Sweet
> girl. I hope she needs to call me for help; I would love nothing more.
> Chris son has been emailing to his AZ friends all day; recipe requests
> have already come in from a couple of them. What? Nobody's got a good
> banana bread recipe except me? Unlikely.
>
> It's the Great Minnesota Get-Together and as it is with so many things,
> your interest and joy increases with the level of your involvement.
> I'm involved. My interest is way up there. :-)
>
> Somebody call Letterman or Craig Ferguson. Please. :-)
>
> The beat goes on. (Shut up, Bubba!!)
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and
> needs updating with Fair results and pics, but I'm tired right now.

Way to to Girl and big-time congratulations!!!! What a fantastic take!
Please do give the links when your interviews get online. I'd love to
hear/read them in all your glory ;D

Sky, who wonders what sort of display Barb has for all her glorious
ribbons!

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

"Melba's Jammin'" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> :-) Jubilant is way out in front.

Congratulations! Of course one never knows what they like/don't like about
anything.

Your experiences are so different to mine I always watch closely. I am so
NOT competitive that I never enter anything in a competition-- OK once I
entered a Washington Post thingie. I search my heart to understand is it
fear of losing or what? Nope, just prefer feeding people on ways that make
them happy. It makes me curious about what that feels like, like is it sort
of parachuting or bungee jumping of the cooking world?

And I love beets.

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Ribbon Sluts of the country, rise up!
>
> The Great Minnesota Get-Together began its 12-day run this morning at
> 0600.

<snip>

> It's the Great Minnesota Get-Together and as it is with so many things,
> your interest and joy increases with the level of your involvement.
> I'm involved. My interest is way up there. :-)
>
> Somebody call Letterman or Craig Ferguson. Please. :-)
>
> The beat goes on. (Shut up, Bubba!!)
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and
> needs updating with Fair results and pics, but I'm tired right now.

Congratulations, Barb ;-)

Sounds like you're still on a roll!

kimberly
--
http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/
http://www.revver.com/video/1100047/patriot-pilot/#

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 21:20:22 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Ribbon Sluts of the country, rise up!
>
>The Great Minnesota Get-Together began its 12-day run this morning at
>0600.

Congratulations, Barb. Excellent work, as always.

I'm an NPR fan and a NYT subscriber. My ears and eyes are anxiously
awaiting the reports.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

In article >,
"AnnE" > wrote:

> AnnE how come you never do tomato jam?

I have and I may. Tomatoes are late this year. There's still time. :-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and
most recently updated last night, 8-17-2008. Fair entries are DONE!

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "AnnE" > wrote:
>
>> AnnE how come you never do tomato jam?

> I have and I may. Tomatoes are late this year. There's still time.
> :-)
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and
> most recently updated last night, 8-17-2008. Fair entries are DONE!

Our tomatoes are not very good this year. Cherry tommies are super but
I make BLTs a lot and those don't work very well. <g>

Got a new panini machine and have been using that a lot this summer.
HB at Target for $40. I LOVE it. Takes 2 fairly large sandwiches.
Trouble with it tho as I seem to make them too large! <G> I went back
and bought 2 more for the girls.

AnnE

Posted to rec.food.preserving

> [...]

>I'm scheduled to do an interview tomorrow morning for NPR's All Things
>Considered (don't know when it will be broadcast, this weekend or
>next?). I've been interviewed for a story in the New York Times. The
>NEW YORK TIMES, fercryin'outloud! How much fun is THAT? Last Sunday I
>got to encourage a little girl to learn to do what I can do. Sweet
>girl. I hope she needs to call me for help; I would love nothing more.
>Chris son has been emailing to his AZ friends all day; recipe requests
>have already come in from a couple of them. What? Nobody's got a good
>banana bread recipe except me? Unlikely.
>
>It's the Great Minnesota Get-Together and as it is with so many things,
>your interest and joy increases with the level of your involvement.
>I'm involved. My interest is way up there. :-)
>
>Somebody call Letterman or Craig Ferguson. Please. :-)

Congratulations. You did good.

I need to get started on figuring out what to enter this year. First
I have to find the book and entry form. Maybe I should check to see
if I can enter online.

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

On Aug 21, 10:20 pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> [...]
>
> I'm scheduled to do an interview tomorrow morning for NPR's All Things
> Considered (don't know when it will be broadcast, this weekend or
> next?). I've been interviewed for a story in the New York Times. The
> NEW YORK TIMES, fercryin'outloud! How much fun is THAT? Last Sunday I
> got to encourage a little girl to learn to do what I can do. Sweet
> girl. I hope she needs to call me for help; I would love nothing more.
> Chris son has been emailing to his AZ friends all day; recipe requests
> have already come in from a couple of them. What? Nobody's got a good
> banana bread recipe except me? Unlikely.
>
> It's the Great Minnesota Get-Together and as it is with so many things,
> your interest and joy increases with the level of your involvement.
> I'm involved. My interest is way up there. :-)
>
> Somebody call Letterman or Craig Ferguson. Please. :-)

You never cease to awe and inspire! Go dirt chunks!

maxine in ri, who would know how to appreciate the Rhubarb-Orange Jam
with Candied Ginger appropriately, given the opportunity<G>
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Ribbon Sluts of the country, rise up!
>
> The Great Minnesota Get-Together began its 12-day run this morning at
> 0600.

<GIANT SNIP>

> Somebody call Letterman or Craig Ferguson. Please. :-)
>
> The beat goes on. (Shut up, Bubba!!)
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and
> needs updating with Fair results and pics, but I'm tired right now.

As usual Congratulations are in order for your hard work as well as the
wonderful results.

Keep the hits coming.

Regards

Dimitri et al.

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

"AnnE" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "AnnE" > wrote:
>>
>>> AnnE how come you never do tomato jam?

>> I have and I may. Tomatoes are late this year. There's still time. :-)
>> --
>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>> http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and
>> most recently updated last night, 8-17-2008. Fair entries are DONE!

> Our tomatoes are not very good this year. Cherry tommies are super but I
> make BLTs a lot and those don't work very well. <g>

Alton Brown did a Good Eats episode on tomatoes, and said that cherry
tomatoes (or maybe it was grape tomatoes) made the best BLT. Then he made a
BLT salad with them, which I think was sorta cheating.

But it did get me thinking -- why not chop the tomatoes and mix them with
the mayo? Sandwich texture would be a tad different, but I'll bet it would
taste pretty darn good.

Anny

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

Congratulations!!!

As you know, I got impatient and went and looked online to see how you did
with your canning entries, but didn't look to see how you did with your
baking ones.

As to what you do with all the ribbons -- At the Illinois State Fair I saw a
couple of quilts made from neck-ties. I suppose the texture might be a bit
odd, but it could be fun to have a quilt made of your ribbons. Do you know
any quilters?

Anny

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Anny Middon wrote:
> "AnnE" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

>>> I have and I may. Tomatoes are late this year. There's still time. :-)
>>> --
>>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>>> http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and
>>> most recently updated last night, 8-17-2008. Fair entries are DONE!

>> Our tomatoes are not very good this year. Cherry tommies are super but I
>> make BLTs a lot and those don't work very well. <g>
>>

> Alton Brown did a Good Eats episode on tomatoes, and said that cherry
> tomatoes (or maybe it was grape tomatoes) made the best BLT. Then he made a
> BLT salad with them, which I think was sorta cheating.
>
> But it did get me thinking -- why not chop the tomatoes and mix them with
> the mayo? Sandwich texture would be a tad different, but I'll bet it would
> taste pretty darn good.
>
> Anny

Good idea Anny. We've been getting lots of small red pear tomatoes this
year. Will have to try the idea this weekend. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

Barb,
Rich and I were moving a couple of months ago and I found one of
your award winning jams in our cupboard :--) Uh, I think that it may
have been almost 9 years old.

Janis

wrote:
> Ribbon Sluts of the country, rise up!
>
> The Great Minnesota Get-Together began its 12-day run this morning at
> 0600.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 21:20:22 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Ribbon Sluts of the country, rise up!
>
>The Great Minnesota Get-Together began its 12-day run this morning at
>0600.
>

>Somebody call Letterman or Craig Ferguson. Please. :-)
>
>The beat goes on. (Shut up, Bubba!!)

I'm so amazed at all you've done. I've lurked off and on at rfp for
years and your list of accomplishments keeps growing .

A quilt of the ribbons is a awesome idea!

snow
ps i could kill for some good Pickled Dirt Chunks.. my favorite!
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

"Anny Middon" > wrote in message
> "AnnE" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

>>> I have and I may. Tomatoes are late this year. There's still time.
>>> :-)
>>> --
>>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>>> http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and
>>> most recently updated last night, 8-17-2008. Fair entries are DONE!

>> Our tomatoes are not very good this year. Cherry tommies are super
>> but I make BLTs a lot and those don't work very well. <g>
>>

> Alton Brown did a Good Eats episode on tomatoes, and said that cherry
> tomatoes (or maybe it was grape tomatoes) made the best BLT. Then he
> made a BLT salad with them, which I think was sorta cheating.
>
> But it did get me thinking -- why not chop the tomatoes and mix them
> with the mayo? Sandwich texture would be a tad different, but I'll
> bet it would taste pretty darn good.
>
> Anny

Nah, that wouldn't work! Too mushy. lol Had home grown tomatoes
for dinner tonite with cottage cheese. Yum. And a watermelon from
Costco which was to die for.

AnnE

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general
WDS WDS is offline

On Aug 21, 9:20*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> Ribbon Sluts of the country, rise up!

Way to go! We ought to find some way to get samples or
something. :-)

I have never submitted anything to the state fair and only once ever
to our county fair. However, that photo submission won a ribbon! My
wife was so jealous because she submitted scores of photos over the
years and never won and I won one my first (and only) time. I fully
admit her photos are vastly better than mine but I happened to get
lucky that one time with the subject and setting and had the right
equipment (her camera nonetheless!) in hand.
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

AnnE wrote:

> Our tomatoes are not very good this year. Cherry tommies are super but I
> make BLTs a lot and those don't work very well. <g>

You *could* make a BLT salad: Toast bread, cut it into half-inch squares,
then toss it with crisp bacon squares, torn lettuce, and halved cherry
tomatoes. Dress lightly with homemade mayo, then add salt and pepper to
taste.

Bob, BLT junkie

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Ribbon Sluts of the country, rise up!
>
> The Great Minnesota Get-Together began its 12-day run this morning at
> 0600.... [...]

Oh Barb, that is simply marvelous news. It warms my heart to know that
the art of preserving is not only practiced so well but appreciated so
much. I can hardly wait to hear the ATC podcast of you and read any
articles.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

In article >,
Quirky Cynick > wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 21:20:22 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> <snipped>
>
> >Then there was the baking. . . . The most gorgemous loaf of plain white
> >bread I've ever baked came in‹somewhere in a galaxy far, far away; it
> >didn't place. It has won first; last year it beat out the White Bread
> >Queen's loaf, and this year? Bupkes.

> Do you happen to have the recipe for your most magnificent bread?

I do.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and
most recently updated last night, 8-17-2008. Fair entries are DONE!
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 21:20:22 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >Ribbon Sluts of the country, rise up!
> >
> >The Great Minnesota Get-Together began its 12-day run this morning at
> >0600.
> >

> >Somebody call Letterman or Craig Ferguson. Please. :-)
> >
> >The beat goes on. (Shut up, Bubba!!)

> I'm so amazed at all you've done. I've lurked off and on at rfp for
> years and your list of accomplishments keeps growing .
>
> A quilt of the ribbons is a awesome idea!
>
> snow
> ps i could kill for some good Pickled Dirt Chunks.. my favorite!

Snow, I'm told these are pretty good. :-)

Beet Pickles, posted to rec.food.preserving by Barb Schaller, 8-23-2008

? 3 cups sugar
? 3 cups water
? 3 cups cider vinegar
? 4 tablespoons mixed spices

Cook brine/syrup ingredients to boiling. Add 10 cups cooked beets and
boil 10 minutes. Cool, pack, and seal.

I packed the jars and poured the boiling syrup over; processed for 30
minutes in a boiling water bath, per NCHFP site.

Made a couple jars for 2008 Fair consideration -- and they won fourth
place--a RIBBON!! Hooyah!

Servings/Yield

7 pints

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and
most recently updated last night, 8-17-2008. Fair entries are DONE!

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Quirky Cynick > wrote:
>

>>> Then there was the baking. . . . The most gorgemous loaf of plain white
>>> bread I've ever baked came in‹somewhere in a galaxy far, far away; it
>>> didn't place. It has won first; last year it beat out the White Bread
>>> Queen's loaf, and this year? Bupkes.

>> Do you happen to have the recipe for your most magnificent bread?

> I do.

Snort.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

In article >,
Gloria P > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> >> Do you happen to have the recipe for your most magnificent bread?

> > I do.

> Snort.
>
> gloria p

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=93914948

:-)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and
most recently updated last night, 8-17-2008. Fair entries are DONE!
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 15:30:10 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Beet Pickles, posted to rec.food.preserving by Barb Schaller, 8-23-2008
>
> ? 3 cups sugar
> ? 3 cups water
> ? 3 cups cider vinegar
> ? 4 tablespoons mixed spices
>
>Cook brine/syrup ingredients to boiling. Add 10 cups cooked beets and
>boil 10 minutes. Cool, pack, and seal.
>
>I packed the jars and poured the boiling syrup over; processed for 30
>minutes in a boiling water bath, per NCHFP site.
>
>Made a couple jars for 2008 Fair consideration -- and they won fourth
>place--a RIBBON!! Hooyah!
>
>Servings/Yield
>
>7 pints

YUMMMMMMMMMM copied and saved... i have a case of pints with nothing
to do... !! thanks!
Posted to rec.food.preserving

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 15:30:10 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>

>>Beet Pickles, posted to rec.food.preserving by Barb Schaller, 8-23-2008
>>
>> ? 3 cups sugar
>> ? 3 cups water
>> ? 3 cups cider vinegar
>> ? 4 tablespoons mixed spices
>>
>>Cook brine/syrup ingredients to boiling. Add 10 cups cooked beets and
>>boil 10 minutes. Cool, pack, and seal.
>>
>>I packed the jars and poured the boiling syrup over; processed for 30
>>minutes in a boiling water bath, per NCHFP site.
>>
>>Made a couple jars for 2008 Fair consideration -- and they won fourth
>>place--a RIBBON!! Hooyah!
>>
>>Servings/Yield
>>
>>7 pints

> YUMMMMMMMMMM copied and saved... i have a case of pints with nothing
> to do... !! thanks!

Did you try the Red Wine Pickled B**ts? for beet fanciers, there's nothing
nicer.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 10:19:53 -0600, "The Joneses"
> wrote:

>Did you try the Red Wine Pickled B**ts? for beet fanciers, there's nothing
>nicer.
>Edrena

never heard of 'em... I can't have red wine, but I can have whites and
rose', think I could substitute? Mmmmmm wine and beets... yummy

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

On Aug 22, 3:45*pm, "Anny Middon" >
wrote:
> "AnnE" > wrote in message
>
> . ..
>

> > "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> >> I have and I may. *Tomatoes are late this year. *There's still time. :-)
> >> --
> >> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> >>http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and
> >> most recently updated last night, 8-17-2008. *Fair entries are DONE!

> > Our tomatoes are not very good this year. *Cherry tommies are super but I
> > make BLTs a lot and those don't work very well. *<g>

> Alton Brown did a Good Eats episode on tomatoes, and said that cherry
> tomatoes (or maybe it was grape tomatoes) made the best BLT. *Then he made a
> BLT salad with them, which I think was sorta cheating.
>
> But it did get me thinking -- why not chop the tomatoes and mix them with
> the mayo? *Sandwich texture would be a tad different, but I'll bet it would
> taste pretty darn good.
>
> Anny- Hide quoted text -

I made that recipe for BLT salad but I think he called it something
else. Anyway, it was good but I prefer a peppercorn ranch dressing to
his vinagrette and I like them better all fresh rather than half
carmelized.

I've been overrun by grape tomatoes from the garden. The Roma's are
coming in slowly but the big tomatoes are just not happy this year for
some reason. It's been colder and was way cold in early summer so
that may be it and they'll be along later on. There is still plenty of
time...

Loki
Posted to rec.food.preserving

wrote:
> On Aug 22, 3:45 pm, "Anny Middon" >
> wrote:
>> "AnnE" > wrote in message
>>
>> . ..

http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and
>>> Our tomatoes are not very good this year. Cherry tommies are super but I
>>> make BLTs a lot and those don't work very well. <g>

>> Alton Brown did a Good Eats episode on tomatoes, and said that cherry
>> tomatoes (or maybe it was grape tomatoes) made the best BLT. Then he made a
>> BLT salad with them, which I think was sorta cheating.
>>
>> But it did get me thinking -- why not chop the tomatoes and mix them with
>> the mayo? Sandwich texture would be a tad different, but I'll bet it would
>> taste pretty darn good.
>>
>> Anny- Hide quoted text -

> I made that recipe for BLT salad but I think he called it something
> else. Anyway, it was good but I prefer a peppercorn ranch dressing to
> his vinagrette and I like them better all fresh rather than half
> carmelized.
>
> I've been overrun by grape tomatoes from the garden. The Roma's are
> coming in slowly but the big tomatoes are just not happy this year for
> some reason. It's been colder and was way cold in early summer so
> that may be it and they'll be along later on. There is still plenty of
> time...
>
> Loki

Is that you Loki? Long time no hear from.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Aug 26, 6:18*pm, George Shirley > wrote:
> wrote:
> > On Aug 22, 3:45 pm, "Anny Middon" >
> > wrote:
> >> "AnnE" > wrote in message

> m...

> >> Alton Brown did a Good Eats episode on tomatoes, and said that cherry
> >> tomatoes (or maybe it was grape tomatoes) made the best BLT. *Then he made a
> >> BLT salad with them, which I think was sorta cheating.

> >> But it did get me thinking -- why not chop the tomatoes and mix them with
> >> the mayo? *Sandwich texture would be a tad different, but I'll bet it would
> >> taste pretty darn good.

> >> Anny- Hide quoted text -

> > I made that recipe for BLT salad but I think he called it something
> > else. *Anyway, it was good but I prefer a peppercorn ranch dressing to
> > his vinagrette and I like them better all fresh rather than half
> > carmelized.

> > I've been overrun by grape tomatoes from the garden. *The Roma's are
> > coming in slowly but the big tomatoes are just not happy this year for
> > some reason. *It's been colder and was way cold in early summer so
> > that may be it and they'll be along later on. There is still plenty of
> > time...

> >Loki

> Is that youLoki? Long time no hear from.
>
> George- Hide quoted text -

Yep, it's me. We have finally (I hope) settled in the Ozarks in
Missouri. I'm happy here. We have some acreage and a nice big
"pond" (Ok, so it's more than an acre and has an island in it) and
plenty of room for the doggies to run. I've got a small garden this
year, about enough to use fresh but not enough to put anything by.
That is for next year.

Took me a long time to find a newsfeed out here. I finally gave up
and am using Google Groups.

Chuck is doing well at a nice large hospital here. Seems like he'll
start working directly with the ambulance crews and the helicopter
folks pretty soon so he's in heaven. LOL.

I saw your post on the hurricane. Damn, seems like anyone down there
has the drill down pat these days. We do too even though we left
after Rita. Folks around here are amazed at the stuff we seem to have
- generator, emergency supplies, food, water, even emergency stuff for
the dogs and cats. Sad thing is we've used them up here too when we
were in St Louis and they had 4 weeks that year without electricity
due to storms in the summer and ice in the winter.

How are the little dog and the wife doing? Heck, how are YOU
doing????

Loki
Posted to rec.food.preserving

wrote:
> On Aug 26, 6:18 pm, George Shirley > wrote:
>> wrote:

http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and
>>> I made that recipe for BLT salad but I think he called it something
>>> else. Anyway, it was good but I prefer a peppercorn ranch dressing to
>>> his vinagrette and I like them better all fresh rather than half
>>> carmelized.
>>> I've been overrun by grape tomatoes from the garden. The Roma's are
>>> coming in slowly but the big tomatoes are just not happy this year for
>>> some reason. It's been colder and was way cold in early summer so
>>> that may be it and they'll be along later on. There is still plenty of
>>> time...
>>> Loki

>> Is that youLoki? Long time no hear from.
>>
>> George- Hide quoted text -

> Yep, it's me. We have finally (I hope) settled in the Ozarks in
> Missouri. I'm happy here. We have some acreage and a nice big
> "pond" (Ok, so it's more than an acre and has an island in it) and
> plenty of room for the doggies to run. I've got a small garden this
> year, about enough to use fresh but not enough to put anything by.
> That is for next year.
>
> Took me a long time to find a newsfeed out here. I finally gave up
> and am using Google Groups.
>
> Chuck is doing well at a nice large hospital here. Seems like he'll
> start working directly with the ambulance crews and the helicopter
> folks pretty soon so he's in heaven. LOL.
>
> I saw your post on the hurricane. Damn, seems like anyone down there
> has the drill down pat these days. We do too even though we left
> after Rita. Folks around here are amazed at the stuff we seem to have
> - generator, emergency supplies, food, water, even emergency stuff for
> the dogs and cats. Sad thing is we've used them up here too when we
> were in St Louis and they had 4 weeks that year without electricity
> due to storms in the summer and ice in the winter.
>
> How are the little dog and the wife doing? Heck, how are YOU
> doing????
>
> Loki

We're all doing okay, the new little dog is coming along nicely. Old
Sleepy Dawg died of cancer on 09/24/07 and we got Tilly Dawg a couple of
weeks later. Two different personalities but Tilly is developing well.
DW is still teaching art at the elementary level and plans to retire in
2010, maybe. The school board is building a new school to replace the
one she works in and it will have a really nice art room with water,
separate bathroom (maybe), a kiln room, and built-in cupboards. She
would really like to have a room like that for at least one school year.

I'm still kicking, not aging very gracefully, but still kicking. We're
letting our garden lie fallow this winter and we will be amending the
soil a great deal. First I have to get the extension office to run some
tests for us so we can see what the soil needs. We have high hopes for a
really good garden next spring as this year totally sucked as far as
production goes.

I have lots of relatives up in your new part of the country and it is a
very nice place to live. We thought of retiring to the Berryville,
Arkansas or the Aurora, MO area at one time but the Gulf is in our blood
I guess.

It's good to hear you and Doc Charlie have settled in and are getting
started in a new place. Stay in touch with us.
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "AnnE" > wrote:
>
>> AnnE how come you never do tomato jam?

> I have and I may. Tomatoes are late this year. There's still time. :-)

Is tomato jam done up sweet like fruit preserves or salty like Italian
sauces?

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

On Sep 5, 8:24*pm, "catpandaddy" > wrote:
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> > In article >,
> > "AnnE" > wrote:

> >> * * * * * * AnnE * * * *how come you never do tomato jam?

> > I have and I may. *Tomatoes are late this year. *There's still time.. *:-)

> Is tomato jam done up sweet like fruit preserves or salty like Italian
> sauces?

Sweet. Delicious with breakfast sausages.
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

In article >,
"catpandaddy" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "AnnE" > wrote:
> >
> >> AnnE how come you never do tomato jam?

> > I have and I may. Tomatoes are late this year. There's still time. :-)

> Is tomato jam done up sweet like fruit preserves or salty like Italian
> sauces?

Mmmmm... sweet. Just made 7 jars of tomato marmalade today, with two
Valencias.
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

catpandaddy wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>
>> In article >,
>> "AnnE" > wrote:
>>
>>> AnnE how come you never do tomato jam?

>> I have and I may. Tomatoes are late this year. There's still time. :-)

> Is tomato jam done up sweet like fruit preserves or salty like Italian
> sauces?

Sweet and tangy, like ketchup. Or catsup. Or whatever.

Our garden is small enough that our family and those of our kids'
friends there are none left over for processing.

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

In article >,
"catpandaddy" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "AnnE" > wrote:
> >
> >> AnnE how come you never do tomato jam?

> > I have and I may. Tomatoes are late this year. There's still time. :-)

> Is tomato jam done up sweet like fruit preserves or salty like Italian
> sauces?

IME, mostly sweet and usually with sweet spices (cinnamon, clove, and/or
allspice).

I'm thinking about Mark Bittman's recipe from the NYTimes , 8//19/2008
and it has
€ 1-1/2 lbs. good ripe tomatoes (Roma are best), cored and coarsely
chopped
€ 1 cup sugar
€ 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
€ 1 tablespoon fresh grated or minced ginger
€ 1 teaspoon ground cumin
€ 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
€ 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
€ 1 teaspoon salt
€ 1 jalapeño or other peppers, stemmed, seeded and minced, or red
pepper flakes or cayenne to taste.

I've another recipe I have made but would have to look for it.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, and here's the link to my appearance