Melba's Jammin'

Default Long: The Ninth Annual Schaller State Fair Ribbon Report: Color me Red, White, and MOSTLY BLUE!

As Sam would say: "I so 'cited."

Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
how they fared at the fair (it opened today; Chris and I will head out
in a couple hours):

Apricot Butter - 4th

Apricot and Blackberry Jams - nothing
Cherry Jam - 1st
Peach Jam - 1st
Raspberry and Apricot-Mango-Pineapple Jams - nothing
Strawberry Jam - 1st

Blackberry Jelly - 1st
Crab apple Jelly - 4th
Pepper Jelly - nothing
Plum Jelly - 2nd
Raspberry Jelly - 1st
Strawberry Jelly - 2nd
Cherry-Pomegranate Jelly - 2nd
Cherry Jelly - 2nd

Bread and Butter Pickles - 1st
Watermelon Pickles - nothing (I wouldn't have given them a ribbon,
either)

Peach and Apricot Chutney - 3rd
Corn Relish - 2nd

And then these:
The Alltrista Food Preservation Award (First Place; there appear to be
four categories, each receiving a first place designation) - I hope I'll
find out which jar it was for
The Ball & Kerr Best of Soft Spreads Award - don't know which jar
The Ball & Kerr Best Pickled Foods Award - Can only be for the B&B
Pickles
Third Place for the Gedney Best Flavored Vinegar Cucumber Pickle - B&B's
Third Place for the Gedney Best Fruit Chutney
Third Place for the Gedney Most Outstanding Jams and Preserves

Oh, in the baking class, White Bread received a 4th place prize and the
Girl Brownies won 2nd. The bread prize is a kick because it was the
first loaf of bread I've baked in nearly 2 years. It appears I still
know how. Other breads didn't place (Doorstop Raisin Bread, Herb Bread,
Whole Wheat Bread), nor did the Boy Brownies.

It's good to be me. You can look at all of the results at the MN State
Fair website, www.mnstatefair.org, and work your way through the
competition results for Creative Activities Department.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Jeff Bienstadt

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> As Sam would say: "I so 'cited."
>
> Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> how they fared at the fair (it opened today; Chris and I will head out
> in a couple hours):

[truck-load of awards snipped]

Congratulations, Barb!

Of course, you're sending us all samples, right?

---jkb

--
"Oh! Spoons! Can I assume the potatoes will be mashed tonight?"
-- Bobby Hill

limey

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message

> As Sam would say: "I so 'cited."
>
> Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> how they fared at the fair (it opened today; Chris and I will head out
> in a couple hours):

(in a daze at outcome)

Congratulations! How are you going to stagger home with all those awards?
Wow.

Dora

> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare

tab.

limey

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message

> As Sam would say: "I so 'cited."
>
> Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> how they fared at the fair (it opened today; Chris and I will head out
> in a couple hours):

(in a daze at outcome)

Congratulations! How are you going to stagger home with all those awards?
Wow.

Dora

> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare

tab.

kilikini

"Jeff Bienstadt" > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > As Sam would say: "I so 'cited."
> >
> > Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> > how they fared at the fair (it opened today; Chris and I will head out
> > in a couple hours):
> >

> [truck-load of awards snipped]
>
> Congratulations, Barb!
>
> Of course, you're sending us all samples, right?

No, because she's sending them to ME! LOL. congrats, Barb, way to go!

kili

kilikini

"Jeff Bienstadt" > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > As Sam would say: "I so 'cited."
> >
> > Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> > how they fared at the fair (it opened today; Chris and I will head out
> > in a couple hours):
> >

> [truck-load of awards snipped]
>
> Congratulations, Barb!
>
> Of course, you're sending us all samples, right?

No, because she's sending them to ME! LOL. congrats, Barb, way to go!

kili

Cindy Fuller

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> As Sam would say: "I so 'cited."
>
> Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> how they fared at the fair (it opened today; Chris and I will head out
> in a couple hours):

Prize take snipped

Way to go, Barb! This looks better than last year's haul, IIRC.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Cindy Fuller

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> As Sam would say: "I so 'cited."
>
> Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> how they fared at the fair (it opened today; Chris and I will head out
> in a couple hours):

Prize take snipped

Way to go, Barb! This looks better than last year's haul, IIRC.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Del Cecchi

"Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > As Sam would say: "I so 'cited."
> >
> > Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> > how they fared at the fair (it opened today; Chris and I will head out
> > in a couple hours):
> >

> Prize take snipped
>
> Way to go, Barb! This looks better than last year's haul, IIRC.
>
> Cindy
>
> --
> C.J. Fuller
>
> Delete the obvious to email me

Congratulations!!

Would you post the recipe for the Bread and Butter Pickles? Or is it a
trade secret?

del cecchi

Del Cecchi

"Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > As Sam would say: "I so 'cited."
> >
> > Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> > how they fared at the fair (it opened today; Chris and I will head out
> > in a couple hours):
> >

> Prize take snipped
>
> Way to go, Barb! This looks better than last year's haul, IIRC.
>
> Cindy
>
> --
> C.J. Fuller
>
> Delete the obvious to email me

Congratulations!!

Would you post the recipe for the Bread and Butter Pickles? Or is it a
trade secret?

del cecchi

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Del Cecchi"
> wrote:

> "Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> >
> > > As Sam would say: "I so 'cited."
> > >
> > > Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> > > how they fared at the fair (it opened today; Chris and I will head out
> > > in a couple hours):
> > >

> > Prize take snipped
> >
> > Way to go, Barb! This looks better than last year's haul, IIRC.
> >
> > Cindy
> >
> > --
> > C.J. Fuller
> >
> > Delete the obvious to email me

> Congratulations!!
>
> Would you post the recipe for the Bread and Butter Pickles? Or is it a
> trade secret?
>
> del cecchi

I've posted it a number of times and am happy to do so again:

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Bread & Butter Pickles

Recipe By : Barb Schaller, posted to r.f.cooking 8-26-04
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc.

4 quarts sliced medium cukes (about 25)
3 cups sliced onions (about 4 medium)
2 green peppers -- chopped (or 1 red
and 1 green)
3 cloves garlic -- sliced
1/3 cup canning salt
5 cups sugar
3 cups cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
2 tablespoons mustard seed

Combine cukes, onions, cauliflower, pepper, and garlic. Add salt; cover
with cracked ice; mix thoroughly. Let stand three hours, drain well.
Combine second column ingredients, pour over cuke mixture. Heat just to
a boil. Seal in hot, sterilized jars; process 10 minutes in a boiling
water bath. Yield: 7-8 pints.

Source: Recipe is originally from an old Better Homes & Gardens
cookbook in 1983. My sister Anne adds 1 cup of cauliflowerettes to the
vegetable program.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : Blue Ribbon Winner at the Minnesota State Fair in 1984, 1985,
2001, 2003, 2004. Yee-hah!!
Best of the Pickles in 2001 -- Gedney prize. Ball & Kerr Prize for Best
Pickled Foods 2004; 3rd Place Gedney Prize for Best Flavored Vinegar
Pickle 2004.

_____
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Del Cecchi"
> wrote:

> "Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> >
> > > As Sam would say: "I so 'cited."
> > >
> > > Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> > > how they fared at the fair (it opened today; Chris and I will head out
> > > in a couple hours):
> > >

> > Prize take snipped
> >
> > Way to go, Barb! This looks better than last year's haul, IIRC.
> >
> > Cindy
> >
> > --
> > C.J. Fuller
> >
> > Delete the obvious to email me

> Congratulations!!
>
> Would you post the recipe for the Bread and Butter Pickles? Or is it a
> trade secret?
>
> del cecchi

I've posted it a number of times and am happy to do so again:

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Bread & Butter Pickles

Recipe By : Barb Schaller, posted to r.f.cooking 8-26-04
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc.

4 quarts sliced medium cukes (about 25)
3 cups sliced onions (about 4 medium)
2 green peppers -- chopped (or 1 red
and 1 green)
3 cloves garlic -- sliced
1/3 cup canning salt
5 cups sugar
3 cups cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
2 tablespoons mustard seed

Combine cukes, onions, cauliflower, pepper, and garlic. Add salt; cover
with cracked ice; mix thoroughly. Let stand three hours, drain well.
Combine second column ingredients, pour over cuke mixture. Heat just to
a boil. Seal in hot, sterilized jars; process 10 minutes in a boiling
water bath. Yield: 7-8 pints.

Source: Recipe is originally from an old Better Homes & Gardens
cookbook in 1983. My sister Anne adds 1 cup of cauliflowerettes to the
vegetable program.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : Blue Ribbon Winner at the Minnesota State Fair in 1984, 1985,
2001, 2003, 2004. Yee-hah!!
Best of the Pickles in 2001 -- Gedney prize. Ball & Kerr Prize for Best
Pickled Foods 2004; 3rd Place Gedney Prize for Best Flavored Vinegar
Pickle 2004.

_____
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Del Cecchi"
> wrote:

> "Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> >
> > > As Sam would say: "I so 'cited."
> > >
> > > Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> > > how they fared at the fair (it opened today; Chris and I will head out
> > > in a couple hours):
> > >

> > Prize take snipped
> >
> > Way to go, Barb! This looks better than last year's haul, IIRC.
> >
> > Cindy
> >
> > --
> > C.J. Fuller
> >
> > Delete the obvious to email me

> Congratulations!!
>
> Would you post the recipe for the Bread and Butter Pickles? Or is it a
> trade secret?
>
> del cecchi

I've posted it a number of times and am happy to do so again:

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Bread & Butter Pickles

Recipe By : Barb Schaller, posted to r.f.cooking 8-26-04
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc.

4 quarts sliced medium cukes (about 25)
3 cups sliced onions (about 4 medium)
2 green peppers -- chopped (or 1 red
and 1 green)
3 cloves garlic -- sliced
1/3 cup canning salt
5 cups sugar
3 cups cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
2 tablespoons mustard seed

Combine cukes, onions, cauliflower, pepper, and garlic. Add salt; cover
with cracked ice; mix thoroughly. Let stand three hours, drain well.
Combine second column ingredients, pour over cuke mixture. Heat just to
a boil. Seal in hot, sterilized jars; process 10 minutes in a boiling
water bath. Yield: 7-8 pints.

Source: Recipe is originally from an old Better Homes & Gardens
cookbook in 1983. My sister Anne adds 1 cup of cauliflowerettes to the
vegetable program.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : Blue Ribbon Winner at the Minnesota State Fair in 1984, 1985,
2001, 2003, 2004. Yee-hah!!
Best of the Pickles in 2001 -- Gedney prize. Ball & Kerr Prize for Best
Pickled Foods 2004; 3rd Place Gedney Prize for Best Flavored Vinegar
Pickle 2004.

_____
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Melba's Jammin'

In article > , Dog3
<dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > news:barbscxhaller-
> :
>
> > As Sam would say: "I so 'cited."

(snip self-laudatory list of canning entries and results in Minnesota
State Fair)

> I am in awe milady. You mopped up in ribbons. I'm happy for you. I
> *am* ****ed at the judges over the pepper jelly. It's one of my
> favorites.
>
> Michael

Thank you, Dahling. I AM pleased with the ribbon production! Greatly
pleased. I've not done so well the last couple years. I was almost
thinking it might be time to stop buying sugar and pectin! Now, maybe
not. . . . Don't be upset about the lack of ribbon for the Pepper
Jelly. It was not prizeworthy. Even I knew that.

There's another thing to remember, too (she says ever so modestly) --
many of the lots do not get a lot of entries. E.g., there were only six
jars of corn relish entered -- mine placed second. Maybe 12 jars of
Pepper Jelly. Eight jars of Plum Jelly. OK, there were 18 jars of
fruit chutney entered -- that's a lot. The Gedney folks were putting up
some extra money ($175 total for 3 places) in that lot and those extra
prizes draw competitors. My guess is that in other years, there've not
been more than 8-10 entries in the lot, if that many. It looks like
there were 24 B&B pickle entries -- mine were deemed better than any of
the others! Thirteen jars in the Combination Fruit Jelly lot -- my
Cherry & Pomegranate came in second. Lots entered in the Not Otherwise
Specified lot -- my Cherry Jelly came in second. OTOH, the Strawberry
Jam lot usually gets more than 25 entries (they judge only 25 and
there've been times when mine has not been judged) -- and this year MINE
WON!! Yeay!!
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Melba's Jammin'

In article > , Dog3
<dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > news:barbscxhaller-
> :
>
> > As Sam would say: "I so 'cited."

(snip self-laudatory list of canning entries and results in Minnesota
State Fair)

> I am in awe milady. You mopped up in ribbons. I'm happy for you. I
> *am* ****ed at the judges over the pepper jelly. It's one of my
> favorites.
>
> Michael

Thank you, Dahling. I AM pleased with the ribbon production! Greatly
pleased. I've not done so well the last couple years. I was almost
thinking it might be time to stop buying sugar and pectin! Now, maybe
not. . . . Don't be upset about the lack of ribbon for the Pepper
Jelly. It was not prizeworthy. Even I knew that.

There's another thing to remember, too (she says ever so modestly) --
many of the lots do not get a lot of entries. E.g., there were only six
jars of corn relish entered -- mine placed second. Maybe 12 jars of
Pepper Jelly. Eight jars of Plum Jelly. OK, there were 18 jars of
fruit chutney entered -- that's a lot. The Gedney folks were putting up
some extra money ($175 total for 3 places) in that lot and those extra
prizes draw competitors. My guess is that in other years, there've not
been more than 8-10 entries in the lot, if that many. It looks like
there were 24 B&B pickle entries -- mine were deemed better than any of
the others! Thirteen jars in the Combination Fruit Jelly lot -- my
Cherry & Pomegranate came in second. Lots entered in the Not Otherwise
Specified lot -- my Cherry Jelly came in second. OTOH, the Strawberry
Jam lot usually gets more than 25 entries (they judge only 25 and
there've been times when mine has not been judged) -- and this year MINE
WON!! Yeay!!
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Michael Odom

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:03:50 -0500, Melba's Jammin'

!
>Apricot and Blackberry Jams - nothing

Bums.
>Cherry Jam - 1st
>Peach Jam - 1st

Excellent.
>Raspberry and Apricot-Mango-Pineapple Jams - nothing

More bums
>Strawberry Jam - 1st
>Blackberry Jelly - 1st

More excellent.

!
>Pepper Jelly - nothing

Where did all the bums come from, anyway?
>Plum Jelly - 2nd

!!
>Raspberry Jelly - 1st

Excellentisimo
>Strawberry Jelly - 2nd
>Cherry-Pomegranate Jelly - 2nd
>Cherry Jelly - 2nd

!!
>Bread and Butter Pickles - 1st

Pluperfectly excellentisimo.
>Watermelon Pickles - nothing (I wouldn't have given them a ribbon,
>either)

Barb, don't be such a bum.
>Peach and Apricot Chutney - 3rd
>Corn Relish - 2nd

!!!
>And then these:
>The Alltrista Food Preservation Award (First Place; there appear to be
>four categories, each receiving a first place designation) - I hope I'll
>find out which jar it was for
>The Ball & Kerr Best of Soft Spreads Award - don't know which jar
>The Ball & Kerr Best Pickled Foods Award - Can only be for the B&B
>Pickles
>Third Place for the Gedney Best Flavored Vinegar Cucumber Pickle - B&B's
>Third Place for the Gedney Best Fruit Chutney
>Third Place for the Gedney Most Outstanding Jams and Preserves

Geeze, lady. Save some for the other pepole.
>Oh, in the baking class, White Bread received a 4th place prize and the
>Girl Brownies won 2nd. The bread prize is a kick because it was the
>first loaf of bread I've baked in nearly 2 years. It appears I still
>know how. Other breads didn't place (Doorstop Raisin Bread, Herb Bread,
>Whole Wheat Bread), nor did the Boy Brownies.
>
>It's good to be me. You can look at all of the results at the MN State
>Fair website, www.mnstatefair.org, and work your way through the
>competition results for Creative Activities Department.

Warmest congratulations on a fine sweep of the Minnesota jam and
baking olympics. I'm very happy for you!

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Michael Odom

!
>Apricot and Blackberry Jams - nothing

Bums.
>Cherry Jam - 1st
>Peach Jam - 1st

Excellent.
>Raspberry and Apricot-Mango-Pineapple Jams - nothing

More bums
>Strawberry Jam - 1st
>Blackberry Jelly - 1st

More excellent.

!
>Pepper Jelly - nothing

Where did all the bums come from, anyway?
>Plum Jelly - 2nd

!!
>Raspberry Jelly - 1st

Excellentisimo
>Strawberry Jelly - 2nd
>Cherry-Pomegranate Jelly - 2nd
>Cherry Jelly - 2nd

!!
>Bread and Butter Pickles - 1st

Pluperfectly excellentisimo.
>Watermelon Pickles - nothing (I wouldn't have given them a ribbon,
>either)

Barb, don't be such a bum.
>Peach and Apricot Chutney - 3rd
>Corn Relish - 2nd

!!!
>And then these:
>The Alltrista Food Preservation Award (First Place; there appear to be
>four categories, each receiving a first place designation) - I hope I'll
>find out which jar it was for
>The Ball & Kerr Best of Soft Spreads Award - don't know which jar
>The Ball & Kerr Best Pickled Foods Award - Can only be for the B&B
>Pickles
>Third Place for the Gedney Best Flavored Vinegar Cucumber Pickle - B&B's
>Third Place for the Gedney Best Fruit Chutney
>Third Place for the Gedney Most Outstanding Jams and Preserves

Geeze, lady. Save some for the other pepole.
>Oh, in the baking class, White Bread received a 4th place prize and the
>Girl Brownies won 2nd. The bread prize is a kick because it was the
>first loaf of bread I've baked in nearly 2 years. It appears I still
>know how. Other breads didn't place (Doorstop Raisin Bread, Herb Bread,
>Whole Wheat Bread), nor did the Boy Brownies.
>
>It's good to be me. You can look at all of the results at the MN State
>Fair website, www.mnstatefair.org, and work your way through the
>competition results for Creative Activities Department.

Warmest congratulations on a fine sweep of the Minnesota jam and
baking olympics. I'm very happy for you!

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "limey" >
wrote:
(snip)
> Congratulations! How are you going to stagger home with all those
> awards?
> Wow.

Oh, I'll figure something out. :-) Thanks, Dora.

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Melba's Jammin'

(snip)

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

maxine in ri

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> As Sam would say: "I so 'cited."
>
> Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> how they fared at the fair (it opened today; Chris and I will head out
> in a couple hours):

Criminy! After all these years, where do you find wall space to
display all these ribbons and awards? I'm just grateful there's
only one of you, and she's in Mini soda so folks in the other 50 get
a chance now and then to pick up a ribbon<g>.

Congrats on a darned good showing

maxine in ri
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, maxine in ri
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > As Sam would say: "I so 'cited."
> >
> > Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> > how they fared at the fair (it opened today; Chris and I will head out
> > in a couple hours):
> >

> Criminy! After all these years, where do you find wall space to
> display all these ribbons and awards? I'm just grateful there's
> only one of you, and she's in Mini soda so folks in the other 50 get
> a chance now and then to pick up a ribbon<g>.
>
> Congrats on a darned good showing
>
> maxine in ri

LOL! I don't especially display them. OK, I've got a shelf with some
wood pegs where I usually hang the current or previous year's stuff plus
all the big rosettes that indicate a certain class of greatness (I'm
puking, too!). :-) And I keep those there because every once in a
while I make an appearance for the Gedney folks and like to show the
folks that this ain't no ordinary housewife they're dealing with!
Believe me, there are more accomplished folks than I am, but they don't
hang out here and they're more modest. "Who tooteth not her own horn,
her horn doth not get tooted."

Thanks for the good words, Maxine.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, maxine in ri
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > As Sam would say: "I so 'cited."
> >
> > Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> > how they fared at the fair (it opened today; Chris and I will head out
> > in a couple hours):
> >

> Criminy! After all these years, where do you find wall space to
> display all these ribbons and awards? I'm just grateful there's
> only one of you, and she's in Mini soda so folks in the other 50 get
> a chance now and then to pick up a ribbon<g>.
>
> Congrats on a darned good showing
>
> maxine in ri

LOL! I don't especially display them. OK, I've got a shelf with some
wood pegs where I usually hang the current or previous year's stuff plus
all the big rosettes that indicate a certain class of greatness (I'm
puking, too!). :-) And I keep those there because every once in a
while I make an appearance for the Gedney folks and like to show the
folks that this ain't no ordinary housewife they're dealing with!
Believe me, there are more accomplished folks than I am, but they don't
hang out here and they're more modest. "Who tooteth not her own horn,
her horn doth not get tooted."

Thanks for the good words, Maxine.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Michael Odom
> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:03:50 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >As Sam would say: "I so 'cited."
> >
> >Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> >how they fared at the fair

(snip)
> >Cherry Jam - 1st
> >Peach Jam - 1st

> Excellent.

You have no idea! The Cherry Jam rocks and I was surprised at the Peach
results! A friend trucks the cherries in for me from Door County,
Wisconsin. They're known for them. A couple years ago, my Peach Jam
got the big Gedney prize for best jam or preserve. I wasn't sure about
it this year, because it's always so iffy for me - and I think I used
Georgia peaches instead of Colorados. I'm sure a Georgia peach direct
from tree to mouth is something to behold but these weren't those; and
the Colorados are almost always stellar.

> >Raspberry and Apricot-Mango-Pineapple Jams - nothing

> More bums

Mmmm, maybe. I made two batches. The first one was quite soft. Quite!
Fiddled around with the second batch and increased the pectin and acid.
I'm pretty sure I entered from the second batch. And then discovered
that the first batch did finally set nicely (apricots can take a couple
weeks to set). I think the first batch was superior in taste. Again, I
look forward to reading the scoresheet.

> >Strawberry Jam - 1st
> >Blackberry Jelly - 1st

> More excellent.

Thanks, I've only ever gotten second place with the Blackberry Jelly
before. And never for Strawberry Jam. Usually I make Strawberry Brick
Mortar. Did I mention that my blackberry stuffs are made from frozen
berries from the supermarket?

> >Crab apple Jelly - 4th

> !

Yeah, I thought so, too; I thought my stuff was really tasty, not to
mention gorgeous. Will await the scoresheet.

> >Pepper Jelly - nothing

> Where did all the bums come from, anyway?

Nah, the pepper jelly wasn't all that great - too much stuff in it; more
like pepper jam than jelly.

> >Bread and Butter Pickles - 1st

> Pluperfectly excellentisimo.

You have such a way with words! I'm going to do a tv appearance on
Monday evening and I've been asked to bring some of the B&B's for
tasting. I've got the jar that was judged and will bring some of those
if I can get them away from Rob.

> >Watermelon Pickles - nothing (I wouldn't have given them a ribbon,
> >either)

> Barb, don't be such a bum.

(snip)
No, really. Modesty doesn't become me. When I made them, I didn't
think they tasted clovey enough, so I added more clove oil. Uffda.
Shouldn't a not done that. then I started fiddledicking around with it
to get the clove taste under control but it may have been too late. OK,
it was too late. Plus, I don't know what the winners were like - some
watermelon pickles involve lemons and mine don't. Dunno what the judges
thought was terrific.

> >And then these:

(snip)
> Geeze, lady. Save some for the other pepole.

Bullshit. They kin git their own! "-)

> Warmest congratulations on a fine sweep of the Minnesota jam and
> baking olympics. I'm very happy for you!

Thanks, Michael. I get giddy during the Fair, then I get back to just
normal-dufus mode. This year is fun because I checked and see that I've
never had a year any bluer than this one -- most certainly not one with
all the extra stuff (most of which don't involve any extra money, BTW).

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Michael Odom
> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:03:50 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >As Sam would say: "I so 'cited."
> >
> >Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> >how they fared at the fair

(snip)
> >Cherry Jam - 1st
> >Peach Jam - 1st

> Excellent.

You have no idea! The Cherry Jam rocks and I was surprised at the Peach
results! A friend trucks the cherries in for me from Door County,
Wisconsin. They're known for them. A couple years ago, my Peach Jam
got the big Gedney prize for best jam or preserve. I wasn't sure about
it this year, because it's always so iffy for me - and I think I used
Georgia peaches instead of Colorados. I'm sure a Georgia peach direct
from tree to mouth is something to behold but these weren't those; and
the Colorados are almost always stellar.

> >Raspberry and Apricot-Mango-Pineapple Jams - nothing

> More bums

Mmmm, maybe. I made two batches. The first one was quite soft. Quite!
Fiddled around with the second batch and increased the pectin and acid.
I'm pretty sure I entered from the second batch. And then discovered
that the first batch did finally set nicely (apricots can take a couple
weeks to set). I think the first batch was superior in taste. Again, I
look forward to reading the scoresheet.

> >Strawberry Jam - 1st
> >Blackberry Jelly - 1st

> More excellent.

Thanks, I've only ever gotten second place with the Blackberry Jelly
before. And never for Strawberry Jam. Usually I make Strawberry Brick
Mortar. Did I mention that my blackberry stuffs are made from frozen
berries from the supermarket?

> >Crab apple Jelly - 4th

> !

Yeah, I thought so, too; I thought my stuff was really tasty, not to
mention gorgeous. Will await the scoresheet.

> >Pepper Jelly - nothing

> Where did all the bums come from, anyway?

Nah, the pepper jelly wasn't all that great - too much stuff in it; more
like pepper jam than jelly.

> >Bread and Butter Pickles - 1st

> Pluperfectly excellentisimo.

You have such a way with words! I'm going to do a tv appearance on
Monday evening and I've been asked to bring some of the B&B's for
tasting. I've got the jar that was judged and will bring some of those
if I can get them away from Rob.

> >Watermelon Pickles - nothing (I wouldn't have given them a ribbon,
> >either)

> Barb, don't be such a bum.

(snip)
No, really. Modesty doesn't become me. When I made them, I didn't
think they tasted clovey enough, so I added more clove oil. Uffda.
Shouldn't a not done that. then I started fiddledicking around with it
to get the clove taste under control but it may have been too late. OK,
it was too late. Plus, I don't know what the winners were like - some
watermelon pickles involve lemons and mine don't. Dunno what the judges
thought was terrific.

> >And then these:

(snip)

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Jeff Bienstadt
> wrote:
(snipped)
> Congratulations, Barb!
>
> Of course, you're sending us all samples, right?

In both our dreams, Jeff. Would that I could. The B&Bs are Rob's
favorite pickle and I made only one batch this year - about 6 pints, I
think. Cuke season is flying by and I don't know if I'll get another
batch made. Thanks for the nice words.

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Melba's Jammin'

(snipped)

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Del Cecchi

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> You have such a way with words! I'm going to do a tv appearance on
> Monday evening and I've been asked to bring some of the B&B's for
> tasting. I've got the jar that was judged and will bring some of those
> if I can get them away from Rob.

When y'all gonna be on, and what channel?

I've got a VCR and I know how to program it.

del cecchi

Del Cecchi

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> You have such a way with words! I'm going to do a tv appearance on
> Monday evening and I've been asked to bring some of the B&B's for
> tasting. I've got the jar that was judged and will bring some of those
> if I can get them away from Rob.

When y'all gonna be on, and what channel?

I've got a VCR and I know how to program it.

del cecchi

Del Cecchi

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> You have such a way with words! I'm going to do a tv appearance on
> Monday evening and I've been asked to bring some of the B&B's for
> tasting. I've got the jar that was judged and will bring some of those
> if I can get them away from Rob.

When y'all gonna be on, and what channel?

I've got a VCR and I know how to program it.

del cecchi

Dimitri

Wow!

We need think of a new title.

"Your Blue-ribbon-ship"

Congratulations to a hardworking and deserving person,

Dimitri

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> As Sam would say: "I so 'cited."
>
> Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> how they fared at the fair (it opened today; Chris and I will head out
> in a couple hours):

<snip>

Dimitri

Wow!

We need think of a new title.

"Your Blue-ribbon-ship"

Congratulations to a hardworking and deserving person,

Dimitri

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> As Sam would say: "I so 'cited."
>
> Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> how they fared at the fair (it opened today; Chris and I will head out
> in a couple hours):

<snip>

Dimitri

Wow!

We need think of a new title.

"Your Blue-ribbon-ship"

Congratulations to a hardworking and deserving person,

Dimitri

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> As Sam would say: "I so 'cited."
>
> Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> how they fared at the fair (it opened today; Chris and I will head out
> in a couple hours):

<snip>

Orion

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message >...
> As Sam would say: "I so 'cited."
>
> Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> how they fared at the fair (it opened today; Chris and I will head out
> in a couple hours):
>
> Apricot Butter - 4th
>
> Apricot and Blackberry Jams - nothing
> Cherry Jam - 1st
> Peach Jam - 1st
> Raspberry and Apricot-Mango-Pineapple Jams - nothing
> Strawberry Jam - 1st
>
> Blackberry Jelly - 1st
> Crab apple Jelly - 4th
> Pepper Jelly - nothing
> Plum Jelly - 2nd
> Raspberry Jelly - 1st
> Strawberry Jelly - 2nd
> Cherry-Pomegranate Jelly - 2nd
> Cherry Jelly - 2nd
>
> Bread and Butter Pickles - 1st
> Watermelon Pickles - nothing (I wouldn't have given them a ribbon,
> either)
>
> Peach and Apricot Chutney - 3rd
> Corn Relish - 2nd
>
> And then these:
> The Alltrista Food Preservation Award (First Place; there appear to be
> four categories, each receiving a first place designation) - I hope I'll
> find out which jar it was for
> The Ball & Kerr Best of Soft Spreads Award - don't know which jar
> The Ball & Kerr Best Pickled Foods Award - Can only be for the B&B
> Pickles
> Third Place for the Gedney Best Flavored Vinegar Cucumber Pickle - B&B's
> Third Place for the Gedney Best Fruit Chutney
> Third Place for the Gedney Most Outstanding Jams and Preserves
>
> Oh, in the baking class, White Bread received a 4th place prize and the
> Girl Brownies won 2nd. The bread prize is a kick because it was the
> first loaf of bread I've baked in nearly 2 years. It appears I still
> know how. Other breads didn't place (Doorstop Raisin Bread, Herb Bread,
> Whole Wheat Bread), nor did the Boy Brownies.
>
> It's good to be me. You can look at all of the results at the MN State
> Fair website, www.mnstatefair.org, and work your way through the
> competition results for Creative Activities Department.

FANTASICO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to clean up almost everything. This says
a lot about your skills.

Suzan

Orion

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message >...
> As Sam would say: "I so 'cited."
>
> Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> how they fared at the fair (it opened today; Chris and I will head out
> in a couple hours):
>
> Apricot Butter - 4th
>
> Apricot and Blackberry Jams - nothing
> Cherry Jam - 1st
> Peach Jam - 1st
> Raspberry and Apricot-Mango-Pineapple Jams - nothing
> Strawberry Jam - 1st
>
> Blackberry Jelly - 1st
> Crab apple Jelly - 4th
> Pepper Jelly - nothing
> Plum Jelly - 2nd
> Raspberry Jelly - 1st
> Strawberry Jelly - 2nd
> Cherry-Pomegranate Jelly - 2nd
> Cherry Jelly - 2nd
>
> Bread and Butter Pickles - 1st
> Watermelon Pickles - nothing (I wouldn't have given them a ribbon,
> either)
>
> Peach and Apricot Chutney - 3rd
> Corn Relish - 2nd
>
> And then these:
> The Alltrista Food Preservation Award (First Place; there appear to be
> four categories, each receiving a first place designation) - I hope I'll
> find out which jar it was for
> The Ball & Kerr Best of Soft Spreads Award - don't know which jar
> The Ball & Kerr Best Pickled Foods Award - Can only be for the B&B
> Pickles
> Third Place for the Gedney Best Flavored Vinegar Cucumber Pickle - B&B's
> Third Place for the Gedney Best Fruit Chutney
> Third Place for the Gedney Most Outstanding Jams and Preserves
>
> Oh, in the baking class, White Bread received a 4th place prize and the
> Girl Brownies won 2nd. The bread prize is a kick because it was the
> first loaf of bread I've baked in nearly 2 years. It appears I still
> know how. Other breads didn't place (Doorstop Raisin Bread, Herb Bread,
> Whole Wheat Bread), nor did the Boy Brownies.
>
> It's good to be me. You can look at all of the results at the MN State
> Fair website, www.mnstatefair.org, and work your way through the
> competition results for Creative Activities Department.

FANTASICO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to clean up almost everything. This says
a lot about your skills.

Suzan
Orion

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message >...
> As Sam would say: "I so 'cited."
>
> Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> how they fared at the fair (it opened today; Chris and I will head out
> in a couple hours):
>
> Apricot Butter - 4th
>
> Apricot and Blackberry Jams - nothing
> Cherry Jam - 1st
> Peach Jam - 1st
> Raspberry and Apricot-Mango-Pineapple Jams - nothing
> Strawberry Jam - 1st
>
> Blackberry Jelly - 1st
> Crab apple Jelly - 4th
> Pepper Jelly - nothing
> Plum Jelly - 2nd
> Raspberry Jelly - 1st
> Strawberry Jelly - 2nd
> Cherry-Pomegranate Jelly - 2nd
> Cherry Jelly - 2nd
>
> Bread and Butter Pickles - 1st
> Watermelon Pickles - nothing (I wouldn't have given them a ribbon,
> either)
>
> Peach and Apricot Chutney - 3rd
> Corn Relish - 2nd
>
> And then these:
> The Alltrista Food Preservation Award (First Place; there appear to be
> four categories, each receiving a first place designation) - I hope I'll
> find out which jar it was for
> The Ball & Kerr Best of Soft Spreads Award - don't know which jar
> The Ball & Kerr Best Pickled Foods Award - Can only be for the B&B
> Pickles
> Third Place for the Gedney Best Flavored Vinegar Cucumber Pickle - B&B's
> Third Place for the Gedney Best Fruit Chutney
> Third Place for the Gedney Most Outstanding Jams and Preserves
>
> Oh, in the baking class, White Bread received a 4th place prize and the
> Girl Brownies won 2nd. The bread prize is a kick because it was the
> first loaf of bread I've baked in nearly 2 years. It appears I still
> know how. Other breads didn't place (Doorstop Raisin Bread, Herb Bread,
> Whole Wheat Bread), nor did the Boy Brownies.
>
> It's good to be me. You can look at all of the results at the MN State
> Fair website, www.mnstatefair.org, and work your way through the
> competition results for Creative Activities Department.

FANTASICO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to clean up almost everything. This says
a lot about your skills.

Suzan
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Del Cecchi"
> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> >
> > You have such a way with words! I'm going to do a tv appearance on
> > Monday evening and I've been asked to bring some of the B&B's for
> > tasting. I've got the jar that was judged and will bring some of those
> > if I can get them away from Rob.

> When y'all gonna be on, and what channel?
>
> I've got a VCR and I know how to program it.
>
> del cecchi

Minneapolis. Channel 4 (CBS). 6:00 p.m. news, Monday, the 30th. Don't
know when during the broadcast. Where are you, Del? Rochester?
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Dimitri

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> As Sam would say: "I so 'cited."
>
> Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> how they fared at the fair (it opened today; Chris and I will head out
> in a couple hours):
>
> Apricot Butter - 4th

Blatant favoritism - this one should be made available commercially.

Dimitri

Dimitri