Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general
[email protected] docsloki@aol.com is offline

Default The 14th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report - long

On Aug 22, 3:45*pm, "Anny Middon" >
wrote:
> "AnnE" > wrote in message
>
> . ..
>

> > "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> >> I have and I may. *Tomatoes are late this year. *There's still time. :-)
> >> --
> >> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> >>http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and
> >> most recently updated last night, 8-17-2008. *Fair entries are DONE!

> > Our tomatoes are not very good this year. *Cherry tommies are super but I
> > make BLTs a lot and those don't work very well. *<g>

> Alton Brown did a Good Eats episode on tomatoes, and said that cherry
> tomatoes (or maybe it was grape tomatoes) made the best BLT. *Then he made a
> BLT salad with them, which I think was sorta cheating.
>
> But it did get me thinking -- why not chop the tomatoes and mix them with
> the mayo? *Sandwich texture would be a tad different, but I'll bet it would
> taste pretty darn good.
>
> Anny- Hide quoted text -

I made that recipe for BLT salad but I think he called it something
else. Anyway, it was good but I prefer a peppercorn ranch dressing to
his vinagrette and I like them better all fresh rather than half
carmelized.

I've been overrun by grape tomatoes from the garden. The Roma's are
coming in slowly but the big tomatoes are just not happy this year for
some reason. It's been colder and was way cold in early summer so
that may be it and they'll be along later on. There is still plenty of
time...

Loki