Melba's Jammin'

Default LONG: The Ninth Annual Schaller State Fair Ribbon Report - Color me Red, White, and Mostly BLUE!

My beloved granddaughter would say this: "I so 'cited."

Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
how they fared at the fair:

Apricot Butter - 4th
Apricot and Blackberry Jams - nothing
Cherry Jam - 1st
Peach Jam - 1st
Raspberry and Apricot-Mango-Pineapple Jams - nothing
Strawberry Jam - 1st

Blackberry Jelly - 1st
Crab apple Jelly - 4th
Pepper Jelly - nothing
Plum Jelly - 2nd
Raspberry Jelly - 1st
Strawberry Jelly - 2nd
Cherry-Pomegranate Jelly - 2nd
Cherry Jelly - 2nd

Bread and Butter Pickles - 1st
Watermelon Pickles - nothing (I wouldn't have given them a ribbon,
either)

Peach and Apricot Chutney - 3rd
Corn Relish - 2nd

And then these:
The Alltrista Food Preservation Award (First Place; there appear to be
four categories, each receiving a first place designation) - I hope I'll
find out which jar it was for
The Ball & Kerr Best of Soft Spreads Award - don't know which jar
The Ball & Kerr Best Pickled Foods Award - Can only be for the B&B
Pickles
Third Place for the Gedney Best Flavored Vinegar Cucumber Pickle - B&B's
Third Place for the Gedney Best Fruit Chutney
Third Place for the Gedney Most Outstanding Jams and Preserves

Oh, in the baking class, White Bread received a 4th place prize and the
Girl Brownies won 2nd. The bread prize is a kick because it was the
first loaf of bread I've baked in nearly 2 years. It appears I still
know how. Other breads didn't place (Doorstop Raisin Bread, Herb Bread,
Whole Wheat Bread), nor did the Boy Brownies.

It's good to be me. You can look at all of the results at the MN State
Fair website, www.mnstatefair.org, and work your way through the
competition results for Creative Activities Department.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

The Joneses

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> My beloved granddaughter would say this: "I so 'cited."
> Snipped truly faboulous achievements...

We're 'cited and so proud of you, too. You've been an inspiration to me. I'll be
entering my first, the Dona Ana Southwest New Mexico fair in October.
Edrena

The Joneses

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> My beloved granddaughter would say this: "I so 'cited."
> Snipped truly faboulous achievements...

We're 'cited and so proud of you, too. You've been an inspiration to me. I'll be
entering my first, the Dona Ana Southwest New Mexico fair in October.
Edrena

SCUBApix

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> My beloved granddaughter would say this: "I so 'cited."

Barb,
Great showing. I have gone to 2 county fairs this year and was thinking next
year I would enter just for kicks. But at both fairs I attended, I found out
that they don't open the jars of stuff to taste, they just look at it. Is
that how all fairs jusdge preserved things? Seems like a strange way to me,
but what do I know.

Anyway, crongrats again.

SCUBApix

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> My beloved granddaughter would say this: "I so 'cited."

Barb,
Great showing. I have gone to 2 county fairs this year and was thinking next
year I would enter just for kicks. But at both fairs I attended, I found out
that they don't open the jars of stuff to taste, they just look at it. Is
that how all fairs jusdge preserved things? Seems like a strange way to me,
but what do I know.

Anyway, crongrats again.

Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> My beloved granddaughter would say this: "I so 'cited."
>
> Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> how they fared at the fair:

<snip list of distinction>

Way to go !! I doubt I'll ever enter anything similar in this lifetime but
you are still an inspiration !

Rachael

Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> My beloved granddaughter would say this: "I so 'cited."
>
> Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> how they fared at the fair:

<snip list of distinction>

Way to go !! I doubt I'll ever enter anything similar in this lifetime but
you are still an inspiration !

Rachael

Bob (this one)

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> My beloved granddaughter would say this: "I so 'cited."
>
> Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> how they fared at the fair:

These are very nice awards and I know you worked hard. Did you use all
my recipes like I told you?

No need to tell everyone that I'm really the brains behind your
success. I'm nothing if not modest.

No, seriously...

Pastorio

> Apricot Butter - 4th
> Apricot and Blackberry Jams - nothing
> Cherry Jam - 1st
> Peach Jam - 1st
> Raspberry and Apricot-Mango-Pineapple Jams - nothing
> Strawberry Jam - 1st
>
> Blackberry Jelly - 1st
> Crab apple Jelly - 4th
> Pepper Jelly - nothing
> Plum Jelly - 2nd
> Raspberry Jelly - 1st
> Strawberry Jelly - 2nd
> Cherry-Pomegranate Jelly - 2nd
> Cherry Jelly - 2nd
>
> Bread and Butter Pickles - 1st
> Watermelon Pickles - nothing (I wouldn't have given them a ribbon,
> either)
>
> Peach and Apricot Chutney - 3rd
> Corn Relish - 2nd
>
> And then these:
> The Alltrista Food Preservation Award (First Place; there appear to be
> four categories, each receiving a first place designation) - I hope I'll
> find out which jar it was for
> The Ball & Kerr Best of Soft Spreads Award - don't know which jar
> The Ball & Kerr Best Pickled Foods Award - Can only be for the B&B
> Pickles
> Third Place for the Gedney Best Flavored Vinegar Cucumber Pickle - B&B's
> Third Place for the Gedney Best Fruit Chutney
> Third Place for the Gedney Most Outstanding Jams and Preserves
>
> Oh, in the baking class, White Bread received a 4th place prize and the
> Girl Brownies won 2nd. The bread prize is a kick because it was the
> first loaf of bread I've baked in nearly 2 years. It appears I still
> know how. Other breads didn't place (Doorstop Raisin Bread, Herb Bread,
> Whole Wheat Bread), nor did the Boy Brownies.
>
> It's good to be me. You can look at all of the results at the MN State
> Fair website, www.mnstatefair.org, and work your way through the
> competition results for Creative Activities Department.

Bob (this one)

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> My beloved granddaughter would say this: "I so 'cited."
>
> Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> how they fared at the fair:

These are very nice awards and I know you worked hard. Did you use all
my recipes like I told you?

No need to tell everyone that I'm really the brains behind your
success. I'm nothing if not modest.

No, seriously...

Pastorio

> Apricot Butter - 4th
> Apricot and Blackberry Jams - nothing
> Cherry Jam - 1st
> Peach Jam - 1st
> Raspberry and Apricot-Mango-Pineapple Jams - nothing
> Strawberry Jam - 1st
>
> Blackberry Jelly - 1st
> Crab apple Jelly - 4th
> Pepper Jelly - nothing
> Plum Jelly - 2nd
> Raspberry Jelly - 1st
> Strawberry Jelly - 2nd
> Cherry-Pomegranate Jelly - 2nd
> Cherry Jelly - 2nd
>
> Bread and Butter Pickles - 1st
> Watermelon Pickles - nothing (I wouldn't have given them a ribbon,
> either)
>
> Peach and Apricot Chutney - 3rd
> Corn Relish - 2nd
>
> And then these:
> The Alltrista Food Preservation Award (First Place; there appear to be
> four categories, each receiving a first place designation) - I hope I'll
> find out which jar it was for
> The Ball & Kerr Best of Soft Spreads Award - don't know which jar
> The Ball & Kerr Best Pickled Foods Award - Can only be for the B&B
> Pickles
> Third Place for the Gedney Best Flavored Vinegar Cucumber Pickle - B&B's
> Third Place for the Gedney Best Fruit Chutney
> Third Place for the Gedney Most Outstanding Jams and Preserves
>
> Oh, in the baking class, White Bread received a 4th place prize and the
> Girl Brownies won 2nd. The bread prize is a kick because it was the
> first loaf of bread I've baked in nearly 2 years. It appears I still
> know how. Other breads didn't place (Doorstop Raisin Bread, Herb Bread,
> Whole Wheat Bread), nor did the Boy Brownies.
>
> It's good to be me. You can look at all of the results at the MN State
> Fair website, www.mnstatefair.org, and work your way through the
> competition results for Creative Activities Department.

The Cook

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

>My beloved granddaughter would say this: "I so 'cited."
>
>Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
>how they fared at the fair:

Congratulations on all of your wins. Have a good time while Chris is
there.
--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

The Cook

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

>My beloved granddaughter would say this: "I so 'cited."
>
>Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
>how they fared at the fair:

Congratulations on all of your wins. Have a good time while Chris is
there.
--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
William R. Watt

Melba's Jammin' ) writes:
> My beloved granddaughter would say this: "I so 'cited."
>
> Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> how they fared at the fair:

The whole state? That's impressive.

Do you move on to the nationals now?

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
William R. Watt

Melba's Jammin' ) writes:
> My beloved granddaughter would say this: "I so 'cited."
>
> Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> how they fared at the fair:

The whole state? That's impressive.

Do you move on to the nationals now?

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
William R. Watt

"SCUBApix" ) writes:
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> My beloved granddaughter would say this: "I so 'cited."
>>

> Barb,
> Great showing. I have gone to 2 county fairs this year and was thinking next
> year I would enter just for kicks. But at both fairs I attended, I found out
> that they don't open the jars of stuff to taste, they just look at it. Is
> that how all fairs jusdge preserved things? Seems like a strange way to me,
> but what do I know.
>
> Anyway, crongrats again.

the scoring for jams, perserves, and marmelade at the village fair near
here is
30% general appearance
30% texture
40% flavour
disqualified if not sealed with new lids only
Jam - soft, spreadable, no separatiojn of fruit and juice
Jelly - clear
Marmelade - must have at least on citrus fruit or jucie

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
William R. Watt

"SCUBApix" ) writes:
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> My beloved granddaughter would say this: "I so 'cited."
>>

> Barb,
> Great showing. I have gone to 2 county fairs this year and was thinking next
> year I would enter just for kicks. But at both fairs I attended, I found out
> that they don't open the jars of stuff to taste, they just look at it. Is
> that how all fairs jusdge preserved things? Seems like a strange way to me,
> but what do I know.
>
> Anyway, crongrats again.

the scoring for jams, perserves, and marmelade at the village fair near
here is
30% general appearance
30% texture
40% flavour
disqualified if not sealed with new lids only
Jam - soft, spreadable, no separatiojn of fruit and juice
Jelly - clear
Marmelade - must have at least on citrus fruit or jucie

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Bob (this one)"
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> > how they fared at the fair:

> These are very nice awards and I know you worked hard. Did you use all
> my recipes like I told you?

Only the one for the Watermelon Pickles (see below).

> No need to tell everyone that I'm really the brains behind your
> success. I'm nothing if not modest.

It'll be our little secret.

> No, seriously...

Like you've ever been serious in your life! Tell the kid I said hello.
And tell the missus I continue to pray for her every day.

> Pastorio

(snip of results but this one)

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Bob (this one)"
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> > how they fared at the fair:

> These are very nice awards and I know you worked hard. Did you use all
> my recipes like I told you?

Only the one for the Watermelon Pickles (see below).

> No need to tell everyone that I'm really the brains behind your
> success. I'm nothing if not modest.

It'll be our little secret.

> No, seriously...

Like you've ever been serious in your life! Tell the kid I said hello.
And tell the missus I continue to pray for her every day.

> Pastorio

(snip of results but this one)

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Anny Middon

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> My beloved granddaughter would say this: "I so 'cited."
>
> Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> how they fared at the fair:

Woo-hoo, Barb!! I'm so 'cited for you! Not only terrific (and
envy-inspiring) results in terms of individual ribbons, but the Alltrista
Food Preservation award, two Ball & Kerr Best awards, and three Gedney Best
awards!!!!!! WOW!!!!!

If you have the time and the inclination, I really think you should start
teaching jam and pickle classes as you mentioned some time ago. People with
your skills are a national treasure in what is sadly a declining artform,
and I think you should if possible share your knowledge with your community.

Okay, I'm getting off my soapbox now.

Anny

Anny Middon

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> My beloved granddaughter would say this: "I so 'cited."
>
> Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> how they fared at the fair:

Woo-hoo, Barb!! I'm so 'cited for you! Not only terrific (and
envy-inspiring) results in terms of individual ribbons, but the Alltrista
Food Preservation award, two Ball & Kerr Best awards, and three Gedney Best
awards!!!!!! WOW!!!!!

If you have the time and the inclination, I really think you should start
teaching jam and pickle classes as you mentioned some time ago. People with
your skills are a national treasure in what is sadly a declining artform,
and I think you should if possible share your knowledge with your community.

Okay, I'm getting off my soapbox now.

Anny

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Anny
Middon" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > My beloved granddaughter would say this: "I so 'cited."
> >
> > Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair
> > and how they fared at the fair:

> Woo-hoo, Barb!! I'm so 'cited for you! Not only terrific (and
> envy-inspiring) results in terms of individual ribbons, but the
> Alltrista Food Preservation award, two Ball & Kerr Best awards, and
> three Gedney Best awards!!!!!! WOW!!!!!
>
> If you have the time and the inclination, I really think you should
> start teaching jam and pickle classes as you mentioned some time ago.
> People with your skills are a national treasure in what is sadly a
> declining artform, and I think you should if possible share your
> knowledge with your community.

> Okay, I'm getting off my soapbox now.

> Anny

Oh, Anny, bless your heart. I actually have thought about teaching some
classes. My local community ed coordinator has been after me for years
to teach something else I do and it's just never appealed to me. This
does.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Anny
Middon" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > My beloved granddaughter would say this: "I so 'cited."
> >
> > Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair
> > and how they fared at the fair:

> Woo-hoo, Barb!! I'm so 'cited for you! Not only terrific (and
> envy-inspiring) results in terms of individual ribbons, but the
> Alltrista Food Preservation award, two Ball & Kerr Best awards, and
> three Gedney Best awards!!!!!! WOW!!!!!
>
> If you have the time and the inclination, I really think you should
> start teaching jam and pickle classes as you mentioned some time ago.
> People with your skills are a national treasure in what is sadly a
> declining artform, and I think you should if possible share your
> knowledge with your community.

> Okay, I'm getting off my soapbox now.

> Anny

Oh, Anny, bless your heart. I actually have thought about teaching some
classes. My local community ed coordinator has been after me for years
to teach something else I do and it's just never appealed to me. This
does.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Mapickle

>But at both fairs I attended, I found out
>that they don't open the jars of stuff to taste, they just look at it. Is
>that how all fairs jusdge preserved things? Seems like a strange way to me,
>but what do I know.

Whether or not to open/taste is usually up to the judge tho some fairs no
longer aloow it due to fears of poisoning etc. Washington State Fair Board
recommended several years back that nothing be tasted. It is more fun to
taste, especially pickles, but let me tell you after a while tasting jelly/.jam
you get rather tasted out.

There are times when things look nice but when you taste them they are rather
dreadful, I've tasted some really awful pickles in my time.....

Ingrid

Mapickle

>But at both fairs I attended, I found out
>that they don't open the jars of stuff to taste, they just look at it. Is
>that how all fairs jusdge preserved things? Seems like a strange way to me,
>but what do I know.

Whether or not to open/taste is usually up to the judge tho some fairs no
longer aloow it due to fears of poisoning etc. Washington State Fair Board
recommended several years back that nothing be tasted. It is more fun to
taste, especially pickles, but let me tell you after a while tasting jelly/.jam
you get rather tasted out.

There are times when things look nice but when you taste them they are rather
dreadful, I've tasted some really awful pickles in my time.....

Ingrid

Mapickle