Posted to rec.food.preserving
[email protected] docsloki@aol.com is offline

Default The 14th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report - long

On Aug 26, 6:18*pm, George Shirley > wrote:
> wrote:
> > On Aug 22, 3:45 pm, "Anny Middon" >
> > wrote:
> >> "AnnE" > wrote in message

> m...

> >> Alton Brown did a Good Eats episode on tomatoes, and said that cherry
> >> tomatoes (or maybe it was grape tomatoes) made the best BLT. *Then he made a
> >> BLT salad with them, which I think was sorta cheating.

> >> But it did get me thinking -- why not chop the tomatoes and mix them with
> >> the mayo? *Sandwich texture would be a tad different, but I'll bet it would
> >> taste pretty darn good.

> >> Anny- Hide quoted text -

> > I made that recipe for BLT salad but I think he called it something
> > else. *Anyway, it was good but I prefer a peppercorn ranch dressing to
> > his vinagrette and I like them better all fresh rather than half
> > carmelized.

> > I've been overrun by grape tomatoes from the garden. *The Roma's are
> > coming in slowly but the big tomatoes are just not happy this year for
> > some reason. *It's been colder and was way cold in early summer so
> > that may be it and they'll be along later on. There is still plenty of
> > time...

> >Loki

> Is that youLoki? Long time no hear from.
>
> George- Hide quoted text -

Yep, it's me. We have finally (I hope) settled in the Ozarks in
Missouri. I'm happy here. We have some acreage and a nice big
"pond" (Ok, so it's more than an acre and has an island in it) and
plenty of room for the doggies to run. I've got a small garden this
year, about enough to use fresh but not enough to put anything by.
That is for next year.

Took me a long time to find a newsfeed out here. I finally gave up
and am using Google Groups.

Chuck is doing well at a nice large hospital here. Seems like he'll
start working directly with the ambulance crews and the helicopter
folks pretty soon so he's in heaven. LOL.

I saw your post on the hurricane. Damn, seems like anyone down there
has the drill down pat these days. We do too even though we left
after Rita. Folks around here are amazed at the stuff we seem to have
- generator, emergency supplies, food, water, even emergency stuff for
the dogs and cats. Sad thing is we've used them up here too when we
were in St Louis and they had 4 weeks that year without electricity
due to storms in the summer and ice in the winter.

How are the little dog and the wife doing? Heck, how are YOU
doing????

Loki