Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default The 14th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report - long

In article >,
"catpandaddy" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "AnnE" > wrote:
> >
> >> AnnE how come you never do tomato jam?

> > I have and I may. Tomatoes are late this year. There's still time. :-)

> Is tomato jam done up sweet like fruit preserves or salty like Italian
> sauces?

IME, mostly sweet and usually with sweet spices (cinnamon, clove, and/or
allspice).

I'm thinking about Mark Bittman's recipe from the NYTimes , 8//19/2008
and it has
€ 1-1/2 lbs. good ripe tomatoes (Roma are best), cored and coarsely
chopped
€ 1 cup sugar
€ 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
€ 1 tablespoon fresh grated or minced ginger
€ 1 teaspoon ground cumin
€ 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
€ 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
€ 1 teaspoon salt
€ 1 jalapeρo or other peppers, stemmed, seeded and minced, or red
pepper flakes or cayenne to taste.

I've another recipe I have made but would have to look for it.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, and here's the link to my appearance