Old 08-06-2006, 09:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Weird Question......Asparagus

I have some asparagus that really needs to get cooked TODAY. I'm thinking
of baking it in a dish, drizzling it with some lemon garlic butter and then
finishing it with a broil of breadcrumbs mixed with parmesan cheese.

Overkill?

I've never baked asparagus before; only steamed.

Should I steam it first or do you think I can just go ahead and bake it? If
I just go ahead and bake it, what temp do you think would work best? 350 F?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

kili

Old 08-06-2006, 09:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 20:30:27 GMT, "kilikini"
wrote:

I have some asparagus that really needs to get cooked TODAY. I'm thinking
of baking it in a dish, drizzling it with some lemon garlic butter and then
finishing it with a broil of breadcrumbs mixed with parmesan cheese.

Overkill?

I've never baked asparagus before; only steamed.

Should I steam it first or do you think I can just go ahead and bake it? If
I just go ahead and bake it, what temp do you think would work best? 350 F?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

kili

I like to roast it in olive oil and then add parmesan cheese and
balsamic vinegar.
--
Susan N.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 08 Jun 2006 01:30:27p, kilikini meant to say...

I have some asparagus that really needs to get cooked TODAY. I'm
thinking of baking it in a dish, drizzling it with some lemon garlic
butter and then finishing it with a broil of breadcrumbs mixed with
parmesan cheese.

Overkill?

I've never baked asparagus before; only steamed.

Should I steam it first or do you think I can just go ahead and bake it?
If I just go ahead and bake it, what temp do you think would work best?
350 F?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

kili

You don't need to steam it first, regardless of how you finish it in the
oven. I generally just toss with olive oil, sprinkle with a bit of
granulated garlic and herbs, then put under the broiler 5-10 minutes, or
until it shrivels and browns a bit. I would sprinkle with lemon juice and
cheese just near the end.

--
Wayne Boatwright @@
_____________________
Old 08-06-2006, 09:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote in message
28.19...
[...]

Thanks, Wayne. I appreciate the help.

kili

Old 08-06-2006, 09:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I have some asparagus that really needs to get cooked TODAY. I'm

thinking
of baking it in a dish, drizzling it with some lemon garlic butter and

then
finishing it with a broil of breadcrumbs mixed with parmesan cheese.

Overkill?

I've never baked asparagus before; only steamed.

Should I steam it first or do you think I can just go ahead and bake it?

If
I just go ahead and bake it, what temp do you think would work best? 350

F?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

kili

I like to roast it in olive oil and then add parmesan cheese and
balsamic vinegar.
--

So you add that after the cooking?

kili

Old 08-06-2006, 10:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 08 Jun 2006 01:53:46p, kilikini meant to say...

[...]

You're very welcome.

--
Wayne Boatwright @@
_____________________
Old 08-06-2006, 11:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
I have some asparagus that really needs to get cooked TODAY. I'm thinking
of baking it in a dish, drizzling it with some lemon garlic butter and then
finishing it with a broil of breadcrumbs mixed with parmesan cheese.

Overkill?

I've never made it exactly like that, but with those great ingredients,
how bad could it be? Asparagus is very forgiving when you roast it --
you can use whatever temperature you're using for other food you might
be cooking. If I want it done fast I'll roast at 400 or 425, but 350
gets the job done too, just takes a little longer. Absolutely no need
to steam first. I always line my baking sheet with aluminum foil -- no
clean up required!

Sandy

Old 08-06-2006, 11:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
oups.com...

kilikini wrote:
I have some asparagus that really needs to get cooked TODAY. I'm

thinking
of baking it in a dish, drizzling it with some lemon garlic butter and

then
finishing it with a broil of breadcrumbs mixed with parmesan cheese.

Overkill?

I've never made it exactly like that, but with those great ingredients,
how bad could it be? Asparagus is very forgiving when you roast it --
you can use whatever temperature you're using for other food you might
be cooking. If I want it done fast I'll roast at 400 or 425, but 350
gets the job done too, just takes a little longer. Absolutely no need
to steam first. I always line my baking sheet with aluminum foil -- no
clean up required!

Sandy

Thanks, Sandy! I forgot to ask my hubby to pick up foil on his way home,
because I always line my pans, too. Thus, I'm out of foil. :~)

Okay, I think I'm going to start preparing my asparagus. Wish I knew what
meat the DH is bringing home for dinner, but I warned him I was making the
asparagus. Hopefully he'll be smart enough to bring something that "goes",
you know what I mean? LOL

kili

Old 09-06-2006, 02:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

kilikini wrote:
[...]

"Goes" with, yeah, that's the ticket John and I had fun going to the
grocery store several times on our trip figuring out what "goes". We're
good like that.

Jill

Old 09-06-2006, 03:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
I have some asparagus

I thought from the header this was going to be a question about
"asparagus pee".
http://www.discovery.com/area/skinny...5/skinny1.html

Old 09-06-2006, 03:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com,
"Budd Tugley" wrote:

kilikini wrote:
I have some asparagus

I thought from the header this was going to be a question about
"asparagus pee".
http://www.discovery.com/area/skinny...5/skinny1.html

That's been disgust here at length in the past...... ;-)
(misspell was intentional)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 09-06-2006, 03:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" wrote in message
news
I have some asparagus that really needs to get cooked TODAY. I'm thinking
of baking it in a dish, drizzling it with some lemon garlic butter and then
finishing it with a broil of breadcrumbs mixed with parmesan cheese.

Overkill?

I've never baked asparagus before; only steamed.

Should I steam it first or do you think I can just go ahead and bake it? If
I just go ahead and bake it, what temp do you think would work best? 350 F?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

kili

Sounds tasty to me!
I love roasted asparagus, I do that at 425* f.

kimberly

Old 09-06-2006, 04:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote on 08 Jun 2006 in rec.food.cooking

I have some asparagus that really needs to get cooked TODAY. I'm
thinking of baking it in a dish, drizzling it with some lemon garlic
butter and then finishing it with a broil of breadcrumbs mixed with
parmesan cheese.

Overkill?

I've never baked asparagus before; only steamed.

Should I steam it first or do you think I can just go ahead and bake
it? If I just go ahead and bake it, what temp do you think would work
best? 350 F?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

kili

I grill mine...over a very hot grill. Toss the asparague in oil and
course salt, then on to the grill. Takes maybe 5-7 minutes for a lb. soon
as grill marks and a little steam come outa the cut end it's done.

There should be enough salt so the aparagus is almost pretzel like with
salt. Maybe 3 tbsp of oil enough to just hold on the salt. I prefer
canola oil but any oil will work.

--
-Alan
Old 09-06-2006, 05:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

kili wrote:

Okay, I think I'm going to start preparing my asparagus. Wish I knew what
meat the DH is bringing home for dinner, but I warned him I was making the
asparagus. Hopefully he'll be smart enough to bring something that
"goes", you know what I mean? LOL

I'm rather hard-pressed to think of a meat that inherently clashes with
asparagus. What DOESN'T go? If he brought home something that was already
prepared, e.g., a big pot of chili, maybe that wouldn't go. But in raw form,
I really can't think of any meat which can't be prepared in a way compatible
with asparagus as a side dish. (My ruminations included things like chicken
gizzards, tripe, octopus, and hog snouts, as well as more-mainstream cuts of
beef, pork, veal, chicken, and seafood.)

Bob
P.S.: Did you see the way I snipped the post? Please do likewise.

Weird question (but at least it's on-topic) Sereney-pie General Cooking 60 19-04-2008 11:51 PM
Weird question. Mydnight Tea 5 02-07-2005 09:06 PM
Weird question about spices Robyn Rosenthal General Cooking 66 22-12-2004 03:39 PM