Old 17-12-2004, 02:47 PM
Robyn Rosenthal

Default Weird question about spices

Last night I made a pot of stew with a lot of Indian spices in it and within a
few minutes of eating it, my nose was completely stopped up and by this morning
I feel as if I have a cold or like I have bad pollen allergies.

I have never heard of food causing the symptoms of air-borne allergies and I
was just wondering if anyone else has.

The ingredients we

pork
white wine
chicken stock (homemade)
carrots
celery
garlic
ginger
green cardamon
white cardamon
saffron
cumin
tumeric
black pepper
coriander seeds

The spices were all whole seeds that I ground in a coffee grinder.

Thanks!
***********************************
Robyn Lori Rosenthal
Sterling Cotons and Park Place Grooming
Sterling, VA USA
***********************************

Old 17-12-2004, 05:55 PM
Doug Freyburger

Robyn Rosenthal wrote:

Last night I made a pot of stew with a lot of Indian spices in it and

within a
few minutes of eating it, my nose was completely stopped up and by

this
morning I feel as if I have a cold or like I have bad pollen

allergies.

I have never heard of food causing the symptoms of air-borne

allergies and
I was just wondering if anyone else has.

Wheat causes me sniffles like that among other issues and I've
encountered plenty of other people whose sniffles are cured by going
wheat-free or corn-free. I find it easy to believe similar would
happen
with spices for some people.

Likely it was an intolerance reaction to one of the spices you have
not tried before.

Old 17-12-2004, 08:00 PM
Barbtail

coriander seeds

One of my girlfriends broke out in a rash after eating fresh coriander leaves
in a Chinese chicken salad. Which of these spices are new to you?

Also, it might be something you have had before but the reaction wasn't as
pronounced. Typically, each exposure causes a worse reaction. I'd call my DR
and tell him about the experience. Perhaps he can find out what troubled you.
That next reaction could be quite serious. My husband has a nut allergy and
I nearly lost him a few years ago so please be careful *smiles*.

This is a good site for more information:
The Anaphylaxis Campaign http://www.anaphylaxis.org.uk/dine.html

Be safe!

Barb Anne

Old 17-12-2004, 08:01 PM
Robyn Rosenthal

Thanks for all the replies.

I am gluten intolerant, so I am usually pretty careful about what I eat, but I
was pretty freaked out by having what seemed like air-borne allergy problems
from food.

I suspect it was either the coriander seed or the cardamon and will do some
experiments to see which one it was.

THANKS AGAINRobyn

Old 17-12-2004, 11:49 PM
Julia Altshuler

Robyn Rosenthal wrote:

I have never heard of food causing the symptoms of air-borne allergies and I
was just wondering if anyone else has.

Oh, sure. It happens all the time and isn't that unusual. All sorts of
things can be allergens including all sorts of foods, and the allergic
reaction can be all sorts of symptoms including the classic stuffed head
and sneezing. You could be allergic to one of the spices in your stew.
You could also have caught cold coincidentally with eating the stew.
Or you could be reacting to something airborne that has nothing to do
with the stew. Furthermore, sometimes one allergen isn't enough to
cause a full-blown allergy attack by itself, but a few allergens in
combination will do it. Welcome to the wonderful world of allergies.
Now you have some sleuthing to do to figure out what caused your
symptoms. Go take an antihistamine; don't drive until the effects have
worn off, and feel better soon.

--Lia