Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] barry.grau@gmail.com is offline

Default Weird Question......Asparagus

kilikini wrote:
> I have some asparagus that really needs to get cooked TODAY. I'm thinking
> of baking it in a dish, drizzling it with some lemon garlic butter and then
> finishing it with a broil of breadcrumbs mixed with parmesan cheese.
>
> Overkill?
>
> I've never baked asparagus before; only steamed.
>
> Should I steam it first or do you think I can just go ahead and bake it? If
> I just go ahead and bake it, what temp do you think would work best? 350 F?
>
> Any suggestions would be welcome.
>
> kili

Overkill? Maybe. I like fresh asparagus very simple. If it "NEEDS to
get cooked today" because it's getting old, that's another story.
Still, lemon, garlic, butter, breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese is a lot
of ingredients to be putting on asparagus. How about steaming the
asparagus and topping it with breadcrumbs cooked in oil or butter
flavored with a cut or sliced garlic clove (the garlic removed before
adding the breadcrumbs)? Or salted and roasted in olive oil at 450F for
10 minutes or so (tossing after 5) and sprinkled with lemon juice? For
very fresh, boiled or steamed, with a vinaigrette and parmigiana
reggiano shavings.

-bwg