Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] is offline

Default Weird Question......Asparagus

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Om replied to Kili:
>
> >> Canola oil tastes rancid to me. My hubby likes it, but I can't do it.
> >> From what I've been learning, some people have an odd flavor experience
> >> with it. Kind of like cilantro tastes like soap to some.

> > Same here...... IMHO Canola (and some veggie oils) taste "stale".

> Canola oil and Crisco vegetable oil taste rancid to me. I didn't realize it
> until I wasted a vanilla bean trying to make a vanilla mayo following one of
> Emeril's recipes. I tasted that stuff and threw the whole pint of mayo out.
> I use safflower oil nowadays whenever I run across something calling for
> canola or vegetable oil. But those instances are rare; I use at least ten
> times as much olive oil as any other kind of cooking oil. I've got a fair
> selection of other oils: grapeseed, macadamia, sesame, walnut, and hazelnut.
> I intend to buy peanut oil one of these days, but I haven't gotten around to
> it yet.
>
> Bob

I purchase Peanut oil in gallon bottles for deep frying. :-)
It has a very pleasant flavor.

For skillet frying/sautee'ing, I use mostly olive oil and some grape
seed oil. I prefer grape seed for searing steaks as I can get it a lot
hotter with no smoke in the skillet.

I use a mix of butter and olive oil for most seafood, and if I'm
sautee'ing veggies.

Ok, I know I'm spelling that wrong as my spell checker is going nuts.
How do you spell Sautee'?
--
Peace!
Om