Old 15-02-2007, 06:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Making real bacon bits...

I really do like salads and now that we _finally_ have a refrigerator in
our break room at work, I've started keeping a weeks worth of salad
makings at a time there. Takes me less than 10 minutes to build a fresh
salad.

Part of my weight loss efforts is to get serious about eating more
salads and to really watch the dressings. I think the dressings are
often the biggest calorie contributor!

A good low fat dressing can be made from fat free sour cream (Daisy
brand etc.) and a package of Hidden Valley Ranch powdered Ranch dressing.

Anyhoo......

one thing that can really contribute to a salad is a tablespoon or so of
real bacon bits. The fake ones are so-so but way too high in carbs.

The real ones are expensive. About 50 cents per oz.

What would be the best way to go about making my own? I've honestly
never tried...

TIA!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 15-02-2007, 06:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

[...]

Cook until crispy and dry off the greese and let them cool, thats all thats
really required. They crumble easy enough by hand after that.

Old 15-02-2007, 06:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet said...

What would be the best way to go about making my own? I've honestly
never tried...

TIA!

Om,

Probably just pound some pepper or garlic or your favorite other "stuff" into
a bunch of bacon slices, deep fry them up, then just food process the heck
out of them??

Andy
Old 15-02-2007, 06:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
I really do like salads and now that we _finally_ have a refrigerator in
our break room at work, I've started keeping a weeks worth of salad
makings at a time there. Takes me less than 10 minutes to build a fresh
salad.

This might be one thing you can be sure nobody will mess with, as it takes
some effort! When I worked in an office, my stuff frequently disappeared.

Part of my weight loss efforts is to get serious about eating more
salads and to really watch the dressings. I think the dressings are
often the biggest calorie contributor!

A good low fat dressing can be made from fat free sour cream (Daisy
brand etc.) and a package of Hidden Valley Ranch powdered Ranch dressing.

Hey, I want to try this. Ranch is my favorite dressing, and I already use
the light
kind of Hidden Valley with sour cream. (The kind that comes in the
upsidedown
bottle ....) Seems like your kind might be a buck cheaper or so, too. I hate
paying
$4 for that bottle of ranch. But there is nothing like Hidden Valley, to
me.)

one thing that can really contribute to a salad is a tablespoon or so of
real bacon bits. The fake ones are so-so but way too high in carbs.

The real ones are expensive. About 50 cents per oz.

What would be the best way to go about making my own? I've honestly
never tried...

I have done this, it's easy! Ijust make the bacon a bit crisper than I
usually
would and smash the hell out of it between paper towels to get most of
the fat out and crumble it too. (I do bacon on foil on a baking sheet
in the oven because frying it is just too messy. Start it out in a block
and separate it as it cooks. Use a pancake turner or tongs to move
it around and flip it. Remove it just before it is perfect as it keeps
cooking a bunch, and drain on paper towels.)

Old 15-02-2007, 06:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
[...]

bake the bacon in a 400 deg oven - drain on paper towels -

Old 15-02-2007, 06:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article [email protected], "Peter"
wrote:

Cook until crispy and dry off the greese and let them cool, thats all thats
really required. They crumble easy enough by hand after that.

Guessing it'd work better with the thinner cut ones?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 15-02-2007, 06:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , Andy q wrote:

Omelet said...

What would be the best way to go about making my own? I've honestly
never tried...

TIA!

Om,

Probably just pound some pepper or garlic or your favorite other "stuff" into
a bunch of bacon slices, deep fry them up, then just food process the heck
out of them??

Andy

Food chopper... duh. :-)

I do have a small one and had not thought of that.

Thanks!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 15-02-2007, 06:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cook until crispy and dry off the greese and let them cool, thats all
thats
really required. They crumble easy enough by hand after that.

Guessing it'd work better with the thinner cut ones?

I'd guess that too, but I never took note of what type I was buying other
than buying the cheapest bacon at the store at the time I was there :-)

Old 15-02-2007, 07:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , "cybercat"
wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
I really do like salads and now that we _finally_ have a refrigerator in
our break room at work, I've started keeping a weeks worth of salad
makings at a time there. Takes me less than 10 minutes to build a fresh
salad.

This might be one thing you can be sure nobody will mess with, as it takes
some effort! When I worked in an office, my stuff frequently disappeared.

The Hormel bacon bits that I've been using so far are living in my
locker. G The other stuff has been pretty much left alone except for
the celery.

While I don't mind sharing some, please take the whole stalk! Some rude
S-tard was breaking just the tops off, and sloppily at that! Cut it for
pity sakes! sigh

I put a "do not touch" sticker on it and nobody has messed with it
since. If one is willing to share, you put a "public property" sticker
on it like I did with the butter cubes. :-)

1 lb. of butter at home lasts 2 months or more. At work? Well, I froze 2
cubes and the other 2 have been there for 2 months now with only 1/4th
of one used for when Rosemary makes breakfast tacos.

Part of my weight loss efforts is to get serious about eating more
salads and to really watch the dressings. I think the dressings are
often the biggest calorie contributor!

A good low fat dressing can be made from fat free sour cream (Daisy
brand etc.) and a package of Hidden Valley Ranch powdered Ranch dressing.

Hey, I want to try this. Ranch is my favorite dressing, and I already use
the light
kind of Hidden Valley with sour cream. (The kind that comes in the
upsidedown
bottle ....) Seems like your kind might be a buck cheaper or so, too. I hate
paying
$4 for that bottle of ranch. But there is nothing like Hidden Valley, to
me.)

My biggest complaint about low fat dressings is that they are too damned
SWEET! They add HFCS (corn syrup) or sugar, and carbs are worse than
fat, for me at least!

This works. The recipe calls for adding one packet to a 16 oz. container
of sour cream (etc., the recipe on the powder packet calls for mayo but
I skip that!) but I find that mix to be a bit salty, so double the sour
cream. It works for me but you can experiment to taste.

Comes out low fat AND low carb... and I also adore Ranch Dressing. :-)

And it's not TOO DAMNED SWEET like most of the low fat/fat free
dressings are!

Now I just need to find a good powdered caeser to play with? sigh

The calories, carbs, fat and price are minimal on that mix. Just plain
fat free sour cream and the powder mix.

one thing that can really contribute to a salad is a tablespoon or so of
real bacon bits. The fake ones are so-so but way too high in carbs.

The real ones are expensive. About 50 cents per oz.

What would be the best way to go about making my own? I've honestly
never tried...

I have done this, it's easy! Ijust make the bacon a bit crisper than I
usually
would and smash the hell out of it between paper towels to get most of
the fat out and crumble it too. (I do bacon on foil on a baking sheet
in the oven because frying it is just too messy. Start it out in a block
and separate it as it cooks. Use a pancake turner or tongs to move
it around and flip it. Remove it just before it is perfect as it keeps
cooking a bunch, and drain on paper towels.)

Mashing it on paper towels... Cool.

I'll give that a try, thanks! :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 15-02-2007, 07:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

Anyhoo......

one thing that can really contribute to a salad is a tablespoon or so of
real bacon bits. The fake ones are so-so but way too high in carbs.

The real ones are expensive. About 50 cents per oz.

What would be the best way to go about making my own? I've honestly
never tried...

Cook the bacon carefully to get it cooked crisp and even and then crumble
it.

Old 15-02-2007, 07:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
[...]

You've **GOT** to be kidding. Next, you'll be looking for tips on removing
the crust from bread.

Old 15-02-2007, 07:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
PVC PVC is offline

On Feb 15, 12:33 pm, Andy q wrote:
Probably just pound some pepper or garlic or your favorite other

"stuff" into
a bunch of bacon slices, deep fry them up, then just food process the heck
out of them??

Yes, deep fried bacon puree. Yet another culinary masterpiece, a la
Andy Asswipe.

Old 15-02-2007, 07:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"PVC" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 15, 1:11 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

What would be the best way to go about making my own? I've honestly
never tried...

You've **GOT** to be kidding. Next, you'll be looking for tips on
removing
the crust from bread.

LOL

Attributions, laughing girl.

Attributions.

*shaking my head*

Old 15-02-2007, 07:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"PVC" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 15, 1:11 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

What would be the best way to go about making my own? I've honestly
never tried...

You've **GOT** to be kidding. Next, you'll be looking for tips on
removing
the crust from bread.

LOL

Tomorrow on Cooking With The Masters: How do break crackers into two pieces
without losing an eye!

drag bits, step drag bits, chevron drag bits, API Reg thread dragbits, API IF thread drag bits, Arod thread drag bits, Nrod thread drag bits,2-wings drag bits, 3-wings drag bits, 4-wings drag bits, carbide drag bits,PDC drag bits, clay bits Jack[_10_] Baking 0 02-06-2009 03:02 AM
REAL Canadian Bacon - Back Bacon - Peameal Bacon Online. [email protected] General Cooking 1 15-09-2007 04:41 PM
Making Bacon Bits Damsel in dis Dress General Cooking 7 10-07-2006 04:34 AM
Making Bacon Bits Andy General Cooking 3 10-07-2006 04:31 AM
How are Bacon Bits made? jacqui{JB} General Cooking 35 21-03-2004 01:33 PM