Posted to rec.food.cooking
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default Making real bacon bits...

In article >, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> >I really do like salads and now that we _finally_ have a refrigerator in
> > our break room at work, I've started keeping a weeks worth of salad
> > makings at a time there. Takes me less than 10 minutes to build a fresh
> > salad.

> This might be one thing you can be sure nobody will mess with, as it takes
> some effort! When I worked in an office, my stuff frequently disappeared.

The Hormel bacon bits that I've been using so far are living in my
locker. <G> The other stuff has been pretty much left alone except for
the celery.

While I don't mind sharing some, please take the whole stalk! Some rude
S-tard was breaking just the tops off, and sloppily at that! Cut it for
pity sakes! <sigh>

I put a "do not touch" sticker on it and nobody has messed with it
since. If one is willing to share, you put a "public property" sticker
on it like I did with the butter cubes. :-)

1 lb. of butter at home lasts 2 months or more. At work? Well, I froze 2
cubes and the other 2 have been there for 2 months now with only 1/4th
of one used for when Rosemary makes breakfast tacos.

> > Part of my weight loss efforts is to get serious about eating more
> > salads and to really watch the dressings. I think the dressings are
> > often the biggest calorie contributor!
> >
> > A good low fat dressing can be made from fat free sour cream (Daisy
> > brand etc.) and a package of Hidden Valley Ranch powdered Ranch dressing.

> Hey, I want to try this. Ranch is my favorite dressing, and I already use
> the light
> kind of Hidden Valley with sour cream. (The kind that comes in the
> upsidedown
> bottle ....) Seems like your kind might be a buck cheaper or so, too. I hate
> paying
> $4 for that bottle of ranch. But there is nothing like Hidden Valley, to
> me.)

My biggest complaint about low fat dressings is that they are too damned
SWEET! They add HFCS (corn syrup) or sugar, and carbs are worse than
fat, for me at least!

This works. The recipe calls for adding one packet to a 16 oz. container
of sour cream (etc., the recipe on the powder packet calls for mayo but
I skip that!) but I find that mix to be a bit salty, so double the sour
cream. It works for me but you can experiment to taste.

Comes out low fat AND low carb... and I also adore Ranch Dressing. :-)

And it's not TOO DAMNED SWEET like most of the low fat/fat free
dressings are!

Now I just need to find a good powdered caeser to play with? <sigh>

The calories, carbs, fat and price are minimal on that mix. Just plain
fat free sour cream and the powder mix.

> > one thing that can really contribute to a salad is a tablespoon or so of
> > real bacon bits. The fake ones are so-so but way too high in carbs.
> >
> > The real ones are expensive. About 50 cents per oz.
> >
> > What would be the best way to go about making my own? I've honestly
> > never tried...
> >

> I have done this, it's easy! Ijust make the bacon a bit crisper than I
> usually
> would and smash the hell out of it between paper towels to get most of
> the fat out and crumble it too. (I do bacon on foil on a baking sheet
> in the oven because frying it is just too messy. Start it out in a block
> and separate it as it cooks. Use a pancake turner or tongs to move
> it around and flip it. Remove it just before it is perfect as it keeps
> cooking a bunch, and drain on paper towels.)

Mashing it on paper towels... Cool.

I'll give that a try, thanks! :-)
--
Peace, Om