Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Making real bacon bits...

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> "merryb" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
> > Om,
> > You seem to be a very smart chick- I'm really surprised that you're
> > asking this....

> That's really nasty, in a not-quite-subtle way.
>
> There are bound to be people who do this on a regular basis who can tell Om
> the best way.
>
> Does your post have a function, except the attempt to make Om feel bad about
> asking the question?

It's ok babe, but thanks. :-)

There are those that have been cooking for so long, they forget their
origins! It did not hurt my feelings...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 15:43:58 -0600, Omelet wrote:
>
> > What is the difference between greek yogurt and regular yogurt?

> Have you ever had Mexican sour cream vs American sour cream?
> That's the difference. The cost is 3-4 times more for the Greek
> and Mexican counterparts. I still haven't figured out why the
> price difference.
>
> -sw

Now you've got me curious.

Does Fiesta carry it? ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"merryb" > wrote:

> I was in no way trying to make Om feel bad- I was truly surprised as
> she seems to be quite familiar with many aspects of cooking. Please
> don't read more into that than there actually is...

It's ok...

It's just that when one fries bacon, it's not exactly "dry".

The jarred bacon bits are. They are not even greasy.

Squishing them between paper towels is probably the most obvious thing,
but I was just curious about how others made them. :-)

When I've never made an item before, I try to learn from others first
just in case the obvious "wasn't", if you know what I mean?

Cheers!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet said...

> In article . com>,
> "merryb" > wrote:
>
>> I was in no way trying to make Om feel bad- I was truly surprised as
>> she seems to be quite familiar with many aspects of cooking. Please
>> don't read more into that than there actually is...

> It's ok...
>
> It's just that when one fries bacon, it's not exactly "dry".
>
> The jarred bacon bits are. They are not even greasy.
>
> Squishing them between paper towels is probably the most obvious thing,
> but I was just curious about how others made them. :-)
>
> When I've never made an item before, I try to learn from others first
> just in case the obvious "wasn't", if you know what I mean?
>
> Cheers!

Good Lord Om,

The multi posts per minute... geez...

Forget foreplay, obviously!

Let's just get a quic...

That was great for...

Om...???

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Omelet said...
>
>> In article . com>,
>> "merryb" > wrote:
>>
>>> I was in no way trying to make Om feel bad- I was truly surprised as
>>> she seems to be quite familiar with many aspects of cooking. Please
>>> don't read more into that than there actually is...

>> It's ok...
>>
>> It's just that when one fries bacon, it's not exactly "dry".
>>
>> The jarred bacon bits are. They are not even greasy.
>>
>> Squishing them between paper towels is probably the most obvious thing,
>> but I was just curious about how others made them. :-)
>>
>> When I've never made an item before, I try to learn from others first
>> just in case the obvious "wasn't", if you know what I mean?
>>
>> Cheers!

> Good Lord Om,
>
> The multi posts per minute... geez...

....and all because of bacon bits. Or, at least that's what we're supposed to
believe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Omelet said...
>
> > In article . com>,
> > "merryb" > wrote:
> >
> >> I was in no way trying to make Om feel bad- I was truly surprised as
> >> she seems to be quite familiar with many aspects of cooking. Please
> >> don't read more into that than there actually is...

> > It's ok...
> >
> > It's just that when one fries bacon, it's not exactly "dry".
> >
> > The jarred bacon bits are. They are not even greasy.
> >
> > Squishing them between paper towels is probably the most obvious thing,
> > but I was just curious about how others made them. :-)
> >
> > When I've never made an item before, I try to learn from others first
> > just in case the obvious "wasn't", if you know what I mean?
> >
> > Cheers!

> Good Lord Om,
>
> The multi posts per minute... geez...
>
> Forget foreplay, obviously!
>
> Let's just get a quic...
>
> That was great for...
>
> Om...???

Hey, I started the thread... :-) So I get to answer it more!

'sides, I got a late start.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> Omelet said...

>>> It's ok...
>>>
>>> It's just that when one fries bacon, it's not exactly "dry".
>>>
>>> The jarred bacon bits are. They are not even greasy.
>>>
>>> Squishing them between paper towels is probably the most obvious thing,
>>> but I was just curious about how others made them. :-)
>>>
>>> When I've never made an item before, I try to learn from others first
>>> just in case the obvious "wasn't", if you know what I mean?
>>>
>>> Cheers!

>> Good Lord Om,
>>
>> The multi posts per minute... geez...

> ...and all because of bacon bits. Or, at least that's what we're supposed
> to believe.

**** off, Joe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message
.. .

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
>> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>>> Omelet said...

>>> Good Lord Om,
>>>
>>> The multi posts per minute... geez...

>> ...and all because of bacon bits. Or, at least that's what we're supposed
>> to believe.

> **** off, Joe.

Truth is a bitch, isn't it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
> > "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> >> Omelet said...

> >> Good Lord Om,
> >>
> >> The multi posts per minute... geez...

> > ...and all because of bacon bits. Or, at least that's what we're supposed
> > to believe.

> **** off, Joe.

Funny how this thread took on a life of it's own.
I was just looking for a few hints and tips on making the bloody things
to save money! ;-D

This list is a hoot.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "cybercat" > wrote:

>> > ...and all because of bacon bits. Or, at least that's what we're
>> > supposed
>> > to believe.

>> **** off, Joe.

> Funny how this thread took on a life of it's own.
> I was just looking for a few hints and tips on making the bloody things
> to save money! ;-D
> Peace, Om

No you weren't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet said...

> In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> Omelet said...

>> > It's ok...
>> >
>> > It's just that when one fries bacon, it's not exactly "dry".
>> >
>> > The jarred bacon bits are. They are not even greasy.
>> >
>> > Squishing them between paper towels is probably the most obvious thing,
>> > but I was just curious about how others made them. :-)
>> >
>> > When I've never made an item before, I try to learn from others first
>> > just in case the obvious "wasn't", if you know what I mean?
>> >
>> > Cheers!

>> Good Lord Om,
>>
>> The multi posts per minute... geez...
>>
>> Forget foreplay, obviously!
>>
>> Let's just get a quic...
>>
>> That was great for...
>>
>> Om...???

> Hey, I started the thread... :-) So I get to answer it more!
>
> 'sides, I got a late start.

<VBG><TGIF>

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 16, 12:04 pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> "cybercat" > wrote:
> > "merryb" > wrote in message
> roups.com...

> > > Om,
> > > You seem to be a very smart chick- I'm really surprised that you're
> > > asking this....

> > That's really nasty, in a not-quite-subtle way.

> > There are bound to be people who do this on a regular basis who can tell Om
> > the best way.

> > Does your post have a function, except the attempt to make Om feel bad about
> > asking the question?

> It's ok babe, but thanks. :-)
>
> There are those that have been cooking for so long, they forget their
> origins! It did not hurt my feelings...
> --
> Peace, Om
>
> Remove _ to validate e-mails.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack Nicholson

I certainly was NOT trying to offend- i guess I get a little blunt
after a couple of martinis!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote

> Funny how this thread took on a life of it's own.
> I was just looking for a few hints and tips on making the bloody things
> to save money! ;-D
>
> This list is a hoot.

Actually, I thought it was a demonstration of how you troll,
as you say you like to do. Truth be told.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 13:56:34 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Christine Dabney > wrote:

>> Greek yogurt is much creamier, and less tart than regular American
>> style yogurt. I find it much closer to the consistency and taste of
>> sour cream.
>>
>> Christine

>I'll add that to my list of "things to try"!

Om, I make my own Greek type yogurt all the time. It's *way* better
than regular yogurt.

Put a strainer in a large bowl, and line it with some cheesecloth or a
couple of coffee filters. (I use the coffee filters.) Dump in some
good-quality natural yogurt - no fruit, no sugar, no thickeners - just
milk and bacterial culture. High-fat yogurt is obviously better, but
I've had pretty good results going as low as 2%.

I cover this with plastic wrap and stick it in the fridge overnight.
Put the strained product in a storage container of some kind. It'll
keep as long as the original product would have kept.

I make this in batches of about 12 oz at a time of yogurt, and end up
with about 8 oz of finished product.

This is really good with a bit of splenda and some cocoa powder. Or
mooshed up berries.

Jo Anne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 18:03:54 -0500, Jo Anne
> wrote:

>Om, I make my own Greek type yogurt all the time. It's *way* better
>than regular yogurt.
>
>Put a strainer in a large bowl, and line it with some cheesecloth or a
>couple of coffee filters. (I use the coffee filters.) Dump in some
>good-quality natural yogurt - no fruit, no sugar, no thickeners - just
>milk and bacterial culture. High-fat yogurt is obviously better, but
>I've had pretty good results going as low as 2%.
>
>I cover this with plastic wrap and stick it in the fridge overnight.
>Put the strained product in a storage container of some kind. It'll
>keep as long as the original product would have kept.

This is not Greek yogurt. It is yogurt cheese made from regular
yogurt.

The real Greek yogurt is much less tangy than the yogurt you are
suggesting, as well as much thicker and creamier. It is often made
with sheep's milk.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> The only bacon I've seen that would be suitable is the bacon they serve
> at work! That stuff is paper thin, I swear. I've not seen similar in the
> store. I don't know where they get it. Probably a commercial caterer.

Sysco.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
news
> Omelet wrote:
>
>> The only bacon I've seen that would be suitable is the bacon they serve
>> at work! That stuff is paper thin, I swear. I've not seen similar in the
>> store. I don't know where they get it. Probably a commercial caterer.

> Sysco.

I ordered a caesar salad yesterday when I was out for lunch. I actually
ordered calamari but had to send it back 'cause it was god awful. Calamari
really is hit and miss, but I felt in a risk taking sort of mood! Anyway it
was a big miss. So - ordered a salad instead because by this time my
friends were almost finished their lunch. Salad came with a 'paper' thin
slice of bacon on top. Wasn't bad but I wondered why I had to be the one to
crumble it! It didn't crumble so I used my hands to tear it up. Salad
wasn't all that great either.

Hey, now I can't remember what my point was.............

elaine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"merryb" > wrote:

> On Feb 16, 12:04 pm, Omelet > wrote:
> > In article >,
> >
> > "cybercat" > wrote:
> > > "merryb" > wrote in message
> > roups.com...

> > > That's really nasty, in a not-quite-subtle way.

> > > There are bound to be people who do this on a regular basis who can tell
> > > Om
> > > the best way.

> > > Does your post have a function, except the attempt to make Om feel bad
> > > about
> > > asking the question?

> > It's ok babe, but thanks. :-)
> >
> > There are those that have been cooking for so long, they forget their
> > origins! It did not hurt my feelings...

> I certainly was NOT trying to offend- i guess I get a little blunt
> after a couple of martinis!

Never post half-wasted. <lol>

Been there, done that!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote
>
> > Funny how this thread took on a life of it's own.
> > I was just looking for a few hints and tips on making the bloody things
> > to save money! ;-D
> >
> > This list is a hoot.

> Actually, I thought it was a demonstration of how you troll,
> as you say you like to do. Truth be told.
>
> nancy

No, trolls are off topic.

Sorry you were offended. :-P
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Jo Anne > wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 13:56:34 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Christine Dabney > wrote:

> >> Greek yogurt is much creamier, and less tart than regular American
> >> style yogurt. I find it much closer to the consistency and taste of
> >> sour cream.
> >>
> >> Christine

> >I'll add that to my list of "things to try"!

> Om, I make my own Greek type yogurt all the time. It's *way* better
> than regular yogurt.
>
> Put a strainer in a large bowl, and line it with some cheesecloth or a
> couple of coffee filters. (I use the coffee filters.) Dump in some
> good-quality natural yogurt - no fruit, no sugar, no thickeners - just
> milk and bacterial culture. High-fat yogurt is obviously better, but
> I've had pretty good results going as low as 2%.
>
> I cover this with plastic wrap and stick it in the fridge overnight.
> Put the strained product in a storage container of some kind. It'll
> keep as long as the original product would have kept.
>
> I make this in batches of about 12 oz at a time of yogurt, and end up
> with about 8 oz of finished product.
>
> This is really good with a bit of splenda and some cocoa powder. Or
> mooshed up berries.
>
> Jo Anne

Hm. I've read something similar about making "yogurt Cheese"?

Cool.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 14:04:43 -0600, Omelet wrote:
>
> >> Have you ever had Mexican sour cream vs American sour cream?
> >> That's the difference. The cost is 3-4 times more for the Greek
> >> and Mexican counterparts. I still haven't figured out why the
> >> price difference.
> >>
> >> -sw

> > Now you've got me curious.
> >
> > Does Fiesta carry it? ;-)

> I think I saw the yogurt at Whole Foods. I get mine at Phonecia
> Bakery when the need arises (which isn't often).

I'll have to look there, thanks!
I need to get more Grape Seed Oil anyway.
It's cheaper than Olive Oil there!

> The Mexican sour cream (they also make a fantasic "unsour" cream)
> be found in every HEB.
>
> -sw

Daisy Brand. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 15, 1:16 pm, Omelet > wrote:
<,,,>

lol

heh heh

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> Actually, I thought it was a demonstration of how you troll,
>> as you say you like to do. Truth be told.

> No, trolls are off topic.
>
> Sorry you were offended. :-P

Not offended. Just wondered why you'd choose this way.
Whatever.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 16, 11:00 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

> [...]

The next person who hollers to troll...? I'm going to slap them in
the mouth.

It's ok you can laugh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 15, 1:16 pm, Omelet > wrote:
> I really do like salads and now that we _finally_ have a refrigerator in
> our break room at work, I've started keeping a weeks worth of salad
> makings at a time there. Takes me less than 10 minutes to build a fresh
> salad.
>
> Part of my weight loss efforts is to get serious about eating more
> salads and to really watch the dressings. I think the dressings are
> often the biggest calorie contributor!
>
> A good low fat dressing can be made from fat free sour cream (Daisy
> brand etc.) and a package of Hidden Valley Ranch powdered Ranch dressing.
>
> Anyhoo......
>
> one thing that can really contribute to a salad is a tablespoon or so of
> real bacon bits. The fake ones are so-so but way too high in carbs.
>
> The real ones are expensive. About 50 cents per oz.
>
> What would be the best way to go about making my own? I've honestly
> never tried...

I'll leave that for the pros (making real bacon bits)

But far as losing weight, salad is not a solution.
Salad is hard to digest because of it's lack of soluble fiber.
Iceberg lettuce is the worst, it actually cleaves to the walls of your
stomach, it has to rot before existing the stomach.

If I can be a little crude here.. Nobody has ever taken a big whopping
dump after eating salad.. If anything... your body gets busy
separating all them different ingredients... dressing, bacon, egg,
croutons.. etc.

You LIKE salads, you're trying to be frugal and I would too...
but it would be better to have greens like baby field greens.. not
iceberg...

You like nuts? sunflower kernels are hearty on a salad...

I have a vewy close friend who works in an office. You sit behind a
desk most of the time?.. That can be a tough one for losing weight.
Cause you end up just sitting on lunch.

Salads are tasty, but I wouldn't forgo a nutritious filling meal just
to lose weight.

I've dropped a little over 30 Lbs in the past month...
I posted this info already, but it is from riding my bicycle...

I eat like a horse.

Nothing is free, there has to be an exchange.
No pill is going to take weight off (I know you didn't mention that,
I'm just sayin)

I try to be conscious of sauces and dressings...

My advice would be, have a regular lunch, then after work have a
couple of steamy rounds of handball, or some other aerobic activity.

If you ask me, Food is right up there just beneath sex. (on a totem
pole)...

In fact! One good orgasm is equivalent to jogging one mile. (that's
the workout the heart can get)...

Why not just hump your favorite co-worker after lunch each day.
I give that idea, A big thumbs up!

Please eat all you want when you want, take the weight off through
physical activity... I say physical activity because my auto speller
can't decide how to spell excersize. <--- that's not spelled right...

Do you like riding a bicycle?

For me riding a bike is a very free feeling.

No gas, no insurance... you can go where autos cannot...
it sharpens your senses, and makes your legs strong.

If you have many hills, you can really grind your abdomen when pumping
uphill.

On the way back down the hill... you can cool down...

About work... do you, or can you "snack up?"...

things like, nuts, dried fruits, pretzels, cheese cubes...
You know, little power snacks. Enough power snacks and you've spoiled
your appetite for lunch.. This could thwart a couple of lunch meals
during the week.

Do you feel much hunger? There's nothing wrong with that.
After stroking across town on my bike.. my gut is begging for food for
energy.
I can really feel it burning down there... a month of this and you'll
be ready for Ms Universe!

Word of caution, Do stretch your ham strings before and after...
takes 2 mins to pull them straight... don't need no cramps.
Vit C removes cramps.

Don't worry, I don't stretch in public... I think that's unsightly..
it's like
look at me or something.. I "egg" anyone I catch doing that! lol
I don't wear spandex.

I'm sorry! did I talk your head off? haha

Barry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote
>
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote:

> >> Actually, I thought it was a demonstration of how you troll,
> >> as you say you like to do. Truth be told.

> > No, trolls are off topic.
> >
> > Sorry you were offended. :-P

> Not offended. Just wondered why you'd choose this way.
> Whatever.
>
> nancy

Look Hon', I should not have to explain this in great detail but I'm
beginning to see that it might be necessary with certain list members.
;-)

I've never used bacon bits in large quantities before. I'm just now
deciding that I really like them in my salads so will be using more so
that's making them expensive.

Now, when I cook bacon for eating, I do not cook it "crisp". Neither of
us like it that way. It's still slightly soft and sure as heck will not
"crumble". I'd have to tear it up by hand or use a pair of scissors or
something. My time is worth more than that.

When I try to cook bacon to a "crisp", it gets burnt tasting and nasty,
and still won't crumble worth a crap.

So, I figured that some people on this list (and this IS a food list I
think?) might have had experience making them so might have a few
helpful hints.

Turned out I was correct and many THANKS to those of you that actually
posted helpful information instead of attacking me for asking a "stupid"
question.

Sheesh!

The only troll thread I've started recently was the one on spanking
cats. :-) ("Spank that pussy!")
and that had some entertainment value for a few at least!

Now, does THAT finally explain why the hell I asked for such a simple
thing?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 21:12:01 -0600, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Steve Wertz > wrote:
> >
> >> The Mexican sour cream (they also make a fantasic "unsour" cream)
> >> be found in every HEB.

> > Daisy Brand. ;-)

> I think we're on the wrong page.
>
> -sw

I think so too.

It's just that I've never found sour cream to be "sour".
I even use it on fruit.

It's certainly a lot less tart than even plain yogurt...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Barry" > wrote:

> I'll leave that for the pros (making real bacon bits)

And a few here were very helpful :-)

Gods this place is SUCH a soap opera!

> But far as losing weight, salad is not a solution.
> Salad is hard to digest because of it's lack of soluble fiber.
> Iceberg lettuce is the worst, it actually cleaves to the walls of your
> stomach, it has to rot before existing the stomach.

I never buy Iceberg. Lately I've been using more Romaine along with red
and green leaf, and Boston Butter when I can afford it. I also used
bagged baby spinach leaves.

> If I can be a little crude here.. Nobody has ever taken a big whopping
> dump after eating salad.. If anything... your body gets busy
> separating all them different ingredients... dressing, bacon, egg,
> croutons.. etc.

No croutons. Ever.

> You LIKE salads, you're trying to be frugal and I would too...
> but it would be better to have greens like baby field greens.. not
> iceberg...

I don't eat iceberg. Period.
I've been looking at the mixed organic greens tho'. They look
interesting. Another good item in salads is fresh herb leaves such as
Basil.

> You like nuts? sunflower kernels are hearty on a salad...

<shudder> I prefer my salads to be female, thanks. ;-)

I only eat nuts by themselves.

> I have a vewy close friend who works in an office. You sit behind a
> desk most of the time?.. That can be a tough one for losing weight.
> Cause you end up just sitting on lunch.

Hell no! I'm on my feet most of the night, especially this time of year!
I work in a hospital lab. LOTS of sick people...

and lots of deaths right now. :-(

> Salads are tasty, but I wouldn't forgo a nutritious filling meal just
> to lose weight.

Well, I DO often add meat such as shredded chicken breast (roasted) or
sometimes bits of smoked turkey, or even some tuna sometimes. I also
like to add some sliced olives.

And tomato of course! I cannot eat a salad without sliced 'maters. :-d

> I've dropped a little over 30 Lbs in the past month...
> I posted this info already, but it is from riding my bicycle...
>
> I eat like a horse.
>
> Nothing is free, there has to be an exchange.
> No pill is going to take weight off (I know you didn't mention that,
> I'm just sayin)

Thyrolar.
But, I am hypothyroid, and insulin resistant. :-(

> I try to be conscious of sauces and dressings...

OH yes! I know that one for sure!

> My advice would be, have a regular lunch, then after work have a
> couple of steamy rounds of handball, or some other aerobic activity.
>
> If you ask me, Food is right up there just beneath sex. (on a totem
> pole)...

<lol>

> In fact! One good orgasm is equivalent to jogging one mile. (that's
> the workout the heart can get)...
>
> Why not just hump your favorite co-worker after lunch each day.
> I give that idea, A big thumbs up!

The last time I tried that, he turned out to be impotent. <sigh> have
not heard from him since... but he was an ex-co-worker.
Sleeping with co-workers is bad form.

> Please eat all you want when you want, take the weight off through
> physical activity... I say physical activity because my auto speller
> can't decide how to spell excersize. <--- that's not spelled right...
>
> Do you like riding a bicycle?

I seriously need to get my fat ass back to the local gym.
It's not that expensive.

> For me riding a bike is a very free feeling.

Walking is better and I can take the dog. :-)

> No gas, no insurance... you can go where autos cannot...
> it sharpens your senses, and makes your legs strong.
>
> If you have many hills, you can really grind your abdomen when pumping
> uphill.

Yes.

> On the way back down the hill... you can cool down...
>
> About work... do you, or can you "snack up?"...

I don't have time to snack!
Generally, my one meal is "snacked on" over a period of 2 to 3 hours.
One bite here, go start one machine, eat another bite, spin another
blood sample or go do some plating in micro...

You get the idea. :-)

> things like, nuts, dried fruits, pretzels, cheese cubes...
> You know, little power snacks. Enough power snacks and you've spoiled
> your appetite for lunch.. This could thwart a couple of lunch meals
> during the week.

No carbs! I'll gain weight rapidly on stuff like that!
Cheese maybe but no dried fruit and sure as hell no pretzels!

Celery sticks, raw veggies, fresh meat...
Maybe some low fat cheese.

> Do you feel much hunger? There's nothing wrong with that.

No.

> After stroking across town on my bike.. my gut is begging for food for
> energy.
> I can really feel it burning down there... a month of this and you'll
> be ready for Ms Universe!
>
> Word of caution, Do stretch your ham strings before and after...
> takes 2 mins to pull them straight... don't need no cramps.
> Vit C removes cramps.

So does a good balanced multi-mineral. ;-)

> Don't worry, I don't stretch in public... I think that's unsightly..
> it's like
> look at me or something.. I "egg" anyone I catch doing that! lol
> I don't wear spandex.
>
> I'm sorry! did I talk your head off? haha
>

> Barry

It's all good. I'm always up for helpful advice!
Thing is, diets don't work. It takes a permanent lifestyle change.

I know how to lose weight. I've lost 80 lbs....

Twice.

Problem is is that I did not make the lifestyle change to sustain it.
I've quit gaining and am currently stable so I know what to do.

Salads are satisfying and the way I make them, they come out to 250 to
300 calories each. I'm not starving myself of nutrition. ;-)

4 of those per day and I'm good to go......

Cheers dear!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> > No, trolls are off topic.
>> >
>> > Sorry you were offended. :-P

>> Not offended. Just wondered why you'd choose this way.
>> Whatever.

> Look Hon', I should not have to explain this in great detail but I'm
> beginning to see that it might be necessary with certain list members.
> ;-)
>
> I've never used bacon bits in large quantities before. I'm just now
> deciding that I really like them in my salads so will be using more so
> that's making them expensive.
>
> Now, when I cook bacon for eating, I do not cook it "crisp". Neither of
> us like it that way. It's still slightly soft and sure as heck will not
> "crumble". I'd have to tear it up by hand or use a pair of scissors or
> something. My time is worth more than that.

Okey doke, then, we have it. You didn't think, cook the bacon
longer. We get it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Okey doke, then, we have it. You didn't think, cook the bacon
> longer. We get it.
>
> nancy

Did you read the rest of the post???

Even "crisp" bacon won't crumble! It has to be ripped or cut apart.
That's time consuming. I'd rather just buy the damned things.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>> Okey doke, then, we have it. You didn't think, cook the bacon
>> longer. We get it.

> Did you read the rest of the post???
>
> Even "crisp" bacon won't crumble! It has to be ripped or cut apart.
> That's time consuming. I'd rather just buy the damned things.

Okay. Good.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Barry" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Feb 15, 1:16 pm, Omelet > wrote:
>> I really do like salads and now that we _finally_ have a refrigerator in
>> our break room at work, I've started keeping a weeks worth of salad
>> makings at a time there. Takes me less than 10 minutes to build a fresh
>> salad.
>>
>> Part of my weight loss efforts is to get serious about eating more
>> salads and to really watch the dressings. I think the dressings are
>> often the biggest calorie contributor!
>>
>> A good low fat dressing can be made from fat free sour cream (Daisy
>> brand etc.) and a package of Hidden Valley Ranch powdered Ranch dressing.
>>
>> Anyhoo......
>>
>> one thing that can really contribute to a salad is a tablespoon or so of
>> real bacon bits. The fake ones are so-so but way too high in carbs.
>>
>> The real ones are expensive. About 50 cents per oz.
>>
>> What would be the best way to go about making my own? I've honestly
>> never tried...

> I'll leave that for the pros (making real bacon bits)
>
> But far as losing weight, salad is not a solution.
> Salad is hard to digest because of it's lack of soluble fiber.
> Iceberg lettuce is the worst, it actually cleaves to the walls of your
> stomach, it has to rot before existing the stomach.

No, Barry. Salad gives you lots of flavor and fills you with
water, and water has no calories. It is full of fiber. It's a
GREAT diet food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote
>
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> >
> >> Okey doke, then, we have it. You didn't think, cook the bacon
> >> longer. We get it.

> > Did you read the rest of the post???
> >
> > Even "crisp" bacon won't crumble! It has to be ripped or cut apart.
> > That's time consuming. I'd rather just buy the damned things.

> Okay. Good.
>
> nancy

Whatever... <sigh>

I'm glad that you don't have that issue.
Did you even consider posting how _you_ make them instead of just
attacking me? I swear you are getting to be as bad as Goober!

Bye.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> > But far as losing weight, salad is not a solution.
> > Salad is hard to digest because of it's lack of soluble fiber.
> > Iceberg lettuce is the worst, it actually cleaves to the walls of your
> > stomach, it has to rot before existing the stomach.

> No, Barry. Salad gives you lots of flavor and fills you with
> water, and water has no calories. It is full of fiber. It's a
> GREAT diet food.

That's the general idea. :-)

That and other leafy green type veggies.

Just watch the dressings! They can defeat the purpose.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> > Did you read the rest of the post???
>> >
>> > Even "crisp" bacon won't crumble! It has to be ripped or cut apart.
>> > That's time consuming. I'd rather just buy the damned things.

>> Okay. Good.
>>
>> nancy

> Whatever... <sigh>
>
> I'm glad that you don't have that issue.
> Did you even consider posting how _you_ make them instead of just
> attacking me? I swear you are getting to be as bad as Goober!
>
> Bye.
> --

You used the Big Bad TROLL word! You had the nerve to post that
you sometimes PLAY in Usenet! In other groups! Post just for fun,
to see what response you get! You Big Bad Troll you.

So Nancy Young, the genius, in her zeal to slap you down, pats
Vomit Chicken, the biggest (and least funny) troll here, on the
back.

"I laughed so hard I peed my pants," I would say, if I were in
the habit of saying really stupid things like that.

Breakfast: scrambled eggs and ham, hot punkin bread right
out of the oven. Mmmm.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Barry" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> But far as losing weight, salad is not a solution.
> Salad is hard to digest because of it's lack of soluble fiber.
> Iceberg lettuce is the worst, it actually cleaves to the walls of your
> stomach, it has to rot before existing the stomach.

Are you vying for an award for biggest contributor of nonsense to a
newsgroup?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> > Did you read the rest of the post???
>> >
>> > Even "crisp" bacon won't crumble! It has to be ripped or cut apart.
>> > That's time consuming. I'd rather just buy the damned things.

>> Okay. Good.

> Whatever... <sigh>
>
> I'm glad that you don't have that issue.
> Did you even consider posting how _you_ make them instead of just
> attacking me?

I didn't attack you. I said I thought you must be joking if
you were asking how to make bacon bits. I consider that to
be more of a compliment than anything. I knew you wouldn't
have to ask that. I was wrong.

> I swear you are getting to be as bad as Goober!

Thank you.

> Bye.

Bye.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>> Okey doke, then, we have it. You didn't think, cook the bacon
>> longer. We get it.
>>
>> nancy

> Did you read the rest of the post???
>
> Even "crisp" bacon won't crumble! It has to be ripped or cut apart.
> That's time consuming. I'd rather just buy the damned things.

Stack multiple strips of cooked bacon on top of each other. Cut through
with a knife into thin strips or chunks of desired size. Probably takes
all of five seconds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Omelet" > wrote
>
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>>
>>> "Omelet" > wrote

>>> Okay. Good.

>> Whatever... <sigh>
>>
>> I'm glad that you don't have that issue.
>> Did you even consider posting how _you_ make them instead of just
>> attacking me?

> I didn't attack you. I said I thought you must be joking if
> you were asking how to make bacon bits. I consider that to
> be more of a compliment than anything. I knew you wouldn't
> have to ask that. I was wrong.
>
> nancy

So, you're saying her comedy was excellent, and she should be on the
Letterman show.
{smirk}

drag bits, step drag bits, chevron drag bits, API Reg thread dragbits, API IF thread drag bits, Arod thread drag bits, Nrod thread drag bits,2-wings drag bits, 3-wings drag bits, 4-wings drag bits, carbide drag bits,PDC drag bits, clay bits Jack[_10_] Baking 0 02-06-2009 03:02 AM
REAL Canadian Bacon - Back Bacon - Peameal Bacon Online. [email protected] General Cooking 1 15-09-2007 04:41 PM
Making Bacon Bits Damsel in dis Dress General Cooking 7 10-07-2006 04:34 AM
Making Bacon Bits Andy General Cooking 3 10-07-2006 04:31 AM
How are Bacon Bits made? jacqui{JB} General Cooking 35 21-03-2004 01:33 PM