Old 06-09-2011, 03:38 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Swedish Hospital Cherry Hill Food

its a slab house if there is no basement, or there is no foundation that can
be entered to do work on the heating water. the one next door to my parents
house was a slab house, it had carpet and tile directly on the floor which
was concrete, but it was a brick home and quite cozy and warm in the
winter... an older couple lived there, Lee
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
there are pros and cons to basement/slab/crawl space... we choose no
basement because we are with this house planning for being older, when we
choose the one that burnt my abject fear of stairs played in, we have
lived in houses/apts with stairs but its too strressful... storage is a
pro/con issue... on one hand it allows for easy keeping of things not
often used and things that fit into the memory catagor... but that is
also the con... the pro side of that isn't big enough to overcome my fear
of stairs.

I don't know squat about slab housing as i never lived in one and didn't
do research as my father advised against it... Lee

I think this is a slab house. Not sure. My parents have a split level
and it is a real pain for me now. I also worry that my dad will fall down
the stairs. He has fallen a lot lately. And don't ask me why but...
They put a fridge in their basement. Which is fine, but... They insist
on keeping all of their beverages in it. So whenever someone wants a cold
drink, they have to go downstairs. I always sneak an extra or two of my
Lime Diet Cokes upstairs. They do have a beverage holder compartment in
the door of their fridge. They don't use it. For the life of me I can't
fathom why.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:39 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
a comparision to a car is a good one, and if i can get in and get there it
works for me, a couple of cars back we decided to pay cash, after a couple
of brand new we determined that used was fine... so now we pay cash, buy a
reasonable transport and have lots of money to take it around to places we
want to see and things we want to do... Lee

I'm different there. I buy a new car and keep it for a lot of years. I
always buy with no interest, having the money in the bank to pay for it if
it comes to that, but I'd sooner use their money when I can. :-)

Cheri

Old 06-09-2011, 03:39 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
On 9/4/2011 6:22 PM, W. Baker wrote:
Tiger wrote:

: The is an elderly couple who take a taxi to/from the restaurant every
: day for their dinner. Dinner is 4:30 pm for them and they take home
1/2
: the senior's portion they just ate. The lady indicates that a soft
: boiled egg, toast and coffee is their morning meal; the left overs
are
: their mid day meal; dinner ensures they have at least lunch at home
the
: next day.

: i didn't define elderly
: he's 102 and she's 97

: kate

Do they have a senior feeding program either like senior lunches for a
small fee or meals on wheels whic bring a prepared meal to the house 5
das
a week? The other meals woul only entail light shopping that your
mother
could learn to do or that one of you could send over or oder from the
computer.

Wendy

Wendy, Meals on Wheels provides this service to the elderly. I don't
know about the remote area that Julie's parents live in. I know some
restaurants make your choice from 10 items, prepared in advance, frozen
and you only need to reheat them. These would be more upscale meals and
typically are a touch more appealing than the meals on wheels options.

I know that is available in Seattle. Don't know about where they live.
But I know they would never eat that. Between all their dietary issues
and pickiness it would never work.

Its amazing what people will do when there aren't other options though.
The time has now come where they have to rethink their whole lifestyle.
Its too late to say they should have thought these things out a long time
ago though. I used to care for a man who had a stroke, his wife is a well
known author. They lived not all that far from me but on acres in this
wonderful valley. The wife couldn't look after him and write as well so
she got a nursing service in to do all his personal needs stuff twice a
day. She also hired a woman who came in and cooked fabulous meals a few
times a week. They didn't need to be frozen as she was there often enough.
She would also do a bit of basic housework as well. It worked for them. I
have tried online shopping a couple of times, didn't like it as much as
going to the supermarket myself but that is workable. You could order for
them if they choose that path.

I found out tonight that most likely he will not be allowed to drive for 6
months. He is doing quite well in some ways but there are some memory
issues. We were told this will most likely get better.

I told the person who was working with him that my mom doesn't like to cook
(she took offense to this) and that they normally go out to eat, which they
do. I also told her that he doesn't know how to cook much, which he
doesn't. So she said they would put him in the kitchen and teach him how to
cook a few things. My mom seemed a bit horrified at this and said he was
capable of getting his own cereal and making eggs if he wanted them. And
that she could cook but didn't because *he* liked to go out to eat. I am
not sure how much truth there is in this at all. Frankly I don't think so.

Yes, I know they both like to go out to eat and always have. But I think it
is more a matter of her not wanting to cook over the years and her being so
limited as to what she will cook.

I guess we will just have to see how that goes. Personally I don't think
she should be allowed to drive but they did just renew her license in May.
She is very stubborn and will fight me tooth and nail if I try to do the
shopping for them (which I likely could not because she is super picky about
brands and things) or even drive them to the store. She hates to shop and
worse yet she and my dad hate to go shopping with me! I like to go up and
down every aisle looking for new products and if I am going to buy something
I read the label. That is not how she shops. Although my dad does like to
look for new things and will frequently pick up things that catch his eye
that are not on the list.

I may have to drive them to some Drs. appointments and such. My SIL has her
hands full with her own parents who are older than mine. And my nephew is
now back in college and baby-sits his girlfriend's nieces and nephews in his
spare time. So that kind of just leaves me.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:41 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
had we to do it over, we would have rented and banked the difference, that
would have really allowed for a lot more travel, Lee

We bought our house late in life, and now I wish we had just kept renting.
New roofs, and many upgrades aren't cheap, and moving on in retirement isn't
all that easy with a house to sell, especially in this market. :-)

Cheri

Old 06-09-2011, 03:44 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

i totally understand, in 92 that is what we were approved for, i choked...
no thanks... but as to angelas dance, if it interests her, and gives her
exercise of mind and body i see no reason you shouldn't try and save to do
it, Lee
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
OMG i couldn't sleep at night with that sized payment... like susan
said... when you go to the bank... and they approve you for some huge
amount, when we bought in 92 we were approved for ten times what we
spent... i simply couldn't do that, but then i can't sleep when we have a
note on a car or owe on a credit card, so we got rid of the cards, and dh
buys for cash on the cars, Lee

Well we have no choice. That is what it costs to live here. They
approved us for $350,000.00 and there is just no way we could have done
that. The amount we pay is already difficult and requires constant
budgeting on my part. My other half just thinks he makes a lot of money
and can then spend a lot. He has no clue how hard I work to try to save
money. Yes, I know Angela's dance costs a lot of money. She is indeed
lucky that we are able to pay for it. My husband's car payment is also a
problem. Angela and I were very angry over the brand new car. I have
never had a new car and probably never will. It's just an expense that we
don't need. And it was hit right off the bat after he got it. So...
Grrrrr.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:48 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

My husband is going to try to do that but I don't know because it is
financed at a pretty low rate. And it needs sooo many repairs it
wouldn't pass inspection. The house is not up to code and we can't
afford to put it that way.

I love renting too. But I couldn't convince my husband to rent.
There are apartments around the corner from here. Angela's friend
lives in them. The rent is half what we pay for a 3 bedroom, 2 full
bath. Free pizza and movies on Mondays and there is a pool and some
other amenities. I would be fine with that. He is not.

Ooo, I would be fine with that too My kids are too old for a yard now
so we don't need one, although I do have Jasmine's trampoline and swing
set in the small one we have. I am surprised the mortgage company
approved the loan with the house not up to code. They need to know they
can get their money of you default. Being a home owner has been
instilled into a lot of people by parents etc and is not necessarily the
right thing for some people.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:48 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

that is a viable option, one of the last new ones had a zero finance and
rebate, dh convinced me to take part of it as a note to get through the
winter and not draw money from somewhere else... so that is what we did, we
still have that pickup its ten years old... they wanted us to take four
years to pay but dh said no two, and we got through the winter which is our
slow time at work then he paid it off the next summer, Lee

Old 06-09-2011, 03:52 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

on the plus side is that we can easily live where we have the house until it
does sell, the bridge of getting accomodations where we land might make it
tight but probably not undoable, and honestly, i think i prefer travelling
while we are still healthy enough to enjoy it when we can rather than
retireing divesting and then being too old to enjoy that raft rid, Lee

Old 06-09-2011, 03:55 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

Tiger wrote:

[...]

Dunno how it works there but here, in this situation, a social worker
would come and talk to the patient and spouse/carer to make sure
everything is going to be ok when the patient is discharged. If someone
other than you can do all the talking that your mum hates it might have
a better effect. Eventually your mum will realise she has to "give" on a
few things.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:05 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

i am not sure about elswhere either, but if the social worker is not
convinced that adequate care will be given they can reccomend that the
paitent is only released to assitive living or a nursing care facility, once
this happens lots of the choices are removed from the patient and spouse...
my brother who is 55 was in this quandry as he is now single and his
children work/and aren't close, in order to get him released from the
hospital the last time my mom had to spend two weeks with him it was a month
the time before that. Lee
"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

Old 06-09-2011, 04:06 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
and even if the basics/dry goods are odered online and fresh is picked up
that works also, there are always options in this situation, my mother and
i recently discussed this and she said in no way would they move in with
any of us it would be assisted living or a nursing home as its too
stressful for the caregivers once you can't live alone, she was dead
serious and meant every word... Lee

Safeway still delivers groceries here but I doubt they would go for that.

I do know that I am not capable of caring for anyone for any length of time.
I tried to do that with my MIL but given my own medical problems and
disability I am not fit for that. I can cook meals and do a little light
housekeeping. That's it!

We don't have any room in our house for them at all. I don't think my
brother does either and nobody would be home at their house anyway.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:08 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
i meant exactly what i said, focus is you make it a home and you think it
is an investment... i just had a very modest home burn we paid 35k for that
one, the replacement should end up being around 150k and is a bit smaller..

as to the difference in focus, a house is a place to sleep and get clean
and store stuff... my home is wherever dh happens to be and has no
relation to a particular structure/location... housing is not an
investment to me, it only costs money, the only thing we consider
investments are things that generate income. IE

just as i said a difference in focus, please don't take offense at a
perceived judgement that did not occur... Lee

I don't consider our house an investment either. We bought it so late in
life. We bought it when the price was high. Not the highest but close to
it. And now the price is worth less than what we paid. Houses are just not
selling in this neighborhood any more. Yes the new houses are selling. But
not the older ones.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:12 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

knowing your limits and those of your brother is an excellent starting
point, it might be a screaming match but you and brother if he will are
going to just have to say, this is what we can do to help, in order to keep
you out of a nursing home this is what we need to have you do... that could
be shopping with you, o r letting you shop for them... i swear julie scaring
them into understanding that once socail services gets into it is an ok
stratedgy, i have seen som horrid results when even well meaning socail
service people get into it, Lee

Old 06-09-2011, 04:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

i don't care if you bought it new and cheap and it is now worth three times
what you paid... an investment is something that provides ongoing income a
house is not, it is a place you pay rent to yourself for the priviiligde of
living there, nothing more or less, most houses get sold under stress, a
fact that people don't pyay attention to often, your job changes, you retire
or one of you becomes disabled to the point you must sell or lose
everything, there are very few imho sales that are on the terms of the
seller... bless those who can... one of the best explainations i ever read
was that richdad/poor dad guys explaination of what an investment is... it
was funny when we read it, the dh is reading, and i busted out laughing...
he says whats funny... i said, are you getting royalties or what. Lee

Old 06-09-2011, 04:22 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
its a slab house if there is no basement, or there is no foundation that
can be entered to do work on the heating water. the one next door to my
parents house was a slab house, it had carpet and tile directly on the
floor which was concrete, but it was a brick home and quite cozy and warm
in the winter... an older couple lived there, Lee

Our water heater is in the tiny garage. It is called a garage because there
is a garage door but you couldn't fit a car in there. There is a crawlspace
under the house. So maybe not a slab?