Old 05-09-2011, 05:37 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Swedish Hospital Cherry Hill Food

interesting, Lee
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
seems like they had something they wanted to sell you, or it was a
builder that had supplies to use, that occurs a lot here with subdivision
builders,... also the only thing that really determines what sells/makes
costs go up are things like earthquakes or flood issues... one thing that
most of the builders kept trying to sell us was the "tornado/storm" safe
room/location... only xxx estra/ and to date i have never been in a home
that has one... most people do have a basement here. so that is what
they use. Lee

I don't know. I did just look it up online and it said at many sites that
basements aren't cost effective.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:51 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/4/2011 6:22 PM, W. Baker wrote:
Tiger wrote:

: The is an elderly couple who take a taxi to/from the restaurant every
: day for their dinner. Dinner is 4:30 pm for them and they take home 1/2
: the senior's portion they just ate. The lady indicates that a soft
: boiled egg, toast and coffee is their morning meal; the left overs are
: their mid day meal; dinner ensures they have at least lunch at home the
: next day.

: i didn't define elderly
: he's 102 and she's 97

: kate

Do they have a senior feeding program either like senior lunches for a
small fee or meals on wheels whic bring a prepared meal to the house 5 das
a week? The other meals woul only entail light shopping that your mother
could learn to do or that one of you could send over or oder from the
computer.

Wendy

Wendy, Meals on Wheels provides this service to the elderly. I don't
know about the remote area that Julie's parents live in. I know some
restaurants make your choice from 10 items, prepared in advance, frozen
and you only need to reheat them. These would be more upscale meals and
typically are a touch more appealing than the meals on wheels options.

kate
Old 05-09-2011, 05:57 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/4/2011 11:52 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
amazing, i have looked at house plans all over the us, contractors, modular
homes and so on... even some subdivision plans, all have additional
bathrooms in different configurations as options, from the standard one
bathroom then add a half bath on up, even saw a few that had one full bath
central to the bedrooms and three different half baths, one in master
bedroom, one off livingroom and one between two other bedrooms, now that one
was kinda weird, Lee

the bath between 2 bedrooms (especially if they are the children's
bedrooms) is very handy

the homes i see this in typically have an ensuite in the master bedroom
and a 1/2 bath in an area closer to the living/dining areas

i know of 2 folks sharing a house, and one uses the bed/bath/bed as a
bed/bath/closet & sewing room

unfortunately, from the sounds of it, i live in an early 1950's bungalow
with a lone bathroom that we share on the main level (spare one
downstairs for those 'emergencies' that come up) LOL (teenlet knows i
get the upstairs one if we are both heading there at the same time LOL)

kate
Old 05-09-2011, 06:05 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger wrote:

[...]

I know that is available in Seattle. Don't know about where they live. But
I know they would never eat that. Between all their dietary issues and
pickiness it would never work.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:44 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

: Tiger wrote:

: : The is an elderly couple who take a taxi to/from the restaurant every
: : day for their dinner. Dinner is 4:30 pm for them and they take home 1/2
: : the senior's portion they just ate. The lady indicates that a soft
: : boiled egg, toast and coffee is their morning meal; the left overs are
: : their mid day meal; dinner ensures they have at least lunch at home the
: : next day.
:
: : i didn't define elderly
: : he's 102 and she's 97
:
: : kate
:
: Do they have a senior feeding program either like senior lunches for a
: small fee or meals on wheels whic bring a prepared meal to the house 5 das
: a week? The other meals woul only entail light shopping that your mother
: could learn to do or that one of you could send over or oder from the
: computer.
:
: Wendy

: Wendy, Meals on Wheels provides this service to the elderly. I don't
: know about the remote area that Julie's parents live in. I know some
: restaurants make your choice from 10 items, prepared in advance, frozen
: and you only need to reheat them. These would be more upscale meals and
: typically are a touch more appealing than the meals on wheels options.

: kate

In the very rural Margateville area there is a senior feeding program at
the local Methodist church(not church run, but gov't run) it has a luch
program for those who can travel or be bussed there and home delivered
meals for those who are homebound. Menus issues monthly-no choice, but
very inexpensive and standard institutional nutritions. Many of the town
have a similar program in Delaware county. Judging from the number of
food stores that Julie seems to have available at less than 50 miles away,
I would say that her area is far less rural than Delaware County.

Wendy

Old 05-09-2011, 07:57 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article , "W. Baker"
wrote:

In the very rural Margateville area there is a senior feeding program at
the local Methodist church(not church run, but gov't run) it has a luch
program for those who can travel or be bussed there and home delivered
meals for those who are homebound. Menus issues monthly-no choice, but
very inexpensive and standard institutional nutritions. Many of the town
have a similar program in Delaware county. Judging from the number of
food stores that Julie seems to have available at less than 50 miles away,
I would say that her area is far less rural than Delaware County.

doesn't really matter. Julie is convinced there is no solution except the
continuing subjection of her and her kin to this situation. no matter what ideas
or solutions you offer, she will find some way to criticize it.

please don't try to deprive her of her angst
Old 05-09-2011, 11:51 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
i would never be comfortable spending that kind of money on something
that just keeps you dry... truth be told there are some here much more
than that, but i have never been interested in more than dry and
having hygene needs met, i would rather spend money on other things,
nothing wrong with having that much house if that is your focus, just
insane to me... i can do a lot of travelling for that kind of cash...
housing really is ymmv, Lee

I agree, housing is like a car to me. The car to get from A to B, the
house to be comfortable. My current house is a bit below par but
certainly liveable. The house next door which is similar is up for sale
for $379,000. Everywhere I have lived in the past 12 years has been an
area where $500,000+ is the norm.

I divorced my first husband in 1986 and about 5-6 years ago he sold our
home for 1.2 million. 3 bedroom full brick, Federation home, master
built by his grandfather but needing work. It was on 3/4 of an acre in
Sydney suburbia so that's what shot the price up. 1 bathroom with a
toilet in the bathroom and one toilet outside.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:06 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger wrote:

[...]

There are some really nice frozen meals delivered to the door and they
would be cheaper than restaurant meals too. My aunt was laid up with a
broken leg for a while and she is an avid cook, never makes a thing out
of a packet. I have loved going to her house all my life Anyway she
had to get some frozen meals in (they weren't the diet plan type). A
small independent company that made realistic meals, not a thin slice of
meat, 3 peas and a tablespoon of rice and 90% of the weight of the meal
as a sauce, lol).

Old 06-09-2011, 12:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger wrote:

[...]

Its amazing what people will do when there aren't other options though.
The time has now come where they have to rethink their whole lifestyle.
Its too late to say they should have thought these things out a long
time ago though. I used to care for a man who had a stroke, his wife is
a well known author. They lived not all that far from me but on acres in
this wonderful valley. The wife couldn't look after him and write as
well so she got a nursing service in to do all his personal needs stuff
twice a day. She also hired a woman who came in and cooked fabulous
meals a few times a week. They didn't need to be frozen as she was there
often enough. She would also do a bit of basic housework as well. It
worked for them. I have tried online shopping a couple of times, didn't
like it as much as going to the supermarket myself but that is workable.
You could order for them if they choose that path.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:37 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

a comparision to a car is a good one, and if i can get in and get there it
works for me, a couple of cars back we decided to pay cash, after a couple
of brand new we determined that used was fine... so now we pay cash, buy a
reasonable transport and have lots of money to take it around to places we
want to see and things we want to do... Lee

Old 06-09-2011, 02:45 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

and even if the basics/dry goods are odered online and fresh is picked up
that works also, there are always options in this situation, my mother and i
recently discussed this and she said in no way would they move in with any
of us it would be assisted living or a nursing home as its too stressful for
the caregivers once you can't live alone, she was dead serious and meant
every word... Lee

Old 06-09-2011, 03:14 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
and something i forgot to mention, beyond the price you have also
mentioned a sauna, something neither of us find needed for keeping
clean or dry, we prefer to use those sorts of facilities while
travelling/in hotels, but again, its a difference in perspective...
our house wasn't crayppy and neither is the new one coming but its
really modest and energy effecient and maintainace free as possible,
so we can persue the things that interst us, instead of devoting time
to a house that is a house and has no emotional investment, Lee

I would be more upset about the presumption that you live in a crap box
than anything else.

I don't have emotional investment in any house. Probably why I find it
easy to set up home wherever, as long as my family are there that's all
that matters to me.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:16 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
there are pros and cons to basement/slab/crawl space... we choose no
basement because we are with this house planning for being older, when we
choose the one that burnt my abject fear of stairs played in, we have
lived in houses/apts with stairs but its too strressful... storage is a
pro/con issue... on one hand it allows for easy keeping of things not
often used and things that fit into the memory catagor... but that is also
the con... the pro side of that isn't big enough to overcome my fear of
stairs.

I don't know squat about slab housing as i never lived in one and didn't
do research as my father advised against it... Lee

I think this is a slab house. Not sure. My parents have a split level and
it is a real pain for me now. I also worry that my dad will fall down the
stairs. He has fallen a lot lately. And don't ask me why but... They put
a fridge in their basement. Which is fine, but... They insist on keeping
all of their beverages in it. So whenever someone wants a cold drink, they
have to go downstairs. I always sneak an extra or two of my Lime Diet Cokes
upstairs. They do have a beverage holder compartment in the door of their
fridge. They don't use it. For the life of me I can't fathom why.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:23 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
OMG i couldn't sleep at night with that sized payment... like susan
said... when you go to the bank... and they approve you for some huge
amount, when we bought in 92 we were approved for ten times what we
spent... i simply couldn't do that, but then i can't sleep when we have a
note on a car or owe on a credit card, so we got rid of the cards, and dh
buys for cash on the cars, Lee

Well we have no choice. That is what it costs to live here. They approved
us for $350,000.00 and there is just no way we could have done that. The
amount we pay is already difficult and requires constant budgeting on my
part. My other half just thinks he makes a lot of money and can then spend
a lot. He has no clue how hard I work to try to save money. Yes, I know
Angela's dance costs a lot of money. She is indeed lucky that we are able
to pay for it. My husband's car payment is also a problem. Angela and I
were very angry over the brand new car. I have never had a new car and
probably never will. It's just an expense that we don't need. And it was
hit right off the bat after he got it. So... Grrrrr.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:36 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

this is the very reason i am not upset by someone elses judgement of a house
they have never seen, when at the same time accusing me of making judgements
i did not make, sorta sad really , Lee