Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hospital food...

Very glad to hear that ChrisD is okay, but it got me thinking about
hospital food - blech!!

Only time I ever enjoyed food in hospital was after having a C-section.
They put me on a "liquid diet" for 36 hours after the operation - I only
got clear soups and fruit juice... When I was finally allowed to eat
"solid" food they brought me some roast lamb and seasonal vegetables and
I almost licked the plate Mind you, I was so hungry by then, I would
have eaten "anything" that vaguely resembled food. LOL

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> Very glad to hear that ChrisD is okay, but it got me thinking about
> hospital food - blech!!

I have only been in the hospital once - for emergency gall bladder
removal. I *had to* eat before I could go home. I have no
recollection of what they served me other than a dry, baked chicken
breast and a Sprite, but I ate half of it and got to come home. Once
home, all I could eat was Corn Chex with skim milk for about a week.
My recovery was worse than my hospital stay!

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 09:23:41 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> wrote:

>Very glad to hear that ChrisD is okay, but it got me thinking about
>hospital food - blech!!
>
>Only time I ever enjoyed food in hospital was after having a C-section.
>They put me on a "liquid diet" for 36 hours after the operation - I only
>got clear soups and fruit juice... When I was finally allowed to eat
>"solid" food they brought me some roast lamb and seasonal vegetables and
>I almost licked the plate Mind you, I was so hungry by then, I would
>have eaten "anything" that vaguely resembled food. LOL

When I was in hospital in Holland I was on total parental feeding for
a month (intravenous) and my first meal after was called "pap" which
is a sort of gruel (wheat I think) mixed with meat or vegetable paste.
Basically, baby food.

It was surprisingly good although I suppose suffering hunger pangs for
a month while your hospital roommates were served their normal meals
had something to do with that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy said...

> Mind you, I was so hungry by then, I would
> have eaten "anything" that vaguely resembled food. LOL

I was on IV sodium and potassium chlorides for a week when I had
pancreatitis. I was allowed to gargle and spit out water in the meantime.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote in message
> Very glad to hear that ChrisD is okay, but it got me thinking about
> hospital food - blech!!
>
> Only time I ever enjoyed food in hospital was after having a C-section.
> They put me on a "liquid diet" for 36 hours after the operation - I only
> got clear soups and fruit juice... When I was finally allowed to eat
> "solid" food they brought me some roast lamb and seasonal vegetables and I
> almost licked the plate Mind you, I was so hungry by then, I would have
> eaten "anything" that vaguely resembled food. LOL
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

When I was in hospital last December for surgery I was surprised to find
that I was responsibile for deciding what to eat. It was like ordering room
service at a hotel. I received a menu and could order anything I liked. I
just had to have the order in an hour before I expected to eat. Meal times
were several hours long so I could also eat whenever I wanted. You could
order anything from a side of pickles to eggplant parmesan or sandwiches
that you designed yourself or fruit platters. The nurses said that allowing
the patients to eat this way was very positive -- the patients ate more and
better and ultimately the hospital saved money on food. The only thing I
didn't like was the broccoli. I really do like my broccoli thoroughly
cooked so that it doesn't crunch and this broccoli came pretty darn crunchy.
By the way, this is a local non-profit hospital.

Oh, and I recently had two tests and they both came back negative.

Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> I had 7 weeks with no food at all. Just crushed ice IIRC. My weight
> dropped to 130 pounds.

Good grief, Michael - that sounds awful!!

> I looked dead but I really do not remember much
> about it except what I am told. I guess I was pretty mean. When I was put
> into a step down room all I got was Jell-O, popsicles and ice cream for a
> few days and was gradually put on solid food. I'll never forget my first
> bowl of hospital cottage cheese. My mother said I enjoyed it like it was a
> 1 inch thick porterhouse off the grill. To this day I hate Jell-O. UGH...

Don't blame you!

> Naturally when I got home I gorged but had problems putting weight on. I
> think when I visited Margaret the next year my weight had gone up to 147.
> I looked better but was still very weak. I drank all of Marcel's scotch (I
> was his houseguest for the weekend

tee hee

> I'm back to normal weight wise. I'm
> at 155 pounds and eat like a pig.

Glad to hear it!

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B. wrote:

> When I was in hospital last December for surgery I was surprised to find
> that I was responsibile for deciding what to eat. It was like ordering room
> service at a hotel. I received a menu and could order anything I liked. I
> just had to have the order in an hour before I expected to eat. Meal times
> were several hours long so I could also eat whenever I wanted. You could
> order anything from a side of pickles to eggplant parmesan or sandwiches
> that you designed yourself or fruit platters. The nurses said that allowing
> the patients to eat this way was very positive -- the patients ate more and
> better and ultimately the hospital saved money on food. The only thing I
> didn't like was the broccoli. I really do like my broccoli thoroughly
> cooked so that it doesn't crunch and this broccoli came pretty darn crunchy.
> By the way, this is a local non-profit hospital.

Sounds like a 'good' hospital! But then I like my broccoli "crunchy"

> Oh, and I recently had two tests and they both came back negative.

That must have been a relief! Good to hear it.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Chatty Cathy said...
>
>> Mind you, I was so hungry by then, I would
>> have eaten "anything" that vaguely resembled food. LOL

> I was on IV sodium and potassium chlorides for a week when I had
> pancreatitis. I was allowed to gargle and spit out water in the meantime.

Andy,

Does not sound good - UGH. Hopefully you are doing okay now?

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Moreileas wrote:

> When I was in hospital in Holland I was on total parental feeding for
> a month (intravenous) and my first meal after was called "pap" which
> is a sort of gruel (wheat I think) mixed with meat or vegetable paste.
> Basically, baby food.
>
> It was surprisingly good although I suppose suffering hunger pangs for
> a month while your hospital roommates were served their normal meals
> had something to do with that.

The stuff we call "pap" here (South Africa) is made from maize meal -
its a staple food. It can be made into anything from "porridge" to
"stiff pap" which is served with gravy and is also a very popular side
dish when we have braai's (BBQs/grills).

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:

> Very glad to hear that ChrisD is okay, but it got me thinking about
> hospital food - blech!!
>
> Only time I ever enjoyed food in hospital was after having a C-section.
> They put me on a "liquid diet" for 36 hours after the operation - I only
> got clear soups and fruit juice... When I was finally allowed to eat
> "solid" food they brought me some roast lamb and seasonal vegetables and
> I almost licked the plate Mind you, I was so hungry by then, I would
> have eaten "anything" that vaguely resembled food. LOL
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Hmmm, I guess there is some distinction between what some patients on
restricted diets get and the "regular" food. I've eaten in hospital
cafeterias numerous times on everything from school science field trips
to video shoots and I've always found the food to be pretty good.

The one time I was in the hospital a few days many years ago (probably
about 8 at the time), I recall they brought menu slips for the next meal
when they brought each meal and then collected them an hour or two
before it was time to serve. I seem to recall there was a pretty good
selection to choose from and the food was pretty good.

Pete C.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:

> I have only been in the hospital once - for emergency gall bladder
> removal. I *had to* eat before I could go home. I have no
> recollection of what they served me other than a dry, baked chicken
> breast and a Sprite, but I ate half of it and got to come home. Once
> home, all I could eat was Corn Chex with skim milk for about a week.
> My recovery was worse than my hospital stay!

Sounds awful -L. even if I have never heard of Corn Chex! Need to google...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:

> Hmmm, I guess there is some distinction between what some patients on
> restricted diets get and the "regular" food. I've eaten in hospital
> cafeterias numerous times on everything from school science field trips
> to video shoots and I've always found the food to be pretty good.
>
> The one time I was in the hospital a few days many years ago (probably
> about 8 at the time), I recall they brought menu slips for the next meal
> when they brought each meal and then collected them an hour or two
> before it was time to serve. I seem to recall there was a pretty good
> selection to choose from and the food was pretty good.

They do that in some hospitals here too. But I am still glad that I
don't have to eat hospital food too often LOL. I can "always" smell
boiled cabbage whenever I go into a hospital, whether its just visiting
a patient or being there myself. BLECH.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> You got water? They even turned off the water to the sink in my
> attached bathroom. Yes - there was a toilet...[fade to static]

Ah.. you were on water restriction, eh? For a couple of disorders fluid
restrictions are very, very necessary and if they don't cut the water
off in the room the patients have been known drink out of the toilet (I
kid you not) and sink. Most patients can abide with their therapy, but
sometimes people aren't thinking clearly and it becomes almost a war of
wills.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz said...

> On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 07:36:26 -0500, Andy wrote:
>
>> Chatty Cathy said...
>>
>>> Mind you, I was so hungry by then, I would
>>> have eaten "anything" that vaguely resembled food. LOL

>> I was on IV sodium and potassium chlorides for a week when I had
>> pancreatitis. I was allowed to gargle and spit out water in the
>> meantime.

> You got water? They even turned off the water to the sink in my
> attached bathroom. Yes - there was a toilet...[fade to static]
>
> -sw

Heh heh heh! Ewww...

I think they charged me $10 a spit!!!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Last month, I had surgery in Mexico and the food was pretty good.

Four years ago, I had surgery in Brazil. The food was fine, but they
did not serve coffee at breakfast, they served chamomile tea instead.
The hospital believed it had healing properties.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> I wasn't allowed to eat or drink for 3-4 in the hospital once. I
> got liquids (but no real nutrients) through my IV. Which wasn't
> so bad as long as they kept the morphine coming.
>
> Except that the last thing I had to eat before I was admitted was
> a half-jar (or more) of some very powerful kimchi. My stomach had
> pretty much shut down for the duration, so all I could burp,
> taste, smell, and fart for almost 4 days was double-fermented
> cabbage.

Bit TMI there Steve, but you have my sympathy. I am not overly fond of
any type of cabbage...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> Very glad to hear that ChrisD is okay, but it got me thinking about
> hospital food - blech!!
>
> Only time I ever enjoyed food in hospital was after having a C-section.
> They put me on a "liquid diet" for 36 hours after the operation - I only
> got clear soups and fruit juice... When I was finally allowed to eat
> "solid" food they brought me some roast lamb and seasonal vegetables and
> I almost licked the plate Mind you, I was so hungry by then, I would
> have eaten "anything" that vaguely resembled food. LOL
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

I had a thyroidectomy last Feb. and when I pre-registered at the
hospital, I requested that they not bring food into my room unless I
request it. My sense is smell is closely related to my gag reflex
(nausea). I kept asking my husband to shut the door so that I didn't
have to smell food that passed by my room :-) Lo and behold, first
thing in the am....they walk in with a friggin smelly omelet that
gagged me. I gave it to my husband. I was only there for 36 hours and
I did fine just drinking fluids. I then had a two day stay at another
hospital for my cancer treatment and I brought my food. Even though
food came to my room, it was soooooooooooooooo disgusting it made me
want to cry.

It blows my mind that in an institution that is supposed to make sick
people, better....how much unhealthy foods that they bring to patients.
My mom, a diabetic, was given foods that were horrible for her diet.
I asked for vegan food and they were clueless. I'd just rather bring
my own food or not eat.

28 years ago, when I had my 1st c-section, I remember them bringing in
a tray of tea, broth, jello, ice pop....I just wanted to gag. My
husband went to baskin and robins and brought me jamocha almond fudge
ice cream. Now that hit the spot! Of course it wasn't healthy, but at
least it didn't make me want to cry!

With the exception of having great medical care and the hospital being
a great place for emergencies; I don't think that they are optimal
places for one to have a healthy diet. I'd rather starve than order a
meal there. Any hospital! Just watching my husband sit there and
slurp up that omelet.......................YUCK.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> Ah.. you were on water restriction, eh? For a couple of disorders fluid
> restrictions are very, very necessary and if they don't cut the water
> off in the room the patients have been known drink out of the toilet (I
> kid you not) and sink. Most patients can abide with their therapy, but
> sometimes people aren't thinking clearly and it becomes almost a war of
> wills.

Goomba,

You're a nurse, right?

Tell me this:
Do they serve the same food to the nursing staff in the cafeteria that
they do to the patients? I mean the patients that are only in for
"minor" operations, like appendix ops and the such like? (I am not
talking about "restricted diets" for the really serious stuff).

Would you eat the food they serve to those patients in your hospital?

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tofuqueen" > wrote in message
oups.com...
snip
> It blows my mind that in an institution that is supposed to make sick
> people, better....how much unhealthy foods that they bring to patients.
> My mom, a diabetic, was given foods that were horrible for her diet.
> I asked for vegan food and they were clueless. I'd just rather bring
> my own food or not eat.
>
> 28 years ago, when I had my 1st c-section, I remember them bringing in
> a tray of tea, broth, jello, ice pop....I just wanted to gag. My
> husband went to baskin and robins and brought me jamocha almond fudge
> ice cream. Now that hit the spot! Of course it wasn't healthy, but at
> least it didn't make me want to cry!
>
> With the exception of having great medical care and the hospital being
> a great place for emergencies; I don't think that they are optimal
> places for one to have a healthy diet. I'd rather starve than order a
> meal there. Any hospital! Just watching my husband sit there and
> slurp up that omelet.......................YUCK.

Ah-h-h, I wish you had been at my hospital. Food didn't come unless you
phoned for it and you could have done vegan to your heart's content. They
offered a portabello burger that would have sounded tasty if I had been
hungry. I just sort of surfed the menu hoping that something would appeal to
my non-existent appetite -- a side of pickles, a bag of chips, a bowl of
soup and some fruit, that kind of thing. The best was the yogurt, ice cream
and ginger ale.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:40:52 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>And the screws in my ankle costs $790 and $710/each (7 in all). I
>used 2 of them to fix a birdhouse a few years later. Expensive
>birdhouse. 2 are still in my ankle since they couldn't get them
>out easily.
>
>-sw

When you went in the operating room did you happen to see the tools
they use for installing the hardware? Looks like a construction site.
YIKES!!! Good think you get to sleep through it.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote in message
> Very glad to hear that ChrisD is okay, but it got me thinking about
> hospital food - blech!!
>
> Only time I ever enjoyed food in hospital was after having a C-section.
> They put me on a "liquid diet" for 36 hours after the operation - I only
> got clear soups and fruit juice... When I was finally allowed to eat
> "solid" food they brought me some roast lamb and seasonal vegetables and I
> almost licked the plate Mind you, I was so hungry by then, I would have
> eaten "anything" that vaguely resembled food. LOL
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

As a student nurse I worked on the wards and the patients (in the UK) got
reasonable food as long as they are NOT on a restricted diet. The poor
diabetics used to get their carbs portioned controlled, and a total sugar
free meal. Boiled potatoes, boiled fish and vegetables, no sauce what so
ever, I could have cried as I gave it to them. As a patient after my c
section I remembered some usefull tips and got quite reasonable food. The
soup was always good, as were the puddings, never order fries as they are
always cold and soggy!
The canteen (or restaurant as the hospital now calls it) is quite awful.
Sloppy food, grissley meat, too much salt, hard under-cooked potatoes, mushy
vegetables, you name it! The funniest thing was when one colleague asked
what the vegetarian option was.... chips and mushy peas! Once we asked what
the vegetables were... processed peas or mushy peas! It isn't even cheap,
cost 35 pence for one sausage! Toast with butter is 40 pence a slice.
Do not come to a UK hospital if you are a foody!

Sarah

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 07:36:26 -0500, Andy wrote:
>
> > Chatty Cathy said...
> >
> >> Mind you, I was so hungry by then, I would
> >> have eaten "anything" that vaguely resembled food. LOL

> > I was on IV sodium and potassium chlorides for a week when I had
> > pancreatitis. I was allowed to gargle and spit out water in the meantime.

> You got water? They even turned off the water to the sink in my
> attached bathroom. Yes - there was a toilet...[fade to static]
>
> -sw

<lol> Recall Kipling's "Gunga Din". ;-)

Amazing what you might drink when you think you are dying of thirst!

It's almost as bad as being unable to breathe I think.
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> Very glad to hear that ChrisD is okay, but it got me thinking about
> hospital food - blech!!
>
> Only time I ever enjoyed food in hospital was after having a C-section.
> They put me on a "liquid diet" for 36 hours after the operation - I only
> got clear soups and fruit juice... When I was finally allowed to eat
> "solid" food they brought me some roast lamb and seasonal vegetables and
> I almost licked the plate Mind you, I was so hungry by then, I would
> have eaten "anything" that vaguely resembled food. LOL

When I was 10 I was in the hospital for 3 weeks for a bad appendix that
was not diagnosed for nearly two weeks. For much of that time I had
nothing but IV feeding and my roommate and I talked mostly about food.

When I got home, after having nothing but clear broth and juices after
the surgery, I ate SIX BLTs with no after effects. Nothing before or
after has ever tasted so good.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Steve Wertz said...
>
> > On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 07:36:26 -0500, Andy wrote:
> >
> >> Chatty Cathy said...

> >> I was on IV sodium and potassium chlorides for a week when I had
> >> pancreatitis. I was allowed to gargle and spit out water in the
> >> meantime.

> > You got water? They even turned off the water to the sink in my
> > attached bathroom. Yes - there was a toilet...[fade to static]
> >
> > -sw

> Heh heh heh! Ewww...
>
> I think they charged me $10 a spit!!!
>
> Andy

Thirst is a primal instinct......

I'd never, EVER judge anyone for drinking from a toilet.

They are cleaned and disinfected daily after all..... ;-)

Just don't try to lick my face after you did it.

DOWN boy!

<lol>
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 09:08:49 -0500, Andy wrote:
>
> > I think they charged me $10 a spit!!!

> They charged me for room oxygen in 30-minute intervals. Not a
> mask, but just for air being pumped into the room. Every room had
> it.
>
> And the screws in my ankle costs $790 and $710/each (7 in all). I
> used 2 of them to fix a birdhouse a few years later. Expensive
> birdhouse. 2 are still in my ankle since they couldn't get them
> out easily.
>
> -sw

Car wreck?
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 10:44:15 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:40:52 GMT, Steve Wertz
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>And the screws in my ankle costs $790 and $710/each (7 in all). I
> >>used 2 of them to fix a birdhouse a few years later. Expensive
> >>birdhouse. 2 are still in my ankle since they couldn't get them
> >>out easily.

> > When you went in the operating room did you happen to see the tools
> > they use for installing the hardware? Looks like a construction site.
> > YIKES!!! Good think you get to sleep through it.

> They knocked me out before I got to see the operating room upon
> installation. I got to see the hardware when they took them out,
> though. Looked like a nice set of stainless steel Dewalt and
> Craftsman tools.
>
> My favorite is when they shoot you up and ask you to count
> backwards from 100. I always make it to 1. Sheeeeit - I ain't
> gonna go to sleep and waste a good buzz.
>
> -sw

<lol> I know what you mean!

The IV Demerol I got in the ER when I had that Salmonella infection
almost made it all worth while.

;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> Moreileas wrote:
>

> The stuff we call "pap" here (South Africa) is made from maize meal -
> its a staple food. It can be made into anything from "porridge" to
> "stiff pap" which is served with gravy and is also a very popular side
> dish when we have braai's (BBQs/grills).

Oh, grits!

gloria p
(g, d, and r)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet said...
>> My favorite is when they shoot you up and ask you to count
>> backwards from 100. I always make it to 1. Sheeeeit - I ain't
>> gonna go to sleep and waste a good buzz.
>>
>> -sw

> <lol> I know what you mean!
>
> The IV Demerol I got in the ER when I had that Salmonella infection
> almost made it all worth while.
>
> ;-)

I'll never forget getting my tonsils out at 25 y.o.. They had me on the
operating table with some sort of preparatory anethesia and then they
shot me with the real anesthesia and asked me to count backwards from
100. I said "I'm still awake!" Convinced there was some mistake. I think
I got to 96.

LOL!

I can laugh now, anyway.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet said...
> >> My favorite is when they shoot you up and ask you to count
> >> backwards from 100. I always make it to 1. Sheeeeit - I ain't
> >> gonna go to sleep and waste a good buzz.
> >>
> >> -sw

> > <lol> I know what you mean!
> >
> > The IV Demerol I got in the ER when I had that Salmonella infection
> > almost made it all worth while.
> >
> > ;-)

> I'll never forget getting my tonsils out at 25 y.o.. They had me on the
> operating table with some sort of preparatory anethesia and then they
> shot me with the real anesthesia and asked me to count backwards from
> 100. I said "I'm still awake!" Convinced there was some mistake. I think
> I got to 96.
>
> LOL!
>
> I can laugh now, anyway.
>
> Andy

Tonsils...

Ow!
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet said...

> In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet said...

>> > <lol> I know what you mean!
>> >
>> > The IV Demerol I got in the ER when I had that Salmonella infection
>> > almost made it all worth while.
>> >
>> > ;-)

>> I'll never forget getting my tonsils out at 25 y.o.. They had me on
>> the operating table with some sort of preparatory anethesia and then
>> they shot me with the real anesthesia and asked me to count backwards
>> from 100. I said "I'm still awake!" Convinced there was some mistake.
>> I think I got to 96.
>>
>> LOL!
>>
>> I can laugh now, anyway.
>>
>> Andy

> Tonsils...
>
> Ow!

Ow???

My ex gave me Blanche Knotts' Volume 1 of "Truly Tastless Jokes" to
recover with.

BITCH!!!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:

> You're a nurse, right?
>
> Tell me this:
> Do they serve the same food to the nursing staff in the cafeteria that
> they do to the patients? I mean the patients that are only in for
> "minor" operations, like appendix ops and the such like? (I am not
> talking about "restricted diets" for the really serious stuff).
>
> Would you eat the food they serve to those patients in your hospital?

The hospital kitchens are in no way connected to the cafeteria which is
an assortment of grills, salad bars, snacks, pizza and the sort. Our
Children's Medical Center hospital even has a McDonalds in the lobby
with many healthier food choices than most McD's offer. The hospital
doesn't provide food to staff for meals. And for me, working 12 hour
night shifts, the cafeteria isn't even open. I wouldn't eat the food
they serve to patients at my hospital, but then I rarely see it so
perhaps it has improved? I dunno? It is becoming quite the trend for
hospitals to do more custom meals, meals by request, round the clock
feeding options, special meals for new parents to include a glass of
wine... all in the hopes people will feel positively about that hospital
experience and choose that hospital for their care again.

I did once work at a small Catholic Hospital that served the same
food in their small cafeteria that the patients got and the food was
incredibly good! Discounted prices for staff helped keep business, but
even the public would come eat there after stopping in to visit a
patient or see a doctor. Perhaps smaller scale helped?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote on 12 Oct 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Would you eat the food they serve to those patients in your hospital?

A lot of city hospitals get their food opff premise...a money saver. They
contract it out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Andy wrote:

> Heh heh heh! Ewww...
>
> I think they charged me $10 a spit!!!
>
> Andy

The one of the drugs they used for my eye surgeries is $15,000.00 per
dose. I required two surgeries. Thank God we have half-way decent
insurance!

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> says...
> OmManiPadmeOmelet said...
> >> My favorite is when they shoot you up and ask you to count
> >> backwards from 100. I always make it to 1. Sheeeeit - I ain't
> >> gonna go to sleep and waste a good buzz.
> >>
> >> -sw

> > <lol> I know what you mean!
> >
> > The IV Demerol I got in the ER when I had that Salmonella infection
> > almost made it all worth while.
> >
> > ;-)

> I'll never forget getting my tonsils out at 25 y.o.. They had me on the
> operating table with some sort of preparatory anethesia and then they
> shot me with the real anesthesia and asked me to count backwards from
> 100. I said "I'm still awake!" Convinced there was some mistake. I think
> I got to 96.
>
> LOL!
>
> I can laugh now, anyway.
>
> Andy

I still remember getting my tonsils and adenoids out at the age of 4. I
remember that humungous mask they used to administer the aenesthesia. I
also remember the sickly green of the hospital and OR walls.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

T said...

> I still remember getting my tonsils and adenoids out at the age of 4. I
> remember that humungous mask they used to administer the aenesthesia. I
> also remember the sickly green of the hospital and OR walls.

I guess I went to school in a hospital wing, cause the walls were the same
puke green.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

T wrote:

> Oh, I'm out by either 99 or 98. Two weeks ago the oral surgeon slipped
> the IV in and said I'd start feeling relaxed when he took the
> tourniquette off. Thats the last thing I remembered.

That's why you paid 350.per wisdom tooth for a good extraction. Those
who go cheap and save money on the anesthesia often remember all the
gory details. LOL

Swedish Hospital Cherry Hill Food Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 145 15-09-2011 08:24 PM
Food at Children's Hospital Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 0 24-08-2011 04:38 AM
Hospital Dora General Cooking 20 18-04-2010 02:28 PM
Hospital Food (sort of a Brother Update) jmcquown General Cooking 36 06-10-2007 03:16 AM
Hospital Food (a DH Update) The Joneses[_1_] Preserving 21 06-10-2007 03:16 AM