Top Spin

Default How to measure tea

I see in the FAQ that there are several suggestions for measuring tea:

1. 1 tsp per person + 1 tsp for the pot. This seems problematic. I
bought some tea samples and they vary considerably in how dense they
are.

2. 1 tsp for anywhere from 5.5 oz to 16 oz of water. Again, this is a
large range.

3. 15 g per liter of water. This translates to about 2.66 g for a 6-oz
cup or about 10.65 g for a 4-cup pot.

A local tea shop has a handout that gives the amount of tea by weight
for a 4-cup pot. Most of the teas call for 6 g / pot, with a few
calling for 7 or 8. The herbals are more, up to 10 g / pot.

Browing the Upton site, I check 10-15 teas including blacks, oolongs,
and greens and they all caleld for 2 1/4 g/cup. If they mean a 6 oz
cup, that would be 10 g for a 24 oz (4 cup) pot. If they mean an 8 oz
cup, that would be 7.5 g for a 24 oz pot.

I have a scale with an accuracy of 1g. I usually use a 4-cup (24 oz)
pot. How much tea should I use by weight in grams?

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)
Mike Petro

My general rule of thumb is 1g for every 2oz of water, but then I like
my tea a little on the strong side. I also ONLY steep for 3 minutes to
avoid harshness. This yields a good cup to my tastes.

Mike
http://www.pu-erh.net

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 00:29:53 -0800, Top Spin >
cast caution to the wind and posted:

>I see in the FAQ that there are several suggestions for measuring tea:
>
>1. 1 tsp per person + 1 tsp for the pot. This seems problematic. I
>bought some tea samples and they vary considerably in how dense they
>are.
>
>2. 1 tsp for anywhere from 5.5 oz to 16 oz of water. Again, this is a
>large range.
>
>3. 15 g per liter of water. This translates to about 2.66 g for a 6-oz
>cup or about 10.65 g for a 4-cup pot.
>
>A local tea shop has a handout that gives the amount of tea by weight
>for a 4-cup pot. Most of the teas call for 6 g / pot, with a few
>calling for 7 or 8. The herbals are more, up to 10 g / pot.
>
>Browing the Upton site, I check 10-15 teas including blacks, oolongs,
>and greens and they all caleld for 2 1/4 g/cup. If they mean a 6 oz
>cup, that would be 10 g for a 24 oz (4 cup) pot. If they mean an 8 oz
>cup, that would be 7.5 g for a 24 oz pot.
>
>I have a scale with an accuracy of 1g. I usually use a 4-cup (24 oz)
>pot. How much tea should I use by weight in grams?

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
remove the "filter" in my email address to reply
Space Cowboy

My rule of thumb know your pot, know your tea, and know your tastebuds.
If the tea taste strong then more water or less tea, if weak less
water or more tea. Some people add temperature and a timer to the mix.
I just use boiling water and wait. I use a 1 liter pot for all teas
and I eyeball the amount from previous experience which might be a
pinch more for this and less for that. I use that figuratively, pinch
your tea for measurement of larger grades and palm for the smaller. If
you're a neophyte start with some recommended calculations then throw
away the sliderule when you realize your tastebuds are the only ones
that count. Brewing tea is an art form and not a science project. My
latest version of judging the perfect cuppa is waiting for the leaves
to look just right in the pot.

Jim

Top Spin wrote:
> I see in the FAQ that there are several suggestions for measuring

tea:

> 1. 1 tsp per person + 1 tsp for the pot. This seems problematic. I
> bought some tea samples and they vary considerably in how dense they
> are.
>
> 2. 1 tsp for anywhere from 5.5 oz to 16 oz of water. Again, this is a
> large range.
>
> 3. 15 g per liter of water. This translates to about 2.66 g for a

6-oz
> cup or about 10.65 g for a 4-cup pot.
>
> A local tea shop has a handout that gives the amount of tea by weight
> for a 4-cup pot. Most of the teas call for 6 g / pot, with a few
> calling for 7 or 8. The herbals are more, up to 10 g / pot.
>
> Browing the Upton site, I check 10-15 teas including blacks, oolongs,
> and greens and they all caleld for 2 1/4 g/cup. If they mean a 6 oz
> cup, that would be 10 g for a 24 oz (4 cup) pot. If they mean an 8 oz
> cup, that would be 7.5 g for a 24 oz pot.
>
> I have a scale with an accuracy of 1g. I usually use a 4-cup (24 oz)
> pot. How much tea should I use by weight in grams?
>
> --
> Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
> (11/09/04)

Top Spin

On 28 Jan 2005 09:41:45 -0800, "Space Cowboy" >
wrote:

>My rule of thumb know your pot, know your tea, and know your tastebuds.
>If the tea taste strong then more water or less tea, if weak less
>water or more tea. Some people add temperature and a timer to the mix.
>I just use boiling water and wait. I use a 1 liter pot for all teas
>and I eyeball the amount from previous experience which might be a
>pinch more for this and less for that. I use that figuratively, pinch
>your tea for measurement of larger grades and palm for the smaller. If
>you're a neophyte start with some recommended calculations then throw
>away the sliderule when you realize your tastebuds are the only ones
>that count. Brewing tea is an art form and not a science project. My
>latest version of judging the perfect cuppa is waiting for the leaves
>to look just right in the pot.

In the end, you are, of course, right. However, for an inexperienced
tea drinker, it is helpful to know how tea is supposed to taste.

For me, and I imagine many people, tea is an aquired taste. I first
tried it 20-30 years ago and did not like it at all. That might have
been because it was not good tea, not well prepared, etc.

I have returned to it in the last few years mainly because of health
reasons. I am finding that there are so many variables, that I would
like to try and get a handle on the way most people brew their tea. I
will then have to try various combinations within those ranges and
then make my own choices.

But it helps to have some general recommendations from those with more
experience. I'd just like to start my experimenting somewhere in the
"typical" range.

Thanks

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)
Melinda

By health reasons, I am guessing that you are more interested in greens. If
that is the case, the two most important things I think relate to getting a
(more) acceptable taste out of greens for the western/new palate a

Never use boiling water for greens

and

don't steep too long.

What's too long? This Christmas I received two greens which were brand new
to me from Holy Mountain as a gift from my sweetie. I had no prior
experience with these greens or ones quite like them, so my start was to use
a teaspoon a cup (heaping somewhat since they were twisty) and steeping
them, in a glass mason jar, at water around 170 (I am tending to use cooler
than the usually recommended 180 because I find 180 to bring out too much
harshness too soon...at least in the case of greens other than my run of the
mill gunpowder, which...I don't care about it's bitterness since I mix it
with mint). I steeped the first tea (huang shan mao feng) for around 30
seconds but found (to my memory..I could have the time wrong) that it wasn't
very strong. The next steep of those leaves I increased the time but not the
temp. It's touchy sometimes and depends on at what point your tastebuds say
the drink has become too bitter or astringent. For instance, some on here
love sencha (Japanese green) but I have been finding it too astringent for
me most of the time, so I prefer Chinese greens at this point.

My point is, each tea is actually pretty different and a 20-30 second
oversteep CAN make something pass into the realm of bitterness. I have found
that if I get a sample of a green I use the cooler water (even 165 or some
say 150) and then I taste it as it steeps and decant when I feel it's
reached where I want it. I like getting larger amounts of greens though so I
can have that tea over a period of time and get to know it better. But the
cooler water seems to let me get a handle on the new tea quicker than it
would if I were steeping at a higher one. My thought is make sure you start
with water at most at 170. Unless it's a more delicate green (gyokuro or
something) in which case...150-160? (comments on this from those who drink
it more often welcome).

Hope this helps somewhat.

Melinda

> In the end, you are, of course, right. However, for an inexperienced
> tea drinker, it is helpful to know how tea is supposed to taste.
>
> For me, and I imagine many people, tea is an aquired taste. I first
> tried it 20-30 years ago and did not like it at all. That might have
> been because it was not good tea, not well prepared, etc.
>
> I have returned to it in the last few years mainly because of health
> reasons. I am finding that there are so many variables, that I would
> like to try and get a handle on the way most people brew their tea. I
> will then have to try various combinations within those ranges and
> then make my own choices.
>
> But it helps to have some general recommendations from those with more
> experience. I'd just like to start my experimenting somewhere in the
> "typical" range.
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
> (11/09/04)

pilo_

In article >,
Mike Petro > wrote:

> My general rule of thumb is 1g for every 2oz of water, but then I like
> my tea a little on the strong side. I also ONLY steep for 3 minutes to
> avoid harshness. This yields a good cup to my tastes.

anything over 3 minutes is adding only astringency.
all the flavor is in the water by 3 minutes......pilo*
Bluesea

"Top Spin" > wrote in message
> I see in the FAQ that there are several suggestions for measuring tea:
>
> 1. 1 tsp per person + 1 tsp for the pot.

1 for the pot is an old wives' tale, I suspect started by those who like a
stiff brew.

> Browing the Upton site, I check 10-15 teas including blacks, oolongs,
> and greens and they all caleld for 2 1/4 g/cup. If they mean a 6 oz
> cup,

Yes, Upton adheres to the tea standard of a 6 oz. cup. I don't know where it
is on the website, if present, but it is stated in the hard-copy catalog.

> I have a scale with an accuracy of 1g. I usually use a 4-cup (24 oz)
> pot. How much tea should I use by weight in grams?

Start out w/ 2 g per 6 oz cup. Modify from there to suit your personal taste
after you gain experience with a tea. For example, for most teas for me, I
figure per 8 oz, but others, I figure per 6 oz.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Dog Ma 1

Bluesea wrote:
> 1 for the pot is an old wives' tale, I suspect started by those who like a
> stiff brew.
> Start out w/ 2 g per 6 oz cup.

The pejorative seems gratuitous. OWT implies myth. One per cup plus one for
the pot is a valid cultural preference, common in the UK and especially in
the cold north. Since tea there is often brewed in what most of us would
consider large pots, the "extra" measure might not make much difference to
taste. I'm going to hazard a guess that it evolved as a gesture of
generosity - since tea doesn't pile evenly, and can easily slip out of a
measuring spoon in the source tin, the extra shows good intention toward
guests.

Also, since the unit of measure is a teaspoon, 2g is about right. So what's
the gripe?

My mother's family is from Yorkshire, and that's the way we always had it. I
also saw it done that way routinely during the several years I spent in the
UK. Hardly an OWT.

-DM

Bluesea

"Dog Ma 1" (reply w/o spam)> wrote in message
> Bluesea wrote:
> > 1 for the pot is an old wives' tale, I suspect started by those who like

> > stiff brew.
> > Start out w/ 2 g per 6 oz cup.

> The pejorative seems gratuitous. OWT implies myth. One per cup plus one

for
> the pot is a valid cultural preference, common in the UK and especially in
> the cold north. Since tea there is often brewed in what most of us would
> consider large pots, the "extra" measure might not make much difference to
> taste. I'm going to hazard a guess that it evolved as a gesture of
> generosity - since tea doesn't pile evenly, and can easily slip out of a
> measuring spoon in the source tin, the extra shows good intention toward
> guests.
>
> Also, since the unit of measure is a teaspoon, 2g is about right. So

what's
> the gripe?
>
> My mother's family is from Yorkshire, and that's the way we always had it.

> also saw it done that way routinely during the several years I spent in

the
> UK. Hardly an OWT.

I'm sorry that you took it in a manner that I didn't intend. My point was
that some instruct to add extra tea that isn't necessary - that those who
instruct to do so are carrying on a tradition from "those who like a stiff
brew" which is *exactly* what I said.

What I didn't say was I've been told that the pot absorbs an amount of tea
so great as to require an extra teaspoon - that part *is* an OWT especially
for modern glazed, glass, or metal pots.

If the OP starts out w/ 2g per cup and finds that a stiffer brew is
preferred, by all means "add one for the pot." I'm not against regional
tastes, tradition, or personal preference; just nonsensical rationale for
doing things.

There was no gripe, no pejorative intended. I hope this clears up any
misunderstanding.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Top Spin

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:26:46 -0800, "Melinda" >
wrote:

>By health reasons, I am guessing that you are more interested in greens.

In one sense, yes. But I have found that a pot of (any) tea over an
afternoon will keep me from snacking. So I am experimenting with
greens, blacks, and oolongs.

It sounds like I need to do some experimenting. I have never tried a
temperature as low as 170, let alone 150, or a time under 2 minutes,
let alone 30 seconds.

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)
Top Spin

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 06:50:26 -0500, Mike Petro >
wrote:

>My general rule of thumb is 1g for every 2oz of water, but then I like
>my tea a little on the strong side. I also ONLY steep for 3 minutes to
>avoid harshness. This yields a good cup to my tastes.

From the reading I have been doing, that is a little more tea/cup than
most.

Upton recommends 2 1/4 g/cup or about 9 grams/4-cup pot (24 oz).

My local tea shop recommends anywhere from 6 to 10 grams/pot (24 oz).
The blacks are mostly 6, the oolongs mostly 7-8, the greens mostly 6,
and the herbals as much as 10.

Most sources seem to agree with your advice to keep the steeping time
constant and vary the amount of tea.

I have some experimenting to do.

Thanks

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)
Top Spin

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:15:25 GMT, Michael Plant >
wrote:

>Top 1/28/05

>snip
>
>> I have a scale with an accuracy of 1g. I usually use a 4-cup (24 oz)
>> pot. How much tea should I use by weight in grams?

>Here are my usual starting points: These are take off points, but they
>usually work pretty well. I find that increasing the amount of tea and
>decreasing the steep time gives a better cup than doing it the other way.
>These parameters will not work for Assam or Ceylon black teas because
>nothing does. There will be lots of different opinions on the Pu'erh params.
>Mike uses a higher proportion of leaf, I think. With Pu'erhs, I like to play
>with the time more since Pu'erhs can get unpleasant quickly if left to their
>own devices. Finally, 24 ounces is pretty big for me. My biggest tea brewing
>vessel of the moment is around 15 ounces. More usually, I brew between 2 and
>8 ounces at a time. Just thoughts
>
>Green Tea
>Half as many grams of tea as there are ounces of water.

That's slightly more than most recommend.

>Red Tea
>One third as many grams of tea as there are ounces of water
>or slightly more.

What's a red tea? I found several refernces in the FAQ to teas that
have a red liquor, but no red tea.

>Oolong Tea (assuming Gungfu)
>Twice as many grams of tea as there are ounces of water

Wow. I don't know what Gungfu is. Also not in the FAQ. But that's a
lot of tea -- as much as 6 times as much as most recommendations.

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)
Bluesea

"Top Spin" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:15:25 GMT, Michael Plant >
> wrote:
>
> >Red Tea
> >One third as many grams of tea as there are ounces of water
> >or slightly more.

> What's a red tea? I found several refernces in the FAQ to teas that
> have a red liquor, but no red tea.

China black a.k.a. China Congou a.k.a. red tea.

> >Oolong Tea (assuming Gungfu)
> >Twice as many grams of tea as there are ounces of water

> Wow. I don't know what Gungfu is. Also not in the FAQ. But that's a
> lot of tea -- as much as 6 times as much as most recommendations.

Yes, it's in the FAQ although spelled as "gongfu":

http://pages.ripco.net/~c4ha2na9/tea/faq.html#3.1.2.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Top Spin

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 05:30:23 GMT, "Bluesea"
> wrote:

>"Top Spin" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:15:25 GMT, Michael Plant >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Red Tea
>> >One third as many grams of tea as there are ounces of water
>> >or slightly more.

>> What's a red tea? I found several refernces in the FAQ to teas that
>> have a red liquor, but no red tea.

>China black a.k.a. China Congou a.k.a. red tea.

OK, thanks

>> >Oolong Tea (assuming Gungfu)
>> >Twice as many grams of tea as there are ounces of water

>> Wow. I don't know what Gungfu is. Also not in the FAQ. But that's a
>> lot of tea -- as much as 6 times as much as most recommendations.

>Yes, it's in the FAQ although spelled as "gongfu":
>
>http://pages.ripco.net/~c4ha2na9/tea/faq.html#3.1.2.

Got it. I also found some descriptions through Google (could have done
that before ;-) ). Now I see why such a high volume of tea leaves.

It's interesting that they use boiling water but green or oolong tea.
I have seen several warnings against water that is too hot for greens
and even for oolongs. Is it the very brief infusion that keeps it from
being bitter?

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)
Michael Plant

Top 1/30/05

snip

>> Green Tea
>> Half as many grams of tea as there are ounces of water.

> That's slightly more than most recommend.

It's a starting point, and usually works pretty well for me. Most vendors'
brewing instructions are sadly faulty.

>> Red Tea
>> One third as many grams of tea as there are ounces of water
>> or slightly more.

> What's a red tea? I found several refernces in the FAQ to teas that
> have a red liquor, but no red tea.

"Red" tea is what you know as "black" tea. Chinese nomenclature has another
black tea category, so using the designation "red tea" is helpful.

>> Oolong Tea (assuming Gungfu)
>> Twice as many grams of tea as there are ounces of water

> Wow. I don't know what Gungfu is. Also not in the FAQ. But that's a
> lot of tea -- as much as 6 times as much as most recommendations.

For Gung-fu tea, there are many many sources of information. Suffice it to
say here that when you use a small teapot of no more than five or six
ounces, fill it 1/4 to 1/3 full of fisted Oolong tea, use water off the
boil, steep for mere seconds if that, and pour into little cups about twice
the size of thimbles, you are on your way to Gung-fu tea. Follow links in
<http://www.imperialtea.com/> to learn more, but there are many others.

I never liked my Oolongs brewed in a more standard way using great amounts
of water, although I do it when Gung-fu is impossible. (Some say that there
is much more intricacy to Gung-fu tea, and without the necessary steps and
ceremony, it isn't really Gung-fu. This is opinion, which of course I
respect.

>> Green Pu'erh
>> Half as many grams of tea as there are ounces of water
>> (175F for around 3.5 to 4 minutes) Courtesy of Lew Perin
>>
>> or
>>
>> As many grams of tea as there are ounces of water
>> (hotter water, quickish steeps, Gungfu style)

Those are my thoughts.

Michael

Bluesea

"Top Spin" > wrote in message
news

> It's interesting that they use boiling water but green or oolong tea.
> I have seen several warnings against water that is too hot for greens
> and even for oolongs.

And for whites. Water that's too hot brings out the astringency in the
not-black teas which is nice to know if a tea seems harsh. It's possible to
smooth it down, sometimes to quite an extent, by lowering the temperature.

Also, while the standard recommendation for the not-black teas is 180F or
lower, Japanese greens seem to do better at 170F and below.

> Is it the very brief infusion that keeps it from being bitter?

I don't know. Before last week, I would have said "yes." But, then I ran
across http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tannin#Tea that states that green tea
does not release tannins. FWIW, I typically brew my greens and whites for
2-1/2 min. and my blacks for 2 to 4 min. depending on what it is.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Melinda

Doesn't anyone do this with greens 'cept me? I know I read someone on here
saying something about that, it's where I got the idea....in fact I seem to
remember reading someone somewhere (may have been another list) saying they
would try steeping greens at room temp water for a long time.

Melinda

--
"The country has entered an era in which
questions are not asked, for questions are
"Michael Plant" > wrote in message
> 1/28/05
>

>> In article >,
>> Mike Petro > wrote:
>>
>>> My general rule of thumb is 1g for every 2oz of water, but then I like
>>> my tea a little on the strong side. I also ONLY steep for 3 minutes to
>>> avoid harshness. This yields a good cup to my tastes.

>> anything over 3 minutes is adding only astringency.
>> all the flavor is in the water by 3 minutes......pilo*

> Can't entirely agree here, out of my experience. A lower temperature will
> bring the flavors to the water more slowly. Using Mike's formula at
> temperatures down to 175 allows even longer steeps without astringency.
> We're talking Pu'erhs of course.
>
> Michael

Melinda

I have had it recommended to me that gongfu isn't as good to do with greens
for just that reason, that the water is too hot and it stews the leaves even
if done for a short time. Others have allowed that I might be able to do it
using cooler water and a flatter pot (to let off the heat easier I think).
When I gongfu I do oolong in my yixing and I have a very small teapot that
is glazed that I do puer in, so it's not quite traditional, but I have been
able in it to keep the steeps short and use a little more leaf which is what
I was after. Steeping puer the "normal" way doesn't make much sense to me as
I feel I have less control over the final product. There is a whole world in
oolongs though, as well as each other catagory. The possibilities are
endless...

Melinda

> It's interesting that they use boiling water but green or oolong tea.
> I have seen several warnings against water that is too hot for greens
> and even for oolongs. Is it the very brief infusion that keeps it from
> being bitter?
>
> --
> Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
> (11/09/04)

Lewis Perin

"Melinda" > writes:

> Doesn't anyone do this with greens 'cept me? I know I read someone on here
> saying something about that, it's where I got the idea....in fact I seem to
> remember reading someone somewhere (may have been another list) saying they
> would try steeping greens at room temp water for a long time.

I do this in the summer. The flavor profile is different from brewing
with heat, but not necessarily inferior: there's almost no
bitterness. The texture seems different, too: almost creamy,
sometimes. Way more interesting than iced tea, in my opinion.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Ole Kvaal

Michael Plant wrote:
> On the subject of temperature/time continuum, I often brew greens at room
> temperature or close to room temperature, especially in summer for travel.
> And we are *not* alone. You are quite right.
>
> Michael

And what would the steeping time be, then?

rgds,
ole k
Lewis Perin

Ole Kvaal > writes:

> Michael Plant wrote:
> > On the subject of temperature/time continuum, I often brew greens at room
> > temperature or close to room temperature, especially in summer for travel.
> > And we are *not* alone. You are quite right.
> > Michael
> >

> And what would the steeping time be, then?

I use 15 minutes as a starting point.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

Ole Kvaal

Lewis Perin wrote:

>>>On the subject of temperature/time continuum, I often brew greens at room
>>>temperature or close to room temperature, especially in summer for travel.
>>>And we are *not* alone. You are quite right.
>>>Michael
>>>

>>And what would the steeping time be, then?

> I use 15 minutes as a starting point.

Thanks a lot. I'm also curious, why do you prefer using this procedure
in the summer? Is it closer to iced tea in some way, or what.

ole k
Lewis Perin

Ole Kvaal > writes:

> >>And what would the steeping time be, then?

> > I use 15 minutes as a starting point.

> Thanks a lot. I'm also curious, why do you prefer using this procedure
> in the summer?

It's simple. In the summer, I often don't feel like drinking
something hot, but I really don't like iced tea because it's too cold
to really taste it.

> Is it closer to iced tea in some way, or what.

When you brew green tea at room temperature, there's no astringency at
all, which can give it an almost creamy texture. I don't find myself
wanting it when the weather is cool, but try it - you might like it.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Ole Kvaal

Lewis Perin wrote:

> It's simple. In the summer, I often don't feel like drinking
> something hot, but I really don't like iced tea because it's too cold
> to really taste it.

> When you brew green tea at room temperature, there's no astringency at
> all, which can give it an almost creamy texture. I don't find myself
> wanting it when the weather is cool, but try it - you might like it.

Thanks again. Your replies have been marked "Important" and been stored
in my Thunderbird "Food and drink" search folder. :-)

ole k
crymad

Lewis Perin wrote:
> Ole Kvaal > writes:
>>
>> Thanks a lot. I'm also curious, why do you prefer using this
>> procedure in the summer?

> It's simple. In the summer, I often don't feel like drinking
> something hot, but I really don't like iced tea because it's
> too cold to really taste it.

I do this "cold brewing"/"mizu-dashi" of Sencha in the summer too.
Have a special cup for it too, somewhat like a small, stemless
brandy snifter with a charming sky-blue floral design, straight
from mid-60's Japan. I do like to put in one or two ice cubes
when drinking it. Don't load it up with ice, or the tea will get
too cold and the flavor will be lost.

--crymad
Melinda

That sounds lovely crymad. I've been using a tall narrow highball glass,
I think it is, for brewing oolong cold the last few days. It certainly gives
it something extra.

Melinda

--
"crymad" > wrote in message

> I do this "cold brewing"/"mizu-dashi" of Sencha in the summer too.
> Have a special cup for it too, somewhat like a small, stemless
> brandy snifter with a charming sky-blue floral design, straight
> from mid-60's Japan. I do like to put in one or two ice cubes
> when drinking it. Don't load it up with ice, or the tea will get
> too cold and the flavor will be lost.
>
> --crymad

crymad

Melinda wrote:
> That sounds lovely crymad. I've been using a tall narrow
> highball glass, I think it is, for brewing oolong cold the last
> few days. It certainly gives it something extra.

Yeah, I really like these glasses. They were dug out from a big
box of dishes at my wife's grandparents' house. Given their
fragility, I'm surprised they survived without breaking.

--crymad

Need help interpreting a measure Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 25 02-06-2010 01:38 AM
Easy way to measure shortening weaver Baking 9 12-06-2008 08:00 PM
Cheese measure, shredded vs whole don General Cooking 4 02-12-2005 08:21 PM
How to measure flour Roy Baking 1 22-05-2005 12:39 AM
how to measure splenda? [email protected] Diabetic 2 07-01-2004 05:30 PM