Melinda

By health reasons, I am guessing that you are more interested in greens. If
that is the case, the two most important things I think relate to getting a
(more) acceptable taste out of greens for the western/new palate a

Never use boiling water for greens

and

don't steep too long.

What's too long? This Christmas I received two greens which were brand new
to me from Holy Mountain as a gift from my sweetie. I had no prior
experience with these greens or ones quite like them, so my start was to use
a teaspoon a cup (heaping somewhat since they were twisty) and steeping
them, in a glass mason jar, at water around 170 (I am tending to use cooler
than the usually recommended 180 because I find 180 to bring out too much
harshness too soon...at least in the case of greens other than my run of the
mill gunpowder, which...I don't care about it's bitterness since I mix it
with mint). I steeped the first tea (huang shan mao feng) for around 30
seconds but found (to my memory..I could have the time wrong) that it wasn't
very strong. The next steep of those leaves I increased the time but not the
temp. It's touchy sometimes and depends on at what point your tastebuds say
the drink has become too bitter or astringent. For instance, some on here
love sencha (Japanese green) but I have been finding it too astringent for
me most of the time, so I prefer Chinese greens at this point.

My point is, each tea is actually pretty different and a 20-30 second
oversteep CAN make something pass into the realm of bitterness. I have found
that if I get a sample of a green I use the cooler water (even 165 or some
say 150) and then I taste it as it steeps and decant when I feel it's
reached where I want it. I like getting larger amounts of greens though so I
can have that tea over a period of time and get to know it better. But the
cooler water seems to let me get a handle on the new tea quicker than it
would if I were steeping at a higher one. My thought is make sure you start
with water at most at 170. Unless it's a more delicate green (gyokuro or
something) in which case...150-160? (comments on this from those who drink
it more often welcome).

Hope this helps somewhat.

Melinda