Top Spin

On 28 Jan 2005 09:41:45 -0800, "Space Cowboy" >
wrote:

>My rule of thumb know your pot, know your tea, and know your tastebuds.
>If the tea taste strong then more water or less tea, if weak less
>water or more tea. Some people add temperature and a timer to the mix.
>I just use boiling water and wait. I use a 1 liter pot for all teas
>and I eyeball the amount from previous experience which might be a
>pinch more for this and less for that. I use that figuratively, pinch
>your tea for measurement of larger grades and palm for the smaller. If
>you're a neophyte start with some recommended calculations then throw
>away the sliderule when you realize your tastebuds are the only ones
>that count. Brewing tea is an art form and not a science project. My
>latest version of judging the perfect cuppa is waiting for the leaves
>to look just right in the pot.

In the end, you are, of course, right. However, for an inexperienced
tea drinker, it is helpful to know how tea is supposed to taste.

For me, and I imagine many people, tea is an aquired taste. I first
tried it 20-30 years ago and did not like it at all. That might have
been because it was not good tea, not well prepared, etc.

I have returned to it in the last few years mainly because of health
reasons. I am finding that there are so many variables, that I would
like to try and get a handle on the way most people brew their tea. I
will then have to try various combinations within those ranges and
then make my own choices.

But it helps to have some general recommendations from those with more
experience. I'd just like to start my experimenting somewhere in the
"typical" range.

Thanks

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)