Top Spin

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:15:25 GMT, Michael Plant >
wrote:

>Top 1/28/05

>snip
>
>> I have a scale with an accuracy of 1g. I usually use a 4-cup (24 oz)
>> pot. How much tea should I use by weight in grams?

>Here are my usual starting points: These are take off points, but they
>usually work pretty well. I find that increasing the amount of tea and
>decreasing the steep time gives a better cup than doing it the other way.
>These parameters will not work for Assam or Ceylon black teas because
>nothing does. There will be lots of different opinions on the Pu'erh params.
>Mike uses a higher proportion of leaf, I think. With Pu'erhs, I like to play
>with the time more since Pu'erhs can get unpleasant quickly if left to their
>own devices. Finally, 24 ounces is pretty big for me. My biggest tea brewing
>vessel of the moment is around 15 ounces. More usually, I brew between 2 and
>8 ounces at a time. Just thoughts
>
>Green Tea
>Half as many grams of tea as there are ounces of water.

That's slightly more than most recommend.

>Red Tea
>One third as many grams of tea as there are ounces of water
>or slightly more.

What's a red tea? I found several refernces in the FAQ to teas that
have a red liquor, but no red tea.

>Oolong Tea (assuming Gungfu)
>Twice as many grams of tea as there are ounces of water

Wow. I don't know what Gungfu is. Also not in the FAQ. But that's a
lot of tea -- as much as 6 times as much as most recommendations.

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)