Dog Ma 1

Bluesea wrote:
> 1 for the pot is an old wives' tale, I suspect started by those who like a
> stiff brew.
> Start out w/ 2 g per 6 oz cup.

The pejorative seems gratuitous. OWT implies myth. One per cup plus one for
the pot is a valid cultural preference, common in the UK and especially in
the cold north. Since tea there is often brewed in what most of us would
consider large pots, the "extra" measure might not make much difference to
taste. I'm going to hazard a guess that it evolved as a gesture of
generosity - since tea doesn't pile evenly, and can easily slip out of a
measuring spoon in the source tin, the extra shows good intention toward
guests.

Also, since the unit of measure is a teaspoon, 2g is about right. So what's
the gripe?

My mother's family is from Yorkshire, and that's the way we always had it. I
also saw it done that way routinely during the several years I spent in the
UK. Hardly an OWT.

-DM