Old 01-06-2010, 09:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Need help interpreting a measure

I've got a recipe with this ingredient:
2 cans water-packed chunk white chicken (10 oz.), drained.

I'm planning to make half the recipe and I can't decide if that measure
as stated is to be 10 ounces total or 20 ounces (2 cans, 10 ounces each).
My chicken breast half weighs about 6.5 ounces and I'm trying to decide
what to do.

I await your counsel. You've got until about 5:30 p.m., CDT.
T'anks.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Old 01-06-2010, 09:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
| I've got a recipe with this ingredient:
| 2 cans water-packed chunk white chicken (10 oz.), drained.
|
| I'm planning to make half the recipe and I can't decide if that measure
| as stated is to be 10 ounces total or 20 ounces (2 cans, 10 ounces each).
| My chicken breast half weighs about 6.5 ounces and I'm trying to decide
| what to do.
|
| I await your counsel. You've got until about 5:30 p.m., CDT.
| T'anks.

The Swanson water packed chunk white etc. is a 9.75 oz packaging,
so they probably mean 20 oz total.

pavane

Old 01-06-2010, 09:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 1, 3:37*pm, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
I've got a recipe with this ingredient:
2 cans water-packed chunk white chicken (10 oz.), drained.

I'm planning to make half the recipe and I can't decide if that measure
as stated is to be 10 ounces total or 20 ounces (2 cans, 10 ounces each).
My chicken breast half weighs about 6.5 ounces and I'm trying to decide
what to do.

I await your counsel. *You've got until about 5:30 p.m., CDT.
T'anks.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller
Updated 4-24-2010 with food story and pictures

Can you not tell from the proportions of other ingredients? Barb,
this isn't rocket science - it's not like baking. Just do what you
think seems right. It can't possibly make a difference between 6.5
ounces and 10 ounces.

N.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/1/2010 3:37 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
I've got a recipe with this ingredient:
2 cans water-packed chunk white chicken (10 oz.), drained.

I'm planning to make half the recipe and I can't decide if that measure
as stated is to be 10 ounces total or 20 ounces (2 cans, 10 ounces each).
My chicken breast half weighs about 6.5 ounces and I'm trying to decide
what to do.

I await your counsel. You've got until about 5:30 p.m., CDT.
T'anks.

Most of the short cans of chicken around here weigh 5 ounces, sort of
like tuna does now. I would go with the 6.5 ounces and not worry about it.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/1/2010 3:37 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
I've got a recipe with this ingredient:
2 cans water-packed chunk white chicken (10 oz.), drained.

I'm planning to make half the recipe and I can't decide if that measure
as stated is to be 10 ounces total or 20 ounces (2 cans, 10 ounces each).
My chicken breast half weighs about 6.5 ounces and I'm trying to decide
what to do.

I await your counsel. You've got until about 5:30 p.m., CDT.
T'anks.

Ditch the tuna, add more chicken... then smother with a can of Cream of
Mushroom soup.

NOW your cooking! vbg

George L

Old 01-06-2010, 10:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
I've got a recipe with this ingredient:
2 cans water-packed chunk white chicken (10 oz.), drained.

I'm planning to make half the recipe and I can't decide if that measure
as stated is to be 10 ounces total or 20 ounces (2 cans, 10 ounces each).
My chicken breast half weighs about 6.5 ounces and I'm trying to decide
what to do.

I await your counsel. You've got until about 5:30 p.m., CDT.
T'anks.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Updated 4-24-2010 with food story and pictures

I say it's 10 oz. TOTAL. Weight designations after are commonly total
cumulative weights. Much the same as the difference between "1 cup nuts,
chopped" vs. "1 cup chopped nuts" or "1 tsp. cumin seed, ground" vs. "1 tsp
ground cumin seed". I've always thought of recipes like that as saying, if
you don't have 2 cans, use 10 oz. of whatever form you do have. When I
write recipes, I write them that way to accommodate people that may not have
access to the same igredients/brands as I do. Besides, both Chicken of the
Sea and Starkist come in 5 oz and 12 oz cans, not 10 oz cans or even 9.x
cans. Then again, I like my dishes with lots of protein so I'd probably use
both cans even when halving the recipe.

Jinx

Old 01-06-2010, 10:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jinx Minx" wrote in message ...

| "Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
| I've got a recipe with this ingredient:
| 2 cans water-packed chunk white chicken (10 oz.), drained.
|
| I'm planning to make half the recipe and I can't decide if that measure
| as stated is to be 10 ounces total or 20 ounces (2 cans, 10 ounces each).
| My chicken breast half weighs about 6.5 ounces and I'm trying to decide
| what to do.
|
| I await your counsel. You've got until about 5:30 p.m., CDT.
| T'anks.
|
| --
| Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
| http://web.me.com/barbschaller
| Updated 4-24-2010 with food story and pictures
|
| I say it's 10 oz. TOTAL. Weight designations after are commonly total
| cumulative weights. Much the same as the difference between "1 cup nuts,
| chopped" vs. "1 cup chopped nuts" or "1 tsp. cumin seed, ground" vs. "1 tsp
| ground cumin seed". I've always thought of recipes like that as saying, if
| you don't have 2 cans, use 10 oz. of whatever form you do have. When I
| write recipes, I write them that way to accommodate people that may not have
| access to the same igredients/brands as I do. Besides, both Chicken of the
| Sea and Starkist come in 5 oz and 12 oz cans, not 10 oz cans or even 9.x
| cans. Then again, I like my dishes with lots of protein so I'd probably use
| both cans even when halving the recipe.

She's talking about chicken, not tuna. The common chicken is Swanson, and
is indeed in a 9.75 oz package. BTW Chicken of the Sea does not package
chicken, in any weight.

pavane

Old 01-06-2010, 10:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jinx Minx wrote:

[...]

I'm going for 20oz total since the (10 oz) is in parens so modifies the
"cans water packed chunk white chicken", as well as someone noted at
least one brand with cans near 10 oz size.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
I've got a recipe with this ingredient:
2 cans water-packed chunk white chicken (10 oz.), drained.

I'm planning to make half the recipe and I can't decide if that measure
as stated is to be 10 ounces total or 20 ounces (2 cans, 10 ounces each).
My chicken breast half weighs about 6.5 ounces and I'm trying to decide
what to do.

I await your counsel. You've got until about 5:30 p.m., CDT.
T'anks.

Does it matter? You can add 3 cans if you want or half a can. All depends
on how much chicken you want in it.

Paul

Old 01-06-2010, 10:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" wrote in message ...

| On 1-Jun-2010, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
|
| I've got a recipe with this ingredient:
| 2 cans water-packed chunk white chicken (10 oz.), drained.
|
| I'm planning to make half the recipe and I can't decide if that measure
| as stated is to be 10 ounces total or 20 ounces (2 cans, 10 ounces each).
| My chicken breast half weighs about 6.5 ounces and I'm trying to decide
| what to do.
|
| I await your counsel. You've got until about 5:30 p.m., CDT.
|
| It would be useful to know the other ingredients and amounts to better
| interpret the chicken requirements. Regardless, I checked my pantry and
| found both large and small cans of Swanson's Chunk Chicken. The small can
| is 4.5 ounces, the large is 12.5 ounces. The large can states "28% more
| than 9.75 ounce can", implying (??) competor's can holds 9.75 ounces.

Swanson's Chicken is in 3, 4.5, 9.75 and 12.5 ounce cans:
http://www.campbellsoup.com/swansonchicken.aspx
Not that it matters...

pavane

Old 01-06-2010, 11:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"l, not -l" wrote:

On 1-Jun-2010, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

I've got a recipe with this ingredient:
2 cans water-packed chunk white chicken (10 oz.), drained.

I'm planning to make half the recipe and I can't decide if that measure
as stated is to be 10 ounces total or 20 ounces (2 cans, 10 ounces each).
My chicken breast half weighs about 6.5 ounces and I'm trying to decide
what to do.

I await your counsel. You've got until about 5:30 p.m., CDT.

It would be useful to know the other ingredients and amounts to better
interpret the chicken requirements.

I thought about it but couldn't bear the scorn. '-)
Thanks for your reply.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"pavane" wrote:

"l, not -l" wrote in message

| On 1-Jun-2010, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
|
| I've got a recipe with this ingredient:
| 2 cans water-packed chunk white chicken (10 oz.), drained.
|
| I'm planning to make half the recipe and I can't decide if that measure
| as stated is to be 10 ounces total or 20 ounces (2 cans, 10 ounces each).
| My chicken breast half weighs about 6.5 ounces and I'm trying to decide
| what to do.
|
| I await your counsel. You've got until about 5:30 p.m., CDT.
|
| It would be useful to know the other ingredients and amounts to better
| interpret the chicken requirements. Regardless, I checked my pantry and
| found both large and small cans of Swanson's Chunk Chicken. The small can
| is 4.5 ounces, the large is 12.5 ounces. The large can states "28% more
| than 9.75 ounce can", implying (??) competor's can holds 9.75 ounces.

Swanson's Chicken is in 3, 4.5, 9.75 and 12.5 ounce cans:
http://www.campbellsoup.com/swansonchicken.aspx
Not that it matters...

pavane

:-) I'm going to guess that it's looking for two 10-ounce cans, now
downsized, I'd bet, to 9.75 ounces. Thanks.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
I've got a recipe with this ingredient:
2 cans water-packed chunk white chicken (10 oz.), drained.

I'm planning to make half the recipe and I can't decide if that measure
as stated is to be 10 ounces total or 20 ounces (2 cans, 10 ounces each).
My chicken breast half weighs about 6.5 ounces and I'm trying to decide
what to do.

I await your counsel. You've got until about 5:30 p.m., CDT.
T'anks.

Does it matter? You can add 3 cans if you want or half a can. All depends
on how much chicken you want in it.

Paul

Hey, I'm just trying to follow a recipe for once in my life. :-)
Thanks.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com,
"Pete C." wrote:

Jinx Minx wrote:

[...]

Thanks. In putting the recipe together, I can see that 10 ounces will
probably do it for half the recipe.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
George Leppla wrote:

On 6/1/2010 3:37 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
I've got a recipe with this ingredient:
2 cans water-packed chunk white chicken (10 oz.), drained.

I'm planning to make half the recipe and I can't decide if that measure
as stated is to be 10 ounces total or 20 ounces (2 cans, 10 ounces each).
My chicken breast half weighs about 6.5 ounces and I'm trying to decide
what to do.

I await your counsel. You've got until about 5:30 p.m., CDT.
T'anks.

Ditch the tuna, add more chicken... then smother with a can of Cream of
Mushroom soup.

NOW your cooking! vbg

George L

What tuna? Clean your glasses, George.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Updated 4-24-2010 with food story and pictures

Easy way to measure shortening weaver Baking 9 12-06-2008 08:00 PM
Cheese measure, shredded vs whole don General Cooking 4 02-12-2005 07:21 PM
How to measure flour Roy Baking 1 22-05-2005 12:39 AM
How to measure tea Top Spin Tea 30 12-02-2005 11:18 AM
how to measure splenda? [email protected] Diabetic 2 07-01-2004 04:30 PM