Michael Plant

Top 1/30/05

snip

>> Green Tea
>> Half as many grams of tea as there are ounces of water.

> That's slightly more than most recommend.

It's a starting point, and usually works pretty well for me. Most vendors'
brewing instructions are sadly faulty.

>> Red Tea
>> One third as many grams of tea as there are ounces of water
>> or slightly more.

> What's a red tea? I found several refernces in the FAQ to teas that
> have a red liquor, but no red tea.

"Red" tea is what you know as "black" tea. Chinese nomenclature has another
black tea category, so using the designation "red tea" is helpful.

>> Oolong Tea (assuming Gungfu)
>> Twice as many grams of tea as there are ounces of water

> Wow. I don't know what Gungfu is. Also not in the FAQ. But that's a
> lot of tea -- as much as 6 times as much as most recommendations.

For Gung-fu tea, there are many many sources of information. Suffice it to
say here that when you use a small teapot of no more than five or six
ounces, fill it 1/4 to 1/3 full of fisted Oolong tea, use water off the
boil, steep for mere seconds if that, and pour into little cups about twice
the size of thimbles, you are on your way to Gung-fu tea. Follow links in
<http://www.imperialtea.com/> to learn more, but there are many others.

I never liked my Oolongs brewed in a more standard way using great amounts
of water, although I do it when Gung-fu is impossible. (Some say that there
is much more intricacy to Gung-fu tea, and without the necessary steps and
ceremony, it isn't really Gung-fu. This is opinion, which of course I
respect.

>> Green Pu'erh
>> Half as many grams of tea as there are ounces of water
>> (175F for around 3.5 to 4 minutes) Courtesy of Lew Perin
>>
>> or
>>
>> As many grams of tea as there are ounces of water
>> (hotter water, quickish steeps, Gungfu style)

Those are my thoughts.

Michael