Michael Plant

Top 1/28/05

snip

> I have a scale with an accuracy of 1g. I usually use a 4-cup (24 oz)
> pot. How much tea should I use by weight in grams?

Here are my usual starting points: These are take off points, but they
usually work pretty well. I find that increasing the amount of tea and
decreasing the steep time gives a better cup than doing it the other way.
These parameters will not work for Assam or Ceylon black teas because
nothing does. There will be lots of different opinions on the Pu'erh params.
Mike uses a higher proportion of leaf, I think. With Pu'erhs, I like to play
with the time more since Pu'erhs can get unpleasant quickly if left to their
own devices. Finally, 24 ounces is pretty big for me. My biggest tea brewing
vessel of the moment is around 15 ounces. More usually, I brew between 2 and
8 ounces at a time. Just thoughts

Green Tea
Half as many grams of tea as there are ounces of water.

Red Tea
One third as many grams of tea as there are ounces of water
or slightly more.

Oolong Tea (assuming Gungfu)
Twice as many grams of tea as there are ounces of water

Green Pu'erh
Half as many grams of tea as there are ounces of water
(175F for around 3.5 to 4 minutes) Courtesy of Lew Perin

or

As many grams of tea as there are ounces of water
(hotter water, quickish steeps, Gungfu style)

Michael