Old 11-09-2005, 06:42 PM
Nancy Young

Default Bloody mary mix

I found it hard to make a big container of the stuff,
no matter how much I added, it kept being just
tomato juice. Finally I gave it a bunch more
Worcestershire and tabasco, threw in some onion
powder and cajun spice and la de da! Was pretty
darn good. Better be, I still have a bunch left.

nancy

Old 11-09-2005, 07:29 PM
limey

"Nancy Young" wrote in message
I found it hard to make a big container of the stuff,
no matter how much I added, it kept being just
tomato juice. Finally I gave it a bunch more
Worcestershire and tabasco, threw in some onion
powder and cajun spice and la de da! Was pretty
darn good. Better be, I still have a bunch left.

nancy

I like it with V-8 juice, rather than tomato (more flavor).

Dora

Old 11-09-2005, 08:24 PM
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 11 Sep 2005 11:29:56a, limey wrote in rec.food.cooking:

"Nancy Young" wrote in message
I found it hard to make a big container of the stuff, no matter how
much I added, it kept being just
tomato juice. Finally I gave it a bunch more
Worcestershire and tabasco, threw in some onion
powder and cajun spice and la de da! Was pretty
darn good. Better be, I still have a bunch left.

nancy

I like it with V-8 juice, rather than tomato (more flavor).

Dora

Ne, too! I never buy tomato juice, only V-8.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Old 11-09-2005, 08:26 PM
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 11 Sep 2005 10:42:03a, Nancy Young wrote in rec.food.cooking:

I found it hard to make a big container of the stuff,
no matter how much I added, it kept being just
tomato juice. Finally I gave it a bunch more
Worcestershire and tabasco, threw in some onion
powder and cajun spice and la de da! Was pretty
darn good. Better be, I still have a bunch left.

nancy

Even without the vodka, this makes a good morning juice. Spicy is a waker-
upper!

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Old 11-09-2005, 08:32 PM
Nancy Young

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote

On Sun 11 Sep 2005 11:29:56a, limey wrote

"Nancy Young" wrote

much I added, it kept being just
tomato juice. Finally I gave it a bunch more
Worcestershire and tabasco, threw in some onion
powder and cajun spice and la de da! Was pretty
darn good. Better be, I still have a bunch left.

I like it with V-8 juice, rather than tomato (more flavor).

Ne, too! I never buy tomato juice, only V-8.

Now, where were you two when people told me no V8,
tomato juice! Huh, huh, huh?

nancy

Old 11-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Andy

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Sun 11 Sep 2005 11:29:56a, limey wrote in rec.food.cooking:

"Nancy Young" wrote in message
I found it hard to make a big container of the stuff, no matter how
much I added, it kept being just
tomato juice. Finally I gave it a bunch more
Worcestershire and tabasco, threw in some onion
powder and cajun spice and la de da! Was pretty
darn good. Better be, I still have a bunch left.

nancy

I like it with V-8 juice, rather than tomato (more flavor).

Dora

Ne, too! I never buy tomato juice, only V-8.

The spicy V-8 is OK too but you can doctor up the regular V-8 just as
easy.

And HEY, three servings of veggies and one serving of vodka! That's FOUR
veggie servings counting the celery stalk.

Andy
Old 11-09-2005, 08:49 PM
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 11 Sep 2005 12:32:27p, Nancy Young wrote in rec.food.cooking:

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote

On Sun 11 Sep 2005 11:29:56a, limey wrote

"Nancy Young" wrote

much I added, it kept being just
tomato juice. Finally I gave it a bunch more
Worcestershire and tabasco, threw in some onion
powder and cajun spice and la de da! Was pretty darn good. Better
be, I still have a bunch left.

I like it with V-8 juice, rather than tomato (more flavor).

Ne, too! I never buy tomato juice, only V-8.

Now, where were you two when people told me no V8,
tomato juice! Huh, huh, huh?

nancy

Sorry, but I must have missed when people told you that. I'd never using
anything but V-8. Often, for bloody marys, I use the Spicy Hot V-8, but at
the very least the regular.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Old 11-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 11 Sep 2005 01:28:39p, Don Gray wrote in rec.food.cooking:

In message Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Limey wrote

"Nancy Young" wrote in message

I found it hard to make a big container of the stuff, no matter how
much I added, it kept being just tomato juice. Finally I gave it
a bunch more Worcestershire and tabasco, threw in some onion powder
and cajun spice and la de da! Was pretty darn good. Better be, I
still have a bunch left.

Nancy
I like it with V-8 juice, rather than tomato (more flavor).

Dora

Ne, too! I never buy tomato juice, only V-8.

I've heard the expression V-8 used quite a few times in the past few
weeks but can't fit it into any category which I know. Can you please
explain what it stands for? It sounds like a car engine capacity :-) I
have difficulty sometimes trying to interpret words in English even
though I am English born and bred ;-)

Cheers

Don

V-8 is a blended vegetable juice consisting primarily of tomato juice,
along with juices of carrots, celery, beets, parsley, lettuce, watercress,
spinach, and seasonings. It is made by Campbells and the name comes from
the number of vegetable juices it contains.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Old 11-09-2005, 08:58 PM
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 11 Sep 2005 12:44:43p, Andy wrote in rec.food.cooking:

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Sun 11 Sep 2005 11:29:56a, limey wrote in rec.food.cooking:

"Nancy Young" wrote in message
I found it hard to make a big container of the stuff, no matter how
much I added, it kept being just
tomato juice. Finally I gave it a bunch more
Worcestershire and tabasco, threw in some onion
powder and cajun spice and la de da! Was pretty
darn good. Better be, I still have a bunch left.

nancy

I like it with V-8 juice, rather than tomato (more flavor).

Dora

Ne, too! I never buy tomato juice, only V-8.

The spicy V-8 is OK too but you can doctor up the regular V-8 just as
easy.

And HEY, three servings of veggies and one serving of vodka! That's FOUR
veggie servings counting the celery stalk.

Andy

FIVE veggies if you count the potatoes in making the vodka. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Old 11-09-2005, 09:06 PM
jmcquown

Nancy Young wrote:
"Wayne Boatwright" wrote

On Sun 11 Sep 2005 11:29:56a, limey wrote

"Nancy Young" wrote

much I added, it kept being just
tomato juice. Finally I gave it a bunch more
Worcestershire and tabasco, threw in some onion
powder and cajun spice and la de da! Was pretty
darn good. Better be, I still have a bunch left.

I like it with V-8 juice, rather than tomato (more flavor).

Ne, too! I never buy tomato juice, only V-8.

Now, where were you two when people told me no V8,
tomato juice! Huh, huh, huh?

nancy

I told you V-8! I did, I did! Even the low-salt (since you said it was too
salty). Sheesh

Jill

Old 11-09-2005, 09:09 PM
S'mee in WA

One time on Usenet, Don Gray said:
In message Wayne Boatwright wrote:
Limey wrote
"Nancy Young" wrote in message

I found it hard to make a big container of the stuff, no matter how
much I added, it kept being just tomato juice. Finally I gave it a
bunch more Worcestershire and tabasco, threw in some onion powder and
cajun spice and la de da! Was pretty darn good. Better be, I still
have a bunch left.

I like it with V-8 juice, rather than tomato (more flavor).

Ne, too! I never buy tomato juice, only V-8.

I've heard the expression V-8 used quite a few times in the past few weeks
but can't fit it into any category which I know. Can you please explain what
it stands for? It sounds like a car engine capacity :-) I have difficulty
sometimes trying to interpret words in English even though I am English born
and bred ;-)

It's a brand name of tomato-based vegetable juice sold in the U.S.:

http://www.v8juice.com/default.aspx

It's good stuff; I've never had a home-made Bloody Mary, so I'm
not sure how that would taste. Last time I had one while out was
several years at Manresa Castle (Port Townsend, WA). I think the
bartender hit the bottom of their bottle of Bloody Mary mix -- it
was waaaaay over-seasoned and barely drinkable. Kind of spoiled
my taste for them...

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, VidGamer, novice cook, dieter ~
Old 11-09-2005, 09:22 PM
Nancy Young

"Andy" q wrote

And HEY, three servings of veggies and one serving of vodka! That's FOUR
veggie servings counting the celery stalk.

Heh, on the way home I was sipping my (virgin) bloody mary
and chewing on my celery ... got a celery string I decided to
throw out the window. WHACK, damn those windows are
clean, I thought it was open. All the celery's fault.

nancy

Old 11-09-2005, 09:56 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Don Gray wrote:

[...]

V-8 is an actual name brand of vegetable juice mix.
It's a mix of 8 different juices.

Let's see, I do have a bottle in the 'frige right now. I like to use it
for marinades and recipes in general, It's also delicious as a quick
savory snack, and VERY nutritious:

Juices of:

Tomato
Carrots
Celery
Beets
Parsley
Lettuce
Watercress
Spinach

Also contains salt, Ascorbic acid (vitamin C as a preservative)
flavoring and citric acid.

It's made by Campbells soup company. :-)

V-8 juice is also FABULOUS served hot as a soup!

Cheers!
--
Om.

Old 11-09-2005, 10:02 PM
vega

V-8 juice is also FABULOUS served hot as a soup!

(SNIP)

Try simmering with fresh basil for about 40 min, strain and top with
very finely (like dust) shredded romano cheese.

Yummy!

Old 11-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Nancy Young

"vega" wrote in message

V-8 juice is also FABULOUS served hot as a soup!

(SNIP)

Try simmering with fresh basil for about 40 min, strain and top with
very finely (like dust) shredded romano cheese.

Now, who would have thought of V8 soup. Maybe I'll
make vaux blood mary soup for lunch tomorrow.

nancy