Old 11-09-2005, 10:24 PM
vega

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 17:20:34 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

"vega" wrote in message
.. .

V-8 juice is also FABULOUS served hot as a soup!

(SNIP)

Try simmering with fresh basil for about 40 min, strain and top with
very finely (like dust) shredded romano cheese.

Now, who would have thought of V8 soup. Maybe I'll
make vaux blood mary soup for lunch tomorrow.

nancy

I wouldn't add the vodka till the soup's in the bowl. Don't want to
cook off the "kick" !

Heheheh

Old 11-09-2005, 10:29 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

vega wrote:

V-8 juice is also FABULOUS served hot as a soup!

(SNIP)

Try simmering with fresh basil for about 40 min, strain and top with
very finely (like dust) shredded romano cheese.

Yummy!

drool

There goes that bottle in the 'frige...... lol
--
Om.

Old 11-09-2005, 10:30 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

"Nancy Young" wrote:

"vega" wrote in message

V-8 juice is also FABULOUS served hot as a soup!

(SNIP)

Try simmering with fresh basil for about 40 min, strain and top with
very finely (like dust) shredded romano cheese.

Now, who would have thought of V8 soup. Maybe I'll
make vaux blood mary soup for lunch tomorrow.

nancy

You're gonna get hooked. :-)

It makes a great addition to other soups, and as a base flavor for Chili
too!

I've even used some in pasta sauces.
--
Om.

Old 11-09-2005, 10:31 PM
Faux_Pseudo

_.-In rec.food.cooking, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote the following -._
V-8 is an actual name brand of vegetable juice mix.
It's a mix of 8 different juices.

Let's see, I do have a bottle in the 'frige right now. I like to use it
for marinades and recipes in general, It's also delicious as a quick
savory snack, and VERY nutritious:

Juices of:

Tomato, Carrots, Celery, Beets, Parsley, Lettuce, Watercress, Spinach

Also contains salt, Ascorbic acid (vitamin C as a preservative)
flavoring and citric acid.

And in a dissapointing twist they add sugar to their low sodium
version.

V-8 juice is also FABULOUS served hot as a soup!

A few months ago we had the urge for tomatto soup but had none. We
did have a big tin of V-8. So I hit the net in search for a recipie
for tomatto soup that required V-8 and not much else. I didn't have
much luck. Sure there were lots of V-8 to soup recipies but most of
them wanted to add carrots, onions and the kitchen sink.

Eventually it came down to basil, oregano, and cayenne pepper. It
came out too salty though. Anyone got any better ones in the 5
ingrediant or less theme that are good and don't taste like liquid
salt?

--
.-')) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to
Old 11-09-2005, 10:43 PM
Faux_Pseudo

_.-In rec.food.cooking, Wayne Boatwright wrote the following -._
FIVE veggies if you count the potatoes in making the vodka. :-)

Unfortunately most vodka isn't made with potatoes. The ones that are
will brag about it on the label. Most vodka is made with wheat
grain. Additionally more Americans wouldn't be able to stomach
potato vodka since they normally buy vodka because they want alcoholic
water (40%/60%) and not flavor.

In searching for some statistics on how many potato based ones were
available in the US I found this great article:
http://slate.msn.com/id/2106004

Only one of the ten mentioned by name is made with potatoes.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:03 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article [email protected],
Faux_Pseudo wrote:

[...]

Buy the no salt version, or do what I have done in the past.
Thin it out with home made chicken stock.
You CAN shell out for low sodium chicken broth, but the price
is assinine. I generally store bone stock in the freezer so it's
available when I need it.

It can also be thinned out with some tomato juice. Several brands of
canned tomatoes now make them with "no salt added". Toss them into the
blender juice and all to make a thick tomato juice to add to the salted
V-8.

I did not realize they added sugar to the no salt version. :-( I'm low
carbing. Thanks for the heads up!
--
Om.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:08 PM
vega

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 21:31:45 GMT, Faux_Pseudo
wrote:

[...]

Yea, the one I just posted.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:48 PM
notbob

On 2005-09-11, Faux_Pseudo wrote:

Only one of the ten mentioned by name is made with potatoes.

Yeah, I ran across that site, too. Surprisingly, the potato vodka won
the taste off. I looked for it when I went to the store for some
vodka just now (this thread was making me crazy), but I didn't it.
Since I'm mixing bloody caesars, I just got a cheapie (gordon's). I've
never done good straight vodka, but I'll give it a shot.

nb
Old 12-09-2005, 12:31 AM
limey

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message

"Nancy Young" wrote:

"vega" wrote in message

V-8 juice is also FABULOUS served hot as a soup!
(SNIP)

Try simmering with fresh basil for about 40 min, strain and top with
very finely (like dust) shredded romano cheese.

Now, who would have thought of V8 soup. Maybe I'll
make vaux blood mary soup for lunch tomorrow.

nancy

You're gonna get hooked. :-)

It makes a great addition to other soups, and as a base flavor for Chili
too!

I've even used some in pasta sauces.
--
Om.

It's also good added to beef stew and to thin spaghetti sauce if it's a
little too thick.
Good stuff.

Dora

Old 12-09-2005, 02:49 AM
jmcquown

Nancy Young wrote:
"vega" wrote in message

V-8 juice is also FABULOUS served hot as a soup!

(SNIP)

Try simmering with fresh basil for about 40 min, strain and top with
very finely (like dust) shredded romano cheese.

Now, who would have thought of V8 soup. Maybe I'll
make vaux blood mary soup for lunch tomorrow.

nancy

I know! My mom had a vegetable soup recipe calling for some V-8 but I never
tried it and never thought much about it. I'll have to re-think it

Jill

Old 12-09-2005, 04:06 AM
sf

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 17:20:34 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

Now, who would have thought of V8 soup. Maybe I'll
make vaux blood mary soup for lunch tomorrow.

Everyone thinks of V8... for bloody mary's I think of Snappy Tom
(haven't made one in years so I don't even know if it's still on the
store shelves)
Old 12-09-2005, 04:09 AM
Pete Romfh

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
In article [email protected],
Faux_Pseudo wrote:

[...]

I also take the opportunity to clean the "musgo's" out of the vegetable
crisper. Broccolli, celery. onion, garlic, cilantro, most any vegetable is
fair game. Chopped fine or run through the blender with spiced V8 (or the
house brand vegetable juice) it makes a very tasty soup that's low cal and
quite satisfying when you're dieting.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Old 12-09-2005, 09:15 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

"Pete Romfh" wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
In article [email protected],
Faux_Pseudo wrote:

[...]

Ahhhh good ol' "garbage soup". ;-)
I've been known to go thru the freezer to look for older stuff for soup
as well! FF veggies etc.

It never comes out the same way twice, but it's always good!
--
Om.

Old 12-09-2005, 03:09 PM
Nancy Young

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote

Ahhhh good ol' "garbage soup". ;-)
I've been known to go thru the freezer to look for older stuff for soup
as well! FF veggies etc.

It never comes out the same way twice, but it's always good!

Funny to me how a nonsensical quest for a bloody mary mix
could morph so rapidly into V8 garbage soup and a chicken
dish that looks like barf.

(smile) nancy

Old 12-09-2005, 03:18 PM
vega

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:09:42 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote

Ahhhh good ol' "garbage soup". ;-)
I've been known to go thru the freezer to look for older stuff for soup
as well! FF veggies etc.

It never comes out the same way twice, but it's always good!

Funny to me how a nonsensical quest for a bloody mary mix
could morph so rapidly into V8 garbage soup and a chicken
dish that looks like barf.

(smile) nancy

Well at least it didn't turn into a waaaayyyy off topic FEMA
discussion