OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article <5n1Ve.18036$dm.8495@lakeread03>,
Faux_Pseudo > wrote:

> _.-In rec.food.cooking, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote the following -._
> > V-8 is an actual name brand of vegetable juice mix.
> > It's a mix of 8 different juices.
> >
> > Let's see, I do have a bottle in the 'frige right now. I like to use it
> > for marinades and recipes in general, It's also delicious as a quick
> > savory snack, and VERY nutritious:
> >
> > Juices of:
> >
> > Tomato, Carrots, Celery, Beets, Parsley, Lettuce, Watercress, Spinach
> >
> > Also contains salt, Ascorbic acid (vitamin C as a preservative)
> > flavoring and citric acid.

> And in a dissapointing twist they add sugar to their low sodium
> version.
>
> > V-8 juice is also FABULOUS served hot as a soup!

> A few months ago we had the urge for tomatto soup but had none. We
> did have a big tin of V-8. So I hit the net in search for a recipie
> for tomatto soup that required V-8 and not much else. I didn't have
> much luck. Sure there were lots of V-8 to soup recipies but most of
> them wanted to add carrots, onions and the kitchen sink.
>
> Eventually it came down to basil, oregano, and cayenne pepper. It
> came out too salty though. Anyone got any better ones in the 5
> ingrediant or less theme that are good and don't taste like liquid
> salt?

Buy the no salt version, or do what I have done in the past.
Thin it out with home made chicken stock.
You CAN shell out for low sodium chicken broth, but the price
is assinine. I generally store bone stock in the freezer so it's
available when I need it.

It can also be thinned out with some tomato juice. Several brands of
canned tomatoes now make them with "no salt added". Toss them into the
blender juice and all to make a thick tomato juice to add to the salted
V-8.

I did not realize they added sugar to the no salt version. :-( I'm low
carbing. Thanks for the heads up!
--
Om.