Old 14-03-2012, 01:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Spaghetti aglio e olio (garlic and oil spaghetti)

I had them for a lifetime in thousands of occasions, bioth cooked by me or
by someone else. As I boy I found this pasta dressing as missing something,
in fact oil and garlic is the staring point of many pasta dressings, then I
started liking it, expecially as I started loving hot peppers and this dish
is perfect to enjoy a hot pepper with all its taste.
But garlic and hot pepper have always been cooked, until a chef from Sanremo
told me to try it uncooked. What an improvement it is! So now I always make
it "a crudo", which means uncooked.
For each serving put 2 tablespoons of EVO oil in a dish, add the garlic and
the minced or cracked hot pepper and let rest for one hour. I tried longer
times up to 3 hours but the result didn't change much. Before using it I
sometimes remove the garlic, if I have someone garlic sansible. When the
pasta is cooked, drain it and dress it with the oil taking care that the hot
pepper come with it, pure and simple heaven for pasta, garlic and pepper
lovers.

Old 14-03-2012, 01:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/14/2012 8:31 AM, ViLco wrote:
[...]

Which hot pepper do you recommend or do we experiment?

--
Jim Silverton

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Old 14-03-2012, 03:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Mar 14, 5:31*am, "ViLco" wrote:
[...]

I've never made it with just raw garlic. My favorite recipe uses
both cooked garlic and "raw" garlic. I use black pepper and have
never tried hot pepper with it. I'll have to try your methodology.

here's mine:

http://hizzoners.com/recipes/pastas/...e-oil-a-garlic
Old 14-03-2012, 03:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

I've never made it with just raw garlic. My favorite recipe uses
both cooked garlic and "raw" garlic. I use black pepper and have
never tried hot pepper with it. I'll have to try your methodology.

here's mine:

http://hizzoners.com/recipes/pastas/...e-oil-a-garlic

Sounds good. Thanks for the link. (If you know the person who posted
that recipe, you might suggest he/she proofread it.)

Old 14-03-2012, 04:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

I'd eat that!

What? No clams?!?

That's what I was thinking, at least anchovy.
I sometimes dress a pasta dish with a can of those delightful rolled
anchovy, the oil in the can is plenty, just add a squeeze of fresh
lemon, a splash of Sauterne, and a dusting of crushed red pepper to
taste or not.

I'm beginning to think our resident Eyetalians don't know how to
prepare pasta... today we got bucatinni that looks much more like
Boyardi pisghetti from a can... and now raw garlic and raw hot peppers
to dress pasta... sounds beyond disgusting... retarded.

Old 14-03-2012, 05:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

I'd eat that!

What? No clams?!?

That's another dish and it involves mure than just oil, garlic and clams

Saved as "ViLco's garlic and oil spaghetti."

Hope you'll like it

Old 14-03-2012, 05:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

pure and simple heaven for pasta, garlic and pepper lovers.

Which hot pepper do you recommend or do we experiment?

This one is born with cayenne pepper in my family, I guess one could use
other chiles also.

Old 14-03-2012, 06:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 14, 5:31*am, "ViLco" wrote:

But garlic and hot pepper have always been cooked, until a chef from Sanremo
told me to try it uncooked. What an improvement it is! So now I always make
it "a crudo", which means uncooked.
For each serving put 2 tablespoons of EVO oil in a dish, add the garlic and
the minced or cracked hot pepper and let rest for one hour. I tried longer
times up to 3 hours but the result didn't change much. Before using it I
sometimes remove the garlic, if I have someone garlic sansible.

I love the garlic that is harvested in summer, but some times of the
year the garlic we get is too harsh for my taste. I would rather use
powdered garlic for those times of the year. Is good tasting garlic
always available to you?

Further, more and more Chinese garlic shows up in our markets.

Old 14-03-2012, 06:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14 Mar, 13:31, "ViLco" wrote:
[...]

Wonderful Vilco! I always made it with a mix of dried garlic, parsley
and hot chili pepper. Oil Evo and Whole grain pasta. I love it very
much! Now I must try like you say.
Cheers
Pandy
Old 14-03-2012, 06:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14 Mar, 16:49, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
Andy wrote:
I'd eat that!

What? No clams?!?

That's what I was thinking, at least anchovy.
I sometimes dress a pasta dish with a can of those delightful rolled
anchovy, the oil in the can is plenty, just add a squeeze of fresh
lemon, a splash of Sauterne, and a dusting of crushed red pepper to
taste or not.

I'm beginning to think our resident Eyetalians don't know how to
prepare pasta... today we got bucatinni that looks much more like
Boyardi pisghetti from a can... and now raw garlic and raw hot peppers
to dress pasta... sounds beyond disgusting... retarded.

If your "Brucculino" head prevent you to understand such fineness,
it's better you shut up and before speaking learn how to cook an egg
because I think you are not able!
Fondly
Pandora

Old 14-03-2012, 07:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 14, 5:31*am, "ViLco" wrote:
[...]

Thank you for the tip- this is one of my family's favorite dishes.
Old 15-03-2012, 11:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:

I love the garlic that is harvested in summer, but some times of the
year the garlic we get is too harsh for my taste. I would rather use
powdered garlic for those times of the year. Is good tasting garlic
always available to you?

From march to november it's good, then I have to buy what I find. For some
reason, it seems that I can't get used to garlic flakes, they're still in
their package

Further, more and more Chinese garlic shows up in our markets.

Same as here. Last time I bougth garlic, though, the options were
argentinian and italian and I took italian

Old 15-03-2012, 12:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

Getting out of the car I got a huge breath of garlic in the air. It
was overwhelming.

I thought, what the heck is McDonalds up to?!?

The burger was OK. It was just my failure to observe the "Welcome to
Gilroy! The Garlic Capital of the World" sign as I arrived. Peeyew!!!

Garlic will always mean Gilroy, CA to me!!! LOL!

LOL, the best I can find here is the parking lot behind a store where they
also sell food cooked by themselves. Sometimes they are cooking metric tons
of onions, huge batches they must be, and then you see all the people
walking through the parking lot who start looking around freaked and
sniffing their armpits

Old 15-03-2012, 01:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

ViLco wrote:

Further, more and more Chinese garlic shows up in our markets.

Same as here. Last time I bougth garlic, though, the options were
argentinian and italian and I took italian

Is there a problem with Chinese garlic?

Old 15-03-2012, 02:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

George M. Middius wrote:

Further, more and more Chinese garlic shows up in our markets.

Same as here. Last time I bougth garlic, though, the options were
argentinian and italian and I took italian

Is there a problem with Chinese garlic?

Their food safety standards, notwhistanding the very heavy penalties for
infringements, are still among the worst on Earth