Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pasta Aglio Olio

On steroids.

Picture before words:
http://img811.imageshack.us/i/pastaa1.jpg/

Cappelini (does's anyone actually use thick "spaghetti"?), olive
oil, butter, Delallo hot pepper garlic sauce(*1), more chopped
fresh garlic, roasted red peppers, diced de-seeded jalapeno, green
leafy stuff, capers, pecorino romano, salt and FGBP.

Garnished with Tibetan mountain goat gonad, fresh pickled hot red
pepperand crispy desensitized garlic antipasto (*2).

(*1)
http://www.delallo.com/products/fres...pper-antipasto
(*2)
http://www.delallo.com/products/impo...t-pepper-sauce

(I cannot reveal the source of the gonads since they are illegal
here in the States)

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On steroids.
>
> Picture before words:
> http://img811.imageshack.us/i/pastaa1.jpg/
>
> Cappelini (does's anyone actually use thick "spaghetti"?),

A good number of Guidos, me too: spaghetti, bucatini or linguine.

> olive oil, butter, Delallo hot pepper garlic sauce(*1), more chopped
> fresh garlic, roasted red peppers, diced de-seeded jalapeno, green
> leafy stuff, capers, pecorino romano, salt and FGBP.
>
> Garnished with Tibetan mountain goat gonad, fresh pickled hot red
> pepperand crispy desensitized garlic antipasto (*2).

Well, you went a lot farther than a simple aglio olio, and it looks nice
too.
--
ViLco
And the family stone

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On steroids.
>>
>> Picture before words:
>> http://img811.imageshack.us/i/pastaa1.jpg/
>>
>> Cappelini (does's anyone actually use thick "spaghetti"?),

> A good number of Guidos, me too: spaghetti, bucatini or linguine.

Bucatini, bucatini, how I love thee, bucatini.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 13:57:15 +0100, Giusi wrote:

> "ViLco" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> On steroids.
>>>
>>> Picture before words:
>>> http://img811.imageshack.us/i/pastaa1.jpg/
>>>
>>> Cappelini (does's anyone actually use thick "spaghetti"?),

>> A good number of Guidos, me too: spaghetti, bucatini or linguine.

> Bucatini, bucatini, how I love thee, bucatini.

I haven't seen bucatini for a while. I'll have to look harder.
That would be good for aglio olio (on steroids).

I meant to add shrimp to that, too. But it was too late into to
thaw them.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On steroids.
>
> Picture before words:
> http://img811.imageshack.us/i/pastaa1.jpg/
>
> Cappelini (does's anyone actually use thick "spaghetti"?), olive
> oil, butter, Delallo hot pepper garlic sauce(*1), more chopped
> fresh garlic, roasted red peppers, diced de-seeded jalapeno, green
> leafy stuff, capers, pecorino romano, salt and FGBP.
>
> Garnished with Tibetan mountain goat gonad, fresh pickled hot red
> pepperand crispy desensitized garlic antipasto (*2).
>
> (*1)
> http://www.delallo.com/products/fres...pper-antipasto
> (*2)
> http://www.delallo.com/products/impo...t-pepper-sauce
>
> (I cannot reveal the source of the gonads since they are illegal
> here in the States)
>
> -sw

Sounds good--until one hits the gonads. LOL!

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> I've never figured out how to eat bucatini without splattering myself
> with whatever sauce is on it. It doesn't wind, cutting is out of the
> question unless I cut it into 1-2 inch lengths. I certainly feel like
> I should have an old fashioned, huge napkin tied around my neck when I
> eat it.

Nobody has figured it out. It may be why I love it so. It's best consumed
at home, maybe alone or in the bathtub. It's just the best with
amatriciana.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 08:28:18 +0100, "Giusi" > wrote:

> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> > I've never figured out how to eat bucatini without splattering myself
> > with whatever sauce is on it. It doesn't wind, cutting is out of the
> > question unless I cut it into 1-2 inch lengths. I certainly feel like
> > I should have an old fashioned, huge napkin tied around my neck when I
> > eat it.

> Nobody has figured it out. It may be why I love it so. It's best consumed
> at home, maybe alone or in the bathtub.

Thanks, I thought maybe I was missing something. I have to make sure
I'm wearing old, dark clothing and for sure, bucatini is not a company
meal. Actually, I'm not even sure if I can find it anymore. It seems
like most grocery stores have cut way back on variety. I've been
looking and looking for this pasta
http://picasaweb.google.com/sf.usene...10810430210322
It looks like a rectangle of pasta that has been curled toward the
middle on both sides. I don't remember what it's called. I found a
similar one called strozzapretti, but that word isn't ringing any
bells for me.

> It's just the best with amatriciana.

That's a new one for me.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio

http://picasaweb.google.com/sf.usene...10810430210322
> It looks like a rectangle of pasta that has been curled toward the> middle
> on both sides. I don't remember what it's called.

That's casarecce, originally a homemade pasta of hard wheat and water-- no
egg. Trofie or cavatelli will certainly do, but in a soup, it doesn't
matter so much and you could use most simple shapes. We use offcuts called
maltagliati, what remains after you've cut up tortellini, capelletti,
ravioli.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 07:36:20 +0100, "Giusi" > wrote:

> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/sf.usene...10810430210322
> > It looks like a rectangle of pasta that has been curled toward the> middle
> > on both sides. I don't remember what it's called.

> That's casarecce, originally a homemade pasta of hard wheat and water-- no
> egg. Trofie or cavatelli will certainly do, but in a soup, it doesn't
> matter so much and you could use most simple shapes. We use offcuts called
> maltagliati, what remains after you've cut up tortellini, capelletti,
> ravioli.

Thanks, Giusi, at least I have a name to ask for now. Like I said
before, the selection at the stores I shop in is dismal. My little
vegetable store used to have a decent selection and that's probably
where I bought it in the first place. They devote the same amount of
shelf space to pasta as ever but the variety is severely limited these
days.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio , "Giusi"
> wrote:

>> That's casarecce, originally a homemade pasta of hard wheat and water--
>> no >> egg.

Like I said> before, the selection at the stores I shop in is dismal.

I would not say the pasta selections at my Coop supermarket were dismal, but
I cannot buy every shape every time. There are so many hundreds of types it
will never happen. When the newer Barilla pastas made out of lentils and so
forth came into our stores, a few more traditional shapes disappeared. Same
when the corn and rice gluten free pastas became mainstream. I might have
to go to several shops before I would find a particular shape. OTH, most of
them aren't hard to make if you want them enough and have the tools.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 08:37:40 +0100, "Giusi" > wrote:

> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio , "Giusi"
> > wrote:
>
> >> That's casarecce, originally a homemade pasta of hard wheat and water--
> >> no >> egg.

> Like I said> before, the selection at the stores I shop in is dismal.
>
> I would not say the pasta selections at my Coop supermarket were dismal, but
> I cannot buy every shape every time. There are so many hundreds of types it
> will never happen. When the newer Barilla pastas made out of lentils and so
> forth came into our stores, a few more traditional shapes disappeared. Same
> when the corn and rice gluten free pastas became mainstream. I might have
> to go to several shops before I would find a particular shape. OTH, most of
> them aren't hard to make if you want them enough and have the tools.

Okay, so it's not just here... although I'd venture to say our
"limited" would make a grown up Italian cry. I found casarecce at a
little Italian deli, but they were made of faro so they cost $8.50 for
the package. After two more fails, I finally found them at Whole
Foods for $1.99. Later, I found a very similar looking "scroll"
shaped pasta at a different Italian deli on the other side of town.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pasta Made from Lentils

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 08:37:40 +0100, "Giusi" > in the
thread, "Pasta Aglio Olio wrote:

>When the newer Barilla pastas made out of lentils and so
>forth came into our stores, a few more traditional shapes disappeared....

Ignorant until now about the existence of lentil pastas, I googled the
general term as well as "Barilla lentil pasta". The former returned a
few items about pasta made from lentils, most of whose discriptions
emphasized the HEALTH benefits for people on a non-gluten diet, but
many more referenced recipes for pasta WITH lentils. The Barilla site
provided several recipes using lentil pastas and also emphasized their
use as a substitues for wheat pasta.

How close a substitute do Giusi and the rest of you think lentil
pastas are in terms of TASTE and texture? Do lentil pastas suit some
dishes more than others? As in the case for instance of regular and
whole wheat pastas? If so, what combinations of pasta and sauces
might you favor over others?

Richard Kennedy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Richard Kennedy" > ha scritto nel messaggio
"Giusi" > in the
> thread, "Pasta Aglio Olio wrote:
>>
>>When the newer Barilla pastas made out of lentils and so >>forth came into
>>our stores, a few more traditional shapes disappeared....

> Ignorant until now about the existence of lentil pastas, I googled the>
> general term as well as "Barilla lentil pasta". The former returned a
> few items about pasta made from lentils, most of whose discriptions>
> emphasized the HEALTH benefits for people on a non-gluten diet, but
> many more referenced recipes for pasta WITH lentils.

My daughter loves this pasta, but I have no experience with it. She finds
it almost indiscernible from wheat pasta and uses it for everything. It's
quite high in fiber, I think. It's made of a whole range of things, not
just lentils.