Old 12-03-2009, 04:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What is your favorite dinner party theme/cuisine?

Hello all,

Thought I'd start a new thread with a subject I've been pondering
lately.

I want to host a couple of dinner parties in the near future, and am
wondering about themes, or merely cuisine types to cook by (I like
themes, I'm just geeky like that). In the past I've done Bistro,
Italian, Russian, Swedish and regular French.

In a ideal world, I'd like to re-create some sumptuous feast such as a
British Royal banquet,or the last dinner on the Titantic or some fancy
labour-intensive thing. But that's not gonna happen now.

What do you like to do for a dinner party? I'd love to hear what
others do,especially from such a talented group.

Thanks,
Kris

Old 12-03-2009, 05:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote:

What do you like to do for a dinner party? I'd love to hear what
others do,especially from such a talented group.

Thanks,
Kris

I have always enjoyed super casual meals where a group of us get
together to perform some task for the meal- rolling eggrolls or perhaps
tamale making. The more hands the merrier, then we continue on with the
rest of the meal.
I do a lot of Korean style meals this way. Friends and family will
arrive to roll the eggrolls and someone will be cooking them up. I'll
have already made in advance or are making the rest of the meal
(bulgogi, rice, chap chae, kimchi) and finish near serving time.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote:

I want to host a couple of dinner parties in the near future, and am
wondering about themes, or merely cuisine types to cook by (I like
themes, I'm just geeky like that). In the past I've done Bistro,
Italian, Russian, Swedish and regular French.

In a ideal world, I'd like to re-create some sumptuous feast such as a
British Royal banquet,or the last dinner on the Titantic or some fancy
labour-intensive thing. But that's not gonna happen now.

What do you like to do for a dinner party?

My favorite would have to be Italian. Essentially
appetizers followed by the traditional three courses
(primi, secondo with salad/vegetables, dessert).
I am attuned to this format because it permits
maximum appreciation of each food item. It is
uncluttered. It is much preferable to trying to serve and
pass around six or seven food items at once. Plus,
you can appreciate the wine between courses.

Steve
Old 12-03-2009, 06:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kris" wrote in message
Hello all,

Thought I'd start a new thread with a subject I've been pondering
lately.

I want to host a couple of dinner parties in the near future, and am
wondering about themes, or merely cuisine types to cook by (I like
themes, I'm just geeky like that). In the past I've done Bistro,
Italian, Russian, Swedish and regular French.

In a ideal world, I'd like to re-create some sumptuous feast such as a
British Royal banquet,or the last dinner on the Titantic or some fancy
labour-intensive thing. But that's not gonna happen now.

What do you like to do for a dinner party? I'd love to hear what
others do,especially from such a talented group.

I have done all the above, including doing a couple of piggies in chicken
wire in a hole in the ground. Lost a hedge that way! :-) I love theme
parties and casual dinner parties. I also love the formal dinner parties.
It all depends on what my soul is yankering for at the moment. As I age I
tend to the more informal ones. My favourite part of preparing the meal is
the hor's doervres and appetizer course. I can spend mucho time working on
these. I like the main course to pretty much do its own work so I can
semi-relax once I have served up the appetizer. I find dessert can often
get lost so unless I am going to do something exciting, like flambéing
something, I try to stick to simple like small fruit and cheezes.

Debbie

Old 12-03-2009, 06:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 8:49*am, Kris wrote:
I want to host a couple of dinner parties in the near future, and am
wondering about themes, or merely cuisine types to cook by (I like
themes, I'm just geeky like that). *In the past I've done Bistro,
Italian, Russian, Swedish and regular French. ....

I've done many more Chinese dinner parties than any other type or
theme. I like that so much can be prepared in advance or prepped
thoroughly so only moments are needed to finish a dish. So you can
serve cold appetizers, hot appetizers, soup, a braised dish or two, a
stir fry or two, and fruit or dessert and still not be too busy to
visit with your guests. The specific menu may be determined by the
favorites of the diners but I've also done a couple of 'themes.' One
was trying to recreate things we had on a trip to mainland China;
another was "rescuing the tradition," where we took popular
Americanized dishes and tried to make them more like an original
Chinese version would be. Just for fun, not that popularity in
America is a bad thing. -aem

Old 12-03-2009, 06:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote:
Hello all,

Thought I'd start a new thread with a subject I've been pondering
lately.

I want to host a couple of dinner parties in the near future, and am
wondering about themes, or merely cuisine types to cook by (I like
themes, I'm just geeky like that). In the past I've done Bistro,
Italian, Russian, Swedish and regular French.

In a ideal world, I'd like to re-create some sumptuous feast such as a
British Royal banquet,or the last dinner on the Titantic or some fancy
labour-intensive thing. But that's not gonna happen now.

What do you like to do for a dinner party? I'd love to hear what
others do,especially from such a talented group.

Thanks,
Kris

I don't really do themes or formal but I do like to make Moroccan food
for people who have never had it. I usually make couscous or some type
of tagine depending upon the guest. Appetizers tend to favor the middle
east like hummus and pita and olives. And I always serve mint tea with
dessert. Moroccans usually serve fruit at the end of a meal, but I
usually make something a little different like lemon bars or some kind
of coffee cake - nothing fancy.

Most of the time when I cook for guests it's either a major holiday -
which has a fairly set menu - like Thanksgiving or it's a cookout which
also has a set menu of sorts. Steak tips, burgers, dogs and the
accompaniments.

Tracy

Old 12-03-2009, 06:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy" ha scritto nel messaggio
Kris wrote:
I want to host a couple of dinner parties in the near future, and am
wondering about themes, or merely cuisine types to cook by

I don't really do themes or formal but I do like to make Moroccan food
for people who have never had it.

I don't get to cook other than Italian very often, but when I do Northern
African is a great choice. From Morocco to Syria gives you a lot of
choices. It, too, is Mediterranean and many of the ingredients are easy to
find here. I serve it in courses just like Italian suppers, so it's fun to
have a variety of things. Leg of lamb cooked with chermoula was a real
revelation to me. There are lots of sites with good recipes in English.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:49:52 -0700 (PDT), Kris
wrote:

What do you like to do for a dinner party?

My menu planning, is occasion based. Easter, Fourth of July, etc.
But it really becomes fun and challenging when you look on the
internet for the "occasion" of that particular day. Today is
National Bagel day or something. That makes it fun and stretches
your entertaining skills.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 2:10*pm, wrote:
On Mar 12, 8:49*am, Kris wrote:

[...]

Wow! You're good at themes.

I never thought of doing a Chinese theme. I did do a Chinese New Years
dinner for my husband, kids and I. That could just as easily be done
for a group.

Thanks for the brainstorming,
Kris
Old 12-03-2009, 07:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

What do you like to do for a dinner party?

My menu planning, is occasion based. * *Easter, Fourth of July, etc.
But it really becomes fun and challenging when you look on the
internet for the "occasion" of that particular day. * * Today is
National Bagel day or something. * That makes it fun and stretches
your entertaining skills.

I like that idea. Do you suppose there's a "National Beef Wellington
Day"?

Kris

Old 12-03-2009, 07:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 12:49*pm, Kris wrote:
Hello all,

Thought I'd start a new thread with a subject I've been pondering
lately.

I want to host a couple of dinner parties in the near future, and am
wondering about themes, or merely cuisine types to cook by (I like
themes, I'm just geeky like that). *In the past I've done Bistro,
Italian, Russian, Swedish and regular French.

In a ideal world, I'd like to re-create some sumptuous feast such as a
British Royal banquet,or the last dinner on the Titantic or some fancy
labour-intensive thing. *But that's not gonna happen now.

What do you like to do for a dinner party? I'd love to hear what
others do,especially from such a talented group.

Thanks,
Kris

Other themes that came to mind that I've had are tapas and fondue -
both great for groups!

Kris
Old 12-03-2009, 07:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:05:19 -0700 (PDT), Kris
wrote:

I like that idea. Do you suppose there's a "National Beef Wellington
Day"?

I will make it National Beef Wellington day for YOU.....if I am
invited. BTW....who would question you?

You can have a National California (or French) Burgundy day and serve
that also.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

My favorite theme is 'you-can't-see-the-hostess-cook'. I like to have
everything done ahead and waiting in the fridge, ready to serve or pop
in oven. I hate a guest watching every move and asking questions.

I also don't like to grill anything outside - there's always a frantic
rush to get people to the table. The meat is almost cold by the time
they dig in. I feel better relying on a piping hot casserole.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I like that idea. Do you suppose there's a "National Beef Wellington
Day"?

I will make it National Beef Wellington day for YOU.....if I am
invited. * BTW....who would question you? * *

You can have a National California (or French) Burgundy day and serve
that also. *

You're right - who WOULD question me?

I think I'll start a spaghetti carbonara day, a shrimp scampi day,
pesto day, creme brulee day...

Kris