FoodBanter.com

-   -   What is your favorite dinner party theme/cuisine? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/169474-what-your-favorite-dinner.html)

Kris[_1_] 12-03-2009 05:49 PM

What is your favorite dinner party theme/cuisine?

Hello all,

Thought I'd start a new thread with a subject I've been pondering
lately.

I want to host a couple of dinner parties in the near future, and am
wondering about themes, or merely cuisine types to cook by (I like
themes, I'm just geeky like that). In the past I've done Bistro,
Italian, Russian, Swedish and regular French.

In a ideal world, I'd like to re-create some sumptuous feast such as a
British Royal banquet,or the last dinner on the Titantic or some fancy
labour-intensive thing. But that's not gonna happen now.

What do you like to do for a dinner party? I'd love to hear what
others do,especially from such a talented group.:)

Thanks,
Kris

Goomba[_2_] 12-03-2009 06:08 PM

Kris wrote:

> What do you like to do for a dinner party? I'd love to hear what
> others do,especially from such a talented group.:)
>
> Thanks,
> Kris

I have always enjoyed super casual meals where a group of us get
together to perform some task for the meal- rolling eggrolls or perhaps
tamale making. The more hands the merrier, then we continue on with the
rest of the meal.
I do a lot of Korean style meals this way. Friends and family will
arrive to roll the eggrolls and someone will be cooking them up. I'll
have already made in advance or are making the rest of the meal
(bulgogi, rice, chap chae, kimchi) and finish near serving time.

Steve Pope 12-03-2009 06:12 PM

Kris > wrote:

>I want to host a couple of dinner parties in the near future, and am
>wondering about themes, or merely cuisine types to cook by (I like
>themes, I'm just geeky like that). In the past I've done Bistro,
>Italian, Russian, Swedish and regular French.

>In a ideal world, I'd like to re-create some sumptuous feast such as a
>British Royal banquet,or the last dinner on the Titantic or some fancy
>labour-intensive thing. But that's not gonna happen now.

>What do you like to do for a dinner party?

My favorite would have to be Italian. Essentially
appetizers followed by the traditional three courses
(primi, secondo with salad/vegetables, dessert).
I am attuned to this format because it permits
maximum appreciation of each food item. It is
uncluttered. It is much preferable to trying to serve and
pass around six or seven food items at once. Plus,
you can appreciate the wine between courses.

Steve

Debbie[_1_] 12-03-2009 07:01 PM

"Kris" > wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> Thought I'd start a new thread with a subject I've been pondering
> lately.
>
> I want to host a couple of dinner parties in the near future, and am
> wondering about themes, or merely cuisine types to cook by (I like
> themes, I'm just geeky like that). In the past I've done Bistro,
> Italian, Russian, Swedish and regular French.
>
> In a ideal world, I'd like to re-create some sumptuous feast such as a
> British Royal banquet,or the last dinner on the Titantic or some fancy
> labour-intensive thing. But that's not gonna happen now.
>
> What do you like to do for a dinner party? I'd love to hear what
> others do,especially from such a talented group.:)

I have done all the above, including doing a couple of piggies in chicken
wire in a hole in the ground. Lost a hedge that way! :-) I love theme
parties and casual dinner parties. I also love the formal dinner parties.
It all depends on what my soul is yankering for at the moment. As I age I
tend to the more informal ones. My favourite part of preparing the meal is
the hor's doervres and appetizer course. I can spend mucho time working on
these. I like the main course to pretty much do its own work so I can
semi-relax once I have served up the appetizer. I find dessert can often
get lost so unless I am going to do something exciting, like flambéing
something, I try to stick to simple like small fruit and cheezes.

Debbie

[email protected] 12-03-2009 07:10 PM

On Mar 12, 8:49*am, Kris > wrote:
> I want to host a couple of dinner parties in the near future, and am
> wondering about themes, or merely cuisine types to cook by (I like
> themes, I'm just geeky like that). *In the past I've done Bistro,
> Italian, Russian, Swedish and regular French. ....

I've done many more Chinese dinner parties than any other type or
theme. I like that so much can be prepared in advance or prepped
thoroughly so only moments are needed to finish a dish. So you can
serve cold appetizers, hot appetizers, soup, a braised dish or two, a
stir fry or two, and fruit or dessert and still not be too busy to
visit with your guests. The specific menu may be determined by the
favorites of the diners but I've also done a couple of 'themes.' One
was trying to recreate things we had on a trip to mainland China;
another was "rescuing the tradition," where we took popular
Americanized dishes and tried to make them more like an original
Chinese version would be. Just for fun, not that popularity in
America is a bad thing. -aem

Tracy[_2_] 12-03-2009 07:36 PM

Kris wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Thought I'd start a new thread with a subject I've been pondering
> lately.
>
> I want to host a couple of dinner parties in the near future, and am
> wondering about themes, or merely cuisine types to cook by (I like
> themes, I'm just geeky like that). In the past I've done Bistro,
> Italian, Russian, Swedish and regular French.
>
> In a ideal world, I'd like to re-create some sumptuous feast such as a
> British Royal banquet,or the last dinner on the Titantic or some fancy
> labour-intensive thing. But that's not gonna happen now.
>
> What do you like to do for a dinner party? I'd love to hear what
> others do,especially from such a talented group.:)
>
> Thanks,
> Kris

I don't really do themes or formal but I do like to make Moroccan food
for people who have never had it. I usually make couscous or some type
of tagine depending upon the guest. Appetizers tend to favor the middle
east like hummus and pita and olives. And I always serve mint tea with
dessert. Moroccans usually serve fruit at the end of a meal, but I
usually make something a little different like lemon bars or some kind
of coffee cake - nothing fancy.

Most of the time when I cook for guests it's either a major holiday -
which has a fairly set menu - like Thanksgiving or it's a cookout which
also has a set menu of sorts. Steak tips, burgers, dogs and the
accompaniments.

Tracy

Giusi[_2_] 12-03-2009 07:49 PM

"Tracy" ha scritto nel messaggio
> Kris wrote:
>> I want to host a couple of dinner parties in the near future, and am>>
>> wondering about themes, or merely cuisine types to cook by>

> I don't really do themes or formal but I do like to make Moroccan food >
> for people who have never had it.

I don't get to cook other than Italian very often, but when I do Northern
African is a great choice. From Morocco to Syria gives you a lot of
choices. It, too, is Mediterranean and many of the ingredients are easy to
find here. I serve it in courses just like Italian suppers, so it's fun to
have a variety of things. Leg of lamb cooked with chermoula was a real
revelation to me. There are lots of sites with good recipes in English.

Mr. Bill[_2_] 12-03-2009 07:53 PM

What is your favorite dinner party theme/cuisine?

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:49:52 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
wrote:

>What do you like to do for a dinner party?

My menu planning, is occasion based. Easter, Fourth of July, etc.
But it really becomes fun and challenging when you look on the
internet for the "occasion" of that particular day. Today is
National Bagel day or something. That makes it fun and stretches
your entertaining skills.

Kris[_1_] 12-03-2009 08:04 PM

On Mar 12, 2:10*pm, wrote:
> On Mar 12, 8:49*am, Kris > wrote:

> > I want to host a couple of dinner parties in the near future, and am
> > wondering about themes, or merely cuisine types to cook by (I like
> > themes, I'm just geeky like that). *In the past I've done Bistro,
> > Italian, Russian, Swedish and regular French. *....

> I've done many more Chinese dinner parties than any other type or
> theme. *I like that so much can be prepared in advance or prepped
> thoroughly so only moments are needed to finish a dish. *So you can
> serve cold appetizers, hot appetizers, soup, a braised dish or two, a
> stir fry or two, and fruit or dessert and still not be too busy to
> visit with your guests. *The specific menu may be determined by the
> favorites of the diners but I've also done a couple of 'themes.' *One
> was trying to recreate things we had on a trip to mainland China;
> another was "rescuing the tradition," where we took popular
> Americanized dishes and tried to make them more like an original
> Chinese version would be. *Just for fun, not that popularity in
> America is a bad thing. * -aem

Wow! You're good at themes. :)

I never thought of doing a Chinese theme. I did do a Chinese New Years
dinner for my husband, kids and I. That could just as easily be done
for a group.

Thanks for the brainstorming,
Kris

Kris[_1_] 12-03-2009 08:05 PM

On Mar 12, 2:53*pm, Mr. Bill > wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:49:52 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
> wrote:
>
> >What do you like to do for a dinner party?

> My menu planning, is occasion based. * *Easter, Fourth of July, etc.
> But it really becomes fun and challenging when you look on the
> internet for the "occasion" of that particular day. * * Today is
> National Bagel day or something. * That makes it fun and stretches
> your entertaining skills.

I like that idea. Do you suppose there's a "National Beef Wellington
Day"? :)

Kris

Kris[_1_] 12-03-2009 08:05 PM

On Mar 12, 12:49*pm, Kris > wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Thought I'd start a new thread with a subject I've been pondering
> lately.
>
> I want to host a couple of dinner parties in the near future, and am
> wondering about themes, or merely cuisine types to cook by (I like
> themes, I'm just geeky like that). *In the past I've done Bistro,
> Italian, Russian, Swedish and regular French.
>
> In a ideal world, I'd like to re-create some sumptuous feast such as a
> British Royal banquet,or the last dinner on the Titantic or some fancy
> labour-intensive thing. *But that's not gonna happen now.
>
> What do you like to do for a dinner party? I'd love to hear what
> others do,especially from such a talented group.:)
>
> Thanks,
> Kris

Other themes that came to mind that I've had are tapas and fondue -
both great for groups!

Kris

Mr. Bill[_2_] 12-03-2009 08:24 PM

What is your favorite dinner party theme/cuisine?

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:05:19 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
wrote:

>I like that idea. Do you suppose there's a "National Beef Wellington
>Day"? :)

I will make it National Beef Wellington day for YOU.....if I am
invited. BTW....who would question you?

You can have a National California (or French) Burgundy day and serve
that also.

[email protected] 12-03-2009 09:46 PM

What is your favorite dinner party theme/cuisine?

My favorite theme is 'you-can't-see-the-hostess-cook'. I like to have
everything done ahead and waiting in the fridge, ready to serve or pop
in oven. I hate a guest watching every move and asking questions.

I also don't like to grill anything outside - there's always a frantic
rush to get people to the table. The meat is almost cold by the time
they dig in. I feel better relying on a piping hot casserole.

Kris[_1_] 12-03-2009 10:27 PM

On Mar 12, 3:24*pm, Mr. Bill > wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:05:19 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
> wrote:
>
> >I like that idea. Do you suppose there's a "National Beef Wellington
> >Day"? :)

> I will make it National Beef Wellington day for YOU.....if I am
> invited. * BTW....who would question you? * *
>
> You can have a National California (or French) Burgundy day and serve
> that also. *

You're right - who WOULD question me?

I think I'll start a spaghetti carbonara day, a shrimp scampi day,
pesto day, creme brulee day...

Kris

Becca 12-03-2009 11:31 PM

wrote:
> My favorite theme is 'you-can't-see-the-hostess-cook'. I like to have
> everything done ahead and waiting in the fridge, ready to serve or pop
> in oven. I hate a guest watching every move and asking questions.
>
> I also don't like to grill anything outside - there's always a frantic
> rush to get people to the table. The meat is almost cold by the time
> they dig in. I feel better relying on a piping hot casserole.

If I am having a dinner party for a large group, I feel the same way, I
do not want to be in the kitchen cooking while the party is going on.

I like costume parties that follow a theme, you dress like one of the
characters. I have done Dallas, Deadwood, The Sopranos, and in June we
are doing a 60's party (again). There is more work decorating the
house, and finding menus that match the theme, but it is a lot of fun.

Becca

Mr. Bill[_2_] 12-03-2009 11:42 PM

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 17:31:19 -0500, Becca > wrote:

>I like costume parties that follow a theme, you dress like one of the
>characters.

We did that one time...but the twist was when you arrived at the
party, a famous person was written on a label that was placed on your
forehead and you couldn't see the name but everyone else knew who you
were. The object through the evening was to ask questions to other
people to help you identify the person you were named for. A couple
of martinis and it became lots of fun.

Melba's Jammin' 12-03-2009 11:44 PM

What is your favorite dinner party theme/cuisine?

In article
Kris > wrote:

> What do you like to do for a dinner party?
> Thanks,
> Kris

I like to be invited to come to the table. My sister-in-law says a
peanut butter sandwich tastes good if you don't have to fix it yourself.
I'm with her.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Gloria P 12-03-2009 11:47 PM

What is your favorite dinner party theme/cuisine?

> Kris wrote:

>> What do you like to do for a dinner party?

For the past few years our dinner guests have either been out of town
family coming to ski, or European businessmen (who love, love, love
American beef.) I'm afraid "theme" beyond just good food is more than I
can handle in my dottage.

For family it's usually something like grilled salmon or something which
can be prepared ahead like lasagna, chili, spaghetti with meatballs and
sausage, paella, stew, etc. because family usually comes in multiple
generations on separate flights, and we're never sure when they'll all
arrive. I occasionally make a traditional Portuguese stew of seafood or
pork or chicken, but it depends on who's coming--we have a lot of
under-10 yr. olds who are picky.

Our European guests often get a whole roasted or grilled beef tenderloin
roast with fresh vegetables in season, which follows an assorted cheese
board, smoked salmon or pickled herring, brine cured olives, hummus,
etc. Dessert is often some kind of pie or strawberries and cream with
angelfood cake followed by grappa or brandy.

gloria p

Dimitri 12-03-2009 11:49 PM

"Kris" > wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> Thought I'd start a new thread with a subject I've been pondering
> lately.
>
> I want to host a couple of dinner parties in the near future, and am
> wondering about themes, or merely cuisine types to cook by (I like
> themes, I'm just geeky like that). In the past I've done Bistro,
> Italian, Russian, Swedish and regular French.
>
> In a ideal world, I'd like to re-create some sumptuous feast such as a
> British Royal banquet,or the last dinner on the Titantic or some fancy
> labour-intensive thing. But that's not gonna happen now.
>
> What do you like to do for a dinner party? I'd love to hear what
> others do,especially from such a talented group.:)
>
> Thanks,
> Kris

If the weather permits - Do a Napa Valley outdoor grilling party. A
butterflied leg of lamb as the base dish. Any of the Napa valley sites like
this one

http://www.chefsofnapavalley.com/recipes/index.cfm

Just Google Napa Valley recipes.

Dimitri

Kris[_1_] 13-03-2009 03:20 AM

On Mar 12, 6:49*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "Kris" > wrote in message

> > Hello all,

> > Thought I'd start a new thread with a subject I've been pondering
> > lately.

> > I want to host a couple of dinner parties in the near future, and am
> > wondering about themes, or merely cuisine types to cook by (I like
> > themes, I'm just geeky like that). *In the past I've done Bistro,
> > Italian, Russian, Swedish and regular French.

> > In a ideal world, I'd like to re-create some sumptuous feast such as a
> > British Royal banquet,or the last dinner on the Titantic or some fancy
> > labour-intensive thing. *But that's not gonna happen now.

> > What do you like to do for a dinner party? I'd love to hear what
> > others do,especially from such a talented group.:)

> > Thanks,
> > Kris

> If the weather permits - Do a Napa Valley outdoor grilling party. *A
> butterflied leg of lamb as the base dish. *Any of the Napa valley sites like
> this one
>
> http://www.chefsofnapavalley.com/recipes/index.cfm
>
> Just Google Napa Valley recipes.
>
> Dimitri- Hide quoted text -

Mmmm. That sounds good. Thank you!

Kris

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 13-03-2009 03:42 AM

Becca wrote:

> I like costume parties that follow a theme, you dress like one of the
> characters. I have done Dallas, Deadwood, The Sopranos, and in June we
> are doing a 60's party (again). There is more work decorating the house,
> and finding menus that match the theme, but it is a lot of fun.

Somehow, when I first glanced at that paragraph, I thought I saw "Caligula"
in there. Must have been the "(a" from the third line close to the "al" in
"Dallas."

Bob

Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig 13-03-2009 05:10 AM

On Mar 12, 1:05*pm, Kris > wrote:
> On Mar 12, 2:53*pm, Mr. Bill > wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:49:52 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
> > wrote:

> > >What do you like to do for a dinner party?

> > My menu planning, is occasion based. * *Easter, Fourth of July, etc..
> > But it really becomes fun and challenging when you look on the
> > internet for the "occasion" of that particular day. * * Today is
> > National Bagel day or something. * That makes it fun and stretches
> > your entertaining skills.

> I like that idea. Do you suppose there's a "National Beef Wellington
> Day"? :)
>
> Kris

You could do it on Guy Fawkes Day (November 5)
Lynn in Fargo
(also my birthday heehehe)

Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig 13-03-2009 05:14 AM

On Mar 12, 3:27*pm, Kris > wrote:
> On Mar 12, 3:24*pm, Mr. Bill > wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:05:19 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
> > wrote:

> > >I like that idea. Do you suppose there's a "National Beef Wellington
> > >Day"? :)

> > I will make it National Beef Wellington day for YOU.....if I am
> > invited. * BTW....who would question you? * *

> > You can have a National California (or French) Burgundy day and serve
> > that also. *

> You're right - who WOULD question me?
>
> I think I'll start a spaghetti carbonara day, a shrimp scampi day,
> pesto day, creme brulee day...
>
> Kris

Instead of turkey et.al. foodie and writer Calvin Trillin wanted the
official meal for Thanksgiving to be Spaghetti Carbonara. It's in one
of his books . . Life With Alice (????)
Lynn in Fargo

Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig 13-03-2009 05:38 AM

What is your favorite dinner party theme/cuisine?

When I was married before child, one of my favorite things to do was
to tell my DH "Pick a country, any country" Then I would go find the
recipes and make a whole dinner. Always had at least two and not more
than 6 guests. (Would be easier now with the Net !)

I have done (among others):

Mozambique/West Africa - (Grilled PiriPiri Shrimp, rustic bread and
a green bean dish with tomatoes - can't remember dessert .

Armenian - (Butterflied leg of lamb with orzo, raisin & pine nut
stuffing, an Armenian salad with feta, tomatoes, olives, bell peppers,
& cucumber in lemon vinaigrette, and Cream Baklava. This also had a
truly horrible cold soup made with yogurt, garbanzo beans and
something chopped and green - cilantro?

Switzerland - skewered grilled liver on a bed of sauteed spinach,
Rosti potatoes - can't remember that dessert either! Possibly just ice
cream, I'm not the world's happiest baker!

The soup was the only thing that EVERYBODY hated!
Lynn in Fargo

sf[_9_] 13-03-2009 05:50 AM

wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>Thought I'd start a new thread with a subject I've been pondering
>lately.
>
>I want to host a couple of dinner parties in the near future, and am
>wondering about themes, or merely cuisine types to cook by (I like
>themes, I'm just geeky like that). In the past I've done Bistro,
>Italian, Russian, Swedish and regular French.
>
>In a ideal world, I'd like to re-create some sumptuous feast such as a
>British Royal banquet,or the last dinner on the Titantic or some fancy
>labour-intensive thing. But that's not gonna happen now.
>
>What do you like to do for a dinner party? I'd love to hear what
>others do,especially from such a talented group.:)

I think dinner "themes" suck big time. IMO, you have a real lack of
social skills if you have to resort to that in your own home.

Mae West

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] 13-03-2009 06:15 AM

What is your favorite dinner party theme/cuisine?

On Thu 12 Mar 2009 09:50:17p, sf told us...

> On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:49:52 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
> wrote:
>
>>Hello all,
>>
>>Thought I'd start a new thread with a subject I've been pondering
>>lately.
>>
>>I want to host a couple of dinner parties in the near future, and am
>>wondering about themes, or merely cuisine types to cook by (I like
>>themes, I'm just geeky like that). In the past I've done Bistro,
>>Italian, Russian, Swedish and regular French.
>>
>>In a ideal world, I'd like to re-create some sumptuous feast such as a
>>British Royal banquet,or the last dinner on the Titantic or some fancy
>>labour-intensive thing. But that's not gonna happen now.
>>
>>What do you like to do for a dinner party? I'd love to hear what
>>others do,especially from such a talented group.:)
>>

> I think dinner "themes" suck big time. IMO, you have a real lack of
> social skills if you have to resort to that in your own home.

I don't think that's always the case. I would find it intriguing to re-
create the last dinner on the Titanic. It's historic and many people find
it interesting.

OTOH, theme dinners can seem contrived, yet dinners of a specific cuisine
(which some might consider a theme) are different, IMHO.

One that I like to serve every couple of years is a 12 Boy Shrimp Curry
dinner. Guests who haven't had it find it interesting and impressive and
those who have eaten it look forward to having it again.

I don't consider dinners of a certain cuisine to be themes, but perhaps
some people do.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 13-03-2009 09:29 AM

sf wrote:

>> Thought I'd start a new thread with a subject I've been pondering
>> lately.
>>
>> I want to host a couple of dinner parties in the near future, and am
>> wondering about themes, or merely cuisine types to cook by (I like
>> themes, I'm just geeky like that). In the past I've done Bistro,
>> Italian, Russian, Swedish and regular French.
>>
>> In a ideal world, I'd like to re-create some sumptuous feast such as a
>> British Royal banquet,or the last dinner on the Titantic or some fancy
>> labour-intensive thing. But that's not gonna happen now.
>>
>> What do you like to do for a dinner party? I'd love to hear what
>> others do,especially from such a talented group.:)
>>

> I think dinner "themes" suck big time. IMO, you have a real lack of
> social skills if you have to resort to that in your own home.

I think it depends on how you implement the theme. If you impose a
requirement for your family to dress in a silly way to humor you for a theme
dinner, that might be a bit weak. But I see nothing wrong with making an
all-Italian dinner. This year for my birthday I'm working on a menu in the
style of Alinea (a famous restaurant in Chicago). Does that constitute a
theme?

Moreover, if you ever watch "Semi-Homemade," you'll see that most of Sandra
Lee's events have some kind of theme, and while she might be somewhat
lacking in the culinary department, I'd venture to say that she has
exceptional social skills. Same thing with Rachael Ray and her "30-Minute
Meals" (which of course in reality take longer than 30 minutes to cook, but
they're still pretty fast).

Bob

Kris[_1_] 13-03-2009 01:06 PM

What is your favorite dinner party theme/cuisine?

On Mar 13, 4:29*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> sf wrote:
> >> Thought I'd start a new thread with a subject I've been pondering
> >> lately.

> >> I want to host a couple of dinner parties in the near future, and am
> >> wondering about themes, or merely cuisine types to cook by (I like
> >> themes, I'm just geeky like that). *In the past I've done Bistro,
> >> Italian, Russian, Swedish and regular French.

> >> In a ideal world, I'd like to re-create some sumptuous feast such as a
> >> British Royal banquet,or the last dinner on the Titantic or some fancy
> >> labour-intensive thing. *But that's not gonna happen now.

> >> What do you like to do for a dinner party? I'd love to hear what
> >> others do,especially from such a talented group.:)

> > I think dinner "themes" suck big time. *IMO, you have a real lack of
> > social skills if you have to resort to that in your own home.

> I think it depends on how you implement the theme. If you impose a
> requirement for your family to dress in a silly way to humor you for a theme
> dinner, that might be a bit weak. But I see nothing wrong with making an
> all-Italian dinner. This year for my birthday I'm working on a menu in the
> style of Alinea (a famous restaurant in Chicago). Does that constitute a
> theme?
>
> Moreover, if you ever watch "Semi-Homemade," you'll see that most of Sandra
> Lee's events have some kind of theme, and while she might be somewhat
>Lod, lacking in the culinary department, I'd venture to say that she has
> exceptional social skills. Same thing with Rachael Ray and her "30-Minute
> Meals" (which of course in reality take longer than 30 minutes to cook, but
> they're still pretty fast).
>
> Bob- Hide quoted text -

Lord, I hope it's obvious that I would either a: make my guests dress
up against their will or b: pull a Sandra Lee!

I'm talking food themes, to bring a dinner together in a fun and
delicious way.

I think your restaurant idea sounds like a great theme. But forgive
me, where/when was that place? I lived in Chicago for 8 years and have
never heard of it.

Kris

[email protected] 13-03-2009 03:32 PM

On Mar 13, 12:50*am, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:49:52 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
> wrote:
>

> >Hello all,

> >Thought I'd start a new thread with a subject I've been pondering
> >lately.

> >I want to host a couple of dinner parties in the near future, and am
> >wondering about themes, or merely cuisine types to cook by (I like
> >themes, I'm just geeky like that). *In the past I've done Bistro,
> >Italian, Russian, Swedish and regular French.

> >In a ideal world, I'd like to re-create some sumptuous feast such as a
> >British Royal banquet,or the last dinner on the Titantic or some fancy
> >labour-intensive thing. *But that's not gonna happen now.

> >What do you like to do for a dinner party? I'd love to hear what
> >others do,especially from such a talented group.:)

> I think dinner "themes" suck big time. *IMO, you have a real lack of
> social skills if you have to resort to that in your own home.

thank HEAVEN for this point of view. Now I can sleep nights. : ))

I have a tough enough time cleaning and getting the guest room ready,
let alone a theme with decorations and a costume. Just planning the
menu is worth hours of anxiety.

Debbie[_1_] 13-03-2009 07:00 PM

On Mar 13, 12:50 am, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:49:52 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
> wrote:
>

> >Hello all,

> >Thought I'd start a new thread with a subject I've been pondering
> >lately.

> >I want to host a couple of dinner parties in the near future, and am
> >wondering about themes, or merely cuisine types to cook by (I like
> >themes, I'm just geeky like that). In the past I've done Bistro,
> >Italian, Russian, Swedish and regular French.

> >In a ideal world, I'd like to re-create some sumptuous feast such as a
> >British Royal banquet,or the last dinner on the Titantic or some fancy
> >labour-intensive thing. But that's not gonna happen now.

> >What do you like to do for a dinner party? I'd love to hear what
> >others do,especially from such a talented group.:)

> I think dinner "themes" suck big time. IMO, you have a real lack of
> social skills if you have to resort to that in your own home.

thank HEAVEN for this point of view. Now I can sleep nights. : ))

I have a tough enough time cleaning and getting the guest room ready,
let alone a theme with decorations and a costume. Just planning the
menu is worth hours of anxiety.

I think there are theme and then there are "theme" dinners. I participate
in the first. No dressing up, no accompanying music, no funky decorations,
just the dinner menu. On the other hand, I did have an Academy Award Party
one time where everyone brought a food dish signifying the name of a movie
and came dressed as their favourite movie star. Other than the odd
Hallowe'en party which begs dressing up, that is the sum total of theme
nights I've even particiated in.

For St Pat's Day, we are having:

Irish Stew
Tea Biscuits or plain scones.. not decided yet.
Washed down with Guinness which is not green
Irish Coffee
Still working on the dessert.

Debbie who thinks the above is a theme

Arri London 13-03-2009 07:12 PM

Kris wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Thought I'd start a new thread with a subject I've been pondering
> lately.
>
> I want to host a couple of dinner parties in the near future, and am
> wondering about themes, or merely cuisine types to cook by (I like
> themes, I'm just geeky like that). In the past I've done Bistro,
> Italian, Russian, Swedish and regular French.
>
> In a ideal world, I'd like to re-create some sumptuous feast such as a
> British Royal banquet,or the last dinner on the Titantic or some fancy
> labour-intensive thing. But that's not gonna happen now.
>
> What do you like to do for a dinner party? I'd love to hear what
> others do,especially from such a talented group.:)
>
> Thanks,
> Kris

No themes really. The menu depends very much on who was invited and what
they will/won't/can't eat. When catering would ask the clients what
they'd like served and worked around from there.

Kris[_1_] 13-03-2009 07:57 PM

On Mar 13, 8:06*am, Kris > wrote:
> On Mar 13, 4:29*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
> wrote:

> > > I think dinner "themes" suck big time. *IMO, you have a real lack of
> > > social skills if you have to resort to that in your own home.

> > I think it depends on how you implement the theme. If you impose a
> > requirement for your family to dress in a silly way to humor you for a theme
> > dinner, that might be a bit weak. But I see nothing wrong with making an
> > all-Italian dinner. This year for my birthday I'm working on a menu in the
> > style of Alinea (a famous restaurant in Chicago). Does that constitute a
> > theme?

> > Moreover, if you ever watch "Semi-Homemade," you'll see that most of Sandra
> > Lee's events have some kind of theme, and while she might be somewhat
> >Lod, lacking in the culinary department, I'd venture to say that she has
> > exceptional social skills. Same thing with Rachael Ray and her "30-Minute
> > Meals" (which of course in reality take longer than 30 minutes to cook, but
> > they're still pretty fast).

> > Bob- Hide quoted text -

> Lord, I hope it's obvious that I would either a: make my guests dress
> up against their will or b: pull a Sandra Lee!
>
> I'm talking food themes, to bring a dinner together in a fun and
> delicious way.
>
> I think your restaurant idea sounds like a great theme. *But forgive
> me, where/when was that place? I lived in Chicago for 8 years and have
> never heard of it.
>
> Kris- Hide quoted text -

Geez, I meant "neither", as in I wouldn'tdo thattomy guests. Gotta
watch my typing sometimes...

Joseph Littleshoes[_2_] 13-03-2009 08:07 PM

Kris wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Thought I'd start a new thread with a subject I've been pondering
> lately.
>
> I want to host a couple of dinner parties in the near future, and am
> wondering about themes, or merely cuisine types to cook by (I like
> themes, I'm just geeky like that). In the past I've done Bistro,
> Italian, Russian, Swedish and regular French.
>
> In a ideal world, I'd like to re-create some sumptuous feast such as a
> British Royal banquet,or the last dinner on the Titantic or some fancy
> labour-intensive thing. But that's not gonna happen now.

If your interested i have a description of a "red" dinner prepared by
the head Chef of the Monte Carlo Hotel & casino August Escoffier in the
1800's.

To celebrate a large win at the roulette table a person won a
considerable amount of money by betting on 'red' so Escoffier prepared a
dinner for them based on the color red which they sp ent their winning one.

I have made the rose ice cream that was served and if you can get
certified organic roses its worth the effort (not hard to make but
getting edible roses is).

Some where i have a 40 course lunch menu that was served in the late
1700's early 1800's at the Brighton pavilion for George the IV of
England. The commentary on it states that it was a routine 40 course
luncheon for local notables. I have a copy of the menu but its all in
French so if your interested i can try to scan it and send it along.

> What do you like to do for a dinner party? I'd love to hear what
> others do,especially from such a talented group.:)

Up until a few years ago i gave at least one sit down, white tie, formal
dinner per year. Usually Christmas or New Years. Just as an excuse to
put on the tux.

A back injury kept me from doing any elaborate entertaining the last few
years but im so much better now i think im actually going to start doing
so again.

There's a big building that houses the Bechtel corp. local headquarters
not far from my place and they have a garden that can be rented for
special events.

Its a lovely, big, walled garden with a copy of one of the big 3 stone
pillars form Stonehenge situated near a waterfall and stream that runs
around the edge of the large garden.

I would love to host a candlelight dinner there but there's just no
guarantee about weather.

Same with the "Temple of the Winds" in Berkeley, lovely greek style
temple, which can be rented for special events. But the hills of
Berkeley can be very temperamental, sunny & warm down on the flatlands &
fog shrouded in the hills.

My fantasy dinner party would be held at San Simione, the old Hearst estate.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...astle_pool.jpg
http://www.everydaywine.net/images/hearstcastle.jpg

Its open to the public and available for special (primarily corporate)
events but probly beyond my means.

Now if Versailles were able to be rented for an evening i & my tux would
move to France:) Heck, i would even settle for the Grand or Petite
Trianon but they are reserved by the French Government for State
functions or very wealthy or well funded movie companies.

Dinner in the Salon d'Hercule and dancing in the Gallery de Glace?
But even if that were possible, im told there's a serious lack of
'facilities' as bad or worse than during the ancient regime when at
least then you could borrow a chamber pot:)

And while there is a charming little bistro near the eastern end of the
grand canal, im not schlepping myself to France for a bit to eat in the
park of Versailles.

Maybe we should all pool our funds and rent a Loire valley chateaux for
the summer?

Get out the powdered wigs and panniers and think about it?
--
JL

Becca 14-03-2009 01:47 AM

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Becca wrote:
>
>> I like costume parties that follow a theme, you dress like one of the
>> characters. I have done Dallas, Deadwood, The Sopranos, and in June we
>> are doing a 60's party (again). There is more work decorating the
>> house,
>> and finding menus that match the theme, but it is a lot of fun.

> Somehow, when I first glanced at that paragraph, I thought I saw
> "Caligula"
> in there. Must have been the "(a" from the third line close to the
> "al" in
> "Dallas."
>
> Bob

Heh, heh, heh....

Becca

Becca 14-03-2009 01:52 AM

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Moreover, if you ever watch "Semi-Homemade," you'll see that most of
> Sandra
> Lee's events have some kind of theme, and while she might be somewhat
> lacking in the culinary department, I'd venture to say that she has
> exceptional social skills. Same thing with Rachael Ray and her "30-Minute
> Meals" (which of course in reality take longer than 30 minutes to
> cook, but
> they're still pretty fast).
>
> Bob

Sandra Lee is a chef I have never seen, not even on the morning news or
a talk show. I have no idea what she looks like, but I might give her a
try. She gets a lot of comments in this group.

Becca

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 14-03-2009 02:42 AM

Kris wrote:

> Lord, I hope it's obvious that I would either a: make my guests dress up
> against their will or b: pull a Sandra Lee!

I knew you meant "neither" there. :-)

> I think your restaurant idea sounds like a great theme. But forgive me,
> where/when was that place? I lived in Chicago for 8 years and have never
> heard of it.

Alinea opened in 2005, so it's fairly new. A lot has been written about it,
and there's an "Alinea" cookbook which I have.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alinea_(restaurant) contains some bare-bones
information about the place, and the "External Links" section of that
article provides links to some fun reading.

Bob

Kris[_1_] 14-03-2009 02:46 AM

What is your favorite dinner party theme/cuisine?

On Mar 13, 9:42*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Kris wrote:
> > Lord, I hope it's obvious that I would either a: make my guests dress up
> > against their will or b: pull a Sandra Lee!

> I knew you meant "neither" there. :-)
>
> > I think your restaurant idea sounds like a great theme. *But forgive me,
> > where/when was that place? I lived in Chicago for 8 years and have never
> > heard of it.

> Alinea opened in 2005, so it's fairly new. A lot has been written about it,
> and there's an "Alinea" cookbook which I have.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alinea_(restaurant) contains some bare-bones
> information about the place, and the "External Links" section of that
> article provides links to some fun reading.
>
> Bob

Yep, that was after I moved. I looked at that link - sounds
impressive! Do you have a favorite recipe from that cookbook?

Thanks for the info,
Kris

Kris

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 14-03-2009 03:59 AM

Kris wrote about Alinea:

> Yep, that was after I moved. I looked at that link - sounds
> impressive! Do you have a favorite recipe from that cookbook?

The main things I took away from that cookbook were the ideas of:

1. Thinking of recipes in terms of combinations of flavors

2. Innovative ways to combine flavors and present food

My birthday menu is currently only in the stage where I've decided on some
of the flavor combinations. In some cases I have tentatively decided how to
combine them:

* Cucumber, mint, and dill
(I think this course will be a cucumber-infused gelatin with powdered mint
leaves and dill)

* Cheddar, smoked tomato, and watercress
(maybe a demitasse of smoked tomato soup with cheddar croutons and a
garnish of watercress puréed in oil.)

* Cornbread, honey, and black pepper
(no fancy manipulation required: Just those three items together)

* Pork, plums, and habañero chiles
(maybe pork chops with a plum-habañero salsa. Or maybe pork braised with
plums, habañeros, and honey.)

* Watermelon, balsamic vinegar, and shiso
(maybe watermelon vacuum-packed with balsamic and garnished with shiso. Or
maybe a watermelon-balsamic-shiso sorbet.)

* Milk chocolate, cinnamon, and apricot
(This will require some explanation: I plan to make an apricot "anti-lava"
thingy. A "lava" cake is cooked on the outside but still liquid inside. I
plan to make a concentrated apricot purée which will be frozen on the
outside but still liquid inside. I haven't decided how I'm going to
incorporate cinnamon and milk chocolate.)

I don't plan for any of the courses listed to be very big, so I might add
some more courses, especially considering that the menu doesn't have much in
the way of vegetable dishes. My birthday is in early September, which means
it will be very hot and dry here, and the following things will be in season
locally:

Avocado
Blackberries
Eggplant
Grapes
Lettuces
Okra
Peppers
Radish
Raspberries
Sunchokes (and sunflower sprouts)
Tomatillos

uncommon but also in season:
Salsify
Burdock
Mulberrries
Purslane

Since sunchokes and avocados both have vaguely nutty flavors, I'm thinking
of making a sunchoke-avocado salad with a dressing containing almond oil as
another course. If I can find mulberries and just-caught trout, I could
combine them somehow too; I think that could be a good combination if done
in the right way. At any rate, there's plenty of time between now and
September, so all of this is open to change.

Bob

Lin 14-03-2009 04:20 AM

Christine Dabney wrote:

> Ooh, ooh!! If I am up there by that time (planning on it, if I can
> get a job!) may I come over and help cook?
>
> Christine, inviting herself to Bob's birthday dinner...

You would be most welcome as a guest of the greatest distinction at our
table! We'd love to have you.

--Lin (setting a place for Christine now)

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 14-03-2009 04:22 AM

Christine wrote:

> Bob, have you read, or are you reading the newest blog about cooking
> from the Alinea cookbook? It's from the same lady that did the blog
> about cooking from the French Laundry cookbook.
>
> http://www.alineaathome.com/

Yes, I've been reading that with interest. So far, the caramel-corn one
looked best to me, but there are a few others I might make one of these
days.

Bob