Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gloria P Gloria P is offline

Default What is your favorite dinner party theme/cuisine?

> Kris wrote:

>> What do you like to do for a dinner party?

For the past few years our dinner guests have either been out of town
family coming to ski, or European businessmen (who love, love, love
American beef.) I'm afraid "theme" beyond just good food is more than I
can handle in my dottage.

For family it's usually something like grilled salmon or something which
can be prepared ahead like lasagna, chili, spaghetti with meatballs and
sausage, paella, stew, etc. because family usually comes in multiple
generations on separate flights, and we're never sure when they'll all
arrive. I occasionally make a traditional Portuguese stew of seafood or
pork or chicken, but it depends on who's coming--we have a lot of
under-10 yr. olds who are picky.

Our European guests often get a whole roasted or grilled beef tenderloin
roast with fresh vegetables in season, which follows an assorted cheese
board, smoked salmon or pickled herring, brine cured olives, hummus,
etc. Dessert is often some kind of pie or strawberries and cream with
angelfood cake followed by grappa or brandy.

gloria p