Posted to rec.food.cooking
Debbie[_1_] Debbie[_1_] is offline

Default What is your favorite dinner party theme/cuisine?

"Kris" > wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> Thought I'd start a new thread with a subject I've been pondering
> lately.
>
> I want to host a couple of dinner parties in the near future, and am
> wondering about themes, or merely cuisine types to cook by (I like
> themes, I'm just geeky like that). In the past I've done Bistro,
> Italian, Russian, Swedish and regular French.
>
> In a ideal world, I'd like to re-create some sumptuous feast such as a
> British Royal banquet,or the last dinner on the Titantic or some fancy
> labour-intensive thing. But that's not gonna happen now.
>
> What do you like to do for a dinner party? I'd love to hear what
> others do,especially from such a talented group.

I have done all the above, including doing a couple of piggies in chicken
wire in a hole in the ground. Lost a hedge that way! :-) I love theme
parties and casual dinner parties. I also love the formal dinner parties.
It all depends on what my soul is yankering for at the moment. As I age I
tend to the more informal ones. My favourite part of preparing the meal is
the hor's doervres and appetizer course. I can spend mucho time working on
these. I like the main course to pretty much do its own work so I can
semi-relax once I have served up the appetizer. I find dessert can often
get lost so unless I am going to do something exciting, like flambéing
something, I try to stick to simple like small fruit and cheezes.

Debbie