Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Ideas for a 30th birthday party theme

My 30th is coming up in December, and I'm continuing my tradition of
hosting a wine tasting party for the occasion.

I'm trying hard, and failing, to come up with a theme this year that
has anything to do with the number 30, 1977, or anything along those
lines. An all 1977 Vintage Port tasting anyone? No thanks, not to
mention how expensive it would be.

Typically, I name a theme (Zinfandel horizontal, Old World Wines,
Wines of Italy have been some past ones) and request that guests bring
either a bottle of wine per couple, or some food. I then give
suggestions for those who don't attend these types of events very
often, and would otherwise feel somewhat lost.

Before I capitulate and decide to just pick some theme that would fit
any other year as well as this one, I wanted to know if anyone had
suggestions? Has anybody attended or hosted something similar, for a
"milestone" birthday such as this? What did you do?

Thanks!

- Chris

Posted to alt.food.wine

Chris Sprague > wrote in news:1191879414.200617.78900
@v3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

> often, and would otherwise feel somewhat lost.
>
> Before I capitulate and decide to just pick some theme that would fit
> any other year as well as this one, I wanted to know if anyone had
> suggestions? Has anybody attended or hosted something similar, for a
> "milestone" birthday such as this? What did you do?
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Chris

Other than to note that -30- is newspaper for the end?
Actually 30 is overrated, perhaps you could work around the theme of
expectations for the future that surpass our expectations.

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Posted to alt.food.wine

Joseph Coulter > wrote in
. 97.136:

> Other than to note that -30- is newspaper for the end?
> Actually 30 is overrated, perhaps you could work around the theme of
> expectations for the future that surpass our expectations.

sort of a better than expected theme. wines that shouldn't be great
according to the "experts" but have been found to be winners

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Posted to alt.food.wine

Chris Sprague wrote:
> My 30th is coming up in December, and I'm continuing my tradition of
> hosting a wine tasting party for the occasion.
>
> I'm trying hard, and failing, to come up with a theme this year that
> has anything to do with the number 30, 1977, or anything along those
> lines. An all 1977 Vintage Port tasting anyone? No thanks, not to
> mention how expensive it would be.

Everybody brings a $30 wine?

pk

Posted to alt.food.wine
JB JB is offline

I like that idea!

"p.k." > wrote in message
> Chris Sprague wrote:
>> My 30th is coming up in December, and I'm continuing my tradition of
>> hosting a wine tasting party for the occasion.
>>
>> I'm trying hard, and failing, to come up with a theme this year that
>> has anything to do with the number 30, 1977, or anything along those
>> lines. An all 1977 Vintage Port tasting anyone? No thanks, not to
>> mention how expensive it would be.

> Everybody brings a $30 wine?
>
> pk

Posted to alt.food.wine

"pavane" > skrev i melding
> I'm having trouble with wines relating to Pearl. Just a thought.

No problem, Paarl in South Africa and Margaret River in Australia...

Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 19, 5:25 pm, "Anders Tørneskog" >
wrote:
> "pavane" > skrev i om...> I'm having trouble with wines relating to Pearl. Just a thought.
>
> No problem, Paarl in South Africa and Margaret River in Australia...
>
> Anders

I'm now thinking along the lines of "things that get better with age"
as a theme. Not necessarily 1977, but some older stuff that will be a
new experience to many of us. Perhaps even throw in the current-
release counterparts to some of them for comparison.

Thanks for the ideas.

- Chris