Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What is your favorite dinner party theme/cuisine?

On Thu 12 Mar 2009 09:50:17p, sf told us...

> On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:49:52 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
> wrote:
>
>>Hello all,
>>
>>Thought I'd start a new thread with a subject I've been pondering
>>lately.
>>
>>I want to host a couple of dinner parties in the near future, and am
>>wondering about themes, or merely cuisine types to cook by (I like
>>themes, I'm just geeky like that). In the past I've done Bistro,
>>Italian, Russian, Swedish and regular French.
>>
>>In a ideal world, I'd like to re-create some sumptuous feast such as a
>>British Royal banquet,or the last dinner on the Titantic or some fancy
>>labour-intensive thing. But that's not gonna happen now.
>>
>>What do you like to do for a dinner party? I'd love to hear what
>>others do,especially from such a talented group.
>>

> I think dinner "themes" suck big time. IMO, you have a real lack of
> social skills if you have to resort to that in your own home.

I don't think that's always the case. I would find it intriguing to re-
create the last dinner on the Titanic. It's historic and many people find
it interesting.

OTOH, theme dinners can seem contrived, yet dinners of a specific cuisine
(which some might consider a theme) are different, IMHO.

One that I like to serve every couple of years is a 12 Boy Shrimp Curry
dinner. Guests who haven't had it find it interesting and impressive and
those who have eaten it look forward to having it again.

I don't consider dinners of a certain cuisine to be themes, but perhaps
some people do.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.