Posted to rec.food.cooking
Debbie[_1_] Debbie[_1_] is offline

Default What is your favorite dinner party theme/cuisine?

On Mar 13, 12:50 am, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:49:52 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
> wrote:
>

> >Hello all,

> >Thought I'd start a new thread with a subject I've been pondering
> >lately.

> >I want to host a couple of dinner parties in the near future, and am
> >wondering about themes, or merely cuisine types to cook by (I like
> >themes, I'm just geeky like that). In the past I've done Bistro,
> >Italian, Russian, Swedish and regular French.

> >In a ideal world, I'd like to re-create some sumptuous feast such as a
> >British Royal banquet,or the last dinner on the Titantic or some fancy
> >labour-intensive thing. But that's not gonna happen now.

> >What do you like to do for a dinner party? I'd love to hear what
> >others do,especially from such a talented group.

> I think dinner "themes" suck big time. IMO, you have a real lack of
> social skills if you have to resort to that in your own home.

thank HEAVEN for this point of view. Now I can sleep nights. : ))

I have a tough enough time cleaning and getting the guest room ready,
let alone a theme with decorations and a costume. Just planning the
menu is worth hours of anxiety.

I think there are theme and then there are "theme" dinners. I participate
in the first. No dressing up, no accompanying music, no funky decorations,
just the dinner menu. On the other hand, I did have an Academy Award Party
one time where everyone brought a food dish signifying the name of a movie
and came dressed as their favourite movie star. Other than the odd
Hallowe'en party which begs dressing up, that is the sum total of theme
nights I've even particiated in.

For St Pat's Day, we are having:

Irish Stew
Tea Biscuits or plain scones.. not decided yet.
Washed down with Guinness which is not green
Irish Coffee
Still working on the dessert.

Debbie who thinks the above is a theme