Diabetic (alt.food.diabetic) This group is for the discussion of controlled-portion eating plans for the dietary management of diabetes.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #16 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-08-2011, 03:43 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 44,905
Default Low carb diet


"W. Baker" wrote in message
...
Julie Bove wrote:

: "W. Baker" wrote in message
: ...
: Julie Bove wrote:
:
: : "W. Baker" wrote in message
: : ...
: : Julie Bove wrote:
:
: julie,
:
: You can make kebabas in the broiler of your oven. I live in a city
: apartment and would make them for the kids occasionally.

: I won't use the broiler. Too messy. I also don't think I could make
: kebabs. I won't touch raw meat.

: Too bad the chicken kebabs they sell have either wheat or peanut in
them.
If you won't touch aw meat you are giving your daughter a much harder row
to hoe, as using al pre-prepared meat is very limiting as so much of it
ihas things she should not eat in or on it, even the non-gluten nuggests
now are very carby so they are out. You both have many dietary limittions
but it is so much worse when you set, in effect, additional limits on the
food because you don't like to handle it. It makes for an extremely tough
situation, unless you get Angela, with her busy schedule to learn to cook
the things you are unwilling to cook.


I do know how to cook. She just won't eat most of what I cook. She doesn't
like my chicken and I don't know why. I was overcooking it for a while
because that is what I learned to do from my mother. I can not eat meat
myself unless it is very overcooked and dried out because that is what I
grew up on.

Tonight I made chicken tenders in a skillet with only some Herbamare. No
comment at all on the chicken. Which I guess is better than a complaint. I
did however find a piece of meat and a potato on the kitchen floor, each
with a bite taken out of them. She did say she liked the potatoes. But I
hated them so I don't think I will be buying them again.

She does like the cooked, frozen chicken strips. They are not breaded. And
because I wrote to the company I have a couple of really good coupons for
them. So I can get them for little money. She also likes the refrigerated
cooked strips, again unbreaded that Target sells. They don't cost a lot.
And she likes some Mexican seasoned shredded chicken that I got at Costco.
I have forgotten to look for it the last few times I was in.

I have tried to cook chicken a variety of ways. The only way she ever liked
it was in Chicken Vesuvio and she refuses to eat it now because of the wine
in it. Not that she could eat it now because it contains a lot of potatoes.
It is not good at all with the wine in it. I did try it without. Really
seemed like it was lacking something.

I don't know when and if her tastebuds will change. If she eats the same
thing day after day I guess that's fine with me. She does however seem to
get bored with foods faster than I did/do. I ate the same lunch every day
through all of 7th grade, then switched to something else for all of 8th
grade. Throughout 9th grade and high school, I pretty much lived off of
trail mix and salad when I was out. I had something more substantial for
breakfast but was too busy with extracurricular activities to take much time
out to eat. And when I did go out to eat I had salads.



  #17 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 11
Default

Apart from obesity, low-carbohydrate diets are used as treatments for some other conditions, notably diabetes and epilepsy, but also for chronic fatigue syndrome (see ketosis) and polycystic ovarian syndrome.
__________________
used car
  #18 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-08-2011, 06:03 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 364
Default Low carb diet

Hormel and a few others make pre cooked meats like roasts and chicken
breasts that aren't breaded

http://www.hormelfoods.com/brands/ho...edEntrees.aspx

KROM


"W. Baker" wrote

using all pre-prepared meat is very limiting as so much of it
ihas things she should not eat in or on it, even the non-gluten nuggests
now are very carby so they are out. You both have many dietary limittions
but it is so much worse when you set, in effect, additional limits on the
food because you don't like to handle it. It makes for an extremely tough
situation

Wendy


  #19 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-08-2011, 09:29 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 44,905
Default Low carb diet


"KROM" wrote in message ...
Hormel and a few others make pre cooked meats like roasts and chicken
breasts that aren't breaded

http://www.hormelfoods.com/brands/ho...edEntrees.aspx


But the only ones that don't contain her allergens are the Roast Beef Au
Jus, the same but Italian seasoned (yuck) and the Pork Au Jus. She does
like the first and last ones but she likes them with pasta. She will only
eat a tiny bit of the meat and mostly the pasta.


  #20 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-08-2011, 09:56 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,390
Default Low carb diet

Julie Bove wrote:

: "KROM" wrote in message ...
: Hormel and a few others make pre cooked meats like roasts and chicken
: breasts that aren't breaded
:
: http://www.hormelfoods.com/brands/ho...edEntrees.aspx

: But the only ones that don't contain her allergens are the Roast Beef Au
: Jus, the same but Italian seasoned (yuck) and the Pork Au Jus. She does
: like the first and last ones but she likes them with pasta. She will only
: eat a tiny bit of the meat and mostly the pasta.

Can yu tel her that she can't have more than a tiny portion of pasta , but
could try string beans(fresh or canned) or spaghetti squash in place of
the pasta. let her know that there really are no cjoices out side this ,
unless she will eatthe meat plain, with aoem vegetable , etc. She did
learn not to eat foods she is allergic. Now she has some now things she
has to learn she cannot't eat in large enough portions that she fills her
enough, so she has to keep trying too find what she can like and is able
to keep her from getting sick.

Can you find a couse at a Y or some such place that could help you learn
new ways of cooking fresh foods? It might be good for both of you. You
do not have to cook like your Mother. You are young enough to learn new
techniques. It is not a matter of recipes, but methods of cooking like
broiling, etc. You can easily not get everything greasy by broiling if
you take a shlalow metal or enamel over metal pan without a handle, cover
it with aluminum foile and put a grate on the pan and then use that to
broil the chicken or meat. With chicken, you firt start with it sking
side down, and only when close to done, but not all dried out, turn it
over and brown the skin side. You can put herbs, lemon juice, salt and
pepper, etc on the chicken before you broil it.

Wendy


  #21 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-08-2011, 10:35 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 408
Default Low carb diet

In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

I don't know when and if her tastebuds will change.


It seems to me it's her behavior that has to change. Why is this all
about what she likes? This is a requirement for her health. She's just
got to do it.

I doubt very much she'll starve herself to death rather than eat food
that she doesn't prefer.

PP
--
"What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority by means
of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
- Chris Malcolm
  #22 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-08-2011, 10:35 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 44,905
Default Low carb diet


"W. Baker" wrote in message
...
Julie Bove wrote:

: "KROM" wrote in message
...
: Hormel and a few others make pre cooked meats like roasts and chicken
: breasts that aren't breaded
:
:
http://www.hormelfoods.com/brands/ho...edEntrees.aspx

: But the only ones that don't contain her allergens are the Roast Beef Au
: Jus, the same but Italian seasoned (yuck) and the Pork Au Jus. She does
: like the first and last ones but she likes them with pasta. She will
only
: eat a tiny bit of the meat and mostly the pasta.

Can yu tel her that she can't have more than a tiny portion of pasta , but
could try string beans(fresh or canned) or spaghetti squash in place of
the pasta. let her know that there really are no cjoices out side this ,
unless she will eatthe meat plain, with aoem vegetable , etc. She did
learn not to eat foods she is allergic. Now she has some now things she
has to learn she cannot't eat in large enough portions that she fills her
enough, so she has to keep trying too find what she can like and is able
to keep her from getting sick.


Spaghetti squash is just nasty. Nobody in the house will eat it. She will
eat canned green beans but only one serving.

Can you find a couse at a Y or some such place that could help you learn
new ways of cooking fresh foods? It might be good for both of you. You
do not have to cook like your Mother. You are young enough to learn new
techniques. It is not a matter of recipes, but methods of cooking like
broiling, etc. You can easily not get everything greasy by broiling if
you take a shlalow metal or enamel over metal pan without a handle, cover
it with aluminum foile and put a grate on the pan and then use that to
broil the chicken or meat. With chicken, you firt start with it sking
side down, and only when close to done, but not all dried out, turn it
over and brown the skin side. You can put herbs, lemon juice, salt and
pepper, etc on the chicken before you broil it.


I just do not like to use the broiler at all ever. It makes the house too
hot. I also will not cook any chicken with skin nor will Angela eat chicken
with skin on it.

There is no Y around here. There are a couple that I know of. Not close
by. I don't think they offer any cooking classes. I did go to cooking
school. I do know how to cook.


  #23 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-08-2011, 10:37 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 408
Default Low carb diet

In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

There is no way I will handle raw meat even with gloves on. And no way I
will use the broiler. There is no way of knowing if she would even like the
kebabs. Chances are she wouldn't. She just doesn't like meat when I cook
it. I found part of tonight's dinner on the kitchen floor. I guess she
thought I wouldn't see it there? A piece of meat and a potato with one bite
taken out of them. She said she liked the potatoes. Apparently not. I
didn't like them one bit. Most likely because of the garlic. Luckily it
was a small dinner but apparently too much meat for me.


Here we have a mother who refuses to touch raw meat even with gloves on
in order to help her daughter.

And in the other corner a teenaged girl who throws food on the floor
after taking a bite out of it.

Seems to me the least of your problems is preparing food that Angela
will deign to eat.

PP
--
"What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority by means
of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
- Chris Malcolm
  #24 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-08-2011, 11:01 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 44,905
Default Low carb diet


"Peppermint Patootie" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

I don't know when and if her tastebuds will change.


It seems to me it's her behavior that has to change. Why is this all
about what she likes? This is a requirement for her health. She's just
got to do it.


Well maybe *you* can eat food that you don't like. I can't and she can't
either. I would seriously rather starve than to eat something I don't like.
In fact if something I don't like goes in my mouth it just won't go down. I
start retching and gagging and it comes right back out. She is the same
way. So I have to try to come up with things she will like to eat.

I doubt very much she'll starve herself to death rather than eat food
that she doesn't prefer.


I would! I do not like torturing myself.


  #25 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-08-2011, 11:05 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 44,905
Default Low carb diet


"Peppermint Patootie" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

There is no way I will handle raw meat even with gloves on. And no way I
will use the broiler. There is no way of knowing if she would even like
the
kebabs. Chances are she wouldn't. She just doesn't like meat when I
cook
it. I found part of tonight's dinner on the kitchen floor. I guess she
thought I wouldn't see it there? A piece of meat and a potato with one
bite
taken out of them. She said she liked the potatoes. Apparently not. I
didn't like them one bit. Most likely because of the garlic. Luckily it
was a small dinner but apparently too much meat for me.


Here we have a mother who refuses to touch raw meat even with gloves on
in order to help her daughter.


How would my touching raw meat help her? There are plenty of ways to cook
meat without touching it. If I've made it to 52 without touching raw meat I
can make it another 52 years without touching it. Unless something else ges
me first.

And in the other corner a teenaged girl who throws food on the floor
after taking a bite out of it.

Seems to me the least of your problems is preparing food that Angela


Oh you're a fine one to give advice about kids. Seeing as how you have so
many yourself!

There are plenty of ways to dispose of food you don't like. I know of at
least a dozen of them and my parents didn't know of a lot of them. Because
I recently asked them. She is just not as clever as I am/was.

I would just as soon she tell me if she doesn't like something. Then I
won't make it again. Not for her anyway. No need to waste my time and
money.




  #26 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-08-2011, 12:11 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,614
Default Low carb diet



"Julie Bove" wrote in message
...

"Peppermint Patootie" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

I don't know when and if her tastebuds will change.


It seems to me it's her behavior that has to change. Why is this all
about what she likes? This is a requirement for her health. She's
just
got to do it.


Well maybe *you* can eat food that you don't like. I can't and she
can't either. I would seriously rather starve than to eat something I
don't like. In fact if something I don't like goes in my mouth it just
won't go down. I start retching and gagging and it comes right back
out. She is the same way. So I have to try to come up with things
she will like to eat.

I doubt very much she'll starve herself to death rather than eat food
that she doesn't prefer.


I would! I do not like torturing myself.


Julie, I am not sure you are understanding the severity of Angela's
health problems. 1. having the problems she has at 13 is so rare, this
could be the beginning of a lifetime of shocking things for her -
health-wise. 2. She is not you and she, if she is made to realise the
severity of her condition, may very well choose different foods rather
than starve. You can't speak for her. 3. What if she ends up needing
insulin to survive but hates needles? Do you let her die because you
don't want to force her to do what is necessary to live? 4. Do you
really want to see her on a dangerous drug at age 13? 2,000 mg Metformin
could do terrible things to her. I would be avoiding that like the
plague at her age. Her health problems aren't going to go away unless
you actively help her make some serious dietary changes, whether she
likes them or not. She is well and truly old enough to realise the
consequences.

Young kids all over the world have to go on special diets and medical
treatments to stay alive, its just a fact of life and these kids have to
deal with it, whether they are 2 or 13. I can see your point about not
wanting to force things she doesn't like but its not a choice thing
anymore, its really serious life threatening stuff. I personally would
be getting an appt with a kids' hospital endo. Jasmine's open heart
surgery and 6 weeks in intensive care cost close to $200,000. I paid
nothing, I couldn't have paid $200 but if I was told without paying she
wouldn't have the op then I would do everything in my power to get that
money even if I had to sell myself on street corners, no joke. I would
actually do something so abhorrent to raise that money. Please don't
give in to her on this Julie. As a mother, this is very hard for me to
watch.

  #27 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-08-2011, 12:14 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,128
Default Low carb diet

In article , "Julie Bove"
wrote:

So... The quandry. Angela is supposed to follow a low carb diet. But I can
not because I don't digest most protein, fats or fiber very well.

And she doesn't like low carb foods. Because of her allergies she can not
have wheat, peas, lentils, peanuts or almonds. She can have dairy only twice
a week and eggs once a week.


Goat milk will solve that. Duck eggs might solve the egg problem


Because of her thyroid problem she can't
have soy except in limited amounts. Like soy sauce once in a while, soy
lecithin (mainly in vitamins and supplements) and soybean oil (mainly in
restaurants).

For the most part she doesn't like meat. She will eat chicken if it is mixed
into rice or potatoes or if it is plain. No sauces of any kind. She will
eat Ian's chicken nuggets on occasion but with something like 42g of carb,
they are not low carb. Ditto for the Ian's fish sticks or the Starfish
breaded gluten free fish.


You could bread with potato flakes or use any of the following gluten free
grains http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/reci...des/grains.php


Actually I think the fish has even more
carbs but not a lot. Maybe 44. She will eat tuna casserole but that
contains rice pasta so that's not low carb.


plenty of gluten free grains/pasta


Once in a great while I can get

her to eat tuna salad.

She doesn't really like any other kind of meat or fish. She does like some
lamb kebabs from Central Market but at $4.00 per kebab they are not something
I can afford to get often. But then she gets a psychological thing going
about the cute little baby lambs and sometimes when I do buy them she can't
bring herself to eat them.


her problem, but more for you



She will eat turkey in a wrap (not lot carb) or with mashed potatoes. Once
in awhile she will grab a few slices of turkey or bologna and just eat that.
Once in a while she will eat pepperoni, salami or bacon.


all such wonderful non-junk foods?


She will eat my meatloaf. I do plan to make a lot of those for the freezer
when the weather cools off. I hate to use the oven for long periods of time
now. I do put oats in there but not a lot and a bit of flax instead of eggs.
Also a lot of veggies that she wouldn't normally eat. I puree them. She
does know they are in there but doesn't seem to mind.


Let meatloaf be your savior, but how do you make meatloaf without touching raw
meat?


So how do you get someone on a low carb diet who doesn't like low carb?


Just a suggestion, and I know how prickly you get when you actually get help,
but I'd write a gut-wrenching letter to Rachel Ray and Dr Oz (In fact todays
episode showed an extremely low-carb, gluten free, low fat, low calorie pizza
that used cauliflower for the base...yes, this is where you tell us your tale
of woe about her and veggies) and see if they think you would make a good show
or even a good reality series. I'd also write to every food show on the food
channel and see if anyone would take pity on you.

And then there are the clinical trials that you might qualify for, but of
course haven't looked for.



She has already made a few changes. When we go out for Mexican food she has
part of an appetizer such as nachos or bean dip and chips with a salad topped
with a piece of chicken.


all low-carb?


Gah! What to do! What to do?


You could of course actually involve your daughter in the solution instead of
treating her like a baby. The fact that you tolerate her throwing food on the
floor shows your inability to treat her like an adult. You could have her cook
those raw meats you won't touch...but that would require you getting involved
with her instead of her problem.

It might be interesting to find out what she has done in regards to searching
for answers to her problems...she is searching for answers, isn't she?


--

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras lobortis volutpat
commodo. Morbi lobortis, massa fringilla adipiscing suscipit, velit urna
pharetra neque, non luctus arcu diam vitae justo. Vivamus lacinia scelerisque
ultricies. Nunc lobortis elit ligula. Aliquam sollicitudin nunc sed est gravida
ac viverra tellus ullamcorper. Vivamus non nisi suscipit nisi egestas
venenatis. Donec vitae arcu id urna euismod feugiat. Vivamus porta lobortis
ultricies. Nulla adipiscing tellus a neque vehicula porta. Maecenas volutpat
aliquet sagittis. Proin nisi magna, molestie id volutpat in, tincidunt sed
dolor. Nullam nisi erat, aliquet scelerisque sagittis vitae, pretium accumsan
odio. Sed ut mi iaculis eros rutrum tristique ut nec mi. Aliquam nec augue dui,
in mattis urna. In pretium metus eu diam blandit accumsan. Ut eu lorem sed odio
porttitor blandit.
  #28 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-08-2011, 12:21 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 881
Default Low carb diet

I've taken to using grated zucchini sauteed in olive oil as a pasta
substitute under things like chicken breast cooked in pasta sauce. Maybe
she'd like it.

In any case, as others have said, she is going to have to start taking some
responsibility for her own nutrition, and to try to overcome this excessive
finickiness. Allergies are one thing, but she seems to have an awful lot of
extreme food phobias.


  #29 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-08-2011, 01:07 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 44,905
Default Low carb diet


"Ozgirl" wrote in message
...


"Julie Bove" wrote in message
...

"Peppermint Patootie" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

I don't know when and if her tastebuds will change.

It seems to me it's her behavior that has to change. Why is this all
about what she likes? This is a requirement for her health. She's just
got to do it.


Well maybe *you* can eat food that you don't like. I can't and she can't
either. I would seriously rather starve than to eat something I don't
like. In fact if something I don't like goes in my mouth it just won't go
down. I start retching and gagging and it comes right back out. She is
the same way. So I have to try to come up with things she will like to
eat.

I doubt very much she'll starve herself to death rather than eat food
that she doesn't prefer.


I would! I do not like torturing myself.


Julie, I am not sure you are understanding the severity of Angela's health
problems. 1. having the problems she has at 13 is so rare, this could be
the beginning of a lifetime of shocking things for her - health-wise. 2.
She is not you and she, if she is made to realise the severity of her
condition, may very well choose different foods rather than starve. You
can't speak for her. 3. What if she ends up needing insulin to survive but
hates needles? Do you let her die because you don't want to force her to
do what is necessary to live? 4. Do you really want to see her on a
dangerous drug at age 13? 2,000 mg Metformin could do terrible things to
her. I would be avoiding that like the plague at her age. Her health
problems aren't going to go away unless you actively help her make some
serious dietary changes, whether she likes them or not. She is well and
truly old enough to realise the consequences.

I am certainly not speaking for her. I just hate it when people make
blanket statements like that. She doesn't hate needles. I did. I have to
use them now. I still don't like them. I never will. I punched a nurse
when I was a kid because I didn't want her to draw my blood. Angela has
never had problems getting shots or blood draws. She has no problems when I
have tested her BG.

She is on the Metformin. I don't think we can avoid that. We don't know if
the low carb diet will help or not. I do know it doesn't help me. It makes
my blood sugar go high. I guess we won't know with her unless/until they do
another A1c because she isn't testing at home.

Young kids all over the world have to go on special diets and medical
treatments to stay alive, its just a fact of life and these kids have to
deal with it, whether they are 2 or 13. I can see your point about not
wanting to force things she doesn't like but its not a choice thing
anymore, its really serious life threatening stuff. I personally would be
getting an appt with a kids' hospital endo. Jasmine's open heart surgery
and 6 weeks in intensive care cost close to $200,000. I paid nothing, I
couldn't have paid $200 but if I was told without paying she wouldn't have
the op then I would do everything in my power to get that money even if I
had to sell myself on street corners, no joke. I would actually do
something so abhorrent to raise that money. Please don't give in to her on
this Julie. As a mother, this is very hard for me to watch.


There is no way I could go to a kid's hospital Endo. The only place like
that around here is Children's Hospital. It is not near here and we have to
go there for her back and foot. There is a severe lack of Children's
Hospitals around here apparently and people come from many states over to
get to this one. As such the waiting list for an appointment can be as long
as 6 months. And they do not have any appointments after school You would
think being a place for children, they would do this.

Maybe the school your daughter goes to doesn't mind if they miss school for
a Drs. appointment. Angela's school does. In fact she was chastised for
this on her report card. Now I have no choice but to take her there for her
back and her foot because nobody else around here will treat children of her
age. And it remains to be seen if she will have to miss any school for
those things. She does go next week for both things. We'll see.


  #30 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-08-2011, 01:11 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 44,905
Default Low carb diet


"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" wrote in message
...
In article , "Julie Bove"

wrote:

So... The quandry. Angela is supposed to follow a low carb diet. But I
can
not because I don't digest most protein, fats or fiber very well.

And she doesn't like low carb foods. Because of her allergies she can
not
have wheat, peas, lentils, peanuts or almonds. She can have dairy only
twice
a week and eggs once a week.


Goat milk will solve that. Duck eggs might solve the egg problem


Because of her thyroid problem she can't
have soy except in limited amounts. Like soy sauce once in a while, soy
lecithin (mainly in vitamins and supplements) and soybean oil (mainly in
restaurants).

For the most part she doesn't like meat. She will eat chicken if it is
mixed
into rice or potatoes or if it is plain. No sauces of any kind. She
will
eat Ian's chicken nuggets on occasion but with something like 42g of
carb,
they are not low carb. Ditto for the Ian's fish sticks or the Starfish
breaded gluten free fish.


You could bread with potato flakes or use any of the following gluten free
grains http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/reci...des/grains.php


Actually I think the fish has even more
carbs but not a lot. Maybe 44. She will eat tuna casserole but that
contains rice pasta so that's not low carb.


plenty of gluten free grains/pasta


Once in a great while I can get

her to eat tuna salad.

She doesn't really like any other kind of meat or fish. She does like
some
lamb kebabs from Central Market but at $4.00 per kebab they are not
something
I can afford to get often. But then she gets a psychological thing going
about the cute little baby lambs and sometimes when I do buy them she
can't
bring herself to eat them.


her problem, but more for you



She will eat turkey in a wrap (not lot carb) or with mashed potatoes.
Once
in awhile she will grab a few slices of turkey or bologna and just eat
that.
Once in a while she will eat pepperoni, salami or bacon.


all such wonderful non-junk foods?


She will eat my meatloaf. I do plan to make a lot of those for the
freezer
when the weather cools off. I hate to use the oven for long periods of
time
now. I do put oats in there but not a lot and a bit of flax instead of
eggs.
Also a lot of veggies that she wouldn't normally eat. I puree them. She
does know they are in there but doesn't seem to mind.


Let meatloaf be your savior, but how do you make meatloaf without touching
raw
meat?


So how do you get someone on a low carb diet who doesn't like low carb?


Just a suggestion, and I know how prickly you get when you actually get
help,
but I'd write a gut-wrenching letter to Rachel Ray and Dr Oz (In fact
todays
episode showed an extremely low-carb, gluten free, low fat, low calorie
pizza
that used cauliflower for the base...yes, this is where you tell us your
tale
of woe about her and veggies) and see if they think you would make a good
show
or even a good reality series. I'd also write to every food show on the
food
channel and see if anyone would take pity on you.

And then there are the clinical trials that you might qualify for, but of
course haven't looked for.



She has already made a few changes. When we go out for Mexican food she
has
part of an appetizer such as nachos or bean dip and chips with a salad
topped
with a piece of chicken.


all low-carb?


Gah! What to do! What to do?


You could of course actually involve your daughter in the solution instead
of
treating her like a baby. The fact that you tolerate her throwing food on
the
floor shows your inability to treat her like an adult. You could have her
cook
those raw meats you won't touch...but that would require you getting
involved
with her instead of her problem.


Where did I say that she threw food on the floor? I didn't. I said I found
it on the floor. How it got there I do not know. I really don't care.
Could be one of our cats did it. The kitten does like to get into the
trash. I did get a lidded trash can today. So if it is the cats doing it,
that problem will be solves unless they figure out how to open the lid.
Which they may well do because they are very smart.

As for touching raw meat... Do you really think she would do it? Nope.
She has no interest whatever in cooking. And that's fine. As long as she
knows how to get food that works for me. She can do stuff in the microwave.
My dad will soon turn 80 and my mom is 78. They rarely ever cook. Not
everyone enjoys that sort of thing. I do. I just don't like messing with
dead things.

It might be interesting to find out what she has done in regards to
searching
for answers to her problems...she is searching for answers, isn't she?


Why would she be searching for answers? She's 13!




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Critique of Owsley's zero carb diet Laurie Vegan 0 23-09-2007 06:21 PM
The Secret to Low-Carb Diet Success: Eat Less Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD General Cooking 1 04-12-2005 03:01 AM
Low carb diet- what to serve? CK General Cooking 12 10-12-2004 03:44 AM
Bad breath/low carb diet??? TOM KAN PA General Cooking 5 27-10-2004 02:52 AM
veg low carb diet? Michael Balarama Vegan 3 22-05-2004 05:46 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017